TEAM SHELBY FORUM

1987 Shelby GLHS At Barrett-Jackson L.V. Auction

shelbymotorsports

1987 GLHS #701, yes the one from eBay, is be auctioned off at the Las Vegas Barret-Jackson event later this month.

This may be the first 'S' car to go across Barrett-Jacksons stage so it will be interesting to see what the bidders say.

Steve

PS- Below is a thread on the car from last year.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/47568-22000-reserve-not-met-glhs-on-ebay/

Barrett is a great place to get the car in good hands. It looks like he polished the wheels since it was last for sale.

Yeah I also noticed that. He would have been better off just getting the clearcoat re-done because now the wheels will have to be "cut" to get back to the stock machined finish.

At 1,900 miles the car needs to be kept stock for most collectors.

Steve

Yeah I also noticed that. He would have been better off just getting the clearcoat re-done because now the wheels will have to be "cut" to get back to the stock machined finish.

At 1,900 miles the car needs to be kept stock for most collectors.

Steve

Yeah, I would want the stock finish too. It's got 2950 miles on it now per the auction details.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I personally saw that car at the Norwalk, OH Chrysler Classics a couple of years ago.

I would have left them stock as well.

Greg

Sold for $11,000 including buyer's commission.

Not too bad a price...

Perhaps for the buyer. I'm guessing the seller isn't too happy as after you take the $10k selling price and reduce it by the fee's paid to Barrett-Jackson he's walking away with around $8500. Now subtract another $500-$1k for getting the car out to Las Vegas he's down to $7500 in his pocket.

Now I have no idea what the B-J seller paid for this car but he purchased it from an ebay seller who had it listed on ebay last October for $25,000 This sale was handled off of ebay so I will take a guess that the B-J seller didn't pay anywhere close to $25k but I also doubt he paid $7-8k for it which to me means this B-J seller lost money investing in a Shelby Dodge for 11 months.

Just something to think about.

Steve

Perhaps for the buyer. I'm guessing the seller isn't too happy as after you take the $10k selling price and reduce it by the fee's paid to Barrett-Jackson he's walking away with around $8500. Now subtract another $500-$1k for getting the car out to Las Vegas he's down to $7500 in his pocket.

Now I have no idea what the B-J seller paid for this car but he purchased it from an ebay seller who had it listed on ebay last October for $25,000 This sale was handled off of ebay so I will take a guess that the B-J seller didn't pay anywhere close to $25k but I also doubt he paid $7-8k for it which to me means this B-J seller lost money investing in a Shelby Dodge for 11 months.

Just something to think about.

Steve

I agree Steve. When I saw the listing on the B-J website, I was relieved that at least it didn't go for stupid money like the 88 & 89 CSX's did. I felt it was well sold as it is probably higher than any enthusiast that was "in the know" would pay. But the way you break it down with the fees & commissions makes it fall into what would be expected on the higher end of the spectrum for an 87 GLHS.

The guy that must be sick today, is the one that sold the Bugatti Veyron last night which brought less than half it's purchase price when new. That car was certainly well bought. :dance:

The guy that must be sick today, is the one that sold the Bugatti Veyron last night which brought less than half it's purchase price when new. That car was certainly well bought. :dance:

Or not bought. Buyer backed out since he didn't have the coin. Craig Jackson bought the car on the spot and expects one of the under bidders to buy it from him.

Veyrons may not be holding value since they are SOOOOO expensive to service.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree Steve. When I saw the listing on the B-J website, I was relieved that at least it didn't go for stupid money like the 88 & 89 CSX's did. I felt it was well sold as it is probably higher than any enthusiast that was "in the know" would pay. But the way you break it down with the fees & commissions makes it fall into what would be expected on the higher end of the spectrum for an 87 GLHS.

I still think the S-cars are undervalued. My very lightly modded '87 sold for more than that not very long ago with 80k on the clock. I don't consider 20K "stupid" money for such a rare car(the Whittier stuff) with such a cool connection to a legend. At some point the mindset for these cars will move beyond the rusty, junkyard assembled, heap mentality-or not. :)

Archived