TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Opened my computer

ahdoman

I opened up my computer; first to make sure there wasn't a bunch of dirt inside and second just because I was curious. The chip in the lower left hand has the number "471" on it as does the case. Should that number match with my car number? It suprised me to see so much of the computer was sealed and the rubber was thick! You would have thought they would have made it a bit thinner to help with cooling.

post-29267-128374781721_thumb.jpg

post-29267-128374781721_thumb.jpg

I opened up my computer; first to make sure there wasn't a bunch of dirt inside and second just because I was curious. The chip in the lower left hand has the number "471" on it as does the case. Should that number match with my car number? It suprised me to see so much of the computer was sealed and the rubber was thick! You would have thought they would have made it a bit thinner to help with cooling.

The computers were not matched up with the truck.

Robert

Just a little note to help explain what you've seen. The top board with the heat sinks sticking above the gel is the power module part of the unit. it contains the voltage regulator, coil driver, and injector drivers (among other things). The lower board with the chip that has the 471 on it, is the logic portion of the module. They both are sealed in a gel to keep moisture away from the electronics.

The chip marked with the 471 is the eprom that contains the programming for the engine control. On the case should be a full 7 digit part number with the 471 as the last 3 digits (sometimes the last 3 digits are much larger than the rest). What is the full number you have? The reason I ask is that the number my reference has for the stock Shelby Dakota module is 4505475.

I assume your talking about the number on the case of the computer? If so it's 4516471. Why would this number be different and what does my number go to? I bought the truck from the original owner and he didn't indicate any type of computer change.

It appears the computer you have may be a Mopar replacement (or superceded part number) for the original Shelby custom ECU. The part number I supplied comes directly from the Mopar parts manual for 1989.

No worries.

Is it possible that it's the "performance" one? I've heard rumors that they produced such a computer.

I have both computers.. My STOCK 1989 computer that came in the truck is labeled 4516471 on the case. My performance computer is 4517636

Robert

Archived