TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Team Shelby Rocktoberfest car show cruise and get together

MMcGuirk

Nice show,great to meet some new friends ! Bill & Tony ,sorry I left without saying goodbye, had some buisness to attend to back home.Thanks to all that put on the show,very enjoyable with a big cross section of cars in the show field.

Chris

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow great show, great venue, we need to do this again. Thank you so much John for putting this together and Mike for flying in to help out as well. If there is any way I can help with anything you’re planning in the future please do not hesitate to ask, I would be more than happy to help.

There were some great cars there today and really a great group of people, my son and I enjoyed meeting everyone there today.

As for pictures, I know a lot of pictures were taken today by a number of people myself included, however, it is late so that will have to wait until tomorrow.

i feel stupid, I didnt attend the show because I didnt feel like it, then i forgot it was going to be some Shelby's there, and I just realized that at 8:30pm............cant believe I didnt put two and two together

i going to :slapfight: myself :hysterical:

Bend over I'll kick!!!! :hysterical: Ya missed a really great day!

Nice show,great to meet some new friends ! Bill & Tony ,sorry I left without saying goodbye, had some buisness to attend to back home.Thanks to all that put on the show,very enjoyable with a big cross section of cars in the show field.

Chris

Sorry I didn't get to talk to more Chris... I turned around and you were gone :speedie:

Wow great show, great venue, we need to do this again. Thank you so much John for putting this together and Mike for flying in to help out as well. If there is any way I can help with anything you’re planning in the future please do not hesitate to ask, I would be more than happy to help.

Three were some great cars there today and really a great group of people, my son and I enjoyed meeting everyone there today.

+1 we had a blast Thank you John and Mike, looking forward to doing it again!

Great event. Nice to see all the great vintage machines and the new muscle. Thanks John and Mike!

What happened to ya in New Hope Tony!?!?!? It took us awhile to figure out the pay parking, some pics and then we headed inside but didn't see ya.....

My parents rubbed it in my face, haha

the minute they walked in, they said " we saw couple of SuperSnakes" and after I heard the word SuperSnake............ :banghead::hysterical:

Super Snakes, 427's, Pace Cars, SGT's, some nice original stuff from the sixties.... let's see what else can I say to make you more upset..... Oh yeah GREAT people........... :hysterical:

Rocktoberfest cruise.jpgTriuph Brewwing Co.jpgHere a few pics, I didn't take many... way too busy keeping things on track with John.

We did hire a pro photographer and will post them as soon as he gives us the drive.

Car Storage Solutions at Sequoia Outback.jpg

Car Storage Solutions at Sequoia Outback.jpg

Triuph Brewwing Co.jpg

Rocktoberfest cruise.jpg

What happened to ya in New Hope Tony!?!?!? It took us awhile to figure out the pay parking, some pics and then we headed inside but didn't see ya.....

We went inside and we grabbed a coke and the hung in the lobby and when the hostess kept saying it was over an hour wait my son had to look of a spent kid had enough for the day. Since I wasn't sure what was going on we jumped back into the car and headed home. Great Day!!!

We went inside and we grabbed a coke and the hung in the lobby and when the hostess kept saying it was over an hour wait my son had to look of a spent kid had enough for the day. Since I wasn't sure what was going on we jumped back into the car and headed home. Great Day!!!

Okay I was afraid it was something I said.......... :hysterical2:

Looking forward to doing it again!

So glade everyone had a good time. Mike and I worked hard to put this together and it’s well worth it when people attend have fun and appreciate what we have done. This event will give us something to build on to make each one even better going forward. Thanks for coming see you next time…

There were some great cars there today and really a great group of people, my son and I enjoyed meeting everyone there today.

As for pictures, I know a lot of pictures were taken today by a number of people myself included, however, it is late so that will have to wait until tomorrow.

Hey Dave, Great to have met you and Jonathan glad you had a good time. I will be in touch we can use all the help we can get...

Work was slow this afternoon, so here goes...

(For those who just want to look at the pictures, here is the link )

http://s438.photobucket.com/albums/qq106/z-man1234/Team%20Shelby%20Rocktoberfest/?start=all

For those of you who don’t live in area where the show was held (I think we are now calling this the “Mid Atlantic” region of Team Shelby), the weather leading up to the show was terrible. We had about a week of solid rain, which caused widespread flooding on Friday afternoon. Many local roads were closed, bridges were washed out, and a few roads even crumbled due to large sink-holes which formed beneath them. My drive home from work on Friday, which normally takes about 40 minutes, took over an hour and a half as I tried three different routes to cross the Brandywine River. :banghead:

Saturday morning dawned bright and clear. No rain, and the winds through the night has helped the dry the roads. The day was off to a good start! :happy feet: We jumped in the GT500 and left just after 8:00 am. The roads were in surprisingly good shape considering that less than 12 hours before some of them were underwater.

When we arrived as the show, the first person we met was Mike McGuirk (Well, the day was off to a good start) :hysterical: . He recognized our orange FAI stripe, gave us a warm welcome, and told me to park in a prime spot just behind the registration table. As soon as we were parked, he gave me one of the coveted Team Shelby Rocktoberfest T-shirts (VERY nice by the way), and directed us inside to get breakfast. Breakfast was inside Sequoia Supply, which is a store that sells everything and anything you could imagine for your deck/patio (furniture, umbrella’s, grills, hot tubs, building materials, pergola’s, fountains, fire pits, and more). The place is amazing. Off to one side is an example of a grilling set-up. It was about 20’ long, had a granite counter top, multiple cook tops/grills, a rotisserie, food prep areas…..and best of all it was all functional. A chef was preparing omelets and breakfast potatoes to order. While we waited for our omelets, there was also fresh fruit salad, bagels and pastries. I was pretty hungry at this point, but my omelet was so big and so loaded, I couldn’t even finish the whole thing. The show hadn’t even really started yet, and already I was blown away by how well we were being taken care of. Mike joined us for a while and we chatted “cars” over eggs. About this time we meet John Keller. He made sure we were being taken care of, and that we had enough to eat (John…were you kidding??…I was stuffed!!!).

Back outside, more cars had arrived. Recognizing some of the cars from posts on-line, we began to introduce ourselves to other Team Shelby members. A nice mix of older and newer generation cars was developing. What really surprised me was the number of 427 pace cars. These have got to be pretty rare, and I counted five of them. Some were converted Super Snakes, and John’s was a KR. There was even a set of white ones (one coupe and one convertible). Other cars included a raw aluminum bodied 427 cobra. The owner bought the body on-line, but is has a ‘sketchy’ background. :headscratch: The history of the body is uncertain, but he believes it to be on of the older bodies made in Poland by the ex-aircraft mechanics who used to fabricate the aluminum fuselage and wing components for MIG fighter planes. Parked right behind it was the ‘infamous’ raw fiberglass bodied Cheapskate Racing Cobra. If you know this car, and the owner’s philosophy behind it, (Paint??? Who needs paint?...Paint just adds weight. If I painted it, I’d have to wax it, and then I’d worry about rock chips and stuff like that.) the juxtaposition of these two Cobras’ was quite humorous. A nice assortment of 2007 – 2009 GT500’s, as well as some 2010 – 2011 models. A super clean red 65/66 Resto-mod Mustang Fastback with a Roush prepped engine. It was lowered and had a Thunder-bolt hood on it (the owner also has a real Thunder-bolt). This car was SICK. The more you looked at it, the better it became. There were many subtle nuances to the car (ala Chip Foose designs) that all worked together to really make it stand-out. There was a 69 Shelby convertible painted in Grabber Green. The owner thought it was a one-of-one color, but there was some debate on that point. Even if it wasn’t a ‘one of”, it was still a spectacular example of Shelby history.

It was now a little after 12:00, and we headed back inside for lunch, not that we were hungry, but just to see what was happening. Once again the grill ‘fired up’. This time, gourmet burgers were being cooked up. The smelled and looked so good, Mrs. Z and I decided to split one. The chef passed us each our own and told us to “eat up.” I’m glad she did, because they were delicious. The best burger I have had in a while (I’ll go so far as to say they were even better than the ones I make). There were sides of potato and macaroni salads, as well as all the burger fixin’s. :drool:

After chowing down again, we headed down to look at John’s new indoor storage facility. It’s very nice, and he has multiple options available to store your car. From a basic stall, surrounded with a sturdy plastic fencing material (to keep others out and protect your car from dings/damage), to fully enclosed bays that will even accommodate a car stacker so that you can store two cars in the same ‘foot print’. The storage area is climate controlled, very clean, secure, and accessible every day of the week. Look’s like John has another winner in the making. I’d store one of my cars there in a minute, if I didn’t live so far away.

Back outside we walked through the rest of the Rocktoberfest car show. There was some pretty nice stuff, and a wide variety too. There were even some vehicles I had never see before (did you know that Corvair made a pick-up type utility truck, and a camper variant?). I would guess over 250’ish cars in all…maybe more. We listened to the band for a while. You can Google Flamin’ Dick and the Hot Rods, if you are so inclined, to get a look at them. There were folks dancing, and I saw at least one Poodle Skirt.

Awards were given out a little after 3:00, and much to my surprise and delight, I was awarded a plaque as one of the Top Ten Shelby’s in the show :dance::dance::dance: (and yes Mrs. Z, there were more than 10 Shelby’s in the show….you were there and know there were at least 11.)

As the show was wrapping up, we prepped our car for the afternoon cruise through the country. We were so busy talking with other people and taking pictures, we didn’t realize we were not given a map or directions to follow until the cars started to leave. Mike was driving a Grabber Orange Super Snake 427 Pace Car, and told us and some other folks to just follow him. His car kind of stuck out, so he figured he would be hard to lose in traffic. :shift: Four of us ended up losing him at the second turn (less than 2 minutes after leaving the show) :rant2: , but we quickly regrouped, backtracked, and found him (and everyone else) patiently waiting for us on the side of the road. This time John took the lead, and Mike drove ‘sweep’ with all the other cars sandwiched in between. This worked well until we hit some traffic lights. We had two more cars in our ‘parade’ than we could cross in a single cycle of the lights. I was second to last car, and not willing to run the light or cause a problem, watched as the rest of the group drive out of sight. :doh: This led to a group of exchanges where every time we stopped either Mike would quickly exit his car, run up to my window, and give us the next few turns, or I would run back to him and find out where we were going. After a few twists/turns, we again found the group waiting for us in a small parking lot. We regrouped on the fly, and I moved up a space in the line. We made the next traffic light with a slight squeal of the tires, but a SGT and Mike still got stuck behind. We drove until we found gas station to pull into and waited. Some cars had to fill up anyway, so it worked out well, and we got a chance to stretch our legs. When everyone had caught up and filled up, Mike blocked traffic, and we all pulled out. What a sight we must have been. Things went pretty well, as there were fewer lights on the remainder of the drive. I must say that Mrs. Z helps to keep me out of trouble, and has a very responsible view of “speed” and when it is appropriate. She keeps me slower through residential areas :redcard: , then asks me why I’m not “punching it” when the road is clear and we have good visibility. She likes the whine of the supercharger just as much as I do, and is another set of eyes to look out for dreaded black-and –white objects hiding along the side of the road. We drove through some nice scenic areas, got stuck behind a guy towing a horse trailer who managed to burn up either his clutch or his brakes on the hills, crossed from PA to NJ, drove along the Delaware River to Lambertville, then crossed back over into New Hope, PA.

Arriving in New Hope, we took a ‘lap’ of the town. I’ll describe it as an artist’s colony, with lots of neat shops and studio’s selling eclectic clothing, furniture, jewelry, sculpture and artwork. It has many good restaurants, and bars. People watching is a major activity, as the place is always packed, and the cross section of humanity is diverse to say the least. Three piece suits/bikers/throw back punk rockers/hippies/Goth/Mom & Dad with the kids….they are all there…all getting along and having a good time together. :slapfight:

Our final destination for the evening was the Triumph Brewing Company. There was a nice parking lot nearby. I had parked in that lot before and knew that if you drove to the back (which most people don’t even realize is part of the same parking lot) there was a nice area we could all park together. Before going in for dinner, we lined up all the cars for a group shot. There was barely enough light for the photos, and we did the final pictures with the lights from all our cars turned on.…is was pretty cool.

The Triumph Brewing Company was celebrating Oktoberfest, so it fit right in with our Rocktoberfest Car Show theme. The place was hopping when we arrived. The waitresses were either dressed like the St. Paulie Girl’s somewhat naughty sister, or were wearing lederhosen. Based on what I saw, lederhosen must be German for Hot-pants with suspenders. We got a table upstairs, settled in, and as we placed our dinner orders, the band started to play. We had a great time talking, laughing, eating and responsibly sampling the restaurants’ home made malted beverages. I was the designated driver, so I only had a taste of Mrs. Z’s Oktoberfest selection, but it was probably the creamiest and smoothest brew I have ever tasted….kudos to the Brew Meister! :salute:

We said our good byes and headed out around 9:00, as we had an hour and a half ride home, but other Team Shelby members were still going strong as New Hope faded in our rear view mirror.

All in all, a truly excellent event. If you were thinking about going and missed it, you really made a bad call. We got to put some faces with screen names, make some new friends, see some great cars, have allot of fun, and eat allot of food (nobody told me Team Shelby was fattening!). Even forgetting for a moment that this was a first time event, just to see how things would go for future events, this was by far the best car show I have even been in. Hell, to call it a car show is an insult. This was a happening, a day long party, a celebration of all things Shelby (a “Shelebration”?), and a tremendous success.

I would like to personally thank John and Mike for setting this up, and offer my support for future events in this region (much to the eye rolling of Mrs.Z :censored: ). I’m not sure what I expected from this event, but what you delivered exceeds anything I could have imagined. My Shelby Stetson is tipped to your honor, and I am looking forward to meeting you both again soon.

As for the other people we met (Mr/Mrs Doug_GT350, J&DGT500, Old School, etc.) keep in touch and drop a PM every once in a while. It was great to meet you all.

Here a few pictures for those who could not attend. All the photos I took are posted on Photobucket. Feel free to download any you like.

Z-man

DSC_0180.jpg

DSC_0214.jpg

DSC_0220.jpg

DSC_0238.jpg

DSC_0262.jpg

DSC_0270.jpg

DSC_0319.jpg

DSC_0380.jpg

Chris

No prob. Hope to catch up with you again Chris.

Tony

Sorry about that. We had called ahead and got seated right away once we all got in the restaurant. I guess we should have been more thorough in communicating.

Anyway, thanks for coming. I look forward to seeing you again when we all have our 350s!!

Michael

Nice show,great to meet some new friends ! Bill & Tony ,sorry I left without saying goodbye, had some business to attend to back home.Thanks to all that put on the show,very enjoyable with a big cross section of cars in the show field.

Chris

I went inside, and when I came back out you had left. I had intended to talk to you more, and take some pictures of your car....guess we'll have to do that at the next event. Glad it wasn't an emergency back home that made you leave (having to go back for 'business' is bad enough) :jackinbox:

Thank you for the detailed post show report Z-man....almost like I was there myself. I had a long chat with McGuirk today, and he gave me the full run down.

The Grabber green vintage Shelby is a 1969.

Thanks! I'll edit my post to correct the date on the "69". It really stood out in that color! :drool:

The cobra you spoke about is a Kirkham. Very expensive but, well done car

I asked the owner if it was a Kirkham because that what I thought it might be. He said it wasn't, and relayed the details I posted....go figure. :headscratch:

Update: I did some Googling and found out that Kirkham is the company from Poland. For some reason I thought Kirkham was from England. I guess you learn something new every day. Maybe the owner wasn't sure who Kirkham was either.

Hey Z-man thanks for the wright up and all the pics. You can be the Mid Atlantic Offical photographer. :salute:

No problem John....just wait until you get my bill!!!! :hysterical:

Archived