TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Next years GT500

dbowles22

Looking at matters strictly from a Ford perspective, it would make very much sense to phase-out GT500 in favor of BOSS 302 (or some other premium variant).

Ford has adopted a very pragmatic approach to product selection which has been a key to its turnaround. If Ford is limiting GT500 production to 5,500 units, figuring there's another - say $5,000 per unit to be had in gross profit - that's only $25M in GROSS profit from which Ford must support the entire program. From a sheer dollars-and-cents perspective, let alone the additional resources in terms of development, tooling, and facilities it must maintain to support a unique powertrain within the production infrastructure, and given the many other places Ford could allocate capital and risk more wisely, GT500 becomes an easy give-up, especially if a product can be substituted that an exist wholly within the standard Mustang production scheme.

Sure, there may be some additional brand equity value to be had that spills over to GT and V6 in terms of Camaro cross-shoppers, but it's minimal given that those who choose Camaro are doing so DESPITE its performance deficit - it's all a "looks" thing. You're just not going to sell many rosaries to protestants.

Furthermore, with the 2016 CAFE standards drawing tighter each year, Ford's certainly not looking for ways to keep large displacement engines in its lineup - which will only become disproportionately expensive to build - and sell, not to mention the shaky economy. 2011 GT500 may represent investments already made in the aluminum 5.4 as a hedge when times were brighter - or when less was known about the Z28 program and other practical realities.

It may be tough to see "big n bold" products like GT500 go by the wayside, but Ford's certainly not doing so without making huge investments to raise the level of its "mainstream" products. If it can come up with a way to market the equivalent of an FR GT500 "kit" based upon the Coyote 5.0L that can be dealer-installed and warrantied, it can even maintain the segment if it markets itself right (but it would take the kind of marketing skill auto makers are famous for lacking). In the meantime, there's certainly nothing wrong with Ford moving to a supercharged Coyote under the Cobra (or GT500) name - delivering more than 500 horsepower with far fewer compromised due to the car fitting into the normal production process.

At the end of the day, there's no way to know - only to guess what's possible - and then likely. To me, everything is based upon the lack of feasibility in Ford continuing to support the 5.4L as a boutique engine within its passenger car division - and any future live the GT500 may have (beyond 2012 or even this year) is likely to be based upon what Ford decides to do make of the Coyote which, apart from being slightly smaller, seems to be far more advanced.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow!

This just doesn't add up. Less than an 18 month run with the AL 5.4L block with sputter technology cylinder liners and the huge cost associated with it's development and tooling? If Ford knew they were going to phase out the 5.4 but wanted to have a "step" change for the relatively limited run of 2011 GT500's... they could have used the existing FRPP Ford GT AL 5.4L block with iron cylinder sleeves right off the shelf. I wouldn't be surprised if some management heads rolled over this costly decision.

Wow!

This just doesn't add up. Less than an 18 month run with the AL 5.4L block with sputter technology cylinder liners and the huge cost associated with it's development and tooling? If Ford knew they were going to phase out the 5.4 but wanted to have a "step" change for the relatively limited run of 2011 GT500's... they could have used the existing FRPP Ford GT AL 5.4L block with iron cylinder sleeves right off the shelf. I wouldn't be surprised if some management heads rolled over this costly decision.

No, not really. You simply do what you can with the fact you have according to circumstances that exist at the time. If the outlay was inordinate, the only thing Ford could do to make it worse would be to continue to invest a single cent further it could better-invest elsewhere. And thank God these are the kinds of decisions Ford seems to be - at long last - willing to embrace rather than run from.

I'd be VERY surprised if the Plasma Arc technology isn't used elsewhere, especially as Ford continues to press for more performance from less displacement (and weight). They may also be able to carry-over some of the lessons learned from the 5.4 back to the truck division from whence much of it came. The real problem is that with the economy uncertain, fuel economy mandates looming, and Ford wanting/needing to return itself to investment grade status, much of what eventually comes to market may be the product of two or three other factors or events otherwise wholly-unrelated to it.

The kind of death grip auto makers used to keep upon money they had already spent has really started to fade, especially as folks like Mulally, Whitacre, and those who've learned from them have begun breaking down so much of the "car think" whereby the making of cars was governed by practices and principles that made sense absolutely nowhere else. Again, thank God for it.

If the Al 5.4 is destined to only ever be a 1-year "one-off", I wouldn't be at-all surprised. Up until the day Ford announced Mercury was to be shuttered, as many as 12 new or re-engineered vehicles were being promised to LM dealers - and I'm sure that more than one Tier 1 supplier began making prototypes of Mercury Tracer interior components. With there being no such thing as "normal", and Detroit only getting a sense of what next week will look like, let alone next year, I think the standard anybody is being held to is whether any decision made was sound, rational, and the best at that time. Hell, Ford just announced it won't be building the 2012 Kuga (Escape) for Europe in the U.S. after all because the Euro has become so weak. What's great to me is that Ford has become so nimble. Changing production locations only a year out used to be unthinkable.

I don't see anything about the Aluminum 5.4 being inconsistent with that then - or if it were abandoned, and used pretty-much as a limited technology proof, since. In fact, if GT500 were to wind down at the end of 2011, it would explain the drims-and-drams production that seems to be going on as they try to ration unique components without having to commit to further overproduction - but that's just me playing with a crystal ball and imagining mysterious figures on a grassy knoll. :)

I think it makes sense to phase out the 5.4 as there won't be any other vehicles utilizing the engine. All the trucks are going to different engine platforms and the 5.4 was mainly a truck engine. I'm not sure how much Ford has invested in the PTWA development and tooling for application but like was stated previously I'm positive it will be utilized in future engine applications.

Looking at matters strictly from a Ford perspective, it would make very much sense to phase-out GT500 in favor of BOSS 302 (or some other premium variant).

Ford has adopted a very pragmatic approach to product selection which has been a key to its turnaround. If Ford is limiting GT500 production to 5,500 units, figuring there's another - say $5,000 per unit to be had in gross profit - that's only $25M in GROSS profit from which Ford must support the entire program. From a sheer dollars-and-cents perspective, let alone the additional resources in terms of development, tooling, and facilities it must maintain to support a unique powertrain within the production infrastructure, and given the many other places Ford could allocate capital and risk more wisely, GT500 becomes an easy give-up, especially if a product can be substituted that an exist wholly within the standard Mustang production scheme.

Sure, there may be some additional brand equity value to be had that spills over to GT and V6 in terms of Camaro cross-shoppers, but it's minimal given that those who choose Camaro are doing so DESPITE its performance deficit - it's all a "looks" thing. You're just not going to sell many rosaries to protestants.

Furthermore, with the 2016 CAFE standards drawing tighter each year, Ford's certainly not looking for ways to keep large displacement engines in its lineup - which will only become disproportionately expensive to build - and sell, not to mention the shaky economy. 2011 GT500 may represent investments already made in the aluminum 5.4 as a hedge when times were brighter - or when less was known about the Z28 program and other practical realities.

It may be tough to see "big n bold" products like GT500 go by the wayside, but Ford's certainly not doing so without making huge investments to raise the level of its "mainstream" products. If it can come up with a way to market the equivalent of an FR GT500 "kit" based upon the Coyote 5.0L that can be dealer-installed and warrantied, it can even maintain the segment if it markets itself right (but it would take the kind of marketing skill auto makers are famous for lacking). In the meantime, there's certainly nothing wrong with Ford moving to a supercharged Coyote under the Cobra (or GT500) name - delivering more than 500 horsepower with far fewer compromised due to the car fitting into the normal production process.

At the end of the day, there's no way to know - only to guess what's possible - and then likely. To me, everything is based upon the lack of feasibility in Ford continuing to support the 5.4L as a boutique engine within its passenger car division - and any future live the GT500 may have (beyond 2012 or even this year) is likely to be based upon what Ford decides to do make of the Coyote which, apart from being slightly smaller, seems to be far more advanced.

Very thought-provoking post! I believe you're on to something that actually makes sense.

I'm not sure why the attitude here about the inevitable end to the 5.4 is so dark. The car is more likely going to get better.

Although the AL 5.4 is a good motor, and I love how my 2011 pulls, I have no reason to think that Ford doesn't have BIGGER plans for its top Mustang. The competition (Chevrolet Camaro, and to a lesser extent the Dodge Challenger) are upping displacement and power. Ford has a readily available 6.2 liter of its own, a new motor designed initially as a race motor by SVT. I think you're going to see a 600+ hp 6.2 in the next top end Mustang, whether it's labeled as an SVT Cobra or a Shelby. I think it's also interesting that the 6.2 going in the trucks is a heavy duty big bore, short stroke design. Even a modest stroking of that motor could result in even more power in the upper RPM range.

As for the 2016 CAFE standards, fleet averages are all that matter. Ford can sell 5,000 6.2 liter high profit cars that, due to variable valve timing, gearing and tuning variables, average 20 mpg, because it will sell 200,000 high mpg fiestas. The CAFE standards are a factor in development, but are not the primary factor - which is sales and profitability.

I own a 2011 SVTPP coupe that I really enjoy. I didn't buy a '10 because of the AL motor rumors for the '11. If I didn't already own the '11, I'd wait until next spring for '12 info to firm up.

I'm wrong about something several times per day, and this is all just speculation, but I really think the sky is just getting brighter and brighter.

I'm not sure why the attitude here about the inevitable end to the 5.4 is so dark. The car is more likely going to get better.

Although the AL 5.4 is a good motor, and I love how my 2011 pulls, I have no reason to think that Ford doesn't have BIGGER plans for its top Mustang. The competition (Chevrolet Camaro, and to a lesser extent the Dodge Challenger) are upping displacement and power. Ford has a readily available 6.2 liter of its own, a new motor designed initially as a race motor by SVT. I think you're going to see a 600+ hp 6.2 in the next top end Mustang, whether it's labeled as an SVT Cobra or a Shelby. I think it's also interesting that the 6.2 going in the trucks is a heavy duty big bore, short stroke design. Even a modest stroking of that motor could result in even more power in the upper RPM range.

As for the 2016 CAFE standards, fleet averages are all that matter. Ford can sell 5,000 6.2 liter high profit cars that, due to variable valve timing, gearing and tuning variables, average 20 mpg, because it will sell 200,000 high mpg fiestas. The CAFE standards are a factor in development, but are not the primary factor - which is sales and profitability.

I own a 2011 SVTPP coupe that I really enjoy. I didn't buy a '10 because of the AL motor rumors for the '11. If I didn't already own the '11, I'd wait until next spring for '12 info to firm up.

I'm wrong about something several times per day, and this is all just speculation, but I really think the sky is just getting brighter and brighter.

i hope what you've said proves to be on target. I'm planning to trade my 2010 coupe for a 2012 vert and the 6.2 liter engine would be a dream come true...

This may already have been asked/answered, but if so I missed it: Does Shelby have a finite licensing agreement with Ford for the use of the "Shelby" and/or "GT500" name? If so, when does it expire? That might offer a clue as to when Ford performance Mustangs revert in name at least to "Cobra" instead of "Shelby GT500".

Or, since licenses can be renewed, is there any news of that?

This may already have been asked/answered, but if so I missed it: Does Shelby have a finite licensing agreement with Ford for the use of the "Shelby" and/or "GT500" name? If so, when does it expire? That might offer a clue as to when Ford performance Mustangs revert in name at least to "Cobra" instead of "Shelby GT500".

Or, since licenses can be renewed, is there any news of that?

The rumor I heard was that Shelby and Ford signed a five year deal....Well looking at 2007-2011 models, that is a 5 year span....But who knows for sure except Shelby and Ford....Remember I did say RUMOR!!!!!!!!!!

It's not going to be either of those factors, but BOTH of them. And for as long as the economy remains anywhere NEAR where it is, 200,000 Fiestas is a pipe dream - and Ford is not likely to make commitments to larger future engines when it has such a capable 5.0 platform to develop. Ford may ultimately NEED to bring an A segment vehicle (Ka) to North America simply for the purpose of giving Taurus, Flex, Explorer, and its other larger-displacement vehicles breathing room - particularly for as long as Americans continue to return to large vehicles at the first sign of any economic safe harbor.

CAFE's going to have all SORTS of impacts upon product decisions. We've already seen the first in MKZ Hybrid being priced equivalently to the conventionally-powered model, and pricing is likely to be affected FAR more by makers' intentions to influence product mix and capitalize on exclusivity rather than the traditional factors of manufacturing or component costs.

If there are to be "one off" models like GT500 that use a discrete powertrain to preserve performance and pedigree, it's likely to come with punitive pricing - both to offset the significantly higher production cost and capitalize on what is likely to be lesser availability of vehicles that satisfy the craving certain segments have for large displacements. EcoBoost is a phenomenal suite of technologies, and the way it deploys torque across the entire rev range is nothing short of incredible, but it's just NOT a big V8 roar and kick in the pants.

Much will depend upon Z28, but also don't go looking for Ford to go chasing shadows and head fakes, especially when the market for Z28 isn't yet known. $25M in potential additional aggregate earnings is absolutely nothing compared to costs that can be saved elsewhere (which are not subject to taxation) or could be invested in turning Coyote into Ford's last great mass production V8 - and the fact that it has the cajones to stand toe-to-toe with the LS6 speaks volumes.

I'm sure Ford has gamed-out scenarios for all these eventualities and is keeping its options open, but there's absolutely nothing about the Mulally-era Ford, especially in a post-2009 marketspace that makes a 6.2-based Mustang likely. Bear in mind - CAFE standards don't just drop into makers' laps in 2016 - they become increasingly stringent each year until then.

I'd be happy to know if there is even going to be a 2012 GT500.

guess you missed this :headscratch:

"Carroll spent hours with the design team going over the '12 and '13 GT500. Jim Owens told me that the designers would sit there waiting for his every word"

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/featuredvehicles/mump_100616_john_luft_shelby_american_president_exclusive_interview/index.html

"Carroll spent hours with the design team going over the '12 and '13 GT500. Jim Owens told me that the designers would sit there waiting for his every word"

http://www.mustangmo...view/index.html

As I'm sure Mercury's design team spent long hours dedicated to creating a unique re-badged identity for 2012 Tracer of the Global Focus, right up until the moment Ford announced the program (and the brand) were cancelled.

Project planning and management doesn't only occur by what's made quoted as work underway in articles.

Project planning and management doesn't only occur by what's made quoted as work underway in articles.

Often the left hand doesn't know what is going on with the right in any size corporation, let alone one the size of Ford. I've been laid off (I design computers, not cars) just days after my boss and 2-3 levels of higher ups in the management chain have sworn that the project was solid. All it takes is the CEO reading a WSJ article about how the company is spending too much in engineering costs, then seeing the his stock dip, taking 20' out of the yacht he was planning to build, to instantly change things.

Rumors accompanying the Z28 "spy photos" have the Z28 being offically announced in early 2011 and showing up as a 2012 in the fall of 2011. The announced Boss specs just don't have it being competitive (stop light drag wise) with the 6.2L 556 HP, 551 ft/lbs, detuned ZR1 engine that is pretty much certain to power the Z28. I suspect the 2012 Shelby GT500 gets that job and gets engine/drivetrain upgrades of some sort to make sure it is more than competive.

Probably not 5.4 based as all indications are that Ford is moving away from that block. It isn't clear to me that Ford could make a 3 year warranty version of the 5.0 that makes GT500/Z28 power without getting all sort of exotic on the internals. Maybe with DI and turbos and going the eco-boost route? Right now a 4V version of the current Boss 6.2L light truck engine with Al. block seems more likely to me. This theory has the 2011 GT500 5.4L pioneering the limited production technology to prove such a block would work financially, warranty and manufacturing wise. Roush was drag racing a 7000 RPM, 700 HP, 7.0L version of a pre-production Boss engine in a Mustang prior to its Raptor introduction, and given SVTs work with the engine in the Raptor, it just doesn't seem that far a stretch.

So Ford holds off announcing the 2012 Shelby GT500 until 2012 Z28 is official in Jan. 2011, Chevy has locked in on Z28 power and performance numbers, and right around when the Boss is hitting the streets in the spring, so Boss sales aren't squelched. Then, ideally the new 2012 GT500 shows up in the fall with big time power from a 6.2L derived engine, and a few new options co-developed with the Boss(car), like Recaros and a Torsen diff. Just in time so that we don't have to read about 2011 GT500 or 2012 Boss Mustangs getting pounded on in the 1/4 mile by Z28s in the inevitable comparison articles .

But this is all some sort of wishful thinking and guess work from an electrical engineer with no connections to Ford....

I'm looking forward to revisiting this forum a few months from now. As a matter of fact, it might be a good idea to make it a sticky just so it's easer to find in the future.

Changes? Yes, a couple/few.

Complete demise? Not yet, but everyone can go ahead and believe what they want to believe about the demise of the 2012 GT500. These "the end is here" forums pop up about this time every year for the last 4 years, and GT500's continue to roll off the assembly line year after year.

I'm looking forward to revisiting this forum a few months from now. As a matter of fact, it might be a good idea to make it a sticky just so it's easer to find in the future.

Complete demise? Not yet, but everyone can go ahead and believe what they want to believe about the demise of the 2012 GT500. These "the end is here" forums pop up about this time every year for the last 4 years, and GT500's continue to roll off the assembly line year after year.

Come on Son Of Gt tell us some good information you have to have some in site on next year model :happy feet:

As will the inevitable retorts that purport any discussion that even remotely mentions how, if, or when GT500 might change or end from one year to the next are necessarily declarations of certainty about its demise.

I've just been watching this forum since I started it because I was curious to what others were thinking. It's all speculation and everyone has the right to their own opinion.

Me? I'm still in college, so as long as theres still GT500s or any other shelby on the road in 5 years, I'll be happy as can be driving my used or new shelby.

please dont take it as disrespectful having a young "punk" disrupt the thread. Ive got so much respect for these cars, their owners, and the people who busted their b@lls producing them. I look foward to the day that I get to call one of these beautiful machines my own

PS- God Bless 9-11-01 Never Forgotten

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/featuredvehicles/mump_100616_john_luft_shelby_american_president_exclusive_interview/index.html

A friend of mine told me today that the Flatrock Plant will no longer be producing the GT500 after this year.....He said that everything is moving back to Vegas after this year....He said he was talking to some of the guys at some Mustang Rally.....Called Woodrull or something like that.....Again everything is rumors that I am hearing...Doesn't make it true. Does anyone know someone that works in that plant to see if this info is in fact correct?

Has anyone thought that maybe Mr Shelby was talking with the designers about his post title products of what he would like to see so that the two companies can work hand in hand with the GT350? I know in articles that I have read before that is a big thing that Shelby wants to do is expand their post title and after market business....

A friend of mine told me today that the Flatrock Plant will no longer be producing the GT500 after this year.....He said that everything is moving back to Vegas after this year....He said he was talking to some of the guys at some Mustang Rally.....Called Woodrull or something like that.....Again everything is rumors that I am hearing...Doesn't make it true. Does anyone know someone that works in that plant to see if this info is in fact correct?

Has anyone thought that maybe Mr Shelby was talking with the designers about his post title products of what he would like to see so that the two companies can work hand in hand with the GT350? I know in articles that I have read before that is a big thing that Shelby wants to do is expand their post title and after market business....

Well, Flat Rock is a joint assembly venture with Mazda, so it's always depended upon coordination of both brands product to make things work. Ford now also has excess capacity at Louisville after announcing it would not produce for export European Kugas from the Escape production line, so there may be capacity there that could accommodate future Mustang production.

With the Ford facing labor renegotiations next year with the UAW who has not only held Ford to higher wage rates than GM and Chrysler, but happens to own significant shares of them as well, Ford has been doing some muscle flexing in terms of sending a clear message that its "global" initiative allows it to manufacture what and where it chooses - and the fact that it's actually cheaper to build in Europe is meant to make a strong statement in advance of those negotiations.

The bottom-line is that there are a lot of moving parts here, and in addition to some being strategic and others being tactical, many have absolutely nothing to do with Mustang, making them "effect" rather than "cause". While I have no idea whether Ford will be producing Mustangs at Flat Rock (versus moving it to other facilities in advance of the S197 successor), but nothing would surprise me in terms of ANYTHING Ford did to make clear that anyone who dare presume ANYTHING in advance of a labor contract does so at his own peril.

My $.02.

what plant does Ford have in Vegas to make cars?

Some dated but perhaps-relevant news:

Concerning a twin-turbo 5.0 GT500 for 2012. Good. Turbos, even with their lag pretty much eliminated by now, just aren't quite Right There, nor look/sound as cool, as a blower. [My dad once told me there are only two ways in life you can get something for nothing: (1) jerking off, (2) bolting a supercharger onto an engine. ;)]

Googling "2012 GT500" I don't see much of anything new/newsy, but lots of stuff about the "2012 Boss". This is starting to sound like 1969 déjà vu, wherein the once-unique GT500s & GT350s were being crowded out, if not upstaged by the Mach 1 and Boss Mustangs. 1969 Shelbys were a hard-sell, resulting in the 800 leftovers being re-VINed as 1970s for clearance and the Shelby-Mustang line being discontinued.

Now on the Ford side of the fence we see the new Boss [and possibly Mach 1], and on the Shelby side of the fence the new GT350 and Super Snake modification program. All this kind of squishes the GT500 in the middle, just as in 1969-70. Not to mention the continuing label-contest on the car as to who gets its name in more places: Shelby or SVT? How much room is there for a wide variety of performance/specialty Mustangs, and how much extra are people willing to pay for the Shelby-name on a car?

And of course this is still September 2010. We're not even officially in the 2011 model-year yet, and already it's a wrap and all the 2011s pre-sold. Seems premature to either acclaim or bury the 2012.

if I were going to crapshoot, I'd say no GT500s produced for 2012 and maximum hype on the Boss instead. Then for 2013 possibly reintroduce an SVT Cobra model if the Boss doesn't seem sufficient. Somewhere in the middle of all this is the 500-lb CAFE canary in the room, making it progressively tougher for muscle cars generally. Ahead of us a dark future of weenie cars with gigantic Cobra hood graphics and silly body kits ... like I said, déjà vu. :(

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

This thread has made me fall asleep twice today just trying to read through the last few pages...

You know, if enough people write their own theory on this thread, someone is bound to be right!! :hysterical:

Sure seems like people are getting really touchy lately....is it the economy, the summer, whats up eveyone? Where is that happy family we all used to have? :headscratch:

Ford has a contract that ALLOWS them to build the GT500 for the next two model years. It doesnt have to be a 5.4 though....maybe a 6.2 is on the way? Who knows? Its totally up tp Ford, and they are free to make up their minds as they wish!!

Complete demise of the 2012 GT500. the end is here

THERE IT IS!!! Son of GT confirmed it, there will be NO 2012 GT500!!!! :cry:

Complete demise of the 2012 GT500. the end is here

THERE IT IS!!! Son of GT confirmed it, there will be NO 2012 GT500!!!! :cry:

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

Good one. :salute:

No plant in Vegas but Shelby American is located there.

Yeah, and it makes no sense that Ford will ship cars to Shelby to be upfitted into GT500's. That cost of the car would jump at least 20k for the same offering as the current car, so who's going to but it?

So we can dismiss that rumor as being bogus.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz ... This thread has made me fall asleep twice today just trying to read through the last few pages...

smiley-sleep026.gif Hey, wake up! This is extremely important, um, uh ...

Ford has a contract that ALLOWS them to build the GT500 for the next two model years.

Well, in that case the assertions above that Shelby/Ford had a five-year contract 2007-2011 are wrong. If it's a 7-year contract through 2013, then of course Ford will do the GT500 at least to then, since the line is set up and they're apparently selling all they build. They could do the Boss and/or a new Mach 1 simultaneously, see which one is the most profitable, and phase out the others in a couple of years if sensible.

Archived