TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Next years GT500

dbowles22

Very interesting. A couple of questions, if you don't mind...

1) Is there a similar "program" that Ford dealers need to explicitly sign up for in order to sell the Boss 302 cars? If so, have details of that program been shared with the dealers already?

2) In the event that the GT500 reverted to "just an SVT car", wouldn't you expect that there would be a specific program around that too? And thus far this is one you haven't seen yet?

Thanks!

As Grabber was kind enough to share above, the allocation program for Boss 302's has been communicated to dealers. However, final pricing & allocation #'s per each individual dealer will not be shared with dealers until this fall, per Ford.

If the GT500 becomes the SVT Cobra, I don't think an allocation model like the Boss 302 (which was similar to the 2007 GT500 allocation model, by the way) will be used. SVT did use a "share of nation" formula prior the 2005 model year to distribute SVT models, but there were no lotteries for the mainstream SVT vehicles (i.e. Cobra, Focus, Lightning). The only lotteries we saw were for "R" model Cobras. Share of nation essentially rewards prior year's total Mustang sales with extra SVT products the following years. Ford also uses share of nation formulas for launching other specialty vehicles such as the all-new 2011 Fiesta (based on prior year's Focus sales, for example). While I believe their program is far from perfect, the intent is good and is equitable to some degree.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally I would like to see SVT come back with the Cobra and drop the GT500. That's just me.

I believe it's only a matter of time before it happens.

I liked for Ford to drop the GT500 as well and make a Cobra. Then let Shelby actually make a GT500 along the lines of Roush and Saleen's offerings.

Interesting discussion, especially for a newbie! Thanks Five-Oh and Grabber for the explanations!

If Ford didn't need to pay a license fee any more for the Shelby name, perhaps that might free up enough cash to go to a further upgraded engine with TVS supercharger while maintaining more-or-less the same price point. And they might introduce the program a few months later than normal to give the Boss 302 a chance to corner the hype, without internal competition. Then once the Boss is sold out, then wham! along comes the SVT GT600 Cobra with 600+ hp!

All 100% speculation on my part - fun nonetheless!

ram_g

2011 Coupe, Kona Blue, SVTPP, electronics, stripe delete.

Interesting discussion, especially for a newbie! Thanks Five-Oh and Grabber for the explanations!

If Ford didn't need to pay a license fee any more for the Shelby name, perhaps that might free up enough cash to go to a further upgraded engine with TVS supercharger while maintaining more-or-less the same price point. And they might introduce the program a few months later than normal to give the Boss 302 a chance to corner the hype, without internal competition. Then once the Boss is sold out, then wham! along comes the SVT GT600 Cobra with 600+ hp!

All 100% speculation on my part - fun nonetheless!

ram_g

2011 Coupe, Kona Blue, SVTPP, electronics, stripe delete.

The boss is cheaper than the GT500 by a large enough margin for competition not to exist. It would be like saying "Mustang GT or 911 Carrera S...they both have similar power...which one...should I buy?"

I am VERY curious what Ford has planned for the Z28's competator.

The boss is cheaper than the GT500 by a large enough margin for competition not to exist. It would be like saying "Mustang GT or 911 Carrera S...they both have similar power...which one...should I buy?"

I don't see it the same way. While we don't know how much the Boss LS will be, mid-to-high 40's is a reasonable assumption - 5 to 10K lower than the GT500, and certainly close enough to steal some sales. With ADM, which seems almost inevitable, the two will be priced on top of each other.

Not that I regret buying my '11 GT500, but if the Boss were out I would have cross-shopped them before buying. I doubt I'm the only one.

(Edit: heck, for that matter, I DID cross-shop the GT vs. the GT500 before I selected the latter. Again, I doubt I'm the only one.)

The 911 starts in the 80's - that's 25K more than the GT500.

I don't see it the same way. While we don't know how much the Boss LS will be, mid-to-high 40's is a reasonable assumption - 5 to 10K lower than the GT500, and certainly close enough to steal some sales. With ADM, which seems almost inevitable, the two will be priced on top of each other.

Not that I regret buying my '11 GT500, but if the Boss were out I would have cross-shopped them before buying. I doubt I'm the only one.

(Edit: heck, for that matter, I DID cross-shop the GT vs. the GT500 before I selected the latter. Again, I doubt I'm the only one.)

The 911 starts in the 80's - that's 25K more than the GT500.

I agree.

I think we need to remember why Shelby got out of the automaking business back in '60-'70. While emissions regulations and higher insurance rates were sighted at the time, the fact is that Ford began to see some profit to be made in marketing their own high-performance models, like the Mach 1, Boss 302 and Boss 429. Shjelby was not even offered the opportunity to use the Boss engines in the GT350 or 500.

This is also about the time that the Cleveland 351 was introduced. Can you imagien what a Boss 302/351 GT350 would have been liike? Or a Boss 429 powered GT500?

I think we are likely seeing a repeat of this same situation with the introduction of the new Boss 302. Afterr all, the chief competitor of the Boss 302 in '69 and '70 was the Z/28, not either of the Shelby models. Ford has made a big deal about how the Boss 302 is the best handling Mustang ever. I think it is unliikely they will put in a similar development effort to upgrade the suspension of the GT500, although it may benefit from use of some of the same upgraded hardware. The most likely improvement to distinguish the GT500 further, if it is still around, would be more power, but I'm not not sure the high-end hi-po Mustang market is sufficiently large to support two major Ford factory models at this level.

This doesn't mean the alliance with Shelby would necessarily end. But it may mean it goes on hiatus for a while.

But this too is pure speculation.

I agree.

I think we need to remember why Shelby got out of the automaking business back in '60-'70. While emissions regulations and higher insurance rates were sighted at the time, the fact is that Ford began to see some profit to be made in marketing their own high-performance models, like the Mach 1, Boss 302 and Boss 429. Shjelby was not even offered the opportunity to use the Boss engines in the GT350 or 500.

This is also about the time that the Cleveland 351 was introduced. Can you imagien what a Boss 302/351 GT350 would have been liike? Or a Boss 429 powered GT500?

I think we are likely seeing a repeat of this same situation with the introduction of the new Boss 302. Afterr all, the chief competitor of the Boss 302 in '69 and '70 was the Z/28, not either of the Shelby models. Ford has made a big deal about how the Boss 302 is the best handling Mustang ever. I think it is unliikely they will put in a similar development effort to upgrade the suspension of the GT500, although it may benefit from use of some of the same upgraded hardware. The most likely improvement to distinguish the GT500 further, if it is still around, would be more power, but I'm not not sure the high-end hi-po Mustang market is sufficiently large to support two major Ford factory models at this level.

This doesn't mean the alliance with Shelby would necessarily end. But it may mean it goes on hiatus for a while.

But this too is pure speculation.

Very interesting perspective on things and it makes sense. Thanks for sharing!

I can also imagine that the folks at Shelby were not pleased to hear Ford announce the Boss 302, just a few months after Shelby reintroduced the GT350. As the vehicle manufacturer, Ford will always have a price and development advantage in bringing a car with a similar level of performance to market. The Boss 302 may not have the horsepower that the supercharged version of the GT350 has, but the Boss may well have an advantage with a more refined suspension. If that's true, how much more expensive will it be for a Boss owner to strap on the same GT350 supercharger?

There are some conflicting interests at stake here and the future of the Shelby models is not clear.

Having said that, I am perfectly happy to continue upgrading my 2007 GT500. There is still a lot that can be done to it to keep it competitive with any future iteration of the Mustang, at least up through the introduction of the rumored 50th Anniversary IRS model in 2014. So I figure I have at least 4 more years of modding to go -- and since I still have my '67 GT500 (albeit, as an inert and rusty heep), the odds are good that I will hold on to the 2007 for a while as well ;-)

I certainly wouldn't let the speculation aboout what's coming next prevent me from jumping on buying a new or used Shelby now. Great cars, whatever the year.

Very interesting. A couple of questions, if you don't mind...

1) Is there a similar "program" that Ford dealers need to explicitly sign up for in order to sell the Boss 302 cars? If so, have details of that program been shared with the dealers already?

2) In the event that the GT500 reverted to "just an SVT car", wouldn't you expect that there would be a specific program around that too? And thus far this is one you haven't seen yet?

Thanks!

I just got an email from someone in the South West that deals with Shelby along with Ford, trying to figure out where to get the hood I want. He told me that the body style is changing in 2012-2013 and that is why the after market is not producing hoods, etc.......Also the only way to get a SS style hood will be to buy the complete package from Shelby. So I am not really sure what is going on with Ford and Shelby, but it seems to be a waste to only have this body style around for two years and to limit production of certain items....I guess the good news is that if you have a 2010/2011 then there will be a very limited amount of this body style out here about 10 years from now, hehe....

We already saw the 2012 Boss body so i doubt the body style is changing as the pics of it seemed to have the same body style as the current models

That is what my thoughts were as well....But I am just passing the rumor that I heard that seems to be running a little in this thread. I am really hoping that is not the case because there are little things I would love to do to change the look just enough on my car.....Digging your car....

-Chad

That is what my thoughts were as well....But I am just passing the rumor that I heard that seems to be running a little in this thread. I am really hoping that is not the case because there are little things I would love to do to change the look just enough on my car.....Digging your car....

-Chad

Chad,

Hope you didn't take my reply as a dig and I typed it in on my Droid X so is was short for a reason!!! LOL

I for one never mind the posting of rumours as the truth can sometimes be hidden in them as well. Plus they initiate a lot of good discussion.

ASO

People who see my Shelby GT500 (stripe delete) usually do a double take when they recognize it is a Shelby rather than a normal GT. The name Shelby means a lot on the street, definitely more than Cobra and probably more than Boss. So I suspect it is an option that that pays for itself on resale.

The current info has the 2012 Boss slotting nicely midway in between the GT with track pack and GT500 price and power wise. For those who must have the newest thing on the the block guys, the Boss will win. But I suspect any handling differences between the two is really going to be due to differences between the Goodyear's and Pirelli's at the end of day. The weight difference just isn't that great and the GT500 has a much better HP/lb ratio.

I think much of the 2012+ Shelby GT500's relevance hinges on what the Boss Laguna Seca is or is not. If the Boss LS is an extremely limited, essentially homologation special, purchasable in practice only by existing race teams and other friends of Ford it won't matter. If it really does hit dealer showrooms and can be bought by mere mortals and comes with 500+ HP of "special key" enabled power, the Shelby GT500's brand as the top dog Mustang might take a hit unless it is also upgraded.

And yes, there will likely be a 2012+ Shelby GT500 from Ford, assuming this interview isn't just wishful thinking.

Mustang Monthly Link

MM: Are you continuing your post-title program with cars like the Shelby SR?

Luft: Yes, and we've also got the Super Snake F150, Terlingua... you can go down the list of our post-title activity. We've done a great job of rewriting history but there's still a lot of history to write. Carroll is always about the next car he wants to build. We'll focus on post-title.

Ford has put its arms around the GT350 in such a positive way. Carroll was just up in Detroit for about a week. They are helping us with placement of the product at Ford dealers, opening doors where we need them opened. Carroll spent hours with the design team going over the '12 and '13 GT500. Jim Owens told me that the designers would sit there waiting for his every word. At 87, Carroll will look at something and cut right through it with his pearls of wisdom. He's truly one of the last living legends.

That might have been a misprint and should read '12 and '13 GT350. Just sayin'.

Nah, that would mean Carrol would have spent a week in Detroit with Ford engineers to give them feedback on the GT350 that is being developed in Las Vegas by Shelby types? Doesn't make sense. Also, the interview is relatively old. If had been blatently incorrect, I assume it would have been fixed by now.

But I suspect any handling differences between the two is really going to be due to differences between the Goodyear's and Pirelli's at the end of day. The weight difference just isn't that great and the GT500 has a much better HP/lb ratio.

I think you should do a little more research about the Boss, it ain't just a different tire package.

The Boss is going to be THE TALK of the auto world in a few months.

I think you should do a little more research about the Boss, it ain't just a different tire package.

The Boss is going to be THE TALK of the auto world in a few months.

I have been trying to keep up on it. It was the talk of the auto world last month when Ford announced and release the specs. My brother really wants one and sends me links constantly. But it has to be remembered that at the end of the day it is a modded v6 Mustang just like the GT500 is a modded v6 Mustang.

The official Ford 2012 Boss specs say 440 HP and 380 lbs of torque. (That is 10 lbs less torque than the stock 5.0) Ford upgraded the 5.0 internals (well needed and very nice!) and moved the RPM cutoff up. The front is droped 11 millimeters front and 1 mm rear with manually adjustable shocks and thicker anti-roll bar. Brembo brakes are upgraded with a different pad and low-compressibility brake lines. Recaro racing buckets are optional and will be shared with the GT500 (another strong hint the GT500 will be around next year....) It comes with some sort of weird cat back exhaust bypass that allows one to make more noise if they want.... 255/40ZR-19 Pirelli PZero, 285/35ZR-19 Pirelli PZero 19 x 9-in., 19 x 9.5-in. wide spoke painted aluminum wheels. Weight comes in at 3631.

Official Boss Specs

The 2011 GT500 with SVTPP has 550 HP and 510 lbs of torque. It is lowered .4 inch and .3 inch front and rear, basically the same as the Boss after factoring in wheel size differences. It has shocks specially valved for performance. Anyones guess right now where they map to the Boss's adjustment settings. All GT500s have Brembo brakes. I'm sure if the Boss pads really are that great, any GT500 owner that cares will be running them after their next service..... Goodyear’s Eagle F1 Supercar G:2 tires at P265/40 front and P285/35 back tires mount on 19-inch front and 20-inch rear forged aluminum wheels. Weight comes in at 3751. (Car and Driver measured weight, Ford quotes 3820 for an non-SVTPP, but it isn't clear what that includes as far as options (glass roof, shaker 1000, stock, ?.)

They appear nearly identical to me except the tire brand, shocks and the engines. The engine with blower is most of the additional GT500 weight. The GT500 also comes with about 11 lbs or so of additional sound deading material that get excised from the Boss, so relatively speaking it will have a slightly worse f/r weight distribution. Aerodynamic changes appear to be wash as the 2011 already gets a the underbody airflow stuff and better rear spoiler. Both sets of tires are summer compound very/ultra high performance street tires.

So, looking at the numbers, one expects the Boss to be better balanced handling, but the GT500 to a big edge in acceleration except when it is traction limited off the line. But there is nothing, other than a lack of HP and torque to suggest the Boss won't face the same traction issues.

The wild card in all this is the Boss Laguna Seca version. It actually weighs the same as the base Boss but has much better aerodyanmics with the very agressive front splitter, comes with r-compound tires, and drops the rear seat for a rear body cross brace/stiffener. If you believe the internet rumors, it also has a special key that allows one to disable the rev limiter and gain another 50-100 HP. It isn't at all clear how available the Boss Laguna Seca versions will be. Some of the rumors have it that they have all been effectively pre-sold at this point. Other rumors have it that activating the key feature effectively voids the engine warranty as it really is a race only feature that the teams that are getting Laguna Seca versions will use. I'm sure Ford will eventually make this all clear.....

I think the Boss versions of the car will be outstanding, especially for road course work. If the prices come in where the media have been guessing they will be incredible deals. The Laguna Seca version of the Boss could be legendary, if the extra HP rumors hold and it can be bought by mortals, or a yawn, if like the Raptor XT or Ford Racing Boss 302R, it turns out not to be a real production vehicle. I'm personally hoping for legendary and if so, would fully expect the SVT/Shelby/Roush/Saleen, whatever team to try to top it at some point. Competition is great.

Personally I would like to see SVT come back with the Cobra and drop the GT500. That's just me.

I believe it's only a matter of time before it happens.

Glad you said it. That's exactly what the rumormill around MI is starting to agree upon..

Chad,

Hope you didn't take my reply as a dig and I typed it in on my Droid X so is was short for a reason!!! LOL

I for one never mind the posting of rumours as the truth can sometimes be hidden in them as well. Plus they initiate a lot of good discussion.

ASO

No worries...I didn't take it as a dig...I am just passing small rumors...You know with every rumor there is always a little bit of truth....I am thinking if they do change something it will probably be small but enough to make a difference in the aftermarket world, which is why there is a lot of hold back from those companies....Just trying to order small things here and there you have to either order 07-09 or 10-11....So who knows what is going on except those in the positions to over see and they aren't saying anything, hehe....As long as we keep spending they will keep building and changing things just enough that we will trade in and buy newer....It all comes down to $'s...What do they have to do to get our $ and keep up coming back for more!!!!

I have been trying to keep up on it. It was the talk of the auto world last month when Ford announced and release the specs. My brother really wants one and sends me links constantly. But it has to be remembered that at the end of the day it is a modded v6 Mustang just like the GT500 is a modded v6 Mustang.

The official Ford 2012 Boss specs say 440 HP and 380 lbs of torque. (That is 10 lbs less torque than the stock 5.0) Ford upgraded the 5.0 internals (well needed and very nice!) and moved the RPM cutoff up. The front is droped 11 millimeters front and 1 mm rear with manually adjustable shocks and thicker anti-roll bar. Brembo brakes are upgraded with a different pad and low-compressibility brake lines. Recaro racing buckets are optional and will be shared with the GT500 (another strong hint the GT500 will be around next year....) It comes with some sort of weird cat back exhaust bypass that allows one to make more noise if they want.... 255/40ZR-19 Pirelli PZero, 285/35ZR-19 Pirelli PZero 19 x 9-in., 19 x 9.5-in. wide spoke painted aluminum wheels. Weight comes in at 3631.

Official Boss Specs

The 2011 GT500 with SVTPP has 550 HP and 510 lbs of torque. It is lowered .4 inch and .3 inch front and rear, basically the same as the Boss after factoring in wheel size differences. It has shocks specially valved for performance. Anyones guess right now where they map to the Boss's adjustment settings. All GT500s have Brembo brakes. I'm sure if the Boss pads really are that great, any GT500 owner that cares will be running them after their next service..... Goodyear’s Eagle F1 Supercar G:2 tires at P265/40 front and P285/35 back tires mount on 19-inch front and 20-inch rear forged aluminum wheels. Weight comes in at 3751. (Car and Driver measured weight, Ford quotes 3820 for an non-SVTPP, but it isn't clear what that includes as far as options (glass roof, shaker 1000, stock, ?.)

They appear nearly identical to me except the tire brand, shocks and the engines. The engine with blower is most of the additional GT500 weight. The GT500 also comes with about 11 lbs or so of additional sound deading material that get excised from the Boss, so relatively speaking it will have a slightly worse f/r weight distribution. Aerodynamic changes appear to be wash as the 2011 already gets a the underbody airflow stuff and better rear spoiler. Both sets of tires are summer compound very/ultra high performance street tires.

So, looking at the numbers, one expects the Boss to be better balanced handling, but the GT500 to a big edge in acceleration except when it is traction limited off the line. But there is nothing, other than a lack of HP and torque to suggest the Boss won't face the same traction issues.

The wild card in all this is the Boss Laguna Seca version. It actually weighs the same as the base Boss but has much better aerodyanmics with the very agressive front splitter, comes with r-compound tires, and drops the rear seat for a rear body cross brace/stiffener. If you believe the internet rumors, it also has a special key that allows one to disable the rev limiter and gain another 50-100 HP. It isn't at all clear how available the Boss Laguna Seca versions will be. Some of the rumors have it that they have all been effectively pre-sold at this point. Other rumors have it that activating the key feature effectively voids the engine warranty as it really is a race only feature that the teams that are getting Laguna Seca versions will use. I'm sure Ford will eventually make this all clear.....

I think the Boss versions of the car will be outstanding, especially for road course work. If the prices come in where the media have been guessing they will be incredible deals. The Laguna Seca version of the Boss could be legendary, if the extra HP rumors hold and it can be bought by mortals, or a yawn, if like the Raptor XT or Ford Racing Boss 302R, it turns out not to be a real production vehicle. I'm personally hoping for legendary and if so, would fully expect the SVT/Shelby/Roush/Saleen, whatever team to try to top it at some point. Competition is great.

Well and good, but the Boss is going to put down its power much more effectively given the power/tire equation just presented. Sure, the GT500 will trump it from a roll, but you better know how to launch one if you are next to a Boss at the light.

Further, the Boss has 53/47 weight distribution, shifting VERY CLOSE to 50/50 on a corner exit under acceleration. The GT500 has 56/44%. Not nearly as optimal. Also hindering the GT500 from a launch as less weight percentage is over the rear-axle.

The 2012 GT500 is going to need work, or a track with long straights, if it is to trump the new Boss around the twisties.

Well and good, but the Boss is going to put down its power much more effectively given the power/tire equation just presented. Sure, the GT500 will trump it from a roll, but you better know how to launch one if you are next to a Boss at the light.

Further, the Boss has 53/47 weight distribution, shifting VERY CLOSE to 50/50 on a corner exit under acceleration. The GT500 has 56/44%. Not nearly as optimal. Also hindering the GT500 from a launch as less weight percentage is over the rear-axle.

The 2012 GT500 is going to need work, or a track with long straights, if it is to trump the new Boss around the twisties.

Another BIG factor is the Boss engine. The redline is set to 7500 (with some suggesting a not yet revealed "secret" will see the rpm's well above 8000). In the motortrend comparison of the GT and the M3 the driver noted that the M3's higher rpm's really gave it the edge on the track. With the Boss being able to run at those high rpm's it will make a huge difference on the track. This isn't a matter of just bumping up the rev limiter. The engine needed to be built to be able to handle those high rpm's and STILL be a reliable engine that you can get 150,000 miles on.

“In keeping with the spirit of the original, the new Boss 302 engine achieves its maximum power output at speeds at or above 7,500 rpm,” says Harrison. “Unlike the original engine, however, low-speed torque and driveability are uncompromised thanks to twin independent variable camshaft timing (Ti-VCT) technology and computer-aided engineering design tools.”

Harrison and his team began exploring Boss 302 concepts starting with the engine’s ability to breathe – essential to the production of horsepower. Because credible track performance requires high power production between 5,000 rpm and 7,000 rpm, the team needed a new approach to intake manifold design.

Borrowing from the Ford Daytona Prototype engines, the resulting short-runners-in-the-box design virtually eliminates lag when the throttle is snapped open while producing peak power output at high rpm.

“The effect of the new intake design is dramatic,” says Harrison. “When I took the prototype car to Mustang Chief Engineer Dave Pericak, he took a short drive, tossed me the keys and said ‘Book it…it’s in the program.’ He knew what we were onto, and that’s really the point where the Boss 302 was born.”

To take advantage of the racing intake manifold, cylinder head airflow was fully optimized by CNC porting the entire intake and exhaust port and combustion chamber. The painstaking machining process takes 2.5 hours per head to complete.

To accompany the higher peak-power engine speed, the team had to engineer a lightweight, high-speed valvetrain and bulletproof reciprocating assembly that would not only hold together for 150,000-plus miles but also produce power at peak rpm.

“What most people don’t realize is that engine stresses increase exponentially as engine speeds rise,” explains Harrison. “So moving up from GT’s 7,000 rpm redline required significant re-engineering of many different parts. Sacrificing reliability and usability over the GT engine was never an option.”

So, lots of interesting Boss 302 info, but are we any closer to knowing if there will be a 2012 GT500?

I was at a car show tonight and caught a guy looking at the sigs. on my valve cover. So I asked if he built it. He is actually an engineer at the plant that puts the 5.4 together. He said the 5.4 is DONE in May. He also said they have several supercharged 5.0 mules running around. Nice guy. I actually had several guys from Ford talk to me tonight, all great guys.

I was at a car show tonight and caught a guy looking at the sigs. on my valve cover. So I asked if he built it. He is actually an engineer at the plant that puts the 5.4 together. He said the 5.4 is DONE in May. He also said they have several supercharged 5.0 mules running around. Nice guy. I actually had several guys from Ford talk to me tonight, all great guys.

Interesting.

Not exciting, but interesting.

Now I'm bored.hysterical.gif

So, if the 5.4L is done in May, then obviously the 2012 GT500 isn't just business as usual. It will either morph into an SVT product with a different engine, continue as a Shelby with a different engine, or vanish completely (perhaps to be succeeded by the Boss 302?). Oh, the possibilities?!?! I wonder what the Mayan Calendar predicts for the 2012 model?

Archived