TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Bad driver or BMW 135i smokes Shelby?

tpenziner

I don't put much stock in videos like this. Who knows what the 135i was running? And of course we have driver ability as a wild card. If you're interested in performance times I would say the magazine tests are probably the most reliable due to the fact that the cars are stock and they have pro drivers. Once guys start modding their cars anything could beat a car that is still stock.

The 135i is a stock twin-turbo inline-6 car, not to mention it is fairly small. To me it looks like a combination of both bad Shelby driver and a lightly modified 135i. I ran a stock 135i before in my supercharged 2005 Civic Si only making 220 whp and stayed even with him all the way. A decent driver in that Shelby would have pummeled that BMW.

clearly the Shelby driver wasnt very good--he lost a length in the box,id say RT of a second easy--then the shelby guy hit his brakes first--but you never know what mods a car might have--i had a mini-cooper pull up next to me on a highway when I is was doing 60 on a clear road.He was annoying me, so i went into 3rd and we both hit it--i didnt lose him till i hit 110 in 4th--who knows what the hell he was running.But i cant see a stock 135 beating a stock Shelby ever

clearly the Shelby driver wasnt very good--he lost a length in the box,id say RT of a second easy--then the shelby guy hit his brakes first--but you never know what mods a car might have--i had a mini-cooper pull up next to me on a highway when I is was doing 60 on a clear road.He was annoying me, so i went into 3rd and we both hit it--i didnt lose him till i hit 110 in 4th--who knows what the hell he was running.But i cant see a stock 135 beating a stock Shelby ever

I used to own a 335i with the same twin turbo inline 6. A quick 45 min download of Dinan software boosted the origina hp/tq rating of 300/300 to 385/425. My 335 was fast and a 135i is even lighter. Not sure how much lighter it is than our Shelby's but its probably 100-200 lbs lighter. Given our cars issue with hooking up off the line and with a good driver behind the wheel of the135i, I could see how an ugly little shit 135 could pull this off.

Weight of the 135i is 3400 lbs and the BMW site lists the 0-60 as 5.0 seconds. Given that BMW is usually conservative by 0.2 or 0.3 seconds, and noting as GT500bro stated that a straightforward tune can increase the hp/tq substantially, I can see where a lightly modded 135i might even beat a pretty good driver in a stock GT500.

In drag racing if you dont 60 foot well, especially in the 1/8 mile, you arent going to do well.

I should dig up the SRT4 neon beating a highly modded 03 Cobra video, that one pissed off a lot of Cobra guys for a couple years :D

SRT=high 11 second car at around 120 with about $5500 in mods on a tire if you can drive it. Lots of those around here. WIth just a canned stage III kit you are looking at $3500 in mods (with "toys") and mid 12's@116 or so. They are no joke, even if they are a neon.

I've been seeing and hearing A LOT about these 135s. When they first came out, I didn't know they were TT and decided to give in to one that was razzing me from light to light. I was in my 05 GT (bolts ons, NA) and he made be look like I was riding a trike. I CAN drive, but so could he and that lil thing blew my doors off.

Per Car & Driver, re: a stock 135i....

Fortunately, there is no reduction in engine size or output. The 135i gets the same 300-horsepower, twin-turbocharged inline-six cylinder engine as the 335i. We clocked a 0-to-60 time of 4.9 seconds for the heavier 335i; the 135i did it in a blistering 4.7, with a 13.3-second quarter-mile at 106 mph.

But...they are ugly.

Ok--lets do the math--100lbs is a tenth in a 1/4, so the 135i has a 0.6 sec weight advantage.10hp is a tenth in a 1/4/The shelby has a a 240hp advanatge,which is 2.4 secs,so net 1.8sec advantage Shelby.A car length is also a tenth,so the shelby lost a tenth there--the trest is either a highly modified 135i or poor driving

Just a personal observation.......why do guys buy these Shelbys and other hi-po cars and not know how to drag race at the 'strip? Why put themsleves thru that kind of embarrassment? Learn how to drag race properly, first (with another car), then buy the GT500, Z06, or whatever. It never ceases to amaze me.............

Just a personal observation.......why do guys buy these Shelbys and other hi-po cars and not know how to drag race at the 'strip? Why put themsleves thru that kind of embarrassment? Learn how to drag race properly, first (with another car), then buy the GT500, Z06, or whatever. It never ceases to amaze me.............

Well maybe they don't treat it as seriously as some? Maybe they don't have ego problems? Perhaps they just want to go out there and LEGALLY be able to race their car and see what it and THEY can do? Maybe it was the guy's first time? Perhaps he'll get better as he learns?

I have an 08 GT500 and I've never taken it to a drag strip. But if I did I'm sure as hell not going to buy a different car to practice with. I'm just going to take it and see how it goes.

SRT=high 11 second car at around 120 with about $5500 in mods on a tire if you can drive it. Lots of those around here. WIth just a canned stage III kit you are looking at $3500 in mods (with "toys") and mid 12's@116 or so. They are no joke, even if they are a neon.

I Know, but the 03 Cobra had a KB blower, drag radials etc. It was simply a case of a NDF in the Cobra, the Neon ran 13s..

Per Car & Driver, re: a stock 135i....

Fortunately, there is no reduction in engine size or output. The 135i gets the same 300-horsepower, twin-turbocharged inline-six cylinder engine as the 335i. We clocked a 0-to-60 time of 4.9 seconds for the heavier 335i; the 135i did it in a blistering 4.7, with a 13.3-second quarter-mile at 106 mph.

But...they are ugly.

The new 2010 370Z beats the 135i. The Z ran a 4.6 0-60 and out braked a twin turbo Porsche with the carbon ceramic brake pads, 60 to 0 in 101 ft. and even pulled 99g on the skid pad. The performance of some of these cars is amazing and they aren't even modded yet. They took the rev limiter off the Z and it ran 172 mph top speed stock.

The new 2010 370Z beats the 135i. The Z ran a 4.6 0-60 and out braked a twin turbo Porsche with the carbon ceramic brake pads, 60 to 0 in 101 ft. and even pulled 99g on the skid pad. The performance of some of these cars is amazing and they aren't even modded yet. They took the rev limiter off the Z and it ran 172 mph top speed stock.

The "amazing" adjective might fit when they slap a couple of turbos on the Nissan. I'd have to consider one then.

Well maybe they don't treat it as seriously as some? Maybe they don't have ego problems? Perhaps they just want to go out there and LEGALLY be able to race their car and see what it and THEY can do? Maybe it was the guy's first time? Perhaps he'll get better as he learns?

I have an 08 GT500 and I've never taken it to a drag strip. But if I did I'm sure as hell not going to buy a different car to practice with. I'm just going to take it and see how it goes.

LOL...ego problem? Where did that come from? In my view, the purpose of drag racing your vehicle is to get the full potential out of it in terms of low ET & highest trap speed. Why leave anything 'on the table'? You can 'play seriously'.

Some people just buy the car because they enjoy the power/looks for DD or weekend fun. I love sports cars and impromptu tests of their (and my) ability, but rarely feel the need or desire to spend $20 to hammer my car down a 1/4 mile strip of pavement.

Some people just buy the car because they enjoy the power/looks for DD or weekend fun. I love sports cars and impromptu tests of their (and my) ability, but rarely feel the need or desire to spend $20 to hammer my car down a 1/4 mile strip of pavement.

$20?! That would be nice... it's $35 here!

My last car before my Shelby was an '09 Nissan 370Z (please don't ask why :D) . Performance wise, that car was very close to the 135i BMW. Zero to 60, quarter mile....etc. Matter of fact, there are several video tests on Youtube that show the 370Z outperforming the 135i. I can tell you first hand that there is a night and day difference between the 370Z and '11 GT500. It's not even close.

My last car before my Shelby was an '09 Nissan 370Z (please don't ask why :D) . Performance wise, that car was very close to the 135i BMW. Zero to 60, quarter mile....etc. Matter of fact, there are several video tests on Youtube that show the 370Z outperforming the 135i. I can tell you first hand that there is a night and day difference between the 370Z and '11 GT500. It's not even close.

Now those are the testimonials I look for... "I owned one of each and X is better."

Love it.

Archived