TEAM SHELBY FORUM

MGW GT500 Shifter

mciarochi

I had the MGW shifter installed a couple of weeks ago. I wanted to drive it for a while, and get a couple of pictures. There are great pictures from SVT Performance posted here, so I'm not going to repeat that. I picked a white/blue stripe shifter knob (gee, I wonder why?). It really looks great, especially looking in the window. Notice the boot retainer - really very nice.

So - on to the shifter itself.

This is one of those mods that you really don't know why you want it until after you do it. Take the suspension. The stock GT500 suspension doesn't exactly suck - it's way better than a "normal" Mustang. Then you throw on the springs, control arms, Watts link, dampers, and you can't figure out how you lived with the stock setup.

Same thing here - I thought the GT500 shifted pretty well. Little did I know. This thing is absolutely rock solid. There is no doubt where your gears are. If you manage to miss 3rd or 4th it's because you tried to shift with the emergency brake or something. You can't miss those gears.

After getting used to the feel of the thing, I found an empty road and did a zero to somewhere-in-third-gear just to see how it behaved in really hard shifting. It was perfect.

As for the hardware, it is really, really impressive. George over at MGW installed this for me (a free service, by the way, if you care to stop by Augusta). He did a great job and explained all the neat little details. Aside from excellent construction, one of the things that sets this shifter apart is that he replaces the shifter plate and rubber boot. The other shifters I've seen, including the Shelby, use the stock stamped steel plate. There is a very big difference when you see them together. I can't really tell you why, but George said he just wasn't happy with how it behaved using the stock plate. It bumps the price up more than he wanted, but also bumps up the quality and performance. If you look at the pics on SVTP (here) you can see where that very beefy pivot fits into that plate. If you look at the stock plate, it's just flat steel with a hole in it. That would not work.

Another difference in this shifter is one I am going to take advantage of; the adjustable throw. This is done from underneath the vehicle - you take out the cross bolt and unscrew the shaft to shorten the throw, and then put the cross bolt in. I picked the machined leather boot retainer which added a bit of length (maybe 1/2") over the standard retainer. Looks nice though.

The only "negative" is some increased tranny noise in lower gears, especially under power. It's completely gone in fourth or higher gears. That's because of the tighter bushings. By the way, if you look at the mushy stock rear bushing, it's kind of a miracle that you can even find a gear. I expect that to be true of any aftermarket shifter for exactly the same reasons. Looking at the additional damping material MGW includes on these things, I expect this will actually be quieter than most.

Overall, this is a very impressive piece of hardware, looks great, feels great, and if there is any hard shifting in your future, definitely something you want to put in your car. Price was $350, plus the knob ($45-up, depending on your choice).

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

looks good man... i think i am going to make the switch from steeda... i originally wanted a MGW but two yrs ago i was told that they are a few months away.... kinda glad i didnt wait b/c i couldnt stand the stock shifter but now i think its time to switch to the best out there

I installed mine yesterday on my back in the garage. The only part to the whole install that was difficult was those front pins. What a pain in the a$$ those were, thanks Ford engineers. I set mine to 5 and it performs great and feels solid. My car is white w/ blue stripes, but I chose to go with the black ball with dark grey stripes to match the interior and because I wanted the cobras on the side also.

Here is a link to the pics of it installed. http://s880.photobucket.com/albums/ac4/raycutchins/MGW%20GT500%20Shifter/

Finished my install yesterday. Everything the OP stated in spot on. Only got to test it out for about 45 minutes, but what a difference. I did the install with ramps and my biggest issue was coming to the conclusion that my driveshaft loop had to be completely removed. Being stubborn I just loosened it and fought it for about 45 minutes until removing it altogether.

I did lower the the tranny a few inches along with removing the speed sensor and reverse lock out, which made getting to the clips much easier.

The videos over at SVT show everything you need to do.

Overall, this is a very impressive piece of hardware, looks great, feels great, and if there is any hard shifting in your future, definitely something you want to put in your car. Price was $350, plus the knob ($45-up, depending on your choice).

A little help here, guys...

Okay, I've asked before and all I keep getting is "get on their waiting list".....

WHERE!? WHAT "waiting list"? With WHOM? Anyone got a contact?

I've seen (high detail) photo's of this item in magazines and on-line, from various angles. I have to say that it is one IMPRESSIVE piece of machinery. I'll repeat myself and remind you that my major in college was Mfg. Process (machine shop) so I *know* a well built piece when I see one (if I had the damn equipment, I could BUILD one fer chripes sake!).

I have looked at:

The Pro 5.0. It is a *very* nice piece AND they avoid any fitment issues by giving you TWO shifter handles with two different thread pitches/TP to accomate early and late shifter ball threads (no other shifter does that).

The Shelby 6/spd shifter. It includes two support arms and from what they say is the *only* shifter with shifter stops (although photo's of others show stops). This would be my 2nd choice of the four, right behind the MGW (and the Pro 5.0 would be next).

The Steeda Tri-Ax (ehhhhh?)

And the MGW.

IN MY OPINION the MGW shifter makes most of them look like amature garage built items (okay, seriously, not THAT bad but you get the point!).

Again, IN MY OPINION the MGW wins hands down. It has the two support arms like a OEM *and* a Shelby has. They are the only ones that do, the rest give you a single arm! That's all fine and well unitil you BANG a few good solid shifts and you're sitting in your car with your shifter linkage in your hand.

Back to my primary point: I tried to contact MGW via their post/thread on SVTperformance.com.....it's a locked thread and you can not reply.

I've gone to their website multiple times over a long period of time and for the 2010 version it's been telling me for MONTHS...."Coming Soon". No contact number to "get on their waiting list", nothing.

Can ya tell I'm gettin' a little frustrated?

WHERE on EARTH can I get one of these (and apparantly, the shifter ball too)???

I want one. Not just the contact for one, but I want ONE. I have the money for one. I'm willing to pay the money for one. I have the desire for one. I just don't have the information necessary to BUY one!

Pointers? Phone numbers? Contact name/s?

Thanks in advance,

Phill

The videos over at SVT show everything you need to do.

I didn't see a video. I saw a step-by-step photo essay but no video.

Can you point me to the URL please???

TIA,

Phill

I installed mine yesterday on my back in the garage. The only part to the whole install that was difficult was those front pins. What a pain in the a$$ those were, thanks Ford engineers. I set mine to 5 and it performs great and feels solid. My car is white w/ blue stripes, but I chose to go with the black ball with dark grey stripes to match the interior and because I wanted the cobras on the side also.

Does MGW supply/sell the shifter balls too?

I've never looked at the '09E section of their site, just the 2010 area and there's NOTHING there.

I like both shifter balls pictured. That white with Blue stripes would actually go reall well with my car (Blue with white stripes) as a mirror image theme.

But I like that Cobra on the side of the dark ball too!

Can ya point this dummy to the shifter ball offereings?

Decisions decisions decisions,

Phill - Thank you

Does MGW supply/sell the shifter balls too?

I've never looked at the '09E section of their site, just the 2010 area and there's NOTHING there.

I like both shifter balls pictured. That white with Blue stripes would actually go reall well with my car (Blue with white stripes) as a mirror image theme.

But I like that Cobra on the side of the dark ball too!

Can ya point this dummy to the shifter ball offereings?

Decisions decisions decisions,

Phill - Thank you

Go to this web site www.mgwltd.com the shifter was not listed last time I checked, but you will find MGW's phone numbers so you can call them. I had one of their shifters on my 01 Cobra and their stuff rocks!

Mike

Go to this web site www.mgwltd.com the shifter was not listed last time I checked, but you will find MGW's phone numbers so you can call them. I had one of their shifters on my 01 Cobra and their stuff rocks!

Mike

Yep, figures....

That's the website I've been going to and *now* it shows the shfiter! DOH!

Well at least now I know where I can get one at. LOL

Thanks guys,

Phill

Mike

I sent an email, George replied and said to call. Their number is 706.793.1770.

When it was ready (right about when she said it would be), they gave me a call back and I scheduled the installation.

On the shifter knobs - they are not all on the web site. The one pictured on SVTP with the Cobra on the side is only available in black. You can't get the Cobra logo in the other colors. That was a tough call, but I'm glad I wend with the white/blue.

There are a couple of options - stock threads are available, but not required. It depends on the knob you choose. That's just a part swap. Also, the machined boot retainer (in my pictures) versus the standard shaft + grommet shown on the SVTP site. All in all, you may want to talk it over with George or somebody at MGW.

BTW, I forgot to mention their facility. It's like a candy factory; CNC machines, lathes, milling machines, cutoffs, just tons of very cool stuff. MGW is "Maryland Gun Works", and they still manufacture pieces and parts for firearms. I happened to notice a very familiar gunsight (actually a bunch of them) on one of the tables, only it was stock steel and didn't have the little tritium dots filled in yet...

On the shifter knobs - they are not all on the web site. The one pictured on SVTP with the Cobra on the side is only available in black. You can't get the Cobra logo in the other colors. That was a tough call, but I'm glad I wend with the white/blue.

Actually, after thinking it over, the white knob with double blue stripes would be *perfect* for my car.

Right now I have the OEM 2010 shifter knob on the car. It is white with double BLACK stripes on it....on a BLUE car.

I figure the white/blue 6-spd knob is even more fitting for my car since the blue stripes would just replace the black stripes. Blue stripes on a blue car....WHAT A CONCEPT!

AND, it's basically a "mirror image" of my car (Blue w/White vs White w/Blue), looks identical to the OE knob other than the color *match* to the car. Personally, and again after thinking about it for a little while, I think they should'a done it that way from the factory!

So with all of *that* out of the way....where did you get the White w/Blue double stripe 6-spd "Que Ball" shifter knob?

The ones I see on the MGW site are nice (I like the black one with the Cobra logo on top) but if I continue at the trend I"m headed, my car will be a total sleeper. VERY little from the outside will denote what's hidden under the skin...

A Wolf in Sheeps clothing....or in this case, a Monstor in Snake Skin!

I have a idea for the wheels too. Keep the OEM 19" rims, widen them to max ability, put as much tire under it as possible, put 285's on the FRONT (hey, they "understeer" so they SHOULD have more tire up front!) and maybe....I say MAYBE, just chrome the OEM wheels instead of the gunmetal/gray look.

Then buy a set of 15" X <max"> Welds (for the rear) with a set of good M&H's, or some other non-DOT (preferably, wrinkle wall) tires for track day. I have to check out the local rules for "big tire" vs "little tire" classes.

Does anyone here know if Pueblo or Bandimere/Denver has a big/little tire break?

Bone Doc? Albuquerque Mark (is that who's in Al-be-Q?).

Just thinkin' out loud for now,

Phill Pollard - Co. Springs, CO

Umm...err...uhh....ahh....

I really appreaciate you posting that link and all, but.....

I'm sorry, I didn't get past the first post that shows a big breasted babe sneezing...over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and.....

I'll see if I can get past that post and find the video later on, after I recover from the massive blood loss to my brain.

In the meantime, I did find two installation videos on the MGW site that show the 5-spd shifter installation and they were a big help. I did not realize you could adjust the *lower* part of the shift lever by simply turning the threads on the shift shaft and adjust the *throw* (not just the height of the shifter ball).

That's a GREAT idea. Now I *know* I have to buy that MGW, and soon. It seems like those guys are way ahead of the curve (as per shifter technology). From my perspective, they've taken all of the best ideas from all of the available shifters and incorporated them into one unit. Again, "what a concept"!

As for the people who have asked how much difference there is in a AM short-throw vs the OEM "short-throw" shifter; I was able to sit in a Roush 427R, and sit in my Shelby GT500 while they were side-by-side during the decision process when I was deciding between the two. One BIG difference I noticed was that the Roush shifter was SOOO much "crisper" (positive) feeling than the Ford GT500 shifter. Oh, and the Roush had his short-throw shifter option added to it, it wasn't what came standard in a 427R. They also put the Roush "retro" white "que ball" knob and chrome stick on the car.

So for the people asking how much different they are (short-throw vs. OEM GT500).....it's night and day. The difference is huge (IMO).

The Roush felt more like a real *race* car (and yes, I've sat in my share) where the Shelby/Ford shifter just felt like a shorter(shortER, not short") throw OEM shifter. I was "soft, cushy, squishy", etc.. Not *bad*, just not "crisp" or "positive" (that's the best description I can give, "positive").

With as much respect as I have for Roush products, I'd venture to guess that its got to be pretty darn close (in function and in feel) to one of the 4 aftermarket shifters previously noted in this article (Steeda Tri-Ax, Pro 5.0, Shelby 6-spd & MGW 6-spd).

Oh, and I also see where you can buy a extra MGW shifter shaft with the course threads for 35 bucks more, in case you have the future need to use the 2nd optional thread pitch offered by Ford (in the 2010 Shelby GT500).

I think for 35 bucks, I'll buy a second/optional shifter shaft just for the hell of it, so I will have it on hand if I ever need it in the future.

Hell, I've spent more than 35 bucks on BEER on a Friday night...and that was just MY part of the tab! :hysterical3:

And yes, as a matter of fact, I think I will have another!

Phill Pollard

So with all of *that* out of the way....where did you get the White w/Blue double stripe 6-spd "Que Ball" shifter knob?

I got the knob at MGW. That's why I suggested you call - not all of the knobs are on the website. I picked a different one entirely, and George suggested that one. I liked it.

What's nice about it is that it breaks up the interior a bit, and it also draws your eye if you look in the windows. It's just very nice.

• 1 month later...

I got the knob at MGW. That's why I suggested you call - not all of the knobs are on the website. I picked a different one entirely, and George suggested that one. I liked it.

What's nice about it is that it breaks up the interior a bit, and it also draws your eye if you look in the windows. It's just very nice.

I called and ordered my MGW shifter along with a bunch of other goodies.

I got the shifter with the standard handle so I could use my OEM shift ball if desired plus I ordered the optional handle and a white w/blue stripe shift knob.

I also ordered the Raditor and Intercooler tank caps, door lock knobs, seat adjuster covers, coat hangers, etc. etc. etc.

The radiator/IC tank caps are TOP NOTCH items. They are high chrome finish and INCLUDE THE CAPS, not just covers. They clean up the engine bay SO much it's insane. I replaced my Shelby branded caps with them plus got the Ford Racing Coil Over Plug (COP) covers and a Ford Racing oil cap to match. Right now I have the Shelby master cylinder cap, power steering reserviour cap and windshield washer cap that are all the same size so they're a pretty good match for each other (the Rad/IC caps are much larger and the oil cap is "bow shaped" so they don't match). I also put the Shelby/Drake underhood bolt dress up kit on all of the visible fasteners and they match the mc/ps/ws washer tank covers. It's a bit of a mixed bag of underhood caps and covers but IMO, it looks GREAT as there is no longer "too much" of one thing (Shelby logos ALL OVER THE PLACE!).

If anyone is thinking about any MGW chrome items, I have to say that make the other caps look like a amature made them. They are extreamly high quality, a 'lower profile' and with the Roush IC tank a perfect match of "twins" right up front where you see them first.

I started to install the shifter but with my battery out of the car and my front seats moved all the way forward to gain access to remove the back seat to install the FRPP dual fuel pump, it's likely going to have to wait a bit.

ALL of the items I got from MGW are top notch. I can not believe the difference in quality compared to some other Mfgr's I've seen selling Shelby/GT500/Mustang accessories. IF there is anyone "on the fence" about buying MGW parts, I'll vouch for them in a heartbeat.

Just amazing,

Phill Pollard

Here is a link to the pics of it installed. http://s880.photobucket.com/albums/ac4/raycutchins/MGW%20GT500%20Shifter/

Now all you need to do is adjust the throw on your E-brake. You're gonna tear a rotator cuff pulling it up that high.

My car is white w/ blue stripes, but I chose to go with the black ball with dark grey stripes to match the interior and because I wanted the cobras on the side also.

What's that gadget mounted at 6 o'clock on your steering wheel?

Phill

Archived