TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What to use for a spare?

hotrodrock

My car is a daily driver and I hold my breath every time I drive it, dreading having a flat at any speed over 5 mph. Its time to carry a spare. I have aftermarket 20 inch wheels so the wheel makes no difference but an 18 inch 2010 gt500 style wheel can be had at a good price. As far as I can tell the only non directional tires available in 18 inch are very tall SUV or truck tires. I have done quite a few searches on the net but can't find any info about running a directional tire in the wrong direction if I happen to have a flat on the side of the car that will not match up to the direction the spare is supposed to roll. Its 50/50 that the spare will roll in the right direction but my luck probably will not be that good. Of course it would only be used for a short period. Anyone got some feedback on this.

I did find that the Nitto Invo's are non directional but thats a pricey tire to use for a spare.

My car is a daily driver and I hold my breath every time I drive it, dreading having a flat at any speed over 5 mph. Its time to carry a spare. I have aftermarket 20 inch wheels so the wheel makes no difference but an 18 inch 2010 gt500 style wheel can be had at a good price. As far as I can tell the only non directional tires available in 18 inch are very tall SUV or truck tires. I have done quite a few searches on the net but can't find any info about running a directional tire in the wrong direction if I happen to have a flat on the side of the car that will not match up to the direction the spare is supposed to roll. Its 50/50 that the spare will roll in the right direction but my luck probably will not be that good. Of course it would only be used for a short period. Anyone got some feedback on this.

I did find that the Nitto Invo's are non directional but thats a pricey tire to use for a spare.

Stock tires are non-directional. Watch the classified ads. Someone has a set for sale now. Maybe they would break it up? That would be cheaper than buying a new wheel and a new tire.

Stock tires are non-directional. Watch the classified ads. Someone has a set for sale now. Maybe they would break it up? That would be cheaper than buying a new wheel and a new tire.

+1

I use a factory front wheel and tire as my spare. It's close, but does fit in the wheel-well, and you can use the front's on the back without problem.

Check the classifieds here too. A lot of people that upgrade the wheels could have the old ones. I would hope you could get a pretty good deal

+1

I use a factory front wheel and tire as my spare. It's close, but does fit in the wheel-well, and you can use the front's on the back without problem.

Check the classifieds here too. A lot of people that upgrade the wheels could have the old ones. I would hope you could get a pretty good deal

What I plan to do shortly... did you just remove the carpeted floor board? How high up does the wheel set? Thanks

What I plan to do shortly... did you just remove the carpeted floor board? How high up does the wheel set? Thanks

It lifts of the carpet about 1.5" or so. I actually like the little dip I have in the carpet on both sides now. I put a little basin on one side with extra car wash, oil and coolant in it and it does not slide around.

I posted a thread about it, with pics, here

Pics of the spare in the wheel well are post #7

Archived