TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Launch Control?

JWG223

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparisons/06q3/2006_chevrolet_corvette_vs._2007_ford_mustang_shelby_gt500-comparison_tests/2007_ford_mustang_shelby_gt500_page_2

Seems that the GT500 in 2007 at least, had launch control. Do they still? Why don't you read about it in the product literature from Ford? Does it really work so well that most pro's can only shave .1 off of it or so?

The above article describes it.

Erm.. 2010 model-

"...Let the revs run past 6,000 before you shift and the car will still be pulling in fourth gear as you pass the finish. The GT500 also comes with an always-on launch control that works optimally at about 3,500 rpm in the Advance TracSport Mode, 2,500 rpm when everything's turned off. It works well, but even going without the assistance you can still put in some rewarding times if you keep your head about you at the start...."

???

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/04/07/first-drive-ford-shelby-gt500-day-2-where-do-we-sign/

-Wingrider

Erm.. 2010 model-

"...Let the revs run past 6,000 before you shift and the car will still be pulling in fourth gear as you pass the finish. The GT500 also comes with an always-on launch control that works optimally at about 3,500 rpm in the Advance TracSport Mode, 2,500 rpm when everything's turned off. It works well, but even going without the assistance you can still put in some rewarding times if you keep your head about you at the start...."

???

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/04/07/first-drive-ford-shelby-gt500-day-2-where-do-we-sign/

-Wingrider

theyre confusing launch control with traction control (i think the proper term for launch controlis line lock)--my 10 sure doesnt have it!

Yes, they did/do have "launch control", and yes it was mentioned in a Hot Rod magazine article back in late 2006 just as the 500's were coming out. According to that article, the SVT men dubbed that feature the "Kenny Bernstein" feature, and it was designed to "give the driver the most optimum start (launch) from a dead stop".

With the traction control on, you rev the engine to 3,200 RPM, hold it there for three seconds or so, then dump the clutch.

Yes, they did/do have "launch control", and yes it was mentioned in a Hot Rod magazine article back in late 2006 just as the 500's were coming out. According to that article, the SVT men dubbed that feature the "Kenny Bernstein" feature, and it was designed to "give the driver the most optimum start (launch) from a dead stop".

With the traction control on, you rev the engine to 3,200 RPM, hold it there for three seconds or so, then dump the clutch.

That is really awesome! Do the 2011 and 2012 cars (planned) have this feature too? Can you just matt the throttle and go and it will modulate?

What if you hold it at 3100 for 2.5 or 4 seconds or something? Does it HAVE to be at 3200 for the computer to do it right? I am very confused as to how it works.

Oh brother. I swear that some just want to be contary just for the sake of it.

"The sky is blue."

"No, it's not."

HERE, READ IT FOR YOURSELF. DIRECT FROM THE CAR AND DRIVER ARTICLE THAT'S LINKED IN THE FIRST POST OF THIS FORUM. I SUPPOSE THE WRITER OF THE ARTICLE IS WRONG TOO.

"The GT500 also has a useful launch-control system that's part of the standard traction control. To get a nearly perfect hole shot, all you have to do is rev the engine to 3200 rpm, dump the clutch, and floor it. The system automatically modulates engine power to make the driver look like Kenny Bernstein. With it, we hit 60 mph in 4.6 seconds."

That's almost identical to what the Hot Rod Magazine article stated too, except their story went on to say that the SVT men gave that feature the "Kenny Bernstein launch control" moniker. And if you think that I'm making this stuff up, you can go up to post one, click in the link and read it there too.

Wrong my ass.

Oh brother. I swear that some just want to be contary just for the sake of it.

"The sky is blue."

"No, it's not."

HERE, READ IT FOR YOURSELF. DIRECT FROM THE CAR AND DRIVER ARTICLE THAT'S LINKED IN THE FIRST POST OF THIS FORUM. I SUPPOSE THE WRITER OF THE ARTICLE IS WRONG TOO.

"The GT500 also has a useful launch-control system that's part of the standard traction control. To get a nearly perfect hole shot, all you have to do is rev the engine to 3200 rpm, dump the clutch, and floor it. The system automatically modulates engine power to make the driver look like Kenny Bernstein. With it, we hit 60 mph in 4.6 seconds."

That's almost identical to what the Hot Rod Magazine article stated too, except their story went on to say that the SVT men gave that feature the "Kenny Bernstein launch control" moniker. And if you think that I'm making this stuff up, you can go up to post one, click in the link and read it there too.

Wrong my ass.

The kind of 'launch control' I'm talking about is the use of a traditional line lock. Then, you can vary RPM launch points to yield the best launch in changing track conditions.

The kind of 'launch control' I'm talking about is the use of a traditional line lock. Then, you can vary RPM launch points to yield the best launch in changing track conditions.

The Corvette (and apparently GT500) are better. They do all that for you. No thinking. You just rev to a pre-set RPM that is enough to blow the tires off on ANY track day and let rip. The engine senses wheel-spin up to 100 times a second (on the 'vette, dunno about the Ford) and modulates engine-power, resulting in great 0-60's and 60' times. The Z06 using Launch Control did 0-60 in 3.65 seconds. The best tester GM had only managed 3.60.

I dunno how good Ford's system is as this is the first I ever heard of it.

^THere is an explanation of how launch control works. No line-lock required. Those are for burnouts.

Darth, my post was not directed at you. :salute:

Is this "Launch Control" only on the 2007's or was it carried over to 2008 and 2009?

Has anyone tried it, and if so how did it work?

Thanks

It was carried over to 08 and 09, but I don't know about the 10's. Yes, I have tried it a few times and found that it does provide a better launch than just reving the engine to a random RPM and then dumping the clutch. The key to engaging it is holding the RPM's at 3,200 for about three seconds, after that the computer will take care of the rest.

Try it!

It was carried over to 08 and 09, but I don't know about the 10's. Yes, I have tried it a few times and found that it does provide a better launch than just reving the engine to a random RPM and then dumping the clutch. The key to engaging it is holding the RPM's at 3,200 for about three seconds, after that the computer will take care of the rest.

Try it!

I may try it this weekend.I am going down the track for the first time, not first time with this car but the first time ever, and I am 59.

So I hold it at 3200 for three seconds, the light turns green I pop the clutch and put the pedal down. Of course this will take place after I make a few runs to get the feel of things.

I may try it this weekend.I am going down the track for the first time, not first time with this car but the first time ever, and I am 59.

So I hold it at 3200 for three seconds, the light turns green I pop the clutch and put the pedal down. Of course this will take place after I make a few runs to get the feel of things.

remember,if you leave when the tree goes green,youll be too late.When you see the last yellow come on, say the word "click" to youre self and let the clutch go.Your Et shoiuld be around 0.7 after a few prcatice shots.59 not too old to learn new things--read my signature--

Would really like to know if the 2010-2011 have this feature. On the 07-09, does it flash something on the info screen advising this is engaged when you do it?

I know the 2011 has the traction control with the "Sport Trac"......heck its all confusing!!!! LOL

Would really like to know if the 2010-2011 have this feature. On the 07-09, does it flash something on the info screen advising this is engaged when you do it?

I know the 2011 has the traction control with the "Sport Trac"......heck its all confusing!!!! LOL

No, there's no indicator in the IC that says it's engaged, it's just does after holding the revs for three seconds at 3,200 RPMs. Remember, the TC must be on.

remember,if you leave when the tree goes green,youll be too late.When you see the last yellow come on, say the word "click" to youre self and let the clutch go.Your Et shoiuld be around 0.7 after a few prcatice shots.59 not too old to learn new things--read my signature--

Thanks for the info.

i've tried this many times in my 09', and yes it does work. I would try around 3500rpms hold for a few seconds dump clutch and mash the gas, the car will bog then tear off. This is NOT launch control as Son Of GT states it is traction control( NOT the same thing). The comp is slowing wheel spin with your rear brakes, in turn wearing them out prematurely. I find it faster to peddle the car to get better 60' times, but it is fun, try it.

My launch control must be broke cry.gif . The 2010 TC is nothing like the vettes' launch control. The vettes' launch control actually makes you drive the car faster (easy mode). Our TC seems to only pull timing; yes it limits wheelspin but I can't imagine it helps anyone but the most novice performance drivers in quickness.

Come on Ford give us options on our GT500s like: awd / auto trans / paddle shifter / launch control.... I want easy/lazy mode! What's wrong with texting or reading a book while I mash the loud pedal and pull 11s in the 1/4? I want this to be simple so I can go fast like everyone else, not just those with skills doh.gif

Son of GT just doesn't know what launch control is guys. GT500 doesn't have launch control, it has traction control. Launch control can be found on other brands, but no Fords to date. He can chest beat and yell in all caps and colors all he wants, doesn't change the fact. Car and Driver referred to the GT500's traction control as launch control, big deal. The industry doesn't define launch control as such. Check your owners manual for "launch control". Let me know when you find the section. =)

Let's not forget Son of GT is also the one who said Ford was "fixing the 2011 GT500 diaper for everyone". Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, or Car and Driver for that matter.

I agree that what is being explained is NOT "launch control" in the traditional sense of the word, but anything that assists in lowering 0-60 times without much manipulation from the driver can technically be dubbed "launch control."

When I think of launch control, I think of a two step, trans brake (in an auto car) or in the very primitive sense, line locks. The Vette has what is known as a "two-step" and is basically (in the easiest way to explain it) a trans brake for a manual car. It locks the rev limiter at a predetermined RPM level until the ECU senses movement. So as long as the car is still, the ECU engages the first step of the two step rev limiter. Once the car is moving (which is translated by the speed sensors) the second step of the rev limiter is engaged and the car will rev past the first step. So if you want to launch at 3500 RPM but you want your actual WOT rev limit at 7000 RPM , you set the first stage of your two step at 3500 and the 2nd at 7000. The launch control on the Vette (and as is being touted on the GT500 in this thread) goes one step further by not only giving you that two step feature, but also by controlling the actual throttle response based on the traction that the car is getting. The driver just mashes the gas and lets the computer do all the work for him.

I can tell you for sure that the GT500 does NOT have this feature. I'm not sure if the 10' has the 3200 RPM hold that engages a tire spin assist without completely killing the cars ability to get out of its own way, but I can tell you with 100% certainty that in the past, Fords traction control has been nothing short of F'n DANGEROUS in my Lightning and both Cobras. If the traction control in this car is anywhere near what it was in those cars, I'll be having it disabled ASAP! I almost got HAMMERED once trying to merge into traffic in my Vert because the wheels spun just a tiny bit and the car just fell flat on its face. I went the next day and had my tuner disable it.

DAM, I wish I didn't have to work tomorrow though cause I really want to go out and try it in my 10... :happy feet:

Archived