TEAM SHELBY FORUM

20" tire combo for your 20" Shelby rims

CobraCV

In the past few months I have been trying to find a tire package better than the Perrelli's supplied by Shelby on my Super Snake. It was easy to find a good front tire packge and a rear tire package but nearly impossible to find a total front and rear package. In my search I came across tires called Vredestien's. I was very hesitant since the engineers from Vredestien told me they were an all weather tire and I was looking for a tire that was going to perform well on the streets but grab like a bat out of hell on the track. The Vredestien US rep and a local tire distributor Fairmont Tire in Los Angeles offered up a set for testing. I took these tires to Willow Springs "Big Track" and ran the daylights out of them. I found them to be quieter than the BF Goodrich KDW and with an equal or better grip. On the streets, I found then to calm the car down making a nicer, smoother, quieter ride over all the tires I have tried on the car (Goodyear, KDW & Perrelli's).

It has come to my attention that Fairmont Tire is going to offer up to Team Shelby members (using a Fairmont Tire coupon code) a serious discount on these tires for those of you looking for alternate tire choices on your 20" rims. The tire combo is 255/35/20 & 285/30/20. The rolling tire height is almost exact to the OEM GoodYears and works as well as you can get on a 20" rim. The amazing thing about these Vredestien tires is they are priced better than any of the other tires and definately won't break the bank. I should be able to get all of you the code by Monday and the number to call if you are intersted in making the purchase and/or doing the research on them. Who would have known that a tire company known for bike tires was making such great tires for cars. The Dutch can surprise you .....check them out, I endorce and recommend these tires.

In the past few months I have been trying to find a tire package better than the Perrelli's supplied by Shelby on my Super Snake. It was easy to find a good front tire packge and a rear tire package but nearly impossible to find a total front and rear package. In my search I came across tires called Vredestien's. I was very hesitant since the engineers from Vredestien told me they were an all weather tire and I was looking for a tire that was going to perform well on the streets but grab like a bat out of hell on the track. The Vredestien US rep and a local tire distributor Fairmont Tire in Los Angeles offered up a set for testing. I took these tires to Willow Springs "Big Track" and ran the daylights out of them. I found them to be quieter than the BF Goodrich KDW and with an equal or better grip. On the streets, I found then to calm the car down making a nicer, smoother, quieter ride over all the tires I have tried on the car (Goodyear, KDW & Perrelli's).

It has come to my attention that Fairmont Tire is going to offer up to Team Shelby members (using a Fairmont Tire coupon code) a serious discount on these tires for those of you looking for alternate tire choices on your 20" rims. The tire combo is 255/35/20 & 285/30/20. The rolling tire height is almost exact to the OEM GoodYears and works as well as you can get on a 20" rim. The amazing thing about these Vredestien tires is they are priced better than any of the other tires and definately won't break the bank. I should be able to get all of you the code by Monday and the number to call if you are intersted in making the purchase and/or doing the research on them. Who would have known that a tire company known for bike tires was making such great tires for cars. The Dutch can surprise you .....check them out, I endorce and recommend these tires.

I went to the Vredestein site and they have like a dozen or so passenger car tires. Which model are you talking about?

I also have an AMG and haven't seen these mentioned in related forums vs other tires like PS2's etc.

I would need to see some reviews or one heck of a discount on the tires to take a leap of faith on a set. Inexpensive enough if I didn't like them they'd be a great YouTube burnout video.

Are you affiliated with the company in any way?

-Wingrider

The Dutch can surprise you .....check them out, I endorce and recommend these tires.

Who are you that would persuade us to give any weight to the above statement? What background do you bring to the table? Sounds like you have some track experience and it would be helpful if you could share more.

Hi Guys,

The tires I tested are the Ultrac Sessanta. I'm sorry, I should have said that in my post. Fairmont Tire in LA is the west coast distributor and handles distribution for the 14 western states if I remember right from my meeting with Vredestien. Tire Rack buys their Vredestiens from them.

About my seat time. I've been tracking all kinds of cars since 1968. Anything from Sprint cars to TransAm and now mostly club racing in my own cars. I haven't tried these tires on my AMG SL55 and I also use the PS2 on my AMG and DBS. It's these Mustangs and 20" rims that are a hard fit. Tire manufacturers seem to make tires for bling or daily driver applications only and that is what caused my search. I have 3 sets of rims for my Snake. The stock 18" rims I've been running the Goodrich R1 tires and on my Shelby forged it's been the KDW's now on my Shelby Forged SS rims I am still on the Vredestiens. This company seems to want to enter the Muscule Car market and with the club racer in mind. I believe they may be coming up with a tire that provides and R compound and the 20" with 35 sidewalls eventually if the Mustangs, Camaro's and Vette's start buy into their technology. Of course if you own a 2011 GT500 your 19"/20" has a good tire package on it and this will also be a consideration with Vredestien in their future design consideration. If nothing else, Vredestien is a company that now seems to realize that 20" rims and club racers can be a viable market. Now that tire companies are being seriously surcharged for Chinese manufacturing, the tire companies are not as interested in developing more tire sizes and types. Most tire companies have their tire plants in China these last few years and many are looking at finding a way to survive the economy and move to other countries to make their products so that Obama's China tire taxation policy won't cause extreme pricing issues later in the tire manufacturer's future.

If you do any real track driving it is always good to have a taller tire with a sizable sidewall so 18" rims are often a better size for mustangs hitting the track as the tire choices are far more vast and can meet more driver preferences.

No, I am not affiliated with either of the companies. Both Vredestien and Fairmont Tires found me and asked me to test the tires and provide feedback on their performance. Who am I? Really no one. I am the guy that developed the McIntgosh Audio system for the Ford GT and the CS Signature Series Media System for SAI's Mustangs. I'm working on a project now for the Camaro and a SEMA Camaro as well. I hope they add some power options to the new Camaro, the one I just drove is kind of whimpy on power.

Oops, sorry that would be McIntosh not McIntgosh ...geez I hope they don't see that goof

Here is that pricing/coupon information I promised

255/35R20 $174each

285/30R20 $224each

$40 per set discount if you use this special code: TEAM SHELBY or TURN'EM GREY

Email order to orders@fairmounttire.com

For questions… call Rich Arras 323-750-8676 or Larry Harbin 323-750-2840

• 3 weeks later...

As a Super Snake owner, have you been watching/reading the Super Snake forum? We have discussed multiple tire upgrades. Since the Super Snake is in need of traction, and the 10" Alcoa's are not as wide as needed for adequate rear rubber, 315's and 335's have been discussed in great length and are the direction that most owners are leaning, of course these tires require a rim to be widened. In addition to widening the rear, I plan on using a 275/35 on the front of my Super Snake with a 9.5 Alcoa.

R

As a Super Snake owner, have you been watching/reading the Super Snake forum? We have discussed multiple tire upgrades. Since the Super Snake is in need of traction, and the 10" Alcoa's are not as wide as needed for adequate rear rubber, 315's and 335's have been discussed in great length and are the direction that most owners are leaning, of course these tires require a rim to be widened. In addition to widening the rear, I plan on using a 275/35 on the front of my Super Snake with a 9.5 Alcoa.

R

Honestly I haven't been paying attention to the SS posts too much. I do agree with widening the rims but you'll need to do something about the rear brake ducts. I've figured that out too. 9.5 X 20 and 11 X 20 is the largest you can fit giving you the ability to use a 325 tire on the rear and up to 285 on the front depending on the brand of tire you select. This has been discussed by SAI for a long long time but it was determined that they will not supply these rims sizes since it requires a huge order with Alcoa to make and buy the sizes we all really wish we had., not to mention the relocation of your rear ducts. WIth that said, I just tested the Pirelli PZERO Corsa System at Firebird International Raceway in Chandler Arizona. It gives you a 295/30/20 and a 245/35/20 with 2 different tread patterns (asimetrical & directional) making the car grip like a Cheetah. The bad thing is that they are not a cheap set of tires. Fairmont Tire is offering this Pirrelli PZERO Corsa System for $522 ea. for the fronts and $689 ea. for the rear tires making the price $2422 for the system. Add the additional team Shelby club memebrs discount of an additional $10 per tire off and you have a serious set of track tires foe $2382 for the system. This pricing is about $140 better than any online dealer out there. Yes, I know what you're thinkin, OUCH but I gotta say that system is serious and it does make it so you don't need to change your rim sizes or relocate your brake ducts. These tires come from Pirelli's Motor Sport division and not generally known to most people. If you do widen your rims there are a few really good choices added to the list of tires you can use. the Pirelli Motor Sport Engineers were very helpful in making sure this set was a good idea on SS cars including the heavier rag tops.

Pass it along to the SS owners that track their cars rather than the ones that only attend the show and shine events. I think if you only show your car, these tires make no sense. If you are going to race your SNake they make very good sense. On the other hand, the show and shine guys would probably really appreciate the wider ties on widened rims, giving the car a better look. I am sure if you widen your rims and place more rubber on the ground your widening of the rims is effective as well.

Jason

Thanks CobraCV- Brad Saunders took care of my transaction with the Team Shelby discount.

Smooth transaction and fast delivery. This is what Team Shelby is all about, looking out for each other.

Cool looking tires, nice and quiet.

IMG_0579.jpg

IMG_0566-1.jpg

IMG_0576.jpg

IMG_0567-1.jpg

Looks good brother, I'm glad everythng went well with your purchase. Yes, Brad strikes me as a really good guy.

Honestly I haven't been paying attention to the SS posts too much. I do agree with widening the rims but you'll need to do something about the rear brake ducts. I've figured that out too. 9.5 X 20 and 11 X 20 is the largest you can fit giving you the ability to use a 325 tire on the rear and up to 285 on the front depending on the brand of tire you select. This has been discussed by SAI for a long long time but it was determined that they will not supply these rims sizes since it requires a huge order with Alcoa to make and buy the sizes we all really wish we had., not to mention the relocation of your rear ducts. WIth that said, I just tested the Pirelli PZERO Corsa System at Firebird International Raceway in Chandler Arizona. It gives you a 295/30/20 and a 245/35/20 with 2 different tread patterns (asimetrical & directional) making the car grip like a Cheetah. The bad thing is that they are not a cheap set of tires. Fairmont Tire is offering this Pirrelli PZERO Corsa System for $522 ea. for the fronts and $689 ea. for the rear tires making the price $2422 for the system. Add the additional team Shelby club memebrs discount of an additional $10 per tire off and you have a serious set of track tires foe $2382 for the system. This pricing is about $140 better than any online dealer out there. Yes, I know what you're thinkin, OUCH but I gotta say that system is serious and it does make it so you don't need to change your rim sizes or relocate your brake ducts. These tires come from Pirelli's Motor Sport division and not generally known to most people. If you do widen your rims there are a few really good choices added to the list of tires you can use. the Pirelli Motor Sport Engineers were very helpful in making sure this set was a good idea on SS cars including the heavier rag tops.

Pass it along to the SS owners that track their cars rather than the ones that only attend the show and shine events. I think if you only show your car, these tires make no sense. If you are going to race your SNake they make very good sense. On the other hand, the show and shine guys would probably really appreciate the wider ties on widened rims, giving the car a better look. I am sure if you widen your rims and place more rubber on the ground your widening of the rims is effective as well.

Jason

The 325 size you mentioned above, they have been discussed also. Dunlop makes a 325 Sport Maxx GT, pefect size for this modification, drawback $800 + or - per tire.

Those rear brake ducts are a sticking point for some, there is not much room between the 275's and the brake ducts, anything much beyond maybe a 285 in certain tire brands will require their removal.

Since you do the on-track thing, tell me/us more about rear brake ducts and their effectiveness. I personally think that Shelby put them on there for a reason, and they have a function, but many question their value in comparision to traction. I know it is a trade-off...............

R

Jason

245s are way too narrow for a heavy car like ours.

The 325 size you mentioned above, they have been discussed also. Dunlop makes a 325 Sport Maxx GT, pefect size for this modification, drawback $800 + or - per tire.

Those rear brake ducts are a sticking point for some, there is not much room between the 275's and the brake ducts, anything much beyond maybe a 285 in certain tire brands will require their removal.

Since you do the on-track thing, tell me/us more about rear brake ducts and their effectiveness. I personally think that Shelby put them on there for a reason, and they have a function, but many question their value in comparision to traction. I know it is a trade-off...............

R

Well, it is possible that SAI put them there for a reason. I'm sure their brake ducts make as difference. I have the "Extreme" SAI/Bear brakes on my car. A friend and I are thinking of developing a duct kit that lives on the inside of the control arm rather than the outside which makes 11 inch rims easy and 335 possible. I'd like to know if there is enough interest to make them a production item rather than custom, do you have any input on this idea? Any time you can keep your brakes cool/cooler your brake fade is less so of course directing air to the cool brakes is a good idea. When cooling rear brakes you need to also consider heat from front to rear since most heat release happens below our butts and out the back. :D Directing cool air is the idea so open air isn't as good an idea. I think SAI did a system that is easy because it takes more engineering to do it and still be able to fit wider rims.

245s are way too narrow for a heavy car like ours.

Generally I'd say you are right, in the case of the Pirelli Corsa System is friggen awesome

Well, it is possible that SAI put them there for a reason. I'm sure their brake ducts make as difference. I have the "Extreme" SAI/Bear brakes on my car. A friend and I are thinking of developing a duct kit that lives on the inside of the control arm rather than the outside which makes 11 inch rims easy and 335 possible. I'd like to know if there is enough interest to make them a production item rather than custom, do you have any input on this idea? Any time you can keep your brakes cool/cooler your brake fade is less so of course directing air to the cool brakes is a good idea. When cooling rear brakes you need to also consider heat from front to rear since most heat release happens below our butts and out the back. :D Directing cool air is the idea so open air isn't as good an idea. I think SAI did a system that is easy because it takes more engineering to do it and still be able to fit wider rims.

I am a "car show guy" when it comes to my Super Snake, but I would like some additional traction for the spirited sprints to and from the shows. I have the 6P's for the rear and at the time I install them I am going to add the Shelby billet LCA's and remove the original LCA's and brake ducts and store them as assy's.

As for fitting wider rims, some of the guys have also had to trim their bump stop brackets and remove the boot on the upper portion of the rear shock. The brake duct removal was just the beginning. I know a 305 fits on a 11" rim well, and maybe even a 315, but it seems that 335 would be getting on the wide side for 11", maybe not?

R

I am a "car show guy" when it comes to my Super Snake, but I would like some additional traction for the spirited sprints to and from the shows. I have the 6P's for the rear and at the time I install them I am going to add the Shelby billet LCA's and remove the original LCA's and brake ducts and store them as assy's.

As for fitting wider rims, some of the guys have also had to trim their bump stop brackets and remove the boot on the upper portion of the rear shock. The brake duct removal was just the beginning. I know a 305 fits on a 11" rim well, and maybe even a 315, but it seems that 335 would be getting on the wide side for 11", maybe not?

R

The roll of the tire (sidewall) changes as we go wider. 335 is totally brand dependant. 305 is center with most tire brands on 11 inch rims. 315 - 335 are on the high roll side so it would require more clearing of suspension and ducts. I use the KW suspension and fortunately I don't need any suspension mods to meet the 305 if i were more of a a car show guy like you. Because track events means we push the limits on clearences I am going to buy another set of SS rims (now available to SS owners only) and have them both set up to 9.5 and 11. I'll keep one set for track and one set to hang out wit the boys like you. I'll put 275/35/20 front and 315/30/20 rear for track events and 275/30/20 front and 335/25/20 rear for the look on the streets, at car shows and "Pretty" events. After I have the track rims and tires sorted out I'll let you guys know what and how I did it and I'll set up the street rims and tires and let you know there too. I'll be finished by mid month of October.

The roll of the tire (sidewall) changes as we go wider. 335 is totally brand dependant. 305 is center with most tire brands on 11 inch rims. 315 - 335 are on the high roll side so it would require more clearing of suspension and ducts. I use the KW suspension and fortunately I don't need any suspension mods to meet the 305 if i were more of a a car show guy like you. Because track events means we push the limits on clearences I am going to buy another set of SS rims (now available to SS owners only) and have them both set up to 9.5 and 11. I'll keep one set for track and one set to hang out wit the boys like you. I'll put 275/35/20 front and 315/30/20 rear for track events and 275/30/20 front and 335/25/20 rear for the look on the streets, at car shows and "Pretty" events. After I have the track rims and tires sorted out I'll let you guys know what and how I did it and I'll set up the street rims and tires and let you know there too. I'll be finished by mid month of October.

Have the SA requirements changed for the Super Snake logo'ed rim replacement? They have always been available to SS owners, however, they were on a "one for one" swap basis. If you damage a SS rim, you can get a SS replacement, after you return your damaged original SS wheel and pay $500. This is the way it has been in the past, has this changed and SS wheels can now be purchased outright by SS owners?

R

Have the SA requirements changed for the Super Snake logo'ed rim replacement? They have always been available to SS owners, however, they were on a "one for one" swap basis. If you damage a SS rim, you can get a SS replacement, after you return your damaged original SS wheel and pay $500. This is the way it has been in the past, has this changed and SS wheels can now be purchased outright by SS owners?

R

R,

I was told Friday of last week by SAI that you can buy the rims if you are a SS owner without any exchange or core charge. SAI is doing more now to expand the opportunities of making money. I think there is no reason to restrict the sale other than I believe they were trying to preserve the brand by making it impossible to buy a set of SS branded rims. Now I suppose a SS owner could purchase a set and sell them if they want. I personally think that would be a stupid idea but I've had guys offer some pretty good money for my SS branded rims after I get my new SS rims. I don't want 2 sets to make money, I want 2 sets, 1 for track and 1 for street.

J

R,

I was told Friday of last week by SAI that you can buy the rims if you are a SS owner without any exchange or core charge. SAI is doing more now to expand the opportunities of making money. I think there is no reason to restrict the sale other than I believe they were trying to preserve the brand by making it impossible to buy a set of SS branded rims. Now I suppose a SS owner could purchase a set and sell them if they want. I personally think that would be a stupid idea but I've had guys offer some pretty good money for my SS branded rims after I get my new SS rims. I don't want 2 sets to make money, I want 2 sets, 1 for track and 1 for street.

J

I would think that a more realistic scenario would be that a current Super Snake owner buys a spare set for use, as you have suggested with no intent of selling them, but at some point in the future the car is sold and at that point, there is a spare set that is no longer needed and at that time they slip out into the public. I wonder if the KR hoods will now be available as spares to KR owners, you know, "expand the opportunities of making money".

R

I would think that a more realistic scenario would be that a current Super Snake owner buys a spare set for use, as you have suggested with no intent of selling them, but at some point in the future the car is sold and at that point, there is a spare set that is no longer needed and at that time they slip out into the public. I wonder if the KR hoods will now be available as spares to KR owners, you know, "expand the opportunities of making money".

R

I think the current SS owner and the following SS owner would want both sets just to say they have them if not to use them. It's like having more than a single pair of shoes. In this case, I have the stock SVT 18" and the Snake rims.

R, to be a bit more serious an 18" rim is better for road course driving over a 20" ...more sidewall, better weight handeling and more choices of rubber. I'm similar to you in that I want to track the car on what looks like sweet bone stock SS rims, I love the look of SS rims .....I'm on a quest to find the best of both worlds using the 20" 9.5F & 11R with a sticky DOT track tire and all this so I can look good driving the hell out of it on the track. For either purpose, shows or track it appears wideing the rims and moving some things is going to be required ,

The KR hood? ....hmmm I think that dog don't hunt. I can;t see that coming anytime ever.

I think the current SS owner and the following SS owner would want both sets just to say they have them if not to use them. It's like having more than a single pair of shoes. In this case, I have the stock SVT 18" and the Snake rims.

R, to be a bit more serious an 18" rim is better for road course driving over a 20" ...more sidewall, better weight handeling and more choices of rubber. I'm similar to you in that I want to track the car on what looks like sweet bone stock SS rims, I love the look of SS rims .....I'm on a quest to find the best of both worlds using the 20" 9.5F & 11R with a sticky DOT track tire and all this so I can look good driving the hell out of it on the track. For either purpose, shows or track it appears wideing the rims and moving some things is going to be required ,

The KR hood? ....hmmm I think that dog don't hunt. I can;t see that coming anytime ever.

What are your thoughts on the Pirelli p Zero Rosso? I noticed that they also offer a 335/30 and a matching 275/35 for the front.

The only reason I brought up the KR hood is because it was an "exclusive" item for the KR. It was under the same replacement policy as the unique SS parts, one-for-one swap, so no extras get out into circulation. It is a KR exclusive item as are the SS logo'ed 20" Alcoa's, SS emblems, SS logo'ed KB, etc. I don't mind being able to buy a spare set, but at some point in time, I will not be the owner of this Super Snake.............

As for the future buyer wanting both sets, it all depends upon the buyer. If it is going to cost the new owner $2K or $3K for wheels and tires to have a "spare set", they may pass on spares, especially if they don't have a use for them. So then they go public.

This whole thing was about keeping some parts exclusive both now and in the future as it relates to these cars, but, it appears that things may have changed.

R

Roger Sorel has asked that this forum be closed for the the time being. Roger will respond and add comments regarding the facts about the additional SS wheel availablity when he gets a chance to do so.

FORUM CLOSED.

Archived