TEAM SHELBY FORUM

CARB issued for supercharger

Someone just told me the supercharger has passed CARB, but I looked on the website, and I dont see a CARB certification for a Mustang 5.0 since Jul-28-10, so has anyone else heard this news? My source is someone reliable, but who knows?

Then the question, is that what we are waiting for? :headscratch:

hope this helps,

Ford Racing has announced today the availability of a new, 2.3L twin-screw supercharger for the 2011 Mustang. When mated to the all-new 5.0L 4V TiVCT V8 engine, this 50-state-legal powertrain, can produce 624 hp SAE @ 6900 rpm and 536 lb-ft SAE @ 4700 rpm. This is the first Twin-screw unit available to consumers.

http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2010/08/20/ford-racing-officially-announces-new-supercharger-system-for-the-2011-mustang-5-0-with-up-to-624-horsepower/

Well, now Im really confused.....

624HP? So if you buy the SC from Ford, you get 624, if you get it on the GT350, you get 510? :headscratch:

FR offers 2 SC options, the 525hp kit maybe the base SC for the GT350 and the 624hp kit for the GT350R :hysterical:

The Ford Racing Supercharger 525hp Kit (M-6066-MGT525D) includes:

■2.3L twin-screw supercharger assembly

■Intake manifold

■Complete air-to-liquid intercooler system

■Drive belt

■47 lb./hr., high-impedance fuel injectors (M-9593-LU47)

■Ford Racing ProCal tool with performance calibration

■12 month /12,000 mile warranty (when installed by a Ford or Lincoln dealer)

■Produces 525 SAE hp @ 6400 rpm and 470 SAE lb.-ft. @ 4200 rpm, at approximately 7 psi of boost with 93 octane fuel

■MSRP $7,199.00 (black) and $7,799.00 (polished chrome)

and the other is the 624hp kit,

The Ford Racing Supercharger 624hp Kit (M-6066-MGT624D) includes:

■Intake manifold

■Drive belt

■Ford Racing ProCal tool with performance calibration

■Produces 624 SAE hp @ 6900 rpm and 536 SAE lb.-ft. @ 4700 rpm, at approximately 9 psi of boost with 93 octane fuel

■MSRP $7,499.00 (black) and $8,099.00 (polished chrome)

The Ford Racing Supercharger Tuner Kit (M-6066-MGT23TD) includes:

■Intake manifold

■Drive belt

■MSRP $6,499.00 (black) and $7,099.00 (polished chrome)

Someone just told me the supercharger has passed CARB, but I looked on the website, and I dont see a CARB certification for a Mustang 5.0 since Jul-28-10, so has anyone else heard this news? My source is someone reliable, but who knows?

Then the question, is that what we are waiting for? :headscratch:

CARB only updates there site every once in awhile. EO # D231-34, signed and approved.

Very interesting indeed. Could it be the big difference is the pully size? I am guessing the Shelby wanted to keep the warranty and thats why they went with the 525 version.

So much for eveyone saying you cant get big HP out of this engine because of the internals. Although I still wonder why the Boss has forged internals if the stock 5.0 is good for 624HP.....

Very interesting indeed. Could it be the big difference is the pully size? I am guessing the Shelby wanted to keep the warranty and thats why they went with the 525 version.

So much for eveyone saying you cant get big HP out of this engine because of the internals. Although I still wonder why the Boss has forged internals if the stock 5.0 is good for 624HP.....

Lets see how long the ZERO Warranty, 11:1 compression, 624HP 5.0 motor lasts...

There is a reason it has NO warranty, drive it at your own risk with that much boost.

Just sayin...

There is a reason it has NO warranty, drive it at your own risk with that much boost.

Just sayin...

There is also a reason that the 725 HP Super Snake has no warranty. But I dont see a ton of 5.4 blocks being used as paperweights. At this point in their economic recovery and existance, I doubt Ford would knowingly develop a supercharger for their new bread and butter engine if they suspected it would blow up. I'm not saying it won't happen to somebody. I just don't think it will happen very often. 100 hours of severe duty testing is 36,000 ten second passes down the quarter mile or 3000 two minute laps around your favorite road track. Sounds pretty reliable to me. I do still wonder about the forged internals in the Boss. Makes me wonder how much HP you could safely get out of that......

Just sayin...

after seeing what Evo,JPC and Strictly have done with this new 5.0, this just might be the new Terminator. Kudos to Ford :happy feet:

CARB only updates there site every once in awhile. EO # D231-34, signed and approved.

Dustin, in studying photos of the FRPP Whipple kit along with looking closely at Roush's own 5.0 TVS kit, I notice a few things.

- The air intake ducting appears to be the same, with some labeling changes.

- The intake manifold (underneath the blower) appears to be very similar.

- Both are using 47 lb/hr injectors

- Both look to be using the throttle body from the GT500

- Ancillary parts, PCV rerouting, Tensioner, Coolant reservoir, seem to match as well.

Whipple/FRPP

_FRPP-WhippleBlower.jpg?t=1282499844

Roush

_RoushBlower.jpg?t=1282499752

Obviously, there was quite a bit of collaboration between FRPP, Roush, and Whipple. My only guess is whether Roush was subcontracted by FRPP to do the calibration work for the ProCal. Which would be interesting, as if they did, they are holding out on releasing their own blower calibration until late fall (as they put it) as their initial release is a tuner package only.

After all that, my question is this...can an CARB executive order or exemption number be shared?

Tob

According to Ford, the forged internal on the Boss is for sustained high RPM. The redline is 7500 rpm and they indicated that it still has 1000 rpm left in it with a race tune and race fuel.

Just sayin...

Everyone said the same thing about my FRPP 12.5# boost 565 hp 4.6 3V - 46k miles with out a hitch.

I will be a 624hp GT350!

Everyone said the same thing about my FRPP 12.5# boost 565 hp 4.6 3V - 46k miles with out a hitch.

I will be a 624hp GT350!

You're drinking Kool aid again. What do those dufuses at Ford Racing know? Apparently they don't read this forum on a regular basis to find out what they should be doing B)

You're drinking Kool aid again. What do those dufuses at Ford Racing know? Apparently they don't read this forum on a regular basis to find out what they should be doing cool.gif

+1 EXACTLY! Don't listen to the Ford guys. Listen to the guys who have seen pictures and read blogs on some website. hysterical.gif

Dustin, in studying photos of the FRPP Whipple kit along with looking closely at Roush's own 5.0 TVS kit, I notice a few things.

- Ancillary parts, PCV rerouting, Tensioner, Coolant reservoir, seem to match as well.

Whipple/FRPP

Roush

Obviously, there was quite a bit of collaboration between FRPP, Roush, and Whipple. My only guess is whether Roush was subcontracted by FRPP to do the calibration work for the ProCal. Which would be interesting, as if they did, they are holding out on releasing their own blower calibration until late fall (as they put it) as their initial release is a tuner package only.

After all that, my question is this...can an CARB executive order or exemption number be shared?

Tob

Interesting that three days after my post, "Sam Haymart" writes the following...

The system has been engineered in close cooperation with Ford Racing. This week Ford Racing also announced their new supercharger system which Roush helped them develop as well. The Ford Racing and Roush supercharger packages share engineering on the lower intake manifold, intercooler, intake tract and other ancillary hardware.

Have you been reading my posts, Sam?

http://www.themustangnews.com/content/2010/08/roushcharger-for-2011-mustang-5-0-unveiled/

• 2 weeks later...

Just sayin...

Umm, lets do. I think you might be mistaken about who's offering this system on the 5.0L. Its not some fly by night company, its Ford Racing which does not just sell any item, nor do they not test before. If they know an item is going to break, they won't offer it. The fact is, you can make even more power, but it will not live with Ford Racing's specs, therefore they don't offer it at a higher level. This is a system that has been built and tested for nearly 1 year. They have all the tools, equipment and know how to make these work and run in a safe manner. Others in the aftermarket can hack away, build kits with a bunch of adapters and hobbled together, but no matter what, they can never test like FRPP. No aftermarket company has a testing lab that can go from 0deg F to 120deg F in 1 hour, or 0 feet to 6000 feet, or put 50,000+ miles on test vehicles.

The Ford Racing tune has some incredible features that have never been done in the aftermarket, I can tell you its ground breaking and others will try to duplicate.

Interesting that three days after my post, "Sam Haymart" writes the following...

Have you been reading my posts, Sam?

http://www.themustangnews.com/content/2010/08/roushcharger-for-2011-mustang-5-0-unveiled/

This was a partnership between FRPP/Whipple/Roush. Clearly you can see the differences such as the SC and TB adapter.

Whipple/FRPP

Roush

Tob

47lb/hr injectors are built for Ford Racing for these systems.

The CARB EO cannot be shared and is not shared. Therefore, the "tuner" Roush system is and never will be emissions approved. A "complete" system could be, if they choose to go that route but I don't know what they plan on doing.

Thanks Dustin for responding. My interest in these two recent offerings, from either Roush or Whipple lies in the partnership. It is fantastic to see two American companies that are bringing similar products to the market, working together to reduce costs (a natural assumption, no?) and thus enable the potential for reduced costs at the consumer level. More impressive is the quality of each respective blower, including the supporting hardware. What is a bit mind boggling, is that with the technological/manufacturing capabilities that Roush has, that they didn't have an EO blower/tune package. It seems like Roush carried the ball all the way to the goal line only to stop short - with nobody in their way. Then again, how the heck could FRPP offer a ProCal tune for each "package" as well as carry each in their catalog?

I don't know - but again, the partnership is impressive and good to see. I hope everyone involved reaps a healthy return.

Tob

Thanks Dustin for responding. My interest in these two recent offerings, from either Roush or Whipple lies in the partnership. It is fantastic to see two American companies that are bringing similar products to the market, working together to reduce costs (a natural assumption, no?) and thus enable the potential for reduced costs at the consumer level. More impressive is the quality of each respective blower, including the supporting hardware. What is a bit mind boggling, is that with the technological/manufacturing capabilities that Roush has, that they didn't have an EO blower/tune package. It seems like Roush carried the ball all the way to the goal line only to stop short - with nobody in their way. Then again, how the heck could FRPP offer a ProCal tune for each "package" as well as carry each in their catalog?

I don't know - but again, the partnership is impressive and good to see. I hope everyone involved reaps a healthy return.

Tob

Ford will not be offering a procal tool for the Roush setup, they are only offering the Whipple SC. Also, the EO is only for Whipple SC's, not Eaton or Roush based Eatons.

47lb/hr injectors are built for Ford Racing for these systems.

The CARB EO cannot be shared and is not shared. Therefore, the "tuner" Roush system is and never will be emissions approved. A "complete" system could be, if they choose to go that route but I don't know what they plan on doing.

2011 5.0L ROUSHcharger Kit with Roush Warranty & Calibration coming late fall. Per Roush with EO cert.

http://blog.roushperformance.com/blog/2010/08/2011-mustang-50l-roushcharger-tuner-kit.html

Archived