TEAM SHELBY FORUM

From Vettes and Vipers...to my first Shelby

Crushinator

Hi Fellas! Thought I'd finally introduce myself. I bought my '11 GT500 on July 31st and currently have 38 miles on it. It's driving me crazy

not driving this car! My wife and I went on vacation the day after I brought it home and the day we got home, they tarred and chipped the road

in front of my house. I've been fighting the urge to take it out anyway but figured I'd give it a few days for the pebbles to get warn in. I actually

think it's good enough today to take it out. I'll just go nice and slow.

I've owned many of the "affordable" sports/muscle cars since the age of 20 (17 years ago) but this is my first Ford and I absolutely love it! I thought about an '08

or newer Z06 but my Dad has an '06 and I dont want the same thing he has. The Camaro does nothing for me and the Challenger is a fat, heavy

puke that doesn't handle for shit. I had it narrowed down to the Shelby or CTS-V coupe. Then I saw pics of the Caddy coupe. Blah! How they made such

and awesome looking sedan look so bad as a two door is beyond me.

So I called a buddy of mine at my local Ford dealer and told him to call me when the '11 came in. They were expecting only 1 this year. So I jumped on

it. Just about everyone of my friends and relatives like the Shelby better than anyhting I've owned. With the exception of my Dad who is a Vette guy through

and through. He liked my Z06 better. Wife liked my SRT-10 Viper better looks-wise.

Obviously, I can't make any comparison yet to anything since I haven't had much seat time. But rest assured, once I rack up some miles, I'll give a fullreview/comparison.

Some of the noteworthy cars I've owned in no particular order...

'96 LT-4 Corvette red

supercharged '97 C5 Coupe...476 rwhp

stock '02 Z06 black

stock '04 Z06 yellow (ran at Numidia 3 times...ran a best of 12.2 at 117.9. Hoping to beat that in the stock Shelby)

Commemorative Edition '04 Z06, cammed, supercharged, alcohol...etc 695 rwhp

11 second '87 Grand National

12 second '86 Buick T-Type

'95 RX7 twin turbo stock

'95 Viper black stock (P.O.S!)

'01 WS6 Trans Am (boring car)

'94 Z28 supercharged...385 rwhp

'09 Nissan 370Z...had it for 5 months

'03 SRT-10 Viper stock

So as you can see, I love trying new cars every year or two. But I really think I've found something with this GT500 that makes me want to keep it

a long time.

I look forward to meeting you all and learing from you all. I have a lot to learn about Shelby's/Fords!

nice ride! i looked at a couple used 2009 Z06's, but in the end i was not impressed with the interior fit and finish for the price. they are mean, badass cars and if i had enough money i'd have both. but the interior creature comforts just aren't there. the shelby is a better all-around car, IMO. also, the Z06's look too much like a normal corvette and very few people can tell the difference. my wife's dad has an original 1990 ZR-1 and man, talk about a P.O.S. interior. still looks like a normal 1990 vette inside and out. only difference is wider tires/wheels and the bad-ass lotus engine under the hood.

Thanks guys! Appreciate the welcome. Nitronate, my biggest problem with the Z06 is that is so similar to 4 cars I've already had. The performance is definitely awesome, but the Shelby

just feels better. I love the look out over the bulge in the hood and the sounds from the exhaust and supercharger are incredible!

Speaking of the supercharger, quick question...

The stock boost is 9lbs right? Forget if I read that in the manual or here but I wasn't exactly sure.

Wow. You have owned most of the cars I am considering along side the Shelby. Other than the visceral feel of it, how does it compare to the viper/'vette for handling, etc.? Does it feel 500# heavier?

PS. I owned an 01 WS6. It was anything but boring. It broke so much that I was constantly having new "experiences" with it, lol

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome

Thoes right there are nice cars. I just gave my grand parents back the GN they gave me because i couldnt afford to restore it the way i wanted and didnt have the garage space to keep it since the Shelby gets the only open garage space lol

Hi Fellas! Thought I'd finally introduce myself. I bought my '11 GT500 on July 31st and currently have 38 miles on it. It's driving me crazy

not driving this car! My wife and I went on vacation the day after I brought it home and the day we got home, they tarred and chipped the road

in front of my house. I've been fighting the urge to take it out anyway but figured I'd give it a few days for the pebbles to get warn in. I actually

think it's good enough today to take it out. I'll just go nice and slow.

I've owned many of the "affordable" sports/muscle cars since the age of 20 (17 years ago) but this is my first Ford and I absolutely love it! I thought about an '08

or newer Z06 but my Dad has an '06 and I dont want the same thing he has. The Camaro does nothing for me and the Challenger is a fat, heavy

puke that doesn't handle for shit. I had it narrowed down to the Shelby or CTS-V coupe. Then I saw pics of the Caddy coupe. Blah! How they made such

and awesome looking sedan look so bad as a two door is beyond me.

So I called a buddy of mine at my local Ford dealer and told him to call me when the '11 came in. They were expecting only 1 this year. So I jumped on

it. Just about everyone of my friends and relatives like the Shelby better than anyhting I've owned. With the exception of my Dad who is a Vette guy through

and through. He liked my Z06 better. Wife liked my SRT-10 Viper better looks-wise.

Obviously, I can't make any comparison yet to anything since I haven't had much seat time. But rest assured, once I rack up some miles, I'll give a fullreview/comparison.

Some of the noteworthy cars I've owned in no particular order...

'96 LT-4 Corvette red

supercharged '97 C5 Coupe...476 rwhp

stock '02 Z06 black

stock '04 Z06 yellow (ran at Numidia 3 times...ran a best of 12.2 at 117.9. Hoping to beat that in the stock Shelby)

Commemorative Edition '04 Z06, cammed, supercharged, alcohol...etc 695 rwhp

'95 RX7 twin turbo stock

'95 Viper black stock (P.O.S!)

'01 WS6 Trans Am (boring car)

'94 Z28 supercharged...385 rwhp

'09 Nissan 370Z...had it for 5 months

'03 SRT-10 Viper stock

So as you can see, I love trying new cars every year or two. But I really think I've found something with this GT500 that makes me want to keep it

a long time.

I look forward to meeting you all and learing from you all. I have a lot to learn about Shelby's/Fords!

Welcome to the Shelby world !! You won't want ever leave it !!

Archived