TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Decided to stripe the Shelby

Wicked_SVT

After driving myself nuts over the last month I have decided to stripe my 2011 Kona Blue Stripe Delete SVTPP. I will be adding flat black OTT stripes to it. I was going to go with the same color as the SVTPP rims but all the materials that had that color had metallic in it and it would not be warranted because of potential rusting and spotting on the metallic. The car goes in on Thursday for the stripes. I think the car looks clean without the stripes but feel that it is not complete without the traditional Shelby stripes. The nice thing about the tape stripe is it can always be removed and the dealership is paying for it. I think I might eventually have stripes painted on in the future.

I will post pictures when the car is complete.

After driving myself nuts over the last month I have decided to stripe my 2011 Kona Blue Stripe Delete SVTPP. I will be adding flat black OTT stripes to it. I was going to go with the same color as the SVTPP rims but all the materials that had that color had metallic in it and it would not be warranted because of potential rusting and spotting on the metallic. The car goes in on Thursday for the stripes. I think the car looks clean without the stripes but feel that it is not complete without the traditional Shelby stripes. The nice thing about the tape stripe is it can always be removed and the dealership is paying for it. I think I might eventually have stripes painted on in the future.

how did you get the dealership to put stripes on for free

how did you get the dealership to put stripes on for free

Long story short, I told the dealer that I didn't want to buy the car since it had the stripe delete and I would just wait for the other car that I had on order at another dealership. I guess they wanted to make a sale because they said they would stripe it however I wanted it if I went through with the purchase. Even got them to go below MSRP.

The car goes in tomorrow. I am excited and nervous to see the outcome. BTW I went with the traditional Shelby stripes and not the SVTPP stripes. Although the smaller stripes have grown on me I still prefer the wider ones.

Long story short, I told the dealer that I didn't want to buy the car since it had the stripe delete and I would just wait for the other car that I had on order at another dealership. I guess they wanted to make a sale because they said they would stripe it however I wanted it if I went through with the purchase. Even got them to go below MSRP.

The car goes in tomorrow. I am excited and nervous to see the outcome. BTW I went with the traditional Shelby stripes and not the SVTPP stripes. Although the smaller stripes have grown on me I still prefer the wider ones.

man thats good negotiating--installed Ford stripes run $2000 for all the stripes,at least.And they'll be using,hopefully the laser line-up deal that Ford sells them to make sure theyre parallel-post some pics,please---bob

I'm confused about your "rusting and spotting" comments on the metalic?? The metalic is not metal at all and does not rust or spot. Most all "metalic" now is mica chips ground to different sizes for brighter or suttle "metalic" look. Evan the "pearleccent" colors are made with finely groung mica chips as pearl paints went away because of their lead content.

I'm confused about your "rusting and spotting" comments on the metalic?? The metalic is not metal at all and does not rust or spot. Most all "metalic" now is mica chips ground to different sizes for brighter or suttle "metalic" look. Evan the "pearleccent" colors are made with finely groung mica chips as pearl paints went away because of their lead content.

To be honest I didn't understand either. They told me that some of the colors that I was looking at would look like crap after a year and they would not warranty those colors. Mainly the colors that had metallic. Ended up choosing flat black and I am happy with it.

I think they use a laser that aligns everything right down the center of the car.

I think the flat black looks AWSOME! They should have offered it that way from the factory because I think it looks better than all of the color combos they offered with Kona.

I'm curious as to how it reacts to wax's and sealants though. Post up and let us know in the future if there's issue with that.

It's definatley unique. You won't see another Kona from the factory with flat black stripes. I didn't see pictures of the side stripes. Did you have the side stripes installed also?

I definatley like that there is no one else with this color combo and is not offered from the factory. I think it looks great on the Kona. I did not have the side stripes installed. I wanted to keep the rocker panels clean.

I think they use a laser that aligns everything right down the center of the car.

I think the flat black looks AWSOME! They should have offered it that way from the factory because I think it looks better than all of the color combos they offered with Kona.

I'm curious as to how it reacts to wax's and sealants though. Post up and let us know in the future if there's issue with that.

I was told by the place that striped the car to not put any wax on in. It will make the stripes glossy and not flat. I have a detail cleaner/final wipe that I can use on the car and the stripes. Similar to meguires quick detail. It is not a wax. They will warranty the stripes for as long as the car is under warranty. After that if they wear I can have new ones put on. If and when they wear I might have stripes painted on.

I was told by the place that striped the car to not put any wax on in. It will make the stripes glossy and not flat. I have a detail cleaner/final wipe that I can use on the car and the stripes. Similar to meguires quick detail. It is not a wax. They will warranty the stripes for as long as the car is under warranty. After that if they wear I can have new ones put on. If and when they wear I might have stripes painted on.

there was athread a few months ago about a product called Pig Spit--ive been using it on the vinyl stripes,as well as all the black plastic pieces on the car and it looks great

Excellent choice on the wide traditional strips, looks normal on the SVT :salute:

Archived