TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Salt or Ice?

kraegar

So, I live in Indiana, and must drive my mustang in the winter. It's not a choice.

They've blanketed our roads in salt, and at the end of any given day, my car looks more white then alloy. Every few days I try to stop at a self serve car wash if I can, and spray it down. Just a rinse, at lower pressure, to get all the salt & road muck off of it.

I park in a garage at home, and a parking garage at work, so it doesn't get snowed on at all.

Today someone said that I shouldn't be washing it on such cold days, because the water freezes on it in little bubble shaped drops, and they said it will leave marks on the paint. I've never heard of that... but it seems obvious that you shouldn't leave salt on your car.

So what's the best choice here? Drying it doesn't seem a good idea. I'm not doing a detailed wash, and would likely scratch the paint. It's way too cold (around 0 lately) to do a detailed job with a mitt & bucket. I did put a couple coats of Meguiars's tech wax on it before it started snowing, though.

Also, any spots that might not be obvious that salt & road grime can build up on these? The inside of the rear fenders seems to get bad, and I haven't found a real good way of getting the one in beside my muffler.

Thanks!

- Tony

So, I live in Indiana, and must drive my mustang in the winter. It's not a choice.

They've blanketed our roads in salt, and at the end of any given day, my car looks more white then alloy. Every few days I try to stop at a self serve car wash if I can, and spray it down. Just a rinse, at lower pressure, to get all the salt & road muck off of it.

I park in a garage at home, and a parking garage at work, so it doesn't get snowed on at all.

Today someone said that I shouldn't be washing it on such cold days, because the water freezes on it in little bubble shaped drops, and they said it will leave marks on the paint. I've never heard of that... but it seems obvious that you shouldn't leave salt on your car.

So what's the best choice here? Drying it doesn't seem a good idea. I'm not doing a detailed wash, and would likely scratch the paint. It's way too cold (around 0 lately) to do a detailed job with a mitt & bucket. I did put a couple coats of Meguiars's tech wax on it before it started snowing, though.

Also, any spots that might not be obvious that salt & road grime can build up on these? The inside of the rear fenders seems to get bad, and I haven't found a real good way of getting the one in beside my muffler.

Thanks!

- Tony

Tony,

Salt is not good for the paint but I do agree with the person who said not to let the water freeze on the car. Unless your going to do a full blown wash I wouldn't worry about it. The wax should give you some protection. If your that worried about it take it to a local detail place and have them do a full wash for you.

Most automatic washes have a blow dryer set up when you are done. Maybe not where you are from????? We have those things all around here in Michigan. So, even though my car doesn't touch the road with ice or salt, I take the Expedition through at least once a week, and twice a week if I have time. Never had any "spots" on my paint. I am one picky SOB, and that would bother me. Just look for a blow dryer set up at the car wash, and you don't have to worry about water spots or salt, some even have an undercarriage wash! You can always go to an old fashioned car wash for the undercarriage, blast the hell out of the underneath of the car. Don't worry about the muffler, you are changing it anyway, right?

I don't do auto car washes, since I know of someone who did with their '06 pony pack v6 and it destroyed the stripes on the sides.

I also don't know of one with a dryer system.

I wasn't worried about the muffler itself, rather the fender it's "blocking" me from spraying out.

Hmmm.

Things to ponder.

- Tony

I live in upstate NY. We drive around in a big cloud of white salt from December till April. I've never heard of the paint issue from freezing water, but I can tell you that driving around in salt 6 months out of the year leaves you with more rust than metal after 4-5 years. I'd wash the salt off every chance I got.

I don't do auto car washes, since I know of someone who did with their '06 pony pack v6 and it destroyed the stripes on the sides.

I also don't know of one with a dryer system.

I wasn't worried about the muffler itself, rather the fender it's "blocking" me from spraying out.

Hmmm.

Things to ponder.

- Tony

Good point, my truck doesn't have stipes. My car doesn't either, but I usually wash that by hand in the garage when it is cold, or in the driveway when it is warm....Cannot wait for summer! Good luck, ever consider towel drying it before the water freezes? Guess that would be a pain in the butt. I could not see the auto wash messing up stripes though, just ran through one today, and it is good, but not that powerful. I prefer a hand job any day! Oh, are we talking about the thong girl, or cars.......

Took a peek at my car in the garage... the water froze on it as I drove home, but has melted on about 90% of it... only a few spots of frozen water on the trunk right now... This seems pretty consistent with what it's done before.

Unfortunately my garage is really small, and not at all conducive to washing my car in it... it's also not heated, so I may just be sol.

- Tony

suggestion-

Ive put this pic up on several sites, and still encourage all s197 owners to look under your car...about half the cars Ive looked at(even about 1/2 at the auto show) have this opening on one side or both...its the inner/outer rocker junction 'flap' right in front of the rear tires- a VERY abused/filthy area in wet/winter...mine was open on top of both- the hole goes down into a razor thin gap at bottom pinchweld, surely quick to clog with road grime/salt. if you dont fill it, I'd suggest at a minimum blowing from bottom up when rinsing underneath to try and push crud back out the way it came in...

I used 3m seam sealer to fill it, and then undercoated over it(used roll on bedliner). I'm guessing that this area and the junction between front bumper and fender will be the first corrosion points on these cars...mine had 300 miles on it(one week old, hadnt been in rain yet) when I tore it apart nit-picking it apart...pulled rocker covers, fenders/liners, door panels, etc and sealed any crevice that looked like a salt/dirt entry point...dunno if it will help much, but figured it shouldnt hurt... I drove mine last winter on dry days(hey it was new and I'd waited 5 months...couldnt help myself) but have parked it this winter...heres a pic and a link to another thread with a LOT of pictures of a new mustang some fool tore apart :)

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=41237

post-1452-1171331992_thumb.jpg

post-1452-1171331992_thumb.jpg

suggestion-

Ive put this pic up on several sites, and still encourage all s197 owners to look under your car...about half the cars Ive looked at(even about 1/2 at the auto show) have this opening on one side or both...its the inner/outer rocker junction 'flap' right in front of the rear tires- a VERY abused/filthy area in wet/winter...mine was open on top of both- the hole goes down into a razor thin gap at bottom pinchweld, surely quick to clog with road grime/salt. if you dont fill it, I'd suggest at a minimum blowing from bottom up when rinsing underneath to try and push crud back out the way it came in...

I used 3m seam sealer to fill it, and then undercoated over it(used roll on bedliner). I'm guessing that this area and the junction between front bumper and fender will be the first corrosion points on these cars...mine had 300 miles on it(one week old, hadnt been in rain yet) when I tore it apart nit-picking it apart...pulled rocker covers, fenders/liners, door panels, etc and sealed any crevice that looked like a salt/dirt entry point...dunno if it will help much, but figured it shouldnt hurt... I drove mine last winter on dry days(hey it was new and I'd waited 5 months...couldnt help myself) but have parked it this winter...heres a pic and a link to another thread with a LOT of pictures of a new mustang some fool tore apart :)

Thanks for the tips - I'll have to take a look when I can get under the car.

I got lucky in that it warmed up enough yesterday that I could spray it down without worrying about it freezing. Tons of salt on it :rant:

- Tony

suggestion-

I remember your in depth dismantling of your car! Did you ever consider going to work as a Ford Quality Control Engineer? Good work, when it gets a little warmer I will crawl under my car and check that spot. I probably will use the same sealer you did, or something like "seals all" glue. That stuff is tough. Later gaters

heres a link to more pictures of what in my opinion will likely be trouble areas on these cars:

http://mustangforums.com/m_1756083/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm

the fenderwell runoff to the flat shelf behind the headlights I think will be the FIRST areas to rust on these cars, but at least a fender is easy to swap...that rocker panel flap though could become a terminal condition though, as any rust inside there and the car is toast. Most folks dont keep a car more than 5-6 years anyways, so most will never see an issue- but I think the s197 is gonna be the 'classic' mustang when our kids are grown up- hopefully they dont rot like my 69 did- I'm gonna have to replace a lot of structural pcs under that one if I ever get started on it...

at a minimum come springtime, get under the front somehow and rinse upwards into the pinchweld areas behind the headlights. and flush out thru the holes under the hood afterwards...next time you pop your hood, take a flashlight and look back into the fenderwell hole where the air snorkel pokes thru- bet you wont be happy with all the crap packed in there...

Archived