TEAM SHELBY FORUM

some useful info on wheel hop

shelbyGT500

I am starting out with just lower control arms to fix this problem.They are going on tomorrow.I will post the results.

I do have some real info that will definatly help some people.

Most of the times i have driven my car . it was in the low 50s high 40s

The other day i drove my car back from the tint shop. It was 20 degrees out. anything over 1/4 throttle, the car hopped and jumped all over the place.I mean every second i drove it.

Today i turned on the heat in my garage and my car was in there.i was installing the stage 2. The car was in 70 degree temperature for about 8 hours. The weather was once again 20 degrees outside. I took the car out and had VERY VERY little wheelhop. Now i think i understand that the temperature of the tires makes a HUGE difference in how much wheel hop you would have.I can also now see how some people do not have it at all. Im guessing that they drive in warm weather all the time. Alot of you have heard me bash this car about wheelhop. Even in 50 degree weather. I truly feel that wheelhop could be kept at a minimum in the summer months due to the warm temeratures. I just got my car on nov 27th so ive yet to have warm weather to drive it in. Ive come to the conclusion that these tires are a big part of the problem.

I am starting out with just lower control arms to fix this problem.They are going on tomorrow.I will post the results.

The other day i drove my car back from the tint shop. It was 20 degrees out. anything over 1/4 throttle, the car hopped and jumped all over the place.I mean every second i drove it.

Today i turned on the heat in my garage and my car was in there.i was installing the stage 2. The car was in 70 degree temperature for about 8 hours. The weather was once again 20 degrees outside. I took the car out and had VERY VERY little wheelhop. Now i think i understand that the temperature of the tires makes a HUGE difference in how much wheel hop you would have.I can also now see how some people do not have it at all. Im guessing that they drive in warm weather all the time. Alot of you have heard me bash this car about wheelhop. Even in 50 degree weather. I truly feel that wheelhop could be kept at a minimum in the summer months due to the warm temeratures. I just got my car on nov 27th so ive yet to have warm weather to drive it in. Ive come to the conclusion that these tires are a big part of the problem.

I think the tire temp has something to do with it too. WHen I picked up my first car back in August I never noticed any wheel hop. Then had slight when weather turned cold before it was parked

I've put a fair number of miles on my car in temps below +40F. I would definitely say it did not 'hop around' at any throttle greater than 1/4. I blast into the same turns I always do, though at maybe 5 MPH less to be safe, and get the same reactions I did during the Summer and Fall. The rear end ass hop from uneven surfaces is neither more or less (as measured by my butt in the seat). I have been very careful to make sure the tire pressure is 36 PSI under all temps. When the temp drops a significant amount, I get out the tire gauge and bump the pressure back up to 36. I have noticed that 3 PSI makes a big difference in the self-steer or 'tram lining' of these tires. If I was to guess, I'd guess some of the bad manners people report are related to tire pressure being low. I do notice more tire road noise, but I have noticed that on any car I've owned during cold weather.

This is my experience. I neither recommend you do what I do, nor condemn you for not doing it. I do not experience any major control problems. I don't run at ten tenths on public roads to be sure. I do suspect that much of the problem of rear end wiggle I experience is due to bushing flex. I expect to take that in hand in a deliberate manner in the spring starting with lower control arms.

thats a interesting theory ... for I have always posted on the "wheel hop thread" that I really havent seen any in my car per say... but than I am a florida boy with 70 degree weather for the most part.

Does make sense

dond

thats a interesting theory ... for I have always posted on the "wheel hop thread" that I really havent seen any in my car per say... but than I am a florida boy with 70 degree weather for the most part.

Does make sense

dond

70 degrees... :banghead::finger: ive got 70 degrees... if u rotate the 7 and the 0 for 07 degrees... BRRRR and GRRRR

The bushings are different in the stock LCA's than in the BMR you bought right? Could this too not be part of the issue? If the stock bushings are rubber or some type of material that doesn't do well when cold that would explain som of the hop I would think. I've not noticed a lot but when i bought the car it was freakishly warm for Mid Dec. I had virtually no hop then - just spun the tires. In the cold I've seen a little more but noting close to what many report. I'm a big fan of spending only that $ to fix the issue though - heck I may even spring for the shiney ones that match the shifter I never see :)

Archived