TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Aftermarket Seats

This question is just not for Shelby GT owners but any GT500 owners as well...

Anyone change from the factory seats to that of a Recaro, Corbeau, Scat, or other and if so how do you like it? I am looking to change the factory seats for 2 reasons with one being when racing the car you just slide around in the factory Leather Mustang seat regardless of the seatbelt and second which is more important to me is I have nerve damage in the lower back tailbone area and the factory seats for me a little too painful so need something like a Recaro that contours to the body better. I had Recaro's in my 2000 Saleen I had and they were great. Have never seen up close Corbeau's or Sube Sports but have seen and sat in ProCar by Scat and these seats are very good.

Its also important to get a seat that is half Leather and half the material that keeps you planted like Suede or whatever else they call it. The Lexus IS350 seats come with this material and they are very comfortable.

The seat must be able to recline and work on the factory power seat base or its useless for regular driving

Any thoughts?

This question is just not for Shelby GT owners but any GT500 owners as well...

Anyone change from the factory seats to that of a Recaro, Corbeau, Scat, or other and if so how do you like it? I am looking to change the factory seats for 2 reasons with one being when racing the car you just slide around in the factory Leather Mustang seat regardless of the seatbelt and second which is more important to me is I have nerve damage in the lower back tailbone area and the factory seats for me a little too painful so need something like a Recaro that contours to the body better. I had Recaro's in my 2000 Saleen I had and they were great. Have never seen up close Corbeau's or Sube Sports but have seen and sat in ProCar by Scat and these seats are very good.

Its also important to get a seat that is half Leather and half the material that keeps you planted like Suede or whatever else they call it. The Lexus IS350 seats come with this material and they are very comfortable.

The seat must be able to recline and work on the factory power seat base or its useless for regular driving

Any thoughts?

I went thru this myself about to months ago my back kills from the seats. I ended up doing a research and it came done to Corbeau the GTS. I think thats the model it gets the best reviews and is super comfy. You can go to there website and get their # and call them direct to see if you can bolt your frame on to yours. I almost bought them but I have side impact air bags and want the safety to remain. When, I drive my car my seat is straight up with the lumbar out fully and it's been less painless to drive. Now if, I have bought an automatic. My knee would kill and my right shoulder and neck would kill from shifting. But thats what pain killers are for !!! :drool: That's all folks

I intend on installing the Kirkey deluxe road race seats at some point.

They're the same seats that Griggs used to sell (rebadged as GR40 seats).

They are extremely comfortable and carry the option of retaining power seat functions.

However, I don't think that they recline.

DSC03922.jpg

I intend on installing the Kirkey deluxe road race seats at some point.

They're the same seats that Griggs used to sell (rebadged as GR40 seats).

They are extremely comfortable and carry the option of retaining power seat functions.

However, I don't think that they recline.

DSC03922.jpg

I say Nah on it reclining and yes you have to shut off the airbag light

Wedge Engineering is who I purchased my seat brackets for my Shelby Series 1 seats that are in my Shelby. See pics below. I love the seats and love the look, but I am starting to consider whether to go back to looking for different "racing" seats. Since I am only 6'2" (well, I'm really 5'7" but I wish I was 6'2" LOL), I still slide inside the Series 1 seats. I have a 4-point harness, but that still doesn't cut it. I need something with not only a skinnier back/ribcage support, but I need something where my legs will hold in better too. Fortunately, I have HMS Motorsports here in Mass that I can go to try a bunch of different kind of seats.

Here is the page for all the pics:

http://s221.photobucket.com/albums/dd174/aodwyer/Racing/

IMG_6096.jpg

IMG_6109.jpg

Any idea on how to manipulate the air bag light?

I spoke with you a while back about the Kirkey's as I was in the process of adding racing seats. I ended up going with the Sparco Evo 3 since I needed a big seat for my big arse! To answer your question about the air bag light go to http://www.subesports.com/products/cat/Seats/brand/Cobra/prodID/1988. You will need one for both sides if you are replacing both seats. This will by-pass the light as it pertains to the side air bags in the seats. If you replace the passenger seat the air bag light will illuminate if you do not 'rig' the weight sensing bladder from the stock passenger seat into the new seat. Since I replaced both seats I removed the bladder from the stock passenger seat and placed it under the cushion of the new Sparco seat and fed the wiring harness through the sub-belt hole. I am confident it works as stock (fingers crossed) since the passenger air bag light on the center console illuminates indicating the passsenger air bag is off in the case of a lighter passenger or light bag or whatever. The bladder is there to determine if the seat is occupied, what the weight of the passenger is and with how much force to deploy the passenger air bag in an accident. Furthermore there is a magnetic sensor on the stock driver seat that you should consider removing and adding to the new aftermarket seat. It gets mounted under the seat right above the seat track. It's purpose is to determine how close the driver is to the steering wheel and will regulate the force of the deployment of the air bag accdordingly. It isn't necessary to do this, just an added safety feature. If you elect not to do it it will not affect the air bag light. Sorry for the long winded post.

^Thanks a ton for the great info. I remember you asking me about the Kirkey's awhile back, I just couldn't remember your screen name!

Anyway, I intend on adding a racing steering wheel at some point too, so I won't have to worry about the driver's side magnetic sensor. But the other info is excellent to have. Thanks again.

Ken

I don't recall where this was posted but it is supposed to be the Ford part number for a side air bag test plug.

XF2Z-14B022-AA RSTR ASY A/BAG FRT S $12.91

If that would be it then new seats will have to go in seats before safety

Archived