TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Thoughts From a Fellow Team Shelby Member

CrzyHorse

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Guys lighten up,

I didn't bash the KR, all I said is that its a GT500 with overpriced bolt ons. ( Is this not true?) Thats not bashing in my opinion. If these cars were still priced at 100K they would still be sitting on the dealers lots. I'm happy the prices dropped and people who wanted one could now afford one.The KR is a beautifull car and the only reason I don't have one is because they don't make a convertible version. When I had the opportunity to pick up a KR hood I jumped on it because its a great looking hood and I thought it would look great on my convertible. In the other thread I asked for help on letter placement and I got it and all was fine until PaulW started posting. True everyone is entitled to their opinion but his comments had nothing to do with the thread topic. I feel he only posted what he did to stir the pot and heat up the KR vs GT500 feud.

Once Again, I think the KR is a great car but I stand by my previous statement that Some of you KR owners are Insecure AssHoles.

Hey Guys lighten up,

I didn't bash the KR, all I said is that its a GT500 with overpriced bolt ons. ( Is this not true?) Thats not bashing in my opinion. If these cars were still priced at 100K they would still be sitting on the dealers lots. I'm happy the prices dropped and people who wanted one could now afford one.The KR is a beautifull car and the only reason I don't have one is because they don't make a convertible version. When I had the opportunity to pick up a KR hood I jumped on it because its a great looking hood and I thought it would look great on my convertible. In the other thread I asked for help on letter placement and I got it and all was fine until PaulW started posting. True everyone is entitled to their opinion but his comments had nothing to do with the thread topic. I feel he only posted what he did to stir the pot and heat up the KR vs GT500 feud.

Once Again, I think the KR is a great car but I stand by my previous statement that Some of you KR owners are Insecure AssHoles.

I think saying that the KR is a GT500 with overpriced bolt ons is bashing the KR and really goes to show that you, for one, don't get it (and that's fine). The KR went to Vegas before it was titled and was worked on by Shelby's team (yes with bolt ons which pretty much all parts are, but they did the work). That makes is like some of the old Shelby's from the 60 and makes it special to me (and some others). Also, last year and through this year the KRs only have about a $10k cost above a GT500 and I feel that what you get for that extra cost is well worth it (probably a great deal) so in my mind I wouldn't consider the enhancements that you get in the KR as being overpriced (its a bargain).

In the other thread you stated something to the effect that money was not an issue when you bought your GT500 convertible and that they didn't make a KR convertible. I think a KR convertible would be really nice and suggested that instead of wasting money trying to make a GT500 convertible look like a KR that you should have bought a KR (in my opinion) and had a top notch shop make it into a convertible (I even gave you the name of one). It can be done and the results are awesome if done right. Its not cheap but if money is really not an issue then I think that is what you should have done. You would then have one special car, but that is my opinion. Not once did I personally attack you or Cobra Scotty and I tried to steer the discussion back to the car and hood and that is my point in all of this. So, stop with the personal attacks already and get over it. If money is really not an issue, then I still suggest you sell your GT500 convertible, buy a KR (maybe one with some damage that you can save from the crusher) and have a sweet convertible made out of it.

Less yapping and more tech would be nice.

Read Speedyman's comments a second time. He wasn't bashing. So please quit crying wolf. It is really pathetic.

Tob

Well, once again, this demonstrates that neither you nor Speedyman "get it." Its not about performance and the KR being quicker or faster than another Mustang or Shelby (or any other car). Its about what the KR is and means to some of us. So, when Speedyman says "The KRs have taken a major kick in the balls with the 10s and 11s now occupying center stage. The '12 Boss is an all around performance bombshell sure to steal what little remaining thunder their is in the KR realm." that is bashing but its aimed just at the performance of the KR and not what makes the KR important to me. There were other faster and quicker cars out at the time of the KR and there are some today that perform better. I'm not a good enought drive to take advantage of all that the KR or GT500 has to offer (probably few here are) so to have more horsepower or more laterla grip wouldn't make it or a GT500 or a GT350 or a Boss any more enjoyable to me. A Super Snake is a little more money but has more power and a GT500 with some extra money thrown at it could be easily made to be quicker and faster than a KR but that is not the point about the KR. So, to try to insult the KR by saying that there are better performing cars out or coming out is not important to me (and probably not to other KR owners) and then to throw in some insults about the person making the post is just pointless (and, as you know, sometimes just gets them fired up to respond again, which I think is why some of you add those remarks).

There really isn't anymore good threads on here. Just alot of cryin & bitching. cry.gif

Lately, I would tend to agree with you as I would rather spend my time reading about mods and getting technical support but some of this is entertaining. There's nothing wrong with a healthy debate with different opinions and points of view (I often learn something from them) until it degrades into name calling and personal attacks and I try not to go there.

Less yapping and more tech would be nice.

Read Speedyman's comments a second time. He wasn't bashing. So please quit crying wolf. It is really pathetic.

Tob

Thank You. The truth of the matter is that cloning is stupid at this point as the KRs can be purchased new or used for a fraction of what some early buyers paid. Anyone who wants a genuine KR can just buy buy the real thing at a reasonble price and avoid all the headaches.

Cant believe this subject is still going. The KR takes the GT500 to another level and will always be the King. It has nothing to do with quarter mile times or horsepower. It doesnt matter that it was shipped to Shelby either. If you know history, the 68 KR was not done at Shelby and we all know how desireable they are. Overpriced? thats an opinion based on many things, including ones ability to pay. At current prices, I think they are a good deal. I compare the current KR to the Boss 429. No one wanted them because they were not the fastest cars out there. Anyone want one now? At the same time, putting KR parts on a GT500 should not be a big deal either. Personaizing a car, without the owner claiming it to be original is as American as the Mustang its based on. If a guy has the hood and wants to put it on his car, that is his right.

The way we refrain from the bickering is to learn to ignore ignorance, not confront it. And remember, emails, posts, IM's all lack a couple critical elements of communication, feedback, voice inflection and facial expression. Its way to easy to read something that is not there.

Cant believe this subject is still going. The KR takes the GT500 to another level and will always be the King. It has nothing to do with quarter mile times or horsepower. It doesnt matter that it was shipped to Shelby either. If you know history, the 68 KR was not done at Shelby and we all know how desireable they are. Overpriced? thats an opinion based on many things, including ones ability to pay. At current prices, I think they are a good deal. I compare the current KR to the Boss 429. No one wanted them because they were not the fastest cars out there. Anyone want one now? At the same time, putting KR parts on a GT500 should not be a big deal either. Personaizing a car, without the owner claiming it to be original is as American as the Mustang its based on. If a guy has the hood and wants to put it on his car, that is his right.

The way we refrain from the bickering is to learn to ignore ignorance, not confront it. And remember, emails, posts, IM's all lack a couple critical elements of communication, feedback, voice inflection and facial expression. Its way to easy to read something that is not there.

Well Said,

Thank You

ati: PaulW was giving you honest advice and good advice and I saw nothing wrong with the content of his advice or how he stated it. You took it wrong. All he was saying was don't overpay for a KR hood that will add no value to your car and that you are better off economically with a Cervini or SS hood which is similar in appearance. Your "interpretation" of what he said (trying to start a KR vs. GT500) had you coming back with clear unequivical put downs with regard to the KR you profess to love. He said nothing even remotely calculated to start such a fued. Its crystal clear what he said and what you said in return. You clearly were the one that started the "trashing" or bashing. Read the posts. You without a doubt and unequivically expplicity bashed the KR. Don't compound the problem by trying to say you didn't when its right there for the universe to read.

No its not true that the KR is just a GT500 with bolt on parts. Did you read my post above. Like it or not or agree with it or not most KR owners I believe consider their KRs much more then juts a GT500 with overpriced bolt ons. BTW how is that easy bolt on lettering and hood pin locks working out.???? Sorry, but get my point?

Many KRs in fact did sell for $100K and more. The economy killed many cars and many other markets including realestate, wallstreet etc.... So your point is???? In fact ..if you have the money now is the time to buy a KR and in my opinion for the $60K I would rather have a KR while I can still get one then a standard GT500 for many reasons. I not bashing GT500s I love GT500s. I'm just expressing my preference and my opinion. Don't like what I said don't care. Thats my opinion. But hey, I'm a KR owner on a KR subforum. Surprised I have that opinion or are you really surpirsed I said it here. ???

I can't say there aren't insecure a$$hole KR owners as I don't know them all. The ones I do know don't fit that bill. I can also say there are insecure a$$holes that own standard GT500s and other Mustang variants. In fact there are some jerks that pop in here all the time making snide remarks about the KR like right above your first post on this page. So... I don't think the KR has a monopoly on owners who are a$$holes insecure or otherwise.

But one thing is sure. You have to be an a$$hole to come into the KR forum, ask for advice from KR owners, get pissed off because you didn't like the advice one owner gave you after many others helped you out and then clearly make derrogatory statements about the KR.

In fact Speedyman, with whom I always don't agree just gave you the same advice. With prices of KRs at a historical low right now just go buy the real thing and save up to have it coverted to a vert.

You and others who don't own KRs are more then welcome here but play nice and we'll play nice.

Just for the record it doesn't bother me one iotta that you got a KR hood. Good for you. Hope the lettering thing works out. Right up to the point you bashed the KR if you lived local I would have let you come over and stencil the letters on my KR hood for placement purposes.

Finally, putting cars aside and the fact that we may think each other are a$$holes when it comes to cars it appears from your signature lines you and I see more eye to eye politically.

Takes care.

Tim,

I can honestly say that this is best post on this subject that I've read. While I completely understand and share the thoughts of fellow KR owners who do not and will not tolerate unprovoked "bashing" of the King, I also share your sentiment too. The KR is the King just as the GT500 gave way for the KR to be created just as the GT 350 gave way for the GT 500 to be created and so on. I love my KR exactly the way it came from SAI; no more no less. The GT owner who put lambo doors on, neon lights and painted it day-glo green with a brush loves his just as much. If I'm parked beside him at a car show then I treat him and his GT just as I would expect him to treat me and my KR. I would expect him to be just as pissed at me (possibly to the point of violence) if I insulted his GT to his face and repeatedly downgraded his car. I would expect that even more if I was at his "home" club show with 100 day-glo green GTs and my 1 KR. It's his car and he deserves the 100% respect that my car does or Real One's does or Ati's does.

It would be like walking in inner-city philly wearing a " F the Eagles" and yelling Eagles suck. See how well that goes :)

SVTTIM hit it out of the park with his response and I am so glad that calmer heads are prevailing. It's the lack of personal interaction and inflection that causes much of this arguing. I've met GT500 owners who go out of their way to compliment my KR and joke with me about it. Those same people could be some of the people who provoke KR owners here but without facial expressions and inflections that same joke now becomes a personal insult. There are also others who KNOW how to push buttons to get a response and do so quite well. Simply ignore them and they will go somewhere else to troll and feel good about themselves causing contention.

This KR VS GT 500 VS SuperSnake VS whatever should be a NON issue. Ati wanted a 'vert and stated he would have probavly bought a KR 'vert if available. I can relate as I would have loved an '08 KR vert as well and might have even bought a vert as he did and put a KR clone hood on mine if I didn't get a great deal on #895. Hell, I'm even thinking of getting a LS Boss and restriping it and putting more retro wheels on it. And in Paul's defense he might not have been involved in the endless debate over the hoods lately so he just jumped in with his opinion.

I have met some of the most respectful Shelby owners at car shows and I'm sure if we were at a car show together the respect would be the same. Let's all just be a little more respectful to each other so these threads don't keep getting locked.

Bottom line:

I LOVE my KR

Other KR owners love their KRs

GT500 owners love their GT500s

When provoked owners get defensive since they can't readily infer the tone of the jab. I'm sure 99.99% of us wouldn't seriously bust on another's car to his face so why do it here?

Andy

Thank You. The truth of the matter is that cloning is stupid at this point as the KRs can be purchased new or used for a fraction of what some early buyers paid. Anyone who wants a genuine KR can just buy buy the real thing at a reasonble price and avoid all the headaches.

Yes, you're right on with this. Sorry if I misread your prior not about the kick in the balls. Many of us got our KRs for significantly reduced prices and for what I felt was a good deal. For me anyway, for the $10k price difference over the GT500 it was worth it. I think ati was looking for a convertible and since the KR didn't come in a vert he opted for the GT500 (nothing wrong with that either) and I was just making a point that he might want to consider other options (eg. converting a KR into a convertible rather than adding KR parts to a GT500 vert). I guess I made my points too abrasive and this whole thing snow balled until I got all of New Jersey in a fight with Detroit by accident. Anyway, it seems that tempers are calmer and the name calling has stopped so I'm happy to move on to more important things (like whether I should put Perelli Pzero Nero or Toyo T1R tires on her). I've heard the T1R can be a bit slick in the rain and would love some input from those who have first hand experience with either tire. Maybe I'll start a new thread but I'm not sure which forum as there may be more experience with those tires on the GT500 forum.

ati: PaulW was giving you honest advice and good advice and I saw nothing wrong with the content of his advice or how he stated it. You took it wrong. All he was saying was don't overpay for a KR hood that will add no value to your car and that you are better off economically with a Cervini or SS hood which is similar in appearance. Your "interpretation" of what he said had you coming back with clear unequivical put downs with regard to the KR you profess to love. Its crystal clear what he said and what you said in return. You clearly were the one that started the "trashing" or bashing. Read the posts. You without a doubt and unequivically bashed the KR. Don't compound the problem by trying to say you didn't when its right there for the universe to read.

I don't agree, I still believe He posted only to start shit. But everyone is entitled to their opinion

No its not true that the KR is just a GT500 with bolt on parts. Did you read my post above. Like it or not or agree with it or not most KR I believe consider their KRs more then juts a GT500 with overpriced bolt ons.

My reference to bolt on parts was meant to show that the KR started out as stock GT500 and SAI bolted on parts with over inflated prices.

( I never meant it to be a bash)

BTW how is that easy bolt on lettering and hood pin locks working out.???? Sorry, but get my point?

Actually the lettering isn't bolt on their peel and stick and they worked out great, The twist locks are in route and will be installed ASAP

I can't say there aren't insecure a$$hole KR owners as I don't know them all. The ones I do know don't fit that bill. I can also say there are insecure a$$holes that own standard GT500s and other Mustang variants. In fact there are some jerks that pop in here all the time making snide remarks about the KR like right above on this page. So... I don't think the KR has a monopoly on owners who are a$$holes insecure or otherwise.

I agree

But one thing is sure. You have to be an a$$hole to come into the KR forum, ask for advice from KR owners, get pissed off because you didn't like the advice one owner gave you after many others helped you out and then clearly make derrogatory statements about the KR.

Actually the advice I got from FiaCobra was good and I thanked him. Things didn't go bad until PaulW started posting. Maybe I over reacted a bit but he pissed me off.

In fact Speedyman, with whom I always don't agree just gave you the same advice. With prices of KRs at a historical low right now just go buy the real thing and save up to have it coverted to a vert.

Crazy Idea, Not sure how to respond.

You and others who don't own KRs are more then welcome here but play nice and we'll play nice.

I could be wrong but I believe the KR section is for talking about KR's and KR related issues. It's not and exclusive section for KR owners.

BTW and just for the record it doesn't bother me one iotta that you got a KR hood. Good for you. Hope the lettering thing works out. Right up to the point you bashed the KR if you lived local I would have let you come over and stencil the letters on my KR hood for placement purposes.

Just for the record I didn't by the KR hood to piss you off, and it does look great on my vert.

By the Way thanks for the offer to measure up your KR, I would enjoy meeting you and checking out your car. :beerchug:

Well good then. We've all kissed and made up. On to better things. :shift:

Just to make clear while I support SAI's efforts to keep the various KR parts exclusive I have no issue with guys trying to find their own stuff on the side. We already know there is a black market so to speak for KR unobtainium.

Do you mind posting here where your KR hood lock pins are coming from if they are the "real deal"

Thanks.

Post pics of your finished project too. :lurk:

Hey ati,

Sorry if I pissed you off in the other thread but that was not my intent and if you knew me you would know that so I guess I should have phrased my questions differently (the personal attacks are what set me off). As others have said, its difficult on the internet to know how to interpret some statements and questions without seeing and hearing how they're posed. My favorite is the Benny Hill line where he says to a young woman; "If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"

Anyway, in the beginning I didn't realize that you didn't buy a KR because you wanted a vert and when I finally understood that, I really thought it would have been great if you had made a KR into a vert through one of the proven customization shops out there like droptopcustoms. They're not cheap but from what I've seen and read, the end result is as good as a factory job and I think it would be awesome to have a KR vert. If I had the time, funds and found the right damaged, but salvageable KR, I would really consider it.

I could be wrong but I believe the KR section is for talking about KR's and KR related issues. It's not and exclusive section for KR owners.

Thanks Alan. I'm glad someone finally said it.

Tob

Well good then. We've all kissed and made up. On to better things. :shift:

Just to make clear while I support SAI's efforts to keep the various KR parts exclusive I have no issue with guys trying to find their own stuff on the side. We already know there is a black market so to speak for KR unobtainium.

Do you mind posting here where your KR hood lock pins are coming from if they are the "real deal"

Thanks.

Post pics of your finished project too. :lurk:

Hey Real One,

The KR hood lock pins are coming from me. Well actually from my brother's - cousin's- nephew's - sister-in-law, Carole. She builds em up here in Canada, then ships them down to Vegas.

I'm thinking you must want an extra set, why else would you be asking for the details friendo?

I'll sell you a set. Expensive though. Real expensive. Might find a better deal on ebay if you troll around a bit. Guess it depends on how fast you need them.

Lemme know, and I'll get a hold of Carole. She'll want me to act as a go between, cuz you know...... Shelby heat is best left in the engine compartment.

Hey Real One,

The KR hood lock pins are coming from me. Well actually from my brother's - cousin's- nephew's - sister-in-law, Carole. She builds em up here in Canada, then ships them down to Vegas.

I'm thinking you must want an extra set, why else would you be asking for the details friendo?

I'll sell you a set. Expensive though. Real expensive. Might find a better deal on ebay if you troll around a bit. Guess it depends on how fast you need them.

Lemme know, and I'll get a hold of Carole. She'll want me to act as a go between, cuz you know...... Shelby heat is best left in the engine compartment.

I heard that the KR police are using satellite imagery to locate bootleg part fabricators. Stay on the board even if ya end end up behind bars. Sorry RealOne, couldn't resist.

I keep seeing these hoods and wondering why. By the time you add in the shipping, the hood pins, the letters and the stripes its gotta be over $4k for the hood mod. With the price of a KR in the mid $50s, I still think it would be a better option to polish up the GT500 and sell it for a good price, then take the $4k that was gonna be spent on the hood and add a couple grand more and buy a new KR. It won't be a convertible KR but if a hard top is ok then I think someone with a nice low mileage GT500 and some extra coin could be driving a KR. Is my math that far off or is there something that makes having a GT500 with a KR hood and some other KR parts on it more desirable than having a an actual KR? I haven't added up all of the costs for the KR parts that may be available (either legitimately or from ebay or elsewhere) but I suspect that it would be cheaper to just buy the KR and avoid all of the time spent installing the parts. Thats pretty much the process I went through when I bought my KR last year. I looked at the GT500 and thought about the money I'd spend on moding it and figured out it would not cost any more for the KR so I bought it. Even if you already bought the GT500, there is a good resale market for them and some KRs are still out there so.....go get one and come on over to the dark side, you won't regret it (except for the bashing you'll get on the KR forum, but it only hurts till you walk out and turn the key!!!).

I keep seeing these hoods and wondering why....Is my math that far off or is there something that makes having a GT500 with a KR hood and some other KR parts on it more desirable than having a an actual KR? I haven't added up all of the costs for the KR parts that may be available (either legitimately or from ebay or elsewhere) but I suspect that it would be cheaper to just buy the KR and avoid all of the time spent installing the parts.

Far cheaper to buy and install the parts yourself. I went through much of this already.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/58455-kr-oem-hood-on-ebay/page__st__100__p__1003934entry1003934

Far cheaper to buy and install the parts yourself. I went through much of this already.

http://www.teamshelb...4entry1003934

I'm not convinced. The price differential between a GT500 and a KR wa about $10k (when I bought mine) and I don't think you could get all of the KR parts installed for that. The hood (ebay special with no stripes, hood pins letters or shipping) is $3,500 and the front splitter must be $2,000. Then you have the wheels and tires, the gears, the shifter, the under hood parts, rear spoiler, the tune etc. and you've crossed the $10k price and it wouldn't be a KR so when it came time to sell it you would have a nicely customized GT500, plus all the time and work to get and install the parts with no warranty on them. Maybe when the KR first hit the street it would have been cheaper but after the economy crashed and for the cost of a new KR today, I don't think a GT500 clone would be cost effective.

You'll never be convinced, and that's fine, I haven't the desire to attempt it. And you keep saying clone. How many GT500 owners have you seen attempt to duplicate the KR - in its entirety? Not just a few parts, but every single one, including KR side stripes, etc. I've never seen anyone match the car, part for part. What you see are people adding parts to their cars to improve the performance and sometimes original design KR parts are chosen - as I have. They fit perfectly, were designed to integrate perfectly, and they work.

I like the parts because they only offer a mild compromise when it comes to performance sacrifices. Many would argue that OE KR parts don't give you enough bang for the buck and in a few cases, they'd be right. Were I to make upgrades using a healthy regimen of OE parts today, I'd utilize parts from the '11 Performance Package bin. But I've already made the changes and I'm not going back.

Archived