TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Beware Georgia Drivers!

09KR0058

Heard on the news yesterday that the Georgia State Patrol and most municipalities are doing some serious crackdowns on speeding in an attempt to raise a whole bunch of revenue for the state. As little as 5 mph above the posted speed limit will get you a ticket.

The major areas that the State Patrol will be watching are the interstates (75, 85, 20, 285, 985, 575) and main Georgia highways (400 & 316). The patrols are expected to write at least one ticket every 20 minutes, which shouldn't be too hard, given that in non-rush-hour traffic, everyone pretty much drives at 70-75.

Supposedly, this goes through the entire month of August.

I think I'll leave the KR in the garage this month and just drive the truck, even though I already got a speeding ticket in the truck. :banghead:

I stand corrected. I heard this on the radio yesterday, but wasn't paying really close attention. I guess they were just reiterating that this was indeed a hoax.

The worst part of this is that I almost always check Snopes, but didn't even think about it this time.

:bag: :hide:

Hoax or not, cops will never admit to having a "quota", official or not. I drove my car home from Shelby last Wednesday and passed no fewer than 20 troopers between the outskirts of Vegas and the outskirts of Pahrump (60-ish miles)--I lost count, literally. If they weren't up to no good, I'd like to know what they were up to! Every state, county and municipal government is hurting, and tickets are easy revenue.

Heard on the news yesterday that the Georgia State Patrol and most municipalities are doing some serious crackdowns on speeding in an attempt to raise a whole bunch of revenue for the state. As little as 5 mph above the posted speed limit will get you a ticket.

The major areas that the State Patrol will be watching are the interstates (75, 85, 20, 285, 985, 575) and main Georgia highways (400 & 316). The patrols are expected to write at least one ticket every 20 minutes, which shouldn't be too hard, given that in non-rush-hour traffic, everyone pretty much drives at 70-75.

Supposedly, this goes through the entire month of August.

I think I'll leave the KR in the garage this month and just drive the truck, even though I already got a speeding ticket in the truck. :banghead:

??? how do you pull that one off???

??? how do you pull that one off???

I only had the truck for about 3 weeks. Going through a residential area (on a main road) with a posted speed limit of 35. Hardly any traffic and I was listening to something on the radio and not paying attention. As I turned a slight bend in the road, I saw a motorcycle cop step out into the road about 2 blocks ahead of me. I immediately let off the gas, looked down and saw that my speed was 47 and dropping. He motioned me over and came up and showed me the laser gun. It said 52.

Yeah, I probably was doing 52. This truck rides so smooth and is so quiet, you just don't hear any wind or road noise. Plus, I'm still getting used to that featherweight gas pedal. No way I was going to say anything to the cop. One thing I've learned over the years is to shut up and don't say ANYTHING. Got the ticket and went on my way.

Now jump forward about 6-7 weeks. I never pay a ticket in advance, mainly because of the points it puts on your license, which, these days, is all but guaranteed to raise your insurance rate. I show up in court, in a suit and tie. Listen to the prosecutor go through her talk. One by one, she calls us up. You can plead guilty, nolo or not guilty. For the first two, you see the judge who sets the fine and you're off. For not guilty, they then schedule a separate court date with a judge or jury (your choice). I plead NOLO and she sets the fine at $65 with no points. Paying in advance would have been $235 and 3 points.

A few minutes later, the judge comes in and starts hearing the pleas. When I got up there, she had a huge grin on her face and in front of the whole court, thanked me for dressing appropriately. She dropped the fine to $20 with no points. I sat down on a bench off to the side and she started hearing the next case. After less than 5 minutes, she stopped the case she was hearing and pointed to one of the bailiffs and said "This man has been waiting too long. Please take care of him immediately so he can go", all the while still smiling at me. She apologized to me for the delay!

Not bad, eh?

I only had the truck for about 3 weeks. Going through a residential area (on a main road) with a posted speed limit of 35. Hardly any traffic and I was listening to something on the radio and not paying attention. As I turned a slight bend in the road, I saw a motorcycle cop step out into the road about 2 blocks ahead of me. I immediately let off the gas, looked down and saw that my speed was 47 and dropping. He motioned me over and came up and showed me the laser gun. It said 52.

Yeah, I probably was doing 52. This truck rides so smooth and is so quiet, you just don't hear any wind or road noise. Plus, I'm still getting used to that featherweight gas pedal. No way I was going to say anything to the cop. One thing I've learned over the years is to shut up and don't say ANYTHING. Got the ticket and went on my way.

Now jump forward about 6-7 weeks. I never pay a ticket in advance, mainly because of the points it puts on your license, which, these days, is all but guaranteed to raise your insurance rate. I show up in court, in a suit and tie. Listen to the prosecutor go through her talk. One by one, she calls us up. You can plead guilty, nolo or not guilty. For the first two, you see the judge who sets the fine and you're off. For not guilty, they then schedule a separate court date with a judge or jury (your choice). I plead NOLO and she sets the fine at $65 with no points. Paying in advance would have been $235 and 3 points.

A few minutes later, the judge comes in and starts hearing the pleas. When I got up there, she had a huge grin on her face and in front of the whole court, thanked me for dressing appropriately. She dropped the fine to $20 with no points. I sat down on a bench off to the side and she started hearing the next case. After less than 5 minutes, she stopped the case she was hearing and pointed to one of the bailiffs and said "This man has been waiting too long. Please take care of him immediately so he can go", all the while still smiling at me. She apologized to me for the delay!

Not bad, eh?

Now thats a deal! I bought a 9500ix to replace my 8500 one week after I bought the car.

Now thats a deal! I bought a 9500ix to replace my 8500 one week after I bought the car.

Yep, I have the 9500ix also, but I keep it in the KR. Never expected to get a speeding ticket in the truck, especially just driving around town!

DOH!

Urban legend or not, I drive from either Mid-town or the airport to Alpharetta several times a month. When it's dark, I will get hit five or six times by laser on my way home. GSP, Atlanta Police, Sandy Springs, Roswell, and Alpharetta are all very busy for the last several months. That's not an urban legend. During the day, not so much of a problem.

The worst are John's Creek. Driving the freaking Town and Country, I got pulled over, then pulled over again, and then pulled over yet again for an expired tag, all within two miles. No ticket, I wasn't speeding, and I actually DID have the car registered, but my lovely other half had not actually put the damn sticker on the plate. I asked the third guy to put an APB out that said to NOT pull over the van again, as I wanted to get home before my bedtime. We've had two tickets in the household in the last year, both of which were minor infractions issued by John's Creek.

Alittle off topic but are there many more guys in the North Atlanta area? My folks live in Alpharetta and I go see them every so often. Maybe we should get together one weekend.

Sure. I also belong to the local Cars and Coffee which meets in (barf) Johns Creek, at the Starbucks on Medlock Bridge Rd at the intersection of State Bridge, 7am Saturdays. I'm the only Shelby so far, I get out there every now and then. PM me if you're in the area.

There's a mess of owners in the area but I've had limited success in meeting them except for the occasional meet and greet.

Sure. I also belong to the local Cars and Coffee which meets in (barf) Johns Creek, at the Starbucks on Medlock Bridge Rd at the intersection of State Bridge, 7am Saturdays. I'm the only Shelby so far, I get out there every now and then. PM me if you're in the area.

There's a mess of owners in the area but I've had limited success in meeting them except for the occasional meet and greet.

There's plans in the works to correct that......stay tuned!!

Alittle off topic but are there many more guys in the North Atlanta area? My folks live in Alpharetta and I go see them every so often. Maybe we should get together one weekend.

The GRMC (Georgia Regional Mustang Club) meets the 3rd Sunday of every month at 3:00 at Mazzy's in Marietta. I've only been able to attend one of the gatherings, but met lots of good people there. Its worth the membership fee just for the newsletter!

Archived