TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The 2011 Carlisle All Ford Nationals Invitational

eagledriver

Ladies and Gentlemen,

It has begun ! The biggest gathering of Kings of the Road EVER!

Carlisle Events in Carlisle, PA who produces the Carlisle All Ford Nationals, the largest all Ford show in the world, has confirmed that the 2011 invitational display will honor the King of the Road. There has never been this many GT500KRs in one place since they left the Shelby factory! The Invitational is chosen each year by a select few who closely look at rare and unique autombiles. Since the King of the Road fits that bill it was honored over many other fine vehicles for the 2011 display.

The Carlisle AFN events draws more than 3,000 Ford vehicles all of superb quality and is the largest in the world spanning more than 3 days. The Kings of the Road have been given the honor of "showcasing" what Shelby has done with the iconic mustang over more than 40 years. This display will feature 24 KRs from 1968,2008 and 2009. They will be selected from the applications submitted. The best part of this is that Team Shelby will comprise 100% of the display !!

I have been asked to organize this group of KRs and finalize the selection process. Obviously we would love to have as many KRs as possible but due to size constraints for the display and logistics it will be limited (initially) to 24. Also, while we would love have 24 silver or blue or highland green, etc we will be limiting the colors so as to maintain a wide variety of options. I would like to preface this by stating that while we only have room for 24 in the inside invitational display that there will be unlimited room directly outside the building for more KRs. I understand weather could be a factor however even to be a part of this "Hall of Kings" display will be a great honor. We would like as many KRs as possible for the event and the outside KRs will positioned in such a way that spectators will walk through the line of Kings as one would do in a castle before reaching the inside display. If we have enough interest and confirmed vehicles then a proposed massive display will be planned and organized in such a way that people will truly be in awe of these Kings.

To keep our Shelby brothers unified with us: all other Shelbys including SGT, SS, GT-500 and the new GT-350 will be positioned at the show surrounding the KRs. So spectators will walk through these Shelbys to reach the KR "Hall of Kings". We want to keep the Shelby brotherhood together so the show will be layed out so it keeps all of the Shelbys together and "up front" ( where they belong I might add )

I can't begin to express how excited I am about this ! Carlisle events will also attempt to have a new GT 350 at the event along with (hopefully) someone who you might reconize. I think he likes to say "performance is my business". Yes, THE MAN himself will be invited to the 2011 AFN. Now I do need to state that due to various reasons this might not be possible however the seed has been planted and the request will be made. Yes, the Father of all performance mustangs will also be invited to witness the largest gathering of his "Kings" since he created them !

In the coming weeks and months ahead I am requesting 100% cooperation from Team Shelby members. Even though this is a KR display you will all be a part of it. The KR is only 1 of the many works of art Mr.Shelby has created over the past 50 years or so. We would like a massive Team Shelby turnout no matter what you have (well, as long as it is a Shelby, LOL). As plans become finalized and cars are confirmed then details will be passed along.

For now this is what I can provide :

The invitational display will be open to all KRs as follows :

No clones (sorry guys), must be original color (repaints are OK just not color changes), Mods are allowed and welcomed as long as it still looks like a KR.

It must be presentable. This does NOT mean it needs to be a garage queen. In fact DDs are also welcome but we ask that you have it in respectable condition. Example : no primer hoods or mismatched wheels or cars in uncompleted or partial restoration. We want to show the public the best we have so keep that in mind.

Drag/track modded cars also encouraged as it shows the racing heritage of the car.

There will be NO charge at all for invitational display KRs. The 24 inside cars will be parked inside from Thursday June 2nd until Sunday June 5th in a secured building. The remaining outside KRs can be trailered each night outside the show grounds.

A KR specific plaque will be made for each of the invitational KRs. These are beautiful plaques and are awesome. They will again be provided at no charge. We can have them personalized for a very small fee. I'll provide more details on the wall plaques as I get them.

A picture of your car along with details and specifics will be published in the 2011 AFN directories given out to all participants and spectators which number in the tens of thousands.

I realize this is a year away but we need as many 100% confirmed KR owners as possible soon so as to start laying everything out. Initially all contact will be through me and I will be the liason for any updates or changes. We have been given a "blank page" so to speak to make this reunion the best the public has EVER seen!

Please post your car,year,color, options etc if attending and I'll message you on an individual basis. Also, given the recent discussion here concerning Shelby models : the olive branch has been passed and we NEED you to be a part of this event. Without all the Shelbys being there it will be only a shadow of the greatness that is Caroll Shelby.

Any non-KR owners will need to register online as has been done in the past. Registration fees do apply to any non KR invitational car and you will be under the normal guidleines of Carlisle events.

This is a GREAT honor and one I hope all of you can be a part of!

Andy

It has begun ! The biggest gathering of Kings of the Road EVER!

I would *love* to go. Thats my birthday weekend too. Unfortunately a 6000 mile road-trip might be a little much... Not necessarily out of the question, I'm going to think it over!

Chris ('68KR #3655, Special order yellow)

I have been watching this post since it went up, and I can't believe people aren't jumping all over this......this is GREAT news. It's a year away and I can't wait. Carlisle is about a two hour drive for me. and I'll be there!

Andy, PM me if you wish, as I would help with anything you need. While you have a contingency from Team Shelby in the area, you might want to consider a road trip to the Simeone Museum in Philadelphia. There are a few Shelby related cars there, but most importantly the first Daytona Coupe. Wouldn't it be awesome to see Mr. Shelby sit in that car. The Aston Martin DBR1 that he raced is also in the collection along with two GT40's.

The biggest Ford Show in the Nation (World?), more GT500 KR's in one place than ever before, the new GT350, Team Shelby, and hopefully Mr. Shelby himself. What else could you seriously ask for? (and no comments about free beer :doh: )

Let's all get together to help make this a success.

Z-man

There's free beer? I'm in! ;->

seriously, I'm really excited, and already planning a 6000 mile roadtrip. I don't think there are too many owners on this list, that's probably why there's not too much excitement...

Chris.

I have been watching this post since it went up, and I can't believe people aren't jumping all over this......this is GREAT news. It's a year away and I can't wait. Carlisle is about a two hour drive for me. and I'll be there!

Andy, PM me if you wish, as I would help with anything you need. While you have a contingency from Team Shelby in the area, you might want to consider a road trip to the Simeone Museum in Philadelphia. There are a few Shelby related cars there, but most importantly the first Daytona Coupe. Wouldn't it be awesome to see Mr. Shelby sit in that car. The Aston Martin DBR1 that he raced is also in the collection along with two GT40's.

The biggest Ford Show in the Nation (World?), more GT500 KR's in one place than ever before, the new GT350, Team Shelby, and hopefully Mr. Shelby himself. What else could you seriously ask for? (and no comments about free beer :doh: )

Z-man

Z-man

Z,

Thanks for the excitement builder LOL! Yep, this is going to be huge ! The 08/09 owners ARE all over this! As Chris said there will be KRs from all over North America at this point. The majority of '68 KR owners are SAAC members and have been contacting me through PMs on SAAC. This is going to be THE Shelby reunion to be at! Hope to see you there..

Andy

• 6 months later...

Z-man

Hi Z, that is a cool collection of cars at the Simeone Museum,I went there last year with our Musclecar Club! Definetly go to Carlisle every year & will probably be driving the Brown 70' Mach up.I usually park near the 428 Mustang Registry Tent .

Chris

Archived