TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Flat Black 500

2kgt281

The SuperSnakes have flat black stripes...... And they look Awesome!

Thanks! Stopped by our Ford dealership today that specializes in Shelby's, Saleen's, etc. Recommended the same. Had 2 new KR's in the showroom - both sold and both with Flat racing stripes.

I am an OLD hot rodder, the only time I used flat black was for primer until my body work was finished enough to paint, that is the way it was in the 60's .

nobody left there cars flat black. My opinion of the flat black Shelby is " It Sucks !!"

I have a 2008 GT500 Convertible - Vapor and about to have black racing strips on it.. Installer recommends Flat Black stripes.!! Stripes on side of the car look like they are gloss. Any suggestion as to whether to put Flat Black stripes or Gloss? Installer is almost insistent that the Flat will look better on the Vapor.

Farmdog Flat Black Stripes...

P1000749.JPG

DSC09915.JPG

:happy feet:

Flat black stripes are "COOL" . In the 60's and early 70's many race cars painted there hoods black to prevent glare. That is what led to so many Ford and Mustangs having black hoods. A flat black car including the rims is just wrong !!

That's just plain fugly.

Harley started doing this with their new bikes a couple of years back and believe it or not, there are SUCKERS that pay *more* for their "denim paint job" than for a nice gloss paint job ("it's a 'feature', folks").

PT Barnum was right.......

Phill Pollard

I think it appropriate here now....can't remember who to quote, but..................."There's an _ _ _ for every seat!"

That's what makes the world go round folks!!!!

I agree a full 100% flat black car would look bad. A spray can job would be a crime.

There are gloss black stripes over the top that stop at the leading edge of the hood vents, they are just hard to see at this angle. There are lots of little custom touches that are hard to see at first glance.

I do believe I did it first on a GT500 and did it right. I don't mind if its not your cup of tea, but I like it.

I will update my signiture pics in three weeks when the new tires/wheels go on.

Farmdog Flat Black Stripes...

P1000749.JPG

DSC09915.JPG

:happy feet:

Looks great on your Cobra!! Installer finished mine last night and just saw it in daylight. Wow. Flat Black stripes look fantastic! Works really well with the Black cloth top. Installer even replaced the side factory striping with flat finish. Looks great. Will post pictures ASAP. Installer made the comment - "Before the striping you had a Mustang on Steroids; Now you have a Cobra!"

interestingly I was at a autobody shop after reading this post and saw a new GTR that had a Flat Black wrap on the entire car, which was placed over the OEM paint job and it actually looked pretty cool, and those guys did an awesome job installing it.

We discussed the striping on my car and the guys at the shop actually talked me out of painting them on, saying that the vynil is a better idea due to the easier installation, cost and that the vynil would actually resist chips better.

The price to have them replace the vynil stripes with one continious strips was very very reasonable.

This shop is a factory Mercedes authorized shop and is the paint shop for Ferrari here in Seattle. Metro Auto Rebuild, they do great work according to my contacts here.

The wrap idea maybe an option for anyone wishing to do this to a 500 in the future...

The GTR looked stellar.

Performance white is how mine is staying...happy%20feet.gif

Archived