TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The 2011 Carlisle All Ford National Invitational

Ladies and Gentlemen,

It has begun ! The biggest gathering of Kings of the Road EVER!

Carlisle Events in Carlisle, PA who produces the Carlisle All Ford Nationals, the largest all Ford show in the world, has confirmed that the 2011 invitational display will honor the King of the Road. There has never been this many GT500KRs in one place since they left the Shelby factory! The Invitational is chosen each year by a select few who closely look at rare and unique autombiles. Since the King of the Road fits that bill it was honored over many other fine vehicles for the 2011 display.

The Carlisle AFN events draws more than 3,000 Ford vehicles all of superb quality and is the largest in the world spanning more than 3 days. The Kings of the Road have been given the honor of "showcasing" what Shelby has done with the iconic mustang over more than 40 years. This display will feature 24 KRs from 1968,2008 and 2009. They will be selected from the applications submitted. The best part of this is that Team Shelby will comprise 100% of the display !!

I have been asked to organize this group of KRs and finalize the selection process. Obviously we would love to have as many KRs as possible but due to size constraints for the display and logistics it will be limited (initially) to 24. Also, while we would love have 24 silver or blue or highland green, etc we will be limiting the colors so as to maintain a wide variety of options. I would like to preface this by stating that while we only have room for 24 in the inside invitational display that there will be unlimited room directly outside the building for more KRs. I understand weather could be a factor however even to be a part of this "Hall of Kings" display will be a great honor. We would like as many KRs as possible for the event and the outside KRs will positioned in such a way that spectators will walk through the line of Kings as one would do in a castle before reaching the inside display. If we have enough interest and confirmed vehicles then a proposed massive display will be planned and organized in such a way that people will truly be in awe of these Kings.

To keep our Shelby brothers unified with us: all other Shelbys including SGT, SS, GT-500 and the new GT-350 will be positioned at the show surrounding the KRs. So spectators will walk through these Shelbys to reach the KR "Hall of Kings". We want to keep the Shelby brotherhood together so the show will be layed out so it keeps all of the Shelbys together and "up front" ( where they belong I might add :salute: )

I can't begin to express how excited I am about this ! Carlisle events will also attempt to have a new GT 350 at the event along with (hopefully) someone who you might reconize. I think he likes to say "performance is my business". Yes, THE MAN himself will be invited to the 2011 AFN. Now I do need to state that due to various reasons this might not be possible however the seed has been planted and the request will be made. Yes, the Father of all performance mustangs will also be invited to witness the largest gathering of his "Kings" since he created them !

In the coming weeks and months ahead I am requesting 100% cooperation from Team Shelby members. Even though this is a KR display you will all be a part of it. The KR is only 1 of the many works of art Mr.Shelby has created over the past 50 years or so. We would like a massive Team Shelby turnout no matter what you have (well, as long as it is a Shelby, LOL). As plans become finalized and cars are confirmed then details will be passed along.

For now this is what I can provide :

The invitational display will be open to all KRs as follows :

No clones (sorry guys), must be original color (repaints are OK just not color changes), Mods are allowed and welcomed as long as it still looks like a KR.

It must be presentable. This does NOT mean it needs to be a garage queen. In fact DDs are also welcome but we ask that you have it in respectable condition. Example : no primer hoods or mismatched wheels or cars in uncompleted or partial restoration. We want to show the public the best we have so keep that in mind.

Drag/track modded cars also encouraged as it shows the racing heritage of the car.

There will be NO charge at all for invitational display KRs. The 24 inside cars will be parked inside from Thursday June 2nd until Sunday June 5th in a secured building. The remaining outside KRs can be trailered each night outside the show grounds.

A KR specific plaque will be made for each of the invitational KRs. These are beautiful plaques and are awesome. They will again be provided at no charge. We can have them personalized for a very small fee. I'll provide more details on the wall plaques as I get them.

A picture of your car along with details and specifics will be published in the 2011 AFN directories given out to all participants and spectators which number in the tens of thousands.

I realize this is a year away but we need as many 100% confirmed KR owners as possible soon so as to start laying everything out. Initially all contact will be through me and I will be the liason for any updates or changes. We have been given a "blank page" so to speak to make this reunion the best the public has EVER seen!

Please post your car,year,color, options etc if attending and I'll message you on an individual basis. Also, given the recent discussion here concerning Shelby models : the olive branch has been passed and we NEED you to be a part of this event. Without all the Shelbys being there it will be only a shadow of the greatness that is Caroll Shelby.

Any non-KR owners will need to register online as has been done in the past. Registration fees do apply to any non KR invitational car and you will be under the normal guidleines of Carlisle events.

This is a GREAT honor and one I hope all of you can be a part of!

Andy

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like fun. You want us to post here or PM you the info on our car?

Post the general info on this thread and PM me on specifics such as owner name,contact info (email and cell #), CSM #, etc. I'd much rather do the specifics one on one.

This way I can keep a print out of this thread to review with the marketing dept without having to worry about personal contact info until the formal list is presented to the printers.

Thanks!

Andy

Oh, and since we as Team members and Owners will be responsible for the display we would like as much "paraphernalia" as possible. This can include posters, photos, documents, articles, signs to hang on the walls. There will also be a secure display case like you would see in a retail store to display items such as key tags, jewelry or anything else small that is Shelby and/or KR related.

Post the general info on this thread and PM me on specifics such as owner name,contact info (email and cell #), CSM #, etc. I'd much rather do the specifics one on one.

This way I can keep a print out of this thread to review with the marketing dept without having to worry about personal contact info until the formal list is presented to the printers.

Thanks!

Andy

Oh, and since we as Team members and Owners will be responsible for the display we would like as much "paraphernalia" as possible. This can include posters, photos, documents, articles, signs to hang on the walls. There will also be a secure display case like you would see in a retail store to display items such as key tags, jewelry or anything else small that is Shelby and/or KR related.

We would be interested in bringing our KR and GT down to the event. Will PM you the information.

I did check the Carlisle registration site and found two "issues" with the registration process. First, they only allow Shelby GT500 to be selected. The other Shelby models are not currently shown. Second, Team Shelby is not a selectable club. It needs to be manually entered. Not that these are major items but they may want to update their web site to reflect the event and cars that may be attending.

Mike

We would be interested in bringing our KR and GT down to the event. Will PM you the information.

I did check the Carlisle registration site and found two "issues" with the registration process. First, they only allow Shelby GT500 to be selected. The other Shelby models are not currently shown. Second, Team Shelby is not a selectable club. It needs to be manually entered. Not that these are major items but they may want to update their web site to reflect the event and cars that may be attending.

Mike

Thanks Mike and good points. While the 2011 Invitational KR reunion and Shelby gathering has been finalized the are many other groups/clubs and displays that are still being looked at. The online info that is now on the site still has not been updated and won't be until everything has been finalized which will be in the coming months.

Please do NOT register online for the KR invitational as we will have specific inviational forms to complete for KRs I will be emailing these out shortly. I will provide all interested KR owners with the required info for registration. I am working with the class selection department to update the Shelby selections allowed to include SGTs,SSs, etc... I'll post more once the website has been updated for the upcoming classes. Also, Team Shelby will be entered as a selectible club name again, once all the classes have be broken out.

While the KR Hall of Kings has been finalized we still have a bit to do for the remaining Shelby gatherings at the show. Over the coming months these details will be completed and the webite will have the most recent info.

Thanks!

Andy

PM sent

I'm definitely planning on being there. I may bring our SGT too!

Any guys from the tri State area let me know if anyone is willing to split the cost of an enclosed transport to get some KRs and other Shelbys there for the weekend.

We can start to plan now!!!

Wow, this will honestly be the biggest KR reunion ever and probably the biggest Shelby gathering ever! I simply am in awe at the amount of responses I've received. Which brings me to my point :

While the selection team will only choose 24 KRs for the inside display that means that there will be possibly hundreds more of flawless KRs that won't be selected. I don't envy the selection team one bit as they have their work cut out for them. Seriously, we could literally have a building that held 200 KRs and still turn away cars it's that big.

I completely understand that the inside group of 24 is what everyone is shooting for. However, if you are not choosen we will be creating "back-ups" in the event someone can't make it. In the event that you don't make the "24" we would be honored to have your KR as still part of the invitational directly outside the building lined up in a "Royal Procession" fit for a King (of the Road that is).

I'm trying to get a feel from the membership at how your interest would be in being a part of the outside KR display. Please keep in mind that if you are part of the outside KR display then you can trailer your car each night directly outside the show grounds for peace of mind. I need to pass the general interest to the marketing group fairly soon if you would be interested in being a part of the outside "Hall of Kings".

Also, while the inside 24 will be commited to attending, the outside display will be more flexible with days and times you can attend (even if you will be attending for only one day). Please understand that I would love to have everyone inside but since we can't we would like to have you a part of the outside display.

Once the KR display has been finalized we will be working on filling the other classes which we (hopefully) will be able to break out into SGTs,GT 500 vintage, GT 500 07-11, GT 350s, SSs, GT-Hs, etc...

The KR part of the invitational alone will take a lot of work to make it happen so I'm asking all of you to be patient and understanding and realize that even though you might not get a 24 spot you will still be asked to part of the entire King display.

Everyone who has messaged an/or emailed me will get a request from me soon for more details and specific pics to forward to the selection team.

Andy

OK now we start to move to phase 2 :

I've received a LOT of requests to be a part of this and have passed all of them on to the selection committee. I've actually learned a lot about Shelby owners in the process. When I was asked to organize this I automatically assumed that most if not all KR owners not only have web access but are active or at least lurk on these forums. Nope! I'm going to estimate the half of the requests have come via telephone or through a buddy who saw this and told his buddy who owns a KR who had his brother email me about it LOL. I am still getting initial requests each day at this point.

What I have been asked to do is contact each of you individually for specific details and 2 very specific pics of your KR. I know some of you have already sent some early details and that is great. However, what they need is this : CSM #, miles, mods (please list all appearance and performance mods), paraphernalia you might have( posters, signs, plaques, etc...)- the paraphernalia will NOT be a factor at all and is simply used if you are chosen so that the marketing department knows how to arrange things and how much space is needed per car.

The other thing that is needed is a pair of pictures. The first needs to be a quartering away pic from the front exactly like mustang Scotty has in his post on this thread. However, please do not make it a close up like that. Please show all the vehicle in the pic and try to have as little " clutter" in the pic as possible. This will be the "head shot" so to speak that the team will use to sort the vehicles out. All photos will be printed out and hung on a giant board for the team to sort through.

The second picture is up to you. This will be the directory and marketing photo of your car if you are chosen. Please be tasteful as it will be printed if you are chosen. Fia cobra has a nice example of a "marketing" photo in his sig tag. It can be in any pose but there are a few guidelines :

1) the entire car must be showing. No cuts offs allowed.

2) NO trademarked signs or insignia in the photo. Please don't park in front of your local Starbucks and take the pic. BUT in front of an SAI mod shop or your local dealer would be ok as both Ford and Shelby are a major part of this.

3) No people or animals in the photo ( at least people that could be recognized).

4) No other vehicles in the photo. Autos in the distant background are OK just please don't park it right beside another car to take the pic. Remember most of the spectators have never seen ONE KR let alone 24. Let's not confuse them with multi-car photos.

5) Have FUN ! Be creative! If you are chosen this photo will been seen by every single person at the show as well as every person you show it to in the years to come.

Please be patient as I will contact everyone individually and it might take some time. If you still want to enter PLEASE do so as we are a long way from selecting the final 24. The '68's have a bit more criteria to go through so I'll need to spend a bit more time with them. I'll contact everyone through both a PM here and the contact info you gave me with your car submission.

Get those pics ready and I'll be in touch with you soon! :happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet:

Andy

When are the pics due by????

The final selection process is in October and given the numer of 2008/2009 owners interested it might take a bit longer than antcipated. I'll be in touch with everyone by no later than the end of September so you should have plenty of time. They want the quartering front view shot HOODS DOWN so that all the KRs are on the same "playing field" photo-wise. The second shot is entirely up to you and owners who have mutiple Shelbys are encouraged to bring both to the show.

Remember not only is this the KR invitational but it also a Shelby grand reunion. Speaking to some owners and regulars of the show I think this will be the first Carlisle show to also feature an entirely seperate SGT class. We will sure have more than enough SGTs to have their own class. I've only been asked to organize the invitational but want to make sure the other classes are represented properly as well. This is shaping up to be the one Shelby reunion to attend!

Hey eagledriver,

This sounds like it will be a real blast. Count me in.

CSM # 08KR0871 (Silver with Blue Stripes) So, I guess this pic isn't what you're looking for (it was a rough winter here in NJ). I'll follow this up with a PM.

Thanks,

Paul

post-26430-128115424512_thumb.jpg

post-26430-128115424512_thumb.jpg

Ladies and Gentlemen,

It has begun ! The biggest gathering of Kings of the Road EVER!

Carlisle Events in Carlisle, PA who produces the Carlisle All Ford Nationals, the largest all Ford show in the world, has confirmed that the 2011 invitational display will honor the King of the Road. There has never been this many GT500KRs in one place since they left the Shelby factory! The Invitational is chosen each year by a select few who closely look at rare and unique autombiles. Since the King of the Road fits that bill it was honored over many other fine vehicles for the 2011 display.

The Carlisle AFN events draws more than 3,000 Ford vehicles all of superb quality and is the largest in the world spanning more than 3 days. The Kings of the Road have been given the honor of "showcasing" what Shelby has done with the iconic mustang over more than 40 years. This display will feature 24 KRs from 1968,2008 and 2009. They will be selected from the applications submitted. The best part of this is that Team Shelby will comprise 100% of the display !!

I have been asked to organize this group of KRs and finalize the selection process. Obviously we would love to have as many KRs as possible but due to size constraints for the display and logistics it will be limited (initially) to 24. Also, while we would love have 24 silver or blue or highland green, etc we will be limiting the colors so as to maintain a wide variety of options. I would like to preface this by stating that while we only have room for 24 in the inside invitational display that there will be unlimited room directly outside the building for more KRs. I understand weather could be a factor however even to be a part of this "Hall of Kings" display will be a great honor. We would like as many KRs as possible for the event and the outside KRs will positioned in such a way that spectators will walk through the line of Kings as one would do in a castle before reaching the inside display. If we have enough interest and confirmed vehicles then a proposed massive display will be planned and organized in such a way that people will truly be in awe of these Kings.

To keep our Shelby brothers unified with us: all other Shelbys including SGT, SS, GT-500 and the new GT-350 will be positioned at the show surrounding the KRs. So spectators will walk through these Shelbys to reach the KR "Hall of Kings". We want to keep the Shelby brotherhood together so the show will be layed out so it keeps all of the Shelbys together and "up front" ( where they belong I might add salute.gif )

I can't begin to express how excited I am about this ! Carlisle events will also attempt to have a new GT 350 at the event along with (hopefully) someone who you might reconize. I think he likes to say "performance is my business". Yes, THE MAN himself will be invited to the 2011 AFN. Now I do need to state that due to various reasons this might not be possible however the seed has been planted and the request will be made. Yes, the Father of all performance mustangs will also be invited to witness the largest gathering of his "Kings" since he created them !

In the coming weeks and months ahead I am requesting 100% cooperation from Team Shelby members. Even though this is a KR display you will all be a part of it. The KR is only 1 of the many works of art Mr.Shelby has created over the past 50 years or so. We would like a massive Team Shelby turnout no matter what you have (well, as long as it is a Shelby, LOL). As plans become finalized and cars are confirmed then details will be passed along.

For now this is what I can provide :

The invitational display will be open to all KRs as follows :

No clones (sorry guys), must be original color (repaints are OK just not color changes), Mods are allowed and welcomed as long as it still looks like a KR.

It must be presentable. This does NOT mean it needs to be a garage queen. In fact DDs are also welcome but we ask that you have it in respectable condition. Example : no primer hoods or mismatched wheels or cars in uncompleted or partial restoration. We want to show the public the best we have so keep that in mind.

Drag/track modded cars also encouraged as it shows the racing heritage of the car.

There will be NO charge at all for invitational display KRs. The 24 inside cars will be parked inside from Thursday June 2nd until Sunday June 5th in a secured building. The remaining outside KRs can be trailered each night outside the show grounds.

A KR specific plaque will be made for each of the invitational KRs. These are beautiful plaques and are awesome. They will again be provided at no charge. We can have them personalized for a very small fee. I'll provide more details on the wall plaques as I get them.

A picture of your car along with details and specifics will be published in the 2011 AFN directories given out to all participants and spectators which number in the tens of thousands.

I realize this is a year away but we need as many 100% confirmed KR owners as possible soon so as to start laying everything out. Initially all contact will be through me and I will be the liason for any updates or changes. We have been given a "blank page" so to speak to make this reunion the best the public has EVER seen!

Please post your car,year,color, options etc if attending and I'll message you on an individual basis. Also, given the recent discussion here concerning Shelby models : the olive branch has been passed and we NEED you to be a part of this event. Without all the Shelbys being there it will be only a shadow of the greatness that is Caroll Shelby.

Any non-KR owners will need to register online as has been done in the past. Registration fees do apply to any non KR invitational car and you will be under the normal guidleines of Carlisle events.

This is a GREAT honor and one I hope all of you can be a part of!

Andy

Hey Andy,

for the second picture would something Like bonefish has in his signature work, Just trying to think of some creative ideas and want to know what if out of bounds...

Hey Andy,

for the second picture would something Like bonefish has in his signature work, Just trying to think of some creative ideas and want to know what if out of bounds...

While I agree that Bonefish's sig photo is awesome I don't think it's what the team is looking for in a directory photo. Don't stress out about it too much. Just take a normal photo, something you'd see in a photo album or a magazine pic; not really a graphic design like an online signature tag.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Andy,

I have a friend that just finished a recent restoration on a 68 KR that is spectacular. He is interested in putting his car in the 'Hall. It

s SFM#3935, white w/blue stripes. It is a 4 speed A/C car. His email address: tl68kr@yahoo.com .

Thanks for your consideration.

• 1 month later...

Archived