TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SteelSteeds 78 King Cobra Beats out the Shelbys and Saleens

Grabber

Today at the Mustangs Unlimited car show I got to see Steel Steed's (Lance) 1978 Mustang II King Cobra that he has been working on, He just finished painting it one of my favorite colors and dropped a new 5.8 Motor in it. The side exhaust sounds sooooo cool !!!

The funny thing today is that the class he was supposed to be in was the Mustang II class but since his car is a"king Cobra" with Cobra snake badges on it , the club made him put it into the "Shelby / Mustang / Saleen" category. I voted for Lance's car but we knew he would not win anything because it was in the wrong class. Wow were we wrong !!!

I had a blast at the show and had lunch there and ended up staying till the end because I really enjoyed talking to SteelSteeds and TedJ. I'm glad I stayed, because I was able to Grab a picture or 2 of Lance collecting first place for the "Shelby / Mustang / Saleen" category. It sure surprised us.

It sure felt good to watch him collect that trophy and see the big smile on his face. Priceless !!!! J

046.jpg

047.jpg

048.jpg

049.jpg

Lance,

It was good seeing you today buddy. Your 78 is coming along nice. I look forward to seeing the interior complete soon too.

023.jpg

Congrats Lance!!!!! After seeing it at Round-UP and also winning his class @RU, glad to see you took another win. The car really does look good.

Take care, Dave

Rob, thank you for the great photos! It was good to see you too, we haven't had as many opportunities to get together this summer, unfortunately.

Great to meet you too, Ted. I hope we will see more of each other for cruising and shows in the near future.

Thanks everybody for the positive comments. I know that the Mustang II is not exactly most people's cup of tea, but ever since I bought my '77 Cobra II as my first car in 1987, I've been quite fond of the "little" Mustang. This car has been a vision in my head since I bought it in 1993 as a project, and to see it finally coming together is quite gratifying. And to get the kind of positive feedback I'm getting, and tons of people commenting about it is just the icing on the cake. I've still got a big smile on my face from Saturday's show.

I'll be taking the King Cobra to the Cruise-In at PIR on Wednesday night, anybody else thinking of heading down there?

ll be taking the King Cobra to the Cruise-In at PIR on Wednesday night, anybody else thinking of heading down there?

I might go if I can park my car inside, I don't want to leave it in the field.

Think they would let my gt500 inside the gates? They say it's for older cars only.

Ted

I might go if I can park my car inside, I don't want to leave it in the field.

Think they would let my gt500 inside the gates? They say it's for older cars only.

Ted

They will indeed, I took mine a couple times last year. I'd never heard it was for older cars, I just drove up, paid the entry fee and parked!

They will indeed, I took mine a couple times last year. I'd never heard it was for older cars, I just drove up, paid the entry fee and parked!

I emailed them today and the new rule as of two weeks ago is pre-73 or all vettes, vipers, exotics or bikes.

Apparently the shelby doesn't cut it. We are going to take the truck and park it in the field outside.

We'll find you

I emailed them today and the new rule as of two weeks ago is pre-73 or all vettes, vipers, exotics or bikes.

Apparently the shelby doesn't cut it. We are going to take the truck and park it in the field outside.

We'll find you

Kept my eye out for you Ted, but didn't see you. They let me in with the King Cobra, but didn't want me to park in the show field. I parked on a strip of grass between the bleachers and the row of trees around the show field, behind the motorcycles. It was enjoyable, but not having a car that can actually participate does take some of the fun out of it. I'm hoping ot make some of the other cruises in the next month or so.

Kept my eye out for you Ted, but didn't see you. They let me in with the King Cobra, but didn't want me to park in the show field. I parked on a strip of grass between the bleachers and the row of trees around the show field, behind the motorcycles. It was enjoyable, but not having a car that can actually participate does take some of the fun out of it. I'm hoping ot make some of the other cruises in the next month or so.

We were there, found your car but didn't see you anywhere. My son and I took my truck and parked outside and walked in. There were some really nice cars there and the racing was fun to watch.

Sorry we missed you, next time I we need to trade cell numbers so we can find each other.

Archived