TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New Product Release: GT500KR Engine Coil Covers

Guest staff2

So what's involved with installing these? Looks like just two screws/bolts? Any specific torque number to put them on? Any problems with taking the old ones off? Do we need some kind of gasket to install the new ones?

And as Scotty said above, if the driver's side is mostly covered by the plumbing (which doesn't really bother me), how difficult will it be to get the old one off and the new one on?

Thanks

There is a torx bolt that is a 3mm or a 3.5mm in the front of the cover on the passanger side and you will need a 10mm deep well socket for the back bolt on the passanger side. On the driver side you will need the same torx for both bolts. You will have to take off the air intake tube you will need a 10mm wrench to remove the air breather from the air box and a flat head screw drive to remove the air intake tube. It took less than a hour to put them on. The look good but you do not see much on the driver side.

Well, if red is the best color, why did Ford only make the intake plaques in blue? headscratch.gif

I'm have been looking at these for awhile; they are fender emblems (RED)but should be adhesive backed and not the old style with the point that goes into the fender and held on by a metal cap... which should mount on the blower with no problem, although I am not sure what might happen when it gets hot...headscratch.gif

http://www.cjponyparts.com/product.asp?pn=EMC13P&utm_source=google&utm_medium=merchant&utm_campaign=shopping&bhcd2=1281063590

I'm not sure what type of adhesive they use on the blue intake plaque but it was specifically meant to withstand high temperatures. I see your concern with the red snake though. Last thing you want is that adhesive drying up from the heat, then the snake falls off. Why not just buy a blue emblem, then paint over the blue with high-temp red paint using a fine tipped brush? It would be worth a shot since they are only $12.

Besides, you'd gain 50rwhp with the BLUE cobra plaque vs. 20rwhp for the red snakes! :dance:

I'm not sure what type of adhesive they use on the blue intake plaque but it was specifically meant to withstand high temperatures. I see your concern with the red snake though. Last thing you want is that adhesive drying up from the heat, then the snake falls off. Why not just buy a blue emblem, then paint over the blue with high-temp red paint using a fine tipped brush? It would be worth a shot since they are only $12.

Besides, you'd gain 50rwhp with the BLUE cobra plaque vs. 20rwhp for the red snakes! dance.gif

I just might have to do that...

I am going to try and find a touch up pen in red and outline the SHELBY on the Strut tower brace, I think that will look nice

There is a torx bolt that is a 3mm or a 3.5mm in the front of the cover on the passanger side and you will need a 10mm deep well socket for the back bolt on the passanger side. On the driver side you will need the same torx for both bolts. You will have to take off the air intake tube you will need a 10mm wrench to remove the air breather from the air box and a flat head screw drive to remove the air intake tube. It took less than a hour to put them on. The look good but you do not see much on the driver side.

Thanks! That's just the kind of info I was looking for. Just got off the phone with Justin at SPP and ordered my red covers. Will try to remember to take some pictures when I do the swap-out.

I love this forum!

Thanks! That's just the kind of info I was looking for. Just got off the phone with Justin at SPP and ordered my red covers. Will try to remember to take some pictures when I do the swap-out.

I love this forum!

Remember to be careful with your tools when installing the new covers as they will get dinged up VERY easily if you are careless.

• 2 weeks later...

Got home Tuesday night and these babies were sitting on my front steps:

KRcovers.jpg

Don't know why the picture (from my iPhone 4) shows so much yellow. Its actually all silver/red.

Got some great detailed instructions from dennis429 above, but still don't know what the torque numbers should be for the bolts. Does anyone know?

Thanks

I called the manufacturer today. Their address and phone number are on the shipping label. The lady I spoke with and the guy who runs the machine that makes them were really great to talk to. He told me that they have similar covers on a GT500 at their shop. He said to not worry about torque. Just use a dab of blue Loctite 242 and snug them down. I'm going to do this now and will post pictures when done.

BTW, they mentioned that they are in talks with Shelby for some future projects. I was chomping at the bit to find out what's going to be coming, but he wouldn't say.

MUST HAVE MORE BLING!!!!!!!!

Hopefully, have more bling that we can see!

I called the manufacturer today. Their address and phone number are on the shipping label. The lady I spoke with and the guy who runs the machine that makes them were really great to talk to. He told me that they have similar covers on a GT500 at their shop. He said to not worry about torque. Just use a dab of blue Loctite 242 and snug them down. I'm going to do this now and will post pictures when done.

BTW, they mentioned that they are in talks with Shelby for some future projects. I was chomping at the bit to find out what's going to be coming, but he wouldn't say.

MUST HAVE MORE BLING!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Rec'd my black covers yestaerday. Put them on last night. Too dark for pics. Anyways these are wroks of art and Jake again has done an excelent job!!!

He did the covers and engine caps for my 08GT500 and my Ford GT. His work is fantasttic and his customer service is even better.

Thks Jank!! Keep up the good work!! ( say hi to Sam)

Rec'd my black covers yestaerday. Put them on last night. Too dark for pics. Anyways these are wroks of art and Jake again has done an excelent job!!!

He did the covers and engine caps for my 08GT500 and my Ford GT. His work is fantasttic and his customer service is even better.

Thks Jank!! Keep up the good work!! ( say hi to Sam)

Frknfast, Thanks so much for the compliments and your support over the years. We feel lucky to be able to make parts like these for true

car enthusiasts that appreciate our work. Especially in an economy like this. Thank you!

Jake

Project321

P.S. Sam says hello!

Frknfast, Thanks so much for the compliments and your support over the years. We feel lucky to be able to make parts like these for true

car enthusiasts that appreciate our work. Especially in an economy like this. Thank you!

Jake

Project321

P.S. Sam says hello!

Hey Jake, thanks again from me also. The people I've shown mine to are just blown away, as I am, how great these look!

So what else should we be looking forward to from you gyys?

John

Hey Jake, thanks again from me also. The people I've shown mine to are just blown away, as I am, how great these look!

So what else should we be looking forward to from you gyys?

John

John,

Your welcome and thank you!

We have been talking Robert about a few things but I wouldn't want to get specific before we know for sure.

I can tell you that we'll have more for your GT500 soon!

Again, Thank you for your support!

Archived