TEAM SHELBY FORUM

STRIPPING LUG NUTS

Whenever I try to take them off with my impact wrench I ruin a lug nut so now I just use a torque bar. I haven't stripped a nut yet torqing it down.

I AM SURE THE STUDS THREADS ARE FAILING, I ONLY REMOVE AND REPLACE WITH TORQUE WRENCH.......

THE LAST FEW TIMES I DID REMOVE REPLACE NOTICED SOME CHANGES IN TORQUING. I HAVE 113/4' RIMS.

GFORCE1.......................

I AM SURE THE STUDS THREADS ARE FAILING, I ONLY REMOVE AND REPLACE WITH TORQUE WRENCH.......

THE LAST FEW TIMES I DID REMOVE REPLACE NOTICED SOME CHANGES IN TORQUING. I HAVE 113/4' RIMS.

GFORCE1.......................

So you're saying that your rear SS wheels have been widened to 11 and 3/4 inches wide? If that's accurate, then you might need to install longer wheel studs on the axle. That's because it's possible that the wider wheel is causing an excessive load on the stock sized wheel studs and the lug nuts are pulling out the threads due to the load being put on them.

mine are widened to 11 3/4" and i use imapact wrench to seat them and then torque wrench to snug them... at 110#.

I have not had an issue. I change my rears quite often (whenever i go to the dragstrip). still have all of the original lugnuts.

not sure whats going on with yours?

mine are widened to 11 3/4" and i use imapact wrench to seat them and then torque wrench to snug them... at 110#.

I have not had an issue. I change my rears quite often (whenever i go to the dragstrip). still have all of the original lugnuts.

not sure whats going on with yours?

Thanks for the input, going to pull things apart today to see if I can figure it out.

Archived