TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GOOD KILL

had a run in with a 08-09? 911 turbo yesterday. i was leaving starbucks with a fresh brew as was this guy. i knew i was gonna spill a little coffee, but oh well. we turned onto the main two lane road. i was behind him as i eased past him. i dropped it into 3rd gear at about 60mph as i was easing from around him...i goosed it as i was easing past him so he would be aware of my intentions. that is all it took. he hit it, then i hit it. :superhero: i pulled all the way through 3rd gear and then shut down about 1 second after i got into 4th. i pulled away from him the entire time...i had two car lengths on him when i shut down. we stopped at the next red light and chatted a little bit. he said his car made 600 hp...i'm sure at the flywheel...with full exhaust and increased turbo boost. i asked him how much his car weighed...he didn't know :headscratch: ...obviously not a fanatic like most of us. i would have been pleased killing a stock 911 turbo...much happier killing a modded version. he told me my exhaust sounded great! i love that kind of comment...he had the best seat in the house to hear my car at WOT!! :happy feet: anyway, i was pretty stoked after that...he can have his german engineering...i'll take my all american shelby!

had a run in with a 08-09? 911 turbo yesterday. i was leaving starbucks with a fresh brew as was this guy. i knew i was gonna spill a little coffee, but oh well. we turned onto the main two lane road. i was behind him as i eased past him. i dropped it into 3rd gear at about 60mph as i was easing from around him...i goosed it as i was easing past him so he would be aware of my intentions. that is all it took. he hit it, then i hit it. :superhero: i pulled all the way through 3rd gear and then shut down about 1 second after i got into 4th. i pulled away from him the entire time...i had two car lengths on him when i shut down. we stopped at the next red light and chatted a little bit. he said his car made 600 hp...i'm sure at the flywheel...with full exhaust and increased turbo boost. i asked him how much his car weighed...he didn't know :headscratch: ...obviously not a fanatic like most of us. i would have been pleased killing a stock 911 turbo...much happier killing a modded version. he told me my exhaust sounded great! i love that kind of comment...he had the best seat in the house to hear my car at WOT!! :happy feet: anyway, i was pretty stoked after that...he can have his german engineering...i'll take my all american shelby!

nice. i just logged in to share a few i just took down.

Nice indeed, I wonder how well he can drive, I guess starting from 60 made the difference, from a stop they will eat us alive.

0-60 in 3.5 seconds thanks to AWD and light weight.

Indeed he either couldnt drive or was afraid of his car. Nice going but the Porsche will eat us alive with a driver that knows what he is doing.

Indeed he either couldnt drive or was afraid of his car. Nice going but the Porsche will eat us alive with a driver that knows what he is doing.

bullsh*t!

why is it so hard to comprehend that an 800+hp car outran a 600hp car (i know his car was much lighter...just looked it up...2009 911 turbo weighs 3495#!!...more than i thought). why does the porsche driver have to be inept? the hardest thing about a race is launching from a dig...unless you have awd. from a roll, it is 1)floor it, 2)shift quickly at redline, 3) repeat... :headscratch: ...what's so hard about that? it is no different than beating up on a modded z06 (non-supercharged or turboed). dwight_c has raced a zr1 a few times in his tvs gt500 and ran dead even up 150mph! the zr1 guy ran hard. zr1 638bhp..dead even with modded tvs shelby. porsche turbo 600bhp...humbled by kenne belle gt500 :happy feet: !! vettes, porsches are very fast, but they aren't untouchable by any means. look, on a track many high performance sports cars will eat up a gt500 (except for you griggs guys). but, in a straight line these porsches, vettes, etc...get too much respect. these mustangs we drive can be insanely fast for the price of the mods. sure you can mod these light cars until they are insanely fast, but i'll race a gt2, gt3 any day of the week in a straight line. i may get beat a time or two, but i guarantee i won't get walked by one.

oh, by the way...try a nice set of drag radials on your car. you might be surprised what kind of launch you can get. i keep m/t on my car on a daily basis because i like traction.

as dennis miller would say...i'm out of here :dance:

bullsh*t!

why is it so hard to comprehend that an 800+hp car outran a 600hp car (i know his car was much lighter...just looked it up...2009 911 turbo weighs 3495#!!...more than i thought). why does the porsche driver have to be inept? the hardest thing about a race is launching from a dig...unless you have awd. from a roll, it is 1)floor it, 2)shift quickly at redline, 3) repeat... :headscratch: ...what's so hard about that? it is no different than beating up on a modded z06 (non-supercharged or turboed). dwight_c has raced a zr1 a few times in his tvs gt500 and ran dead even up 150mph! the zr1 guy ran hard. zr1 638bhp..dead even with modded tvs shelby. porsche turbo 600bhp...humbled by kenne belle gt500 :happy feet: !! vettes, porsches are very fast, but they aren't untouchable by any means. look, on a track many high performance sports cars will eat up a gt500 (except for you griggs guys). but, in a straight line these porsches, vettes, etc...get too much respect. these mustangs we drive can be insanely fast for the price of the mods. sure you can mod these light cars until they are insanely fast, but i'll race a gt2, gt3 any day of the week in a straight line. i may get beat a time or two, but i guarantee i won't get walked by one.

oh, by the way...try a nice set of drag radials on your car. you might be surprised what kind of launch you can get. i keep m/t on my car on a daily basis because i like traction.

as dennis miller would say...i'm out of here :dance:

agree completely..... from a roll a monkey could drive our cars. not much skill involved in a straight line contest from a roll. not really a contest of skill at that point.

takes a much better driver to compete with the AWD imports from a dead stop. although most of us have plenty opf HP to take them down but getting 4100# car to speed quickly is challenging at best. not impossible but takes more skill.

road course with twists and turns is a whole other conversation.

Against a Porsche, straight line don't mean C*@p to me. A friend of mine who used to run a s/c Boxster at Hallett (a few seconds slower than my Griggs'd GT500) now has a twin turbo 911 (lightly modified) that is now turning laps a full 5 seconds faster than me!!!!!

I don't care what he runs in the quarter, that machine kicks ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Against a Porsche, straight line don't mean C*@p to me. A friend of mine who used to run a s/c Boxster at Hallett (a few seconds slower than my Griggs'd GT500) now has a twin turbo 911 (lightly modified) that is now turning laps a full 5 seconds faster than me!!!!!

I don't care what he runs in the quarter, that machine kicks ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lurk: I have both a gt 500 and a carrera non turbo. Straight away with just brawn of the Shelby the gt 500 is faster but hit any corner and see ya in the Porsche. Even at high speeds 120 plus the Porsche is much more stable it just sucks down.Different animals I am more impressed when I here of camaros and challengers being blown apart. If I could only afford one It would be the Porsche hands down But I am lucky that I can have both.

yes challenge these guys from a roll..... because from a stop the AWD imports will kill us.

Absolutely. I'm laughing as I read this b/c I ran away (briefly) from a silver 911 turbo on Thursday on my way home from work. I pulled away from a stop sign and left her in first to about 4500 RPMs, with the turbo on my tail. I actually held it there long enough for him to get into second..then nailed it, hit second and nailed it again. I got into third and hit my brakes at about 70 or so, at which point he was a few (5 - 7?) car lenghts back. Needless to say, he screamed by me shortly thereafter and kept going, but I'm certain that he was pi$$ed to be caught with his pants down. Yeah, I'm basically stock, and he could kill me in a heartbeat in a "fair" fight, especially if twisties are involved, but I paid 1/3 what he did for my car, and he's probably still cursing my black Ford...

Absolutely. I'm laughing as I read this b/c I ran away (briefly) from a silver 911 turbo on Thursday on my way home from work. I pulled away from a stop sign and left her in first to about 4500 RPMs, with the turbo on my tail. I actually held it there long enough for him to get into second..then nailed it, hit second and nailed it again. I got into third and hit my brakes at about 70 or so, at which point he was a few (5 - 7?) car lenghts back. Needless to say, he screamed by me shortly thereafter and kept going, but I'm certain that he was pi$$ed to be caught with his pants down. Yeah, I'm basically stock, and he could kill me in a heartbeat in a "fair" fight, especially if twisties are involved, but I paid 1/3 what he did for my car, and he's probably still cursing my black Ford...

SC826,

I hope your top was down! That surely would have added to the 911's embarassment. happy%20feet.gif

feels good, huh? :happy feet:

I have a client who is a Porsche fanatic. He currently owns 3, a boxter (the wife's car), an '07 911 vert w/ manual trans, and an '09 911 Turbo vert auto trans. He has owned Porsches since the late sixties, and just recently ordered the new Turbo to be delivered sometime in November. Anyway, I have taken his vert on several occasions on straights, both from a roll and a dead stop. The only difference between the stop and the roll is on knowing my car and easing the start when at a light and not being affraid to see him start to pull away. It usually does not take long for the torque to kick and allow me to pull away. So if I can pull on one then it means these cars are much better than even we sometimes give them credit for.

Y'all shouldn't think just because a car has AWD. They can out run you off the line. AWD cost HP. You can beat many just by making your car hook up, suspension, gears and tires. Ive out run many AWD cars on the street and track. Just don't try it in the rain. Nice kill. :salute:

Archived