TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Loud pop uder hard acceleration?

txlaw

Yesterday under hard acceleration when shifting to second with some wheel hop a loud pop came from the rear. No apparent damage or change in handling. Everything is stock so all noises are courtesy of Ford. Anyone else? Any ideas?

I would keep a eye on it .. but its possible its the dreaded wheel hop.

I would also take a look see underneath just to see if u can see anything that doesnt look right ... just as a precaution

dond

Yesterday under hard acceleration when shifting to second with some wheel hop a loud pop came from the rear. No apparent damage or change in handling. Everything is stock so all noises are courtesy of Ford. Anyone else? Any ideas?

Yep! Mine has done it. First time it freaked me out. I think its wheel hop.

I've had it happen twice, both times when hard shifting into 2nd. 1st time I thought it was my seat track breaking. Second time it sounded like the driveshaft hit the floorpan.

Yeah, I've heard it on mine before also,,,coming out of first into second. Not good.....Hopefully I won't hear it anymore after my new BMR upper and lower control arms get here and I install them.

Sounds like suspension bind to me caused by the Shelby's wheel hop. You're basically fully compressing your suspension components under hard acceleration causing a "pop" as they bottom out. If you don't let up while experiencing moderate to severe wheel hop, you will screw up your pinion bearing and, if the shaking is crazy enough, you can potentially break the yolk; something that is especially easy to do with the less than stellar two piece units mustangs come with.

Regards,

FordGeek (Joseph)

Archived