TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Daily Driver

BIKEBOY

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe SanDiego...but NOT Phoenix, my friend!! I'm here to tell you. I was born and raised, and ordered my '07 GT500 there and until two months ago, it was sitting in an A/C'd garage stored while I've been up in Toronto for the past year and a half.

The one worry you have in Phx, is the blistering sun on our 'cheezy' tape stripes! Unless you had a stripe delete? The other thing that NO-ONE ever considers, is that for about five months in the summer, it's NO fun to drive around with your windows up, and the A/C on!! Can't feel the power of the car....can't truly hear the exhaust the way it's meant to be heard...and you jut feel, well, 'all bound up'?! Living in AZ. is NOT all that people think it is! I live in Toronto now for a short window of time, and still have my AZ. plates on all my cars. The people up here are constantly asking me,"why on earth would you leave Phx. for this cold, snowy unforsaken place"? I always tell the same story! Nobody has any clue!

Just ask these other dudes I see posting here from AZ. If their honest, they will tell you the same thing. Now SanDiego.........Totally different story!!!! :) Just too much TRAFFIC!

I'll be honest- living in Phoenix in the summers is tough- especially when it's 115 outside. I wouldn't trade it for snow that's for sure, and what most people that aren't from here or haven't explored AZ don't realize is 75 degree weather in the summer is a short 75 minutes north of Phoenix! I spend 3 out of 4 weekends a month in the summer up in Flagstaff and enjoy the remaining 8 months of the year in Phoenix! Living in AZ, the Shelby NEVER hibernates!

Bought the 11 Shelby as a Daily Driver, but 2/3 days per week the 1985 GT Convertible gets it's turn. If it's raining or real cold (i.e. much below 40) then the GT is preferred. Not so much because of the traction issues, but if the Shelby gets wet and then dirty I can't relax until I can get it clean again.

post-29877-0-06443900-1294895061_thumb.jpg

post-29877-0-90189300-1294895176_thumb.jpg

post-29877-0-48166100-1294895189_thumb.jpg

post-29877-0-06443900-1294895061_thumb.jpg

post-29877-0-90189300-1294895176_thumb.jpg

post-29877-0-48166100-1294895189_thumb.jpg

The GT-H and the GT350-H comes out on clear weekend days only. Drive my 88 Grand Marquis, or my 89 F-350 dually

or on special clear week days I'll get out the 87 Buick GN. Its GREAT to have choices....

The GT-H and the GT350-H comes out on clear weekend days only. Drive my 88 Grand Marquis, or my 89 F-350 dually

or on special clear week days I'll get out the 87 Buick GN. Its GREAT to have choices....

It's GREAT to have that choice, for sure!!!!! :happy feet:

I have a backup DD that gets a little better gas mileage than the Shelby at times....

DSC02407.jpg

DSC02407.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I put the Xploder on E-Bay on Wednesday of this past week....It sold in one day, to the first person that came to look! :happy feet: For 'Full Pop'!!

So, now I'm on the hunt for a SuperDuty. I would like to do the older body style, as I don't care for the '10-'11 HUGE grille assy. However..........................6.2 Litre 385 HP!!!

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

I will keep everyone posted.

I'm gonna miss the old "X" ! :(

Well, I put the Xploder on E-Bay on Wednesday of this past week....It sold in one day, to the first person that came to look! :happy feet: For 'Full Pop'!!

So, now I'm on the hunt for a SuperDuty. I would like to do the older body style, as I don't care for the '10-'11 HUGE grille assy. However..........................6.2 Litre 385 HP!!!

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

I will keep everyone posted.

I'm gonna miss the old "X" ! :(

I had a '03 Super Duty XLT with the 5.4 and it was OK for daily driving. The mileage was poor and the towing / hauling capabilities at times could be a strain on the pick-up.

I now have the '11 Super Duty XLT and your right it is "GRILLY" but if you can get past that it really is a nice pick-up. I really like the 6.2 and the new transmission, very spunky and great for hauling and towing. It drives and feels like a luxury car.

I traded my 06 F350 crew cab diesel for my GT500 since I'm no longer a carpenter. So now my DD is an 89 notch with all Thunderbird Turbo Coupe guts. (4cyl, ihi turbo, T-5, 8.8, 3.73, etc.)

Photo-0093_1.jpg

Yeah now getting around in the bad weather is a bit of a pain, but not as much as rolling into the dealership twice a month for problems with the truck.

I traded my 06 F350 crew cab diesel for my GT500 since I'm no longer a carpenter. So now my DD is an 89 notch with all Thunderbird Turbo Coupe guts. (4cyl, ihi turbo, T-5, 8.8, 3.73, etc.)

Photo-0093_1.jpg

Yeah now getting around in the bad weather is a bit of a pain, but not as much as rolling into the dealership twice a month for problems with the truck.

I love the '96 COBRA scallops on the notch!!! :drool:

My daily driver IS my 2011 Shelby GT-500. I didn't buy it for an investment, I bought it to drive and enjoy. It's actually a very easy car to drive day to day with the electronics and computers. I don't plan on going hog wild with pullies and tunes as 550 hp and a factory warrantee is working pretty good for me right now. Being aware what the car is capable of once you depress the throttle more than halfway is important but in reality, it’s a better daily driver than my previous Mustangs which have always been my daily drivers. Those being a 2003 Mach 1, several different 80’s and 90’s Fox-bodied 5.0 LX Mustangs and a few from the early 70’s back when they were just “normal” cars not classics.

My first new car was a 1970 Mustang off the showroom floor. The only style Mustang over the last 40 years I’ve never owned was the Mustang II’s (1974-1978). At the time I preferred to keep driving my 1970 Mustang Fastback and another 1970 Mustang with 428-4V SCJ I also owned during the mid 70’s. I’ve always told people that when they quit building Mustangs, I’ll quit driving period. :shift:

My daily driver IS my 2011 Shelby GT-500. I didn't buy it for an investment, I bought it to drive and enjoy. It's actually a very easy car to drive day to day with the electronics and computers. I don't plan on going hog wild with pullies and tunes as 550 hp and a factory warrantee is working pretty good for me right now. Being aware what the car is capable of once you depress the throttle more than halfway is important but in reality, it’s a better daily driver than my previous Mustangs which have always been my daily drivers. Those being a 2003 Mach 1, several different 80’s and 90’s Fox-bodied 5.0 LX Mustangs and a few from the early 70’s back when they were just “normal” cars not classics.

My first new car was a 1970 Mustang off the showroom floor. The only style Mustang over the last 40 years I’ve never owned was the Mustang II’s (1974-1978). At the time I preferred to keep driving my 1970 Mustang Fastback and another 1970 Mustang with 428-4V SCJ I also owned during the mid 70’s. I’ve always told people that when they quit building Mustangs, I’ll quit driving period. :shift:

Bill, may I use that one?

I absolutely LOVE that!

I could do that one, as an epitaph as well...

ohhh lets see.

Until a few weeks ago my DD for off the paved road was a 1991 Nissan 4 banger. It is soo small I cannot strech my legs forward more than 50% of the way. It has hauled dirt and rock for six years up the hill - Terlingua event folks know the hill - to my Terlingua house for fill and rock walls and gets 30 MPG. I bought her second hand for a song and it has given good service.

On the pavement my spouse insisted on a Honda Civic HX (hurts just writing this), gets 44 MPG overall but is loud, uncomfortable, and small. I still alas am stuck with this as my paved road DD. We get hail out here and it has hail damage, deer damage, airport damage (the worst), looks bad, emabarrses me, but gets 44 and its paid for...

Just bought a 2011 F150 SC with full towing and limited slip as the new dirt road and trailer pulling truck - yea!!!!

Also, I have an old but wonderful 1978 Bronco for real rough dirt roads - lots and lots of real bad backroads we have seen.

Then for just plain head turning, my head snapping back fun the Terlingua.

i love the Fords, admire the Nissan for allowing me to fill the bed 100% or over with dirt - lord knows the weight - then haul it up rough steep dirt hills to my house for years and still be running. I hate the Honda and always have for just sheer small size and road noise, poor quality on details all kinds of parts falling off such as trim, plus it is the only one to break down before 100K twice - not major but down twice.

I remain a Ford man and have owned many with few or no complaints.

David

Bill, may I use that one?

I absolutely LOVE that!

I could do that one, as an epitaph as well...

Sure, you can't copyright the truth. B)

Don't know about your epitaph but I've already bought my tombstone. I'm hoping it will be a looooog time before the end date gets put on it. That's my '70 Mach 1 on it. :lol:

me RIP.jpg

me RIP.jpg

Sure, you can't copyright the truth. B)

Don't know about your epitaph but I've already bought my tombstone. I'm hoping it will be a looooog time before the end date gets put on it. That's my '70 Mach 1 on it. :lol:

Bill...

That is too funny! You know, I was feeling pretty weird telling the wife what song to play at my funeral just the other day. I am gonna be 50 a week from today- so I've been doin' some thinkin'!

I guess I need to work on my stone too? Eh?

btw- The song is 'One Summer Dream' by E.L.O. :)

Bill...

That is too funny! You know, I was feeling pretty weird telling the wife what song to play at my funeral just the other day. I am gonna be 50 a week from today- so I've been doin' some thinkin'!

I guess I need to work on my stone too? Eh?

btw- The song is 'One Summer Dream' by E.L.O. :)

You are thinking too much. I am 60 and have a bypass and dont even think about the here after. Looking forward to another year of scca racing with my daily driver Shelby. You only live each day once so make the most of each day. I used to have cars that i only drove on weekends and then realized how it just didnt make any sense.

You are thinking too much. I am 60 and have a bypass and dont even think about the here after. Looking forward to another year of scca racing with my daily driver Shelby. You only live each day once so make the most of each day. I used to have cars that i only drove on weekends and then realized how it just didnt make any sense.

Amen brother, you're preaching to the choir (LOL). :salute:

Turn 59 this year, did the 24-Hours of LeMons race the last two years (in a Mustang). Although I've never smoked cigarettes, I'm always reminded of what my TI's used to say in Boot Camp many years ago, "Somke'um if ya got'um", and I do only now it's the tires, not tobacco products.

:peelout:

Archived