TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Fender Stripe Install

Well after seeing numerous Shelby GT owners here on the forum with these stripes I decided to try my hand at it. Whether or not you like them...One reason I went with vinyl is I can remove them if I get tired of them. I went to my local sign shop and got some good quality 3M 6 year vinyl. He had multiple colors and I went with a red that matched the red in the "Powered by Ford" fender badge. He cut me 8 strips (in case I made some mistakes)...cost about $25. I used the wet method to apply them. A bottle with mostly water and a dap of dish oil. First I layed my blue painters tape down and I used a yard stick and a level to give me my starting mark from the center cap of the wheel up to the fender. I then went from that center mark to the small rubber bumper inside the hood which provided about the correct angle. Worked the water out slowly and then let the main area of the stripe set-up a while before tucking and cutting the ends. I then let it bake in the sun for a while to dry it and remove any bubbles. For my first attempt I think it turned out pretty decent. You just have to be patient!

dsc03855i.jpg

dsc03856b.jpg

dsc03854c.jpg

dsc03859w.jpg

dsc03861.jpg

dsc03862.jpg

dsc03859w.jpg

dsc03863b.jpg

dsc03865e.jpg

dsc03867ho.jpg

Well after seeing numerous Shelby GT owners here on the forum with these stripes I decided to try my hand at it. Whether or not you like them...One reason I went with vinyl is I can remove them if I get tired of them. I went to my local sign shop and got some good quality 3M 6 year vinyl. He had multiple colors and I went with a red that matched the red in the "Powered by Ford" fender badge. He cut me 8 strips (in case I made some mistakes)...cost about $25. I used the wet method to apply them. A bottle with mostly water and a dap of dish oil. First I layed my blue painters tape down and I used a yard stick and a level to give me my starting mark from the center cap of the wheel up to the fender. I then went from that center mark to the small rubber bumper inside the hood which provided about the correct angle. Worked the water out slowly and then let the main area of the stripe set-up a while before tucking and cutting the ends. I then let it bake in the sun for a while to dry it and remove any bubbles. For my first attempt I think it turned out pretty decent. You just have to be patient!

dsc03855i.jpg

dsc03856b.jpg

dsc03854c.jpg

dsc03859w.jpg

dsc03861.jpg

dsc03862.jpg

dsc03859w.jpg

dsc03863b.jpg

dsc03865e.jpg

dsc03867ho.jpg

Nice work !!!!!

Archived