TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The Shelby gave me a fright yesterday.

150man

I had to make a road trip yesterday- about 4 hours drive each way. I left my house at 4:30 AM and drove for three hours before making it to an interstate for the last hour's drive. I had been a real good boy up to that time trying to see how good of gas mileage I could get out of her. Anyway, when I got onto the on ramp for the interstate, I couldn't resist getting on it a bit. I pressed the gas pedal down quite a ways from low RPM in second gear, and low and behold the rear end started to head out at a 90 degree angle from my direction of travel! I immediately lifted, and the car straightened up immediately- rather rudely. I was a little sleepy from getting up so early, but that incident sure woke me up! The road surface was dry.

So, I got to thinking- was this bad behavior due to the increase in horse power from the cold air temp, (about 10 degrees F), or was it because the tires don't work so well at that temp? I've done quite a bit of maximum performance accelerations in warmer conditions, and that has never happened before.

BTW- This was the first time I've had her out for a long road trip, and I got a bit over 20mpg when driving conservatively. As I got closer to home, I started getting on it more, just having fun, passing slower traffic, and the gas mileage quickly dropped into the mid 19's.

I had to make a road trip yesterday- about 4 hours drive each way. I left my house at 4:30 AM and drove for three hours before making it to an interstate for the last hour's drive. I had been a real good boy up to that time trying to see how good of gas mileage I could get out of her. Anyway, when I got onto the on ramp for the interstate, I couldn't resist getting on it a bit. I pressed the gas pedal down quite a ways from low RPM in second gear, and low and behold the rear end started to head out at a 90 degree angle from my direction of travel! I immediately lifted, and the car straightened up immediately- rather rudely. I was a little sleepy from getting up so early, but that incident sure woke me up! The road surface was dry.

So, I got to thinking- was this bad behavior due to the increase in horse power from the cold air temp, (about 10 degrees F), or was it because the tires don't work so well at that temp? I've done quite a bit of maximum performance accelerations in warmer conditions, and that has never happened before.

BTW- This was the first time I've had her out for a long road trip, and I got a bit over 20mpg when driving conservatively. As I got closer to home, I started getting on it more, just having fun, passing slower traffic, and the gas mileage quickly dropped into the mid 19's.

150man-

I feel your pain.

i FINALLY got my car out of the garage (in the denver area) after about 5 weeks of being snowed into my neighborhood.

even though the roads were dry, the traction is terrible. like being on ice. the compund in the stock tires stiffens quite a bit at low temps. almost no grip.....

...warmer days are ahead, my friend.

Probably a bit of both.... Also, had the road been "sanded" for the ice storms? That is the case here in okc, I got real sideways on a straight level street just trying to squeeze the throttle. It had been heavily sanded.....

I couldn't resist getting on it a bit. I pressed the gas pedal down quite a ways from low RPM in second gear, and low and behold the rear end started to head out at a 90 degree angle from my direction of travel! I immediately lifted, and the car straightened up immediately- rather rudely. I

LOL :hysterical2: I would have stayed on the gas and done a little drifiting ! Why not straighten it out with some stlye?

Hey sprint! Funny you live in OKC, cause that's exactly where I went! I don't think there was sand on the road, may have been I don't know, I didn't see any. The on ramp was at the Cherokee truck stop west of OKC about 40 miles. I went to an all day meeting at the Waterford. Curiously, I found myself going out to have a look at the Shelby during every break! I live in Beaver, OK up in the panhandle.

harley- I like to drift as much as the next guy, but this rear end swing out took me totally by surprise, no warning at all! Besides that, the ground dropped off pretty quick on both sides of the ramp. Woulda been ugly if I left the pavement!!

Doc- I can't imagine how much fun you'll have this summer driving up in the mountain twisties! However, all those downgrades must take a toll on your brakes. BTW- got any favorite drives in the mountains around there? Ever been on the road between Durango and Silverton?

150 The same thing happened to me as I was bringing my GT500 home from the dealer several weeks ago. It was raining at about 35 degrees with the temperature falling. I was in a hurry to get the Shelby in the garage before the salt trucks came out. As I was getting back on the tollway from the Oasis I grabbed 3rd gear at about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. I had accelerated that much previously away from a toll booth and everything was fine. However this time, the back end went over a bump in the road and the car snapped hard right about 70-80 degrees to the right. So there I was going down the tollway about 50 mph almost sideways. I lifted off the throttle, countersteered and the Shelby straightened right out. Although the tires lost grip quickly, they also recovered quickly. Fortunately the steering is fast enough to recover quickly also. Something else that I appreciated was the side support in the seats. Although this was a very abrupt change of direction, I never felt like I was getting tossed around.

I think the bottom line is that we are stuck with the 40 degree tire warning. Unfortunately, below 40 degrees our shelby's must be tamed to some extent.

Tis true, and that is part of the reason I posted- to warn others to be very careful in cold weather. It's a different car.

500- Your's went REALLY sideways! My rear only went out couple feet or so. I think I would have had to change my underwear if mine did what yours did.

I pressed the gas pedal down quite a ways from low RPM in second gear, and low and behold the rear end started to head out at a 90 degree angle from my direction of travel! I immediately lifted, and the car straightened up immediately- rather rudely. I was a little sleepy from getting up so early, but that incident sure woke me up! The road surface was dry.

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT, GOT A T-SHIRT

Be careful these ''stock Shelby tires will not hook up on cold asphalt'', It's like black ice.

Alan

Has anyone thought about possible liability while driving your car in temps not recommended by manufacturer? This is a what if: What if you got into a bad accident and even if it was not all your fault and it was found there is a sticker on your drivers door jamb that says not recommended under 40deg f? Having worked in insurance business I already know the answer to that one

Last fall just as temps dropped under 40 found out how greasy it can be as the tires turn into rocks at lower temps!

Tis true, and that is part of the reason I posted- to warn others to be very careful in cold weather. It's a different car.

500- Your's went REALLY sideways! My rear only went out couple feet or so. I think I would have had to change my underwear if mine did what yours did.

150 It didn't go completely sideways. But it did go about 70-80 degrees. If I hadn't corrected fast enough, it probably would have gone all the way around. I've been in worse positions. Even though the car was almost sideways, it didn't feel terribly out of control. My son was riding next to me. His only comment was "nice save Dad". I have purposely spun live axle cars all the way around in the snow before. I am familiar with how it feels. I think it is something that every driver should know how to do. I remember watching Danny Sullivan spin his car completely around at Indy, doing about 200mph, and still going on to win the 500.

150 It didn't go completely sideways. But it did go about 70-80 degrees. If I hadn't corrected fast enough, it probably would have gone all the way around. I've been in worse positions. Even though the car was almost sideways, it didn't feel terribly out of control. My son was riding next to me. His only comment was "nice save Dad". I have purposely spun live axle cars all the way around in the snow before. I am familiar with how it feels. I think it is something that every driver should know how to do. I remember watching Danny Sullivan spin his car completely around at Indy, doing about 200mph, and still going on to win the 500.

I don't have snow :cry:

This is Arizona, we don't have rain either :cry:

Maybe I could pour a couple gallons of Crisco on the Cul-de-Sac :idea:

Carroll's 'chili-mix' works well :hysterical:

<edit:> chile-mix and tread-compound improver, that is... see the chile heats the .. oh, nevermind...

Um, you broke lose because you are driving a 500hp rear wheel drive car.

My car breaks lose in 2nd with less than 300whp.

..thanks for the facts, now what do they mean and what is your point in context to this discussion Chuck? If you go back and read this, I would be surprised if you did not have something to say that was a little more on target and useful, maybe???????

LOL Im just messin, obviously you know how much power your car has. I live in cold temps and I completely know what you mean. Even if the streets are clear, this cold weather makes your/my car feel like it has an extra 100hp and traction even for me is not until 4th gear haha

Its all in the tires...

LOL Im just messin, obviously you know how much power your car has. I live in cold temps and I completely know what you mean. Even if the streets are clear, this cold weather makes your/my car feel like it has an extra 100hp and traction even for me is not until 4th gear haha

Its all in the tires...

..glad to hear you're just messing around, you might want to consider putting a smilie in your post to keep it sounding a bit lighter. You are very right, cold weather is not good for performance tires at all, plus the cold air makes the supercharger run even better than normal, dangerous combination. That said, 20 degrees here in Missouri, and I'm going home early to take the shelby out, just can't go any longer without a drive :censored:

Archived