TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Terlingua at a dealer???

07GTH371

Hey guys, can you give me a no BS answer to this question....

Is it worth it to trade my SGT in on this car?

I can't afford both and I've always loved the Terlingua and wanted my wife to want it as bad as I do, that way I could have one built for her. Sadly, she isn't into it at all, so I can't even justify it that way. In the same breath, I love my SGT and all the stuff I've done to it.... as well as all the stuff I still want to do. I just need some advice from my fellow TS members. Thanks guys and gals,

Jim

Simple...........Which one has more Horse Power and Torque????????? :salute:

Hey guys, can you give me a no BS answer to this question....

Is it worth it to trade my SGT in on this car?

I can't afford both and I've always loved the Terlingua and wanted my wife to want it as bad as I do, that way I could have one built for her. Sadly, she isn't into it at all, so I can't even justify it that way. In the same breath, I love my SGT and all the stuff I've done to it.... as well as all the stuff I still want to do. I just need some advice from my fellow TS members. Thanks guys and gals,

Jim

As much as I love and adore my speedy little Bunny, I would NEVER, EVER trade or sell my sleek, incredibly fast SGT/SC to get it and I was faced with the same decision: I wanted a Terlingua-BAD! Don't trade or sell the SGT! Find another way. :yup:

Simple...........Which one has more Horse Power and Torque????????? :salute:

As much as I love and adore my speedy little Bunny, I would NEVER, EVER trade or sell my sleek, incredibly fast SGT/SC to get it and I was faced with the same decision: I wanted a Terlingua-BAD! Don't trade or sell the SGT! Find another way. :yup:

Thanks, great advice on both accounts. I love my SGT and "built" it my way. I'd want an upgraded interior on the Terlingua anyway and that would increase costs $2k. If I could only convince my wife that she needs this car I'd be in heaven... but I guess the lesson learned here is, be happy with what you have. Thanks again, I guess I'll drool from afar and wish the new owner good luck.

Jim

I called on this car today.

07TRT0012

Performance package

8.8" rear axle

3:73 gears

Had them down to 32k over the phone.

I called on this car today.

07TRT0012

Performance package

8.8" rear axle

3:73 gears

Had them down to 32k over the phone.

So.....will you pull the trigger......????????

So.....will you pull the trigger......????????

No. Guy I know asked me about it since he knows I own one.

Tried a realistic trade for the 40th and no response from them. What you you guys in the know expect for a 40th trade in on this one???

Jon

I think you could/should expect to get somewhere around $15k back in the deal.

I'm not saying you shouldn't, but what is the reasoning? Is it for you or the wife?

the last 40th I saw on ebay w/ 2600 miles... 40k buy it now, 35k top bidding after 3 listings... so if $38k is reasonable on the bunny, i would think even trade is about best you could hope for....

so i would keep the 40th personally...

I think you could/should expect to get somewhere around $15k back in the deal.

I'm not saying you shouldn't, but what is the reasoning? Is it for you or the wife?

I don't use the 40th much and when I do it is for one reason. It goes through tires pretty fast. I tought a Terlingua would be less weight but close to the same around the turns. Easier on tires & brakes plus handle the turns a little better. I haven't driven a Terlingua but have ridden on the track in one. I saw how it did and am trying to compare the two cars. I decided I could still have a track car and a driver in my wife's SGT, and have a few dollars remaining for other things the family is wanting to do.

I would rather trade and get a little less on the 40th rather than sell first then buy; sales tax among other reasons.

We'll see if anything happens.

What do you guys think that have the cars? I know a few of you have both a GT500 & Terlingua. If you had to have one only for the track, which would it be? Of course the other option is to SC the SGT but I didn't know if it would be worth doing that on a convertible.

Thanks for the input.

Jon

Well, I have driven both, own a vert GT500, and I have to say, I wouldn't miss the GT500 on the track one little bit. The Terlingua is an exceptional car, and we had other owners at a track event a couple weeks ago passing corvettes. I would say if you can get a good trade in on your 40th, it would be a great trade, and then you could SC your SGT too...have the best of both worlds!! :happy feet:

The GT500 in an amazing car, but not built for the track. All that weight on the front end means it wants to go straight, not turn. The Terlingua is SOOO much better in the twisties. On the track, you will have cars pass you on the straights, but you can pass them right back in the turns. They are a blast to drive.

Rick said he got them to $32k on the phone. That makes this hard to pass up in my opinion.

Hi Jon,

I am biased I expect as a Terlingua owner, but once you get the hang of the Terlimgua it is all they say and more. By hang I mean using the Paxton SC well. It is a higher rpm SC and if you shift well and keep it in the max boost range with the incredible handling the car flies on the turns and powers out of them.

I have occaisonally driven mine hard accelerating through turns, tight turns rated at 15 which I take at 60 while accelerating out and opened some V8 drivers eyes wide! The handling with the boost used well is the max!

VB

Hi Jon,

I am biased I expect as a Terlingua owner, but once you get the hang of the Terlimgua it is all they say and more. By hang I mean using the Paxton SC well. It is a higher rpm SC and if you shift well and keep it in the max boost range with the incredible handling the car flies on the turns and powers out of them.

I have occaisonally driven mine hard accelerating through turns, tight turns rated at 15 which I take at 60 while accelerating out and opened some V8 drivers eyes wide! The handling with the boost used well is the max!

VB

Anyone ascertained the condition of this bunny yet? 22k miles is a daily driver. The car looks dirty (engine compartment, interior) in the posted pictures. Be careful before trading something that you know for something you don't. $32k is a good price if it a a good car. for $40k you can have a low mileage one built the way you want with all the documentation.

This appears to be a real good buy for someone looking for a Terlingua. I would not sell mine for $32k, but understand people do what they need to do and this car, for that price, is the result of that thinking. I don't recall this one being at any of the Shelby events, so I guess it is one of the "lost" bunnies. I hope it goes to a good home.

Of note is the fact that it is a Vegas bunny, built right after mine, ( I have 07TRT0011). It's nicely optioned and the interior can be added for a few thousand. Again, a great buy....sad to see it on a lot.....

Anyone ascertained the condition of this bunny yet? 22k miles is a daily driver. The car looks dirty (engine compartment, interior) in the posted pictures. Be careful before trading something that you know for something you don't. $32k is a good price if it a a good car. for $40k you can have a low mileage one built the way you want with all the documentation.

22k on a 2007 is not bad at all. No telling how many miles were on it before the conversion. I would imagine that Shelby knows that however. Car was probably bought sometime in '06, so you have all of '07, 08, 09 and half of 2010 plus say 3 months in '06. That would be somewhere around 46 months. That equals about 500 miles per month. Not bad if you ask me.

The cars is dirty, but that may be the dealers fault. For all we know the G.M. or owner has been driving it. I do find it odd that there is no mention of anything Terlingua or Shelby in the discription.

What do you guys think that have the cars? I know a few of you have both a GT500 & Terlingua. If you had to have one only for the track, which would it be? Of course the other option is to SC the SGT but I didn't know if it would be worth doing that on a convertible.

Thanks for the input.

Jon

I had my Terlingua and my GT500 at Hallett in June. The transmission gave up on the Terlingua the second day on the track so I drove the GT500 the third day. I also drove the GT500 at a track event a couple weeks ago. Both cars are fun, but I enjoy the Terlingua more than the GT500on the track. My driving skills are still the weak link in my performance on the track, but I'm working on that. There are a couple more Terlingua/GT500 owners that were at the same driving events and they both are holding their own with the Terlinguas. We're all bringing the bunnies to Granbury for the GT350 event in October.

I have an 07 427 LE SuperSnake with 800 miles and a 07 SuperBee with 3,300 miles so 22,918 miles is a lifetime of miles, which could be OK if the car is otherwise perfect and recently upgraded to a T. I have not heard from anyone that can personally attest to the car's condition including the dealership btw.

Thanks for the input.

Jon

Jon,

I'm a bit of an oddity here (okay pretty much everywhere! :fool: ) as I use my cars on the track more than the road. And also in the fact that my GT500 was the first to be Griggs'd. I can say that the Terlingua, for me, is the fun car to drive around town and on the public roadways. But it just doesn't have the gut wrenching torque out of the corners for me to enjoy it fully on the track.

At Hallett, which is the track where I spend most of my time, my base model (ie: N/A) Terlingua was turning laps of 1:36 where I was only able to get a 1:39 out of a S/C Terlingua due to the rear brakes being waaayyyyyyyy too big and locking up under threshhold braking. I had to bring the car in in the middle of a session for fear that I was going to wreck my friend's car! But my Griggs GT500 with only a 2.6 pulley and CAI is turning lap times at 1:29! Now Hallett is a tight twisty little course! Miatas regularly embarrass corvettes in the lower section of the course. Not the place where you would think that a GT500 would trump a Terlingua. But with my Griggs suspension, I have not found the handling limits of the car yet; I need more HP! I'm going to try a CJ65mm throttle body next and a TVS as soon as my wallett catches up to me. I know that I can have a 1:25 in the GT500! I know it!

All of that said, the Terlingua is the more enjoyable car to drive on city streets.

That's my $.02

I do find it odd that there is no mention of anything Terlingua or Shelby in the discription.

I found that very strange also....that would be a huge selling point, so why isn't it mentioned in the write-up at all??

Reply to the previous posts..

The person who wrote up the original description and the ebay auction quit the dealership the day before I called them. Those that are left don't have a clue as to what they have. I simply told them I had the second one built and was one of the Registrar's for Shelby American without letting on what exactly the car was worth (to give someone a great deal on a Terlingua) and that I was simply calling for a friend who was interested in the car (All true!).

Archived