TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2012 GT500 - Only 10 months to go...

TX STIG

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMHO, the '12 GT500 will be superior to any GM perf car except the ZR1. Of course, only time will solve that mystery.

I can't wait to find out what exactly the '12 will offer! I have a feeling it's going to be pretty impressive. Hard to believe that when it rolls out - my car will be two years old already. Geez.

Z06 is 3150 lbs. 12 GT500 won't get it in top end or on the track. Physics.

I think physics was what Porsche said when they accused the Nissan GT-R guys of cheating somehow after Nissan first announced track times. Not that I believe Ford will invest the $ in the GT500 program to make up for any HP/weight ratio issues like Nissan did with the GT-R when they went after 911 Turbo ring times. But four wheel drive, dual clutch autos, torque vectoring diffs, traction control etc. all seem to work to minimize HP/weight ratio issues. Nissan's numbers held up and Porsche did respond eventually by adding all that stuff to the 911 Turbo.

While I enjoy the basic muscle car approach of the GT500, I hope Ford is looking at traction, transmissions, etc. in addition to just HP in future GT500s. A Z28 with the Cadillac CTS-V auto drivetrain and larger Goodyears is going kill the GT500 unless they do something about traction and shift quality. My preference is that they avoid optioning up the GT500 with luxury stuff like heated seats. I think Ghia is the name reserved for luxury Mustangs, Shelby means performance even when it comes at the cost of comfort.

The 2012 and 2013 cars will be very much like the 2011's guys. With the new CAFE standards pending, the big change is going to be 2014 and beyond.

I had lunch yesterday with a very dear friend of mine from Ford Motor Company and he had some rather interesting insight to share.

There IS a signed agreement between Shelby and Ford for the GT500 model for 2012 and 2013. I was told that the whole "Amy thing" centered around the fact that Amy wanted Mr. Shelby NOT to sign that agreement, Amy wanted the GT500 models for 2012 and beyond to be built like the GT350 program, but Mr. Shelby did not agree, and Amy wasn't "fired" per se, she really wanted to bring the GT500 "in house" and they just were not going to agree on it.

As for the design aspect, the cars of course will be S197's, with changes relative things "learned" from previous model years- Look at the '07-'09- The cars are much the same except for some mechanical changes (things like the crank dampener on the '08 for example) Don't look for "big" changes because there won't be any. The 2012 info should start coming out soon and there should be a 2012 GT500 at the 2011 Detroit Auto Show.

The big 'what if" is in regard to what is going to happen for 2014. And word is that there's a divide at Ford as to what direction go; some want a "downsized' S197 platform, and some want a total redesign. The current S197 is simply way too heavy to be able to meet the coming CAFE standards the Obama administration is proposing. I'm told the cars WILL BE REAR WHEEL DRIVE.

Forgot to add: The "changes" for 2012 will depend which way they decide to spend the funds available for the program. With the new 2014 pending, there's not a lot there right now.

Look for either a change in the rear valance/tail lights (very likely based on what they have seen in the way of customer feedback) or moderate performance changes depending on the competition. (Not as likely)

These decisions are being discussed every day and they will decide soon what direction they go for the '12 model.

Z06 is 3150 lbs. 12 GT500 won't get it in top end or on the track. Physics.

Yes, I know about physics. I was speaking of 1/8 or 1/4 mile drag racing on the 'strip. And, if the '12 model is pushing close to 600 HP, then it has a shot at running as quick as the Z06. Of course, weight, gearing, transmission options will play a factor. And, the driver will be a major factor.

On the track? I heard guys say that the '11 wasn't that far behind the Z06 on road courses. Maybe I misread their remarks? It seems the '11 model with SVTPP is very good on a road course.

It will be exicitng to see what the '12 GT500 offers.

For a 'Ford guy' you sure are always on GM's side. You never answered my question on what your 'strip times & speeds were with your '659 RWHP' mustang. With that kind of power, you should be beating Z06s (and most anything else) on a regular basis. Your car isn't that heavy.

Well, ok, you responded nicely so I'll be good too....... I really am a Ford guy, had a few mustangs, and always F150's for my DD which is what I have now. AS for GM, really only like the z06 and the Grand National from Gov't motors and that's it. Ok, I'll answer. My car even with 325's simply doesn't hook, 1st useless, 2nd.......well, not bad when the asphalt is hot and the tires are warm........car really needs DR's. I know when I hit he highway and aim it straight, 3rd gear, 4th gear, the car is an animal..............and I can drive, I've lived and still do at the quarter mile.....it's the only racing I like and have hundreds of runs under my belt, mostly in the 10's............just not this one yet........but soon. I will say I'm confident I'll be in the tens at around 130 mph+, anything less I'll be disappointed. Cheers :shift:

Well, ok, you responded nicely so I'll be good too....... I really am a Ford guy, had a few mustangs, and always F150's for my DD which is what I have now. AS for GM, really only like the z06 and the Grand National from Gov't motors and that's it. Ok, I'll answer. My car even with 325's simply doesn't hook, 1st useless, 2nd.......well, not bad when the asphalt is hot and the tires are warm........car really needs DR's. I know when I hit he highway and aim it straight, 3rd gear, 4th gear, the car is an animal..............and I can drive, I've lived and still do at the quarter mile.....it's the only racing I like and have hundreds of runs under my belt, mostly in the 10's............just not this one yet........but soon. I will say I'm confident I'll be in the tens at around 130 mph+, anything less I'll be disappointed. Cheers :shift:

Ahh, yes....then you can beat 99% of Z06s you'd meet at the digs. So why the dissing of the GT500? It doesn't make sense. As for traction issues, I understand. However, you really need to use slicks. That would solve the traction issue. I used MT slicks on all the the cobra mustangs I used to race at the 'strip. I would never consider using 'street' tires. I think if you use slicks, you'll see low 10s.

The 2012 Order Banks are visible now, and the aluminum 5.4L 4V Supercharged V8 soldiers on for the 2012 model year, despite rumors suggesting otherwise. Carry on....

What is the likelihood of a new supercharger for 2012 to increase HP to the 600 range? How much would they have to raise the price to make up for it?

The 2012 and 2013 cars will be very much like the 2011's guys. With the new CAFE standards pending, the big change is going to be 2014 and beyond.

I had lunch yesterday with a very dear friend of mine from Ford Motor Company and he had some rather interesting insight to share.

There IS a signed agreement between Shelby and Ford for the GT500 model for 2012 and 2013. I was told that the whole "Amy thing" centered around the fact that Amy wanted Mr. Shelby NOT to sign that agreement, Amy wanted the GT500 models for 2012 and beyond to be built like the GT350 program, but Mr. Shelby did not agree, and Amy wasn't "fired" per se, she really wanted to bring the GT500 "in house" and they just were not going to agree on it.

As for the design aspect, the cars of course will be S197's, with changes relative things "learned" from previous model years- Look at the '07-'09- The cars are much the same except for some mechanical changes (things like the crank dampener on the '08 for example) Don't look for "big" changes because there won't be any. The 2012 info should start coming out soon and there should be a 2012 GT500 at the 2011 Detroit Auto Show.

The big 'what if" is in regard to what is going to happen for 2014. And word is that there's a divide at Ford as to what direction go; some want a "downsized' S197 platform, and some want a total redesign. The current S197 is simply way too heavy to be able to meet the coming CAFE standards the Obama administration is proposing. I'm told the cars WILL BE REAR WHEEL DRIVE.

"in house" like the KR was :hysterical:

The 2012 Order Banks are visible now, and the aluminum 5.4L 4V Supercharged V8 soldiers on for the 2012 model year, despite rumors suggesting otherwise. Carry on....

Yes indeed there will be a 2012 GT500.

12 MY Order Bank Open Date: 11/8/10

12 MY Scheduling Begins: 12/2/10

12 MY Job #1 Date: 1/18/11

(11 MY Job Last Date: 1/14/11)

Wow Rob (Grabber), I have never seen you up this late!!!

Alex

It's 2:56am here in AZ.

The last few days I have been going to bed at 7:30 pm or so. Now it has caught up to me and I'm wide awake. This week end I slept 11 hours Sat and Sun. Since I'm working out of town, I get bored and just go to bed to kill time.

I have also been spending massive amounts of time at the gym every evening working out...sot that makes me tired.

PS:

Work starts in 2-1/2 hours anyways, so I'm downing a pot of coffee and some breakfast.

Forgot to add: The "changes" for 2012 will depend which way they decide to spend the funds available for the program. With the new 2014 pending, there's not a lot there right now.

Look for either a change in the rear valance/tail lights (very likely based on what they have seen in the way of customer feedback) or moderate performance changes depending on the competition. (Not as likely)

These decisions are being discussed every day and they will decide soon what direction they go for the '12 model.

With the z28 coming out next year I see a performance upgrade as far more likely starting with bigger rear tires and rims. I highly doubt they are going to chage the rear valence or tail lights. There was talk of the 2007 Gt500 getting the GT-R tail lights as they looked very similiar to the 67- 68 Shelby lights. In the end deemed far too expensive for the limited number produced and cost of machinery to manufature the new rear for the Shelby only. Mid cycle into the new body style I doubt it even more.

2014 Mustang is departing from the retro style and going for a new "Bold" design.... :banghead:

I hope the 2012-13 models have some solid changes. But it's a huge guessing game at this point :) The only real request I have is better traction on the current platform.

I love the look of these current crop of mustangs....as for 2014...."bold" reminds me of the "Edge" design..I hope that's not the case. I fear it's going to take on a "sinister" look somewhat like the new camaros. I hope not. But that's not for years yet.

I sure hope that they just continue to tweak the performance and amenities of 2012-2013 mustangs...I hope they don't change the body at all.

I love the look of these current crop of mustangs....as for 2014...."bold" reminds me of the "Edge" design..I hope that's not the case. I fear it's going to take on a "sinister" look somewhat like the new camaros. I hope not. But that's not for years yet.

I sure hope that they just continue to tweak the performance and amenities of 2012-2013 mustangs...I hope they don't change the body at all.

J. May's recent comments on Ford's 2014 Mustang design.

Does say the Mustang is unique in Ford's product line and the 2014 design will be a departure from the rest lines style. Follow the Autoblog links for a better article, think it links to Mustangs daily.

(Apologizies in advance if I posted this link before, I may have.)

Archived