TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2012 GT500 - Only 10 months to go...

TX STIG

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Google search showed a lot of chatter about a GT500 with the 5.0 and twin turbos.

If that's the case that should get the weight back down to around the Mustang GT level and really please the hard-core power-hungry crowd.

While at the Texas Mile I had a Ford GT owner tell me if you really want to make power you need to ditch the supercharger (aka: heat pump) and go with turbos.

This could be interesting!

Lotta changes needed to properly integrate a TT setup into a factory-quality package. I am willing to bet minor changes. After all, it JUST got the "new" engine. The chatter you were seeing is this:

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/01/2012-gt500-to-feature-500-horsepower-twin-turbo-coyote-v8-or/

Read a little further...

http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1035968_report-2012-ford-mustang-gt500-to-get-twin-turbo-road-runner-v-8

The dice were already rolled. Came up 5.4

These reports are credable, as Ford has indeed "hinted" at a Boss.

The Boss was more a road-racing vehicle than a drag vehicle if my history lessons are correct (being 24, feel free to educate me if they are not.). I bet we see something similar to the GT350 in N/A with a different "theme". Probably 20bhp more and a suspension package. Obviously I don't have an "in", but it's just a guess based on the Carol Shelby GT's that got suspension/CAI when I was working at a Ford dealership. Probably more in-depth than that though.

If it gets IRS though...yeah. Right.

Lotta changes needed to properly integrate a TT setup into a factory-quality package. I am willing to bet minor changes. After all, it JUST got the "new" engine. The chatter you were seeing is this:

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/01/2012-gt500-to-feature-500-horsepower-twin-turbo-coyote-v8-or/

Read a little further...

http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1035968_report-2012-ford-mustang-gt500-to-get-twin-turbo-road-runner-v-8

The dice were already rolled. Came up 5.4

These reports are credable, as Ford has indeed "hinted" at a Boss.

The Boss was more a road-racing vehicle than a drag vehicle if my history lessons are correct (being 24, feel free to educate me if they are not.). I bet we see something similar to the GT350 in N/A with a different "theme". Probably 20bhp more and a suspension package. Obviously I don't have an "in", but it's just a guess based on the Carol Shelby GT's that got suspension/CAI when I was working at a Ford dealership. Probably more in-depth than that though.

If it gets IRS though...yeah. Right.

That's interesting. I wonder why it's such a challenge for Ford to incorporate twin turbos. They've done it on the Powerstroke, the SHO, Nissan has it on the GT-R, and BMW has it on several models (I'm sure I'm missing many more).

What are the specs on the Boss? I'm not familiar with that one.

That's interesting. I wonder why it's such a challenge for Ford to incorporate twin turbos. They've done it on the Powerstroke, the SHO, Nissan has it on the GT-R, and BMW has it on several models (I'm sure I'm missing many more).

What are the specs on the Boss? I'm not familiar with that one.

The Boss is a turn-key racecar. I presume Ford is doing a "street" version now.

Do you know what all those vehicles also have in common? They were designed from the ground-up as turbo cars. Space in the engine-bay, insulation, exhaust routing, cost, etc.

The Boss is a turn-key racecar. I presume Ford is doing a "street" version now.

Do you know what all those vehicles also have in common? They were designed from the ground-up as turbo cars. Space in the engine-bay, insulation, exhaust routing, cost, etc.

I don't think that's true for the BMW as it's body carries over from models w/o turbos, but that may be true for the others.

Ford said that the 2011 model year for the Mustang will continue til fall of 2011. I think Ford will keep the same car for 2012(upgraded options maybe) unless the Z28 comes out faster that the current GT500. It seems Ford like to update there cars to compete with GM.

Mark

The Boss should be in the showrooms (at least the order guides will) by December. Don't expect any major changes to the 2012 500. The posted Motorauthority story is old (January 2010) and was referring about this year's (2011) GT500 not getting a TT engine because the 5.4 aluminum block. The future of a Ford TT V8 is quite good, but probably won't arrive until late 2012, early 2013 and won't be in a Mustang right away.

The Ranger pickup is going (gone?) the way of the dinosaurs, but will be replaced by an old friend that's coming back to life again.

Ford said that the 2011 model year for the Mustang will continue til fall of 2011. I think Ford will keep the same car for 2012(upgraded options maybe) unless the Z28 comes out faster that the current GT500. It seems Ford like to update there cars to compete with GM.

Mark

Then they can start with a GOOD IRS setup, some 315's out back and 275's up front and a lower stance. That right there would put the current GT500 near 1.05G and deep into the 3's for 0-60 times.

Some larger brakes wouldn't hurt.

The engine is just fine.

Then they can start with a GOOD IRS setup, some 315's out back and 275's up front and a lower stance. That right there would put the current GT500 near 1.05G and deep into the 3's for 0-60 times.

The engine is just fine.

I would be nice to get the IRS setup. It gets old seeing all the write ups on how the Mustangs have a live rear axle.

Mark

The engine is just fine.

What are your thoughts on an auto option? I wonder if the drag racers would prefer that?

Google search showed a lot of chatter about a GT500 with the 5.0 and twin turbos.

If that's the case that should get the weight back down to around the Mustang GT level and really please the hard-core power-hungry crowd.

While at the Texas Mile I had a Ford GT owner tell me if you really want to make power you need to ditch the supercharger (aka: heat pump) and go with turbos.

This could be interesting!

Maybe twin Turbo's for 50th Aniversary ? I'd be in for sure .

The Boss should be in the showrooms (at least the order guides will) by December. Don't expect any major changes to the 2012 500. The posted Motorauthority story is old (January 2010) and was referring about this year's (2011) GT500 not getting a TT engine because the 5.4 aluminum block. The future of a Ford TT V8 is quite good, but probably won't arrive until late 2012, early 2013 and won't be in a Mustang right away.

The Ranger pickup is going (gone?) the way of the dinosaurs, but will be replaced by an old friend that's coming back to life again.

bronco anyone? I thought that was replacing the exploder though.

Where is the 6.1 liter motor coming from? Does Ford have a truck motor that is 6.1 that I don't know about? Also I'm thinking with the money they have put into R&D on the plasma coating that they would continue use of it since it's already carb approved and was able to pass the gas guzzler tax at least in 2011.

Inside guy says a 6.1L supercharged motor???????????????????? At least 630 horse???????????????????

Worthless. From what I am reading here even with stock power the car is nearly impotent on the street below 3rd gear due to traction issues. Needs more suspension/tire.

What are your thoughts on an auto option? I wonder if the drag racers would prefer that?

The Z06 was never offered in Auto

The Viper was never offered in auto.

There is a standing tradition among American car manufacturers to keep the top of the line sports-car model in standard guise. This might change, but I would think it would happen above the price-point of the GT500 as we know it, most likely with F1 setup in the Z06 in the future. Could be wrong though.

There is a standing tradition among American car manufacturers to keep the top of the line sports-car model in standard guise. This might change, but I would think it would happen above the price-point of the GT500 as we know it, most likely with F1 setup in the Z06 in the future. Could be wrong though.

Good observation.

However, it seems when you get out of the American brands the higher-end rides only come in auto - or at least a so-called auto. The GT-R comes to mind with the Bugatti Veyron topping the scale.

That is done to maintain the expensive drivetrains and because those very expensive systems can you usually shift faster than a driver.

Respectfully,

Roger

Good observation.

However, it seems when you get out of the American brands the higher-end rides only come in auto - or at least a so-called auto. The GT-R comes to mind with the Bugatti Veyron topping the scale.

Z06 not offered in auto??? Was the ZR1 the auto. I thought I remember reading at least one of these in auto.

Archived