TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2012 GT500 - Only 10 months to go...

TX STIG

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Worthless. From what I am reading here even with stock power the car is nearly impotent on the street below 3rd gear due to traction issues. Needs more suspension/tire.

Are U saying this 6.1L monster is a real thought. My thoughts exactly. Would be a pain in the A@# from light to light just as the reviews say for the ZR1. I might actually try to run a ZR1 with the 11' gt 500. The GM guy would be irritated to think I would even try this and melt the tires leaving me to roll away eaisly!

Are U saying this 6.1L monster is a real thought. My thoughts exactly. Would be a pain in the A@# from light to light just as the reviews say for the ZR1. I might actually try to run a ZR1 with the 11' gt 500. The GM guy would be irritated to think I would even try this a melt the tires leaving me to roll away eaisly!

Ford does not have a 6.1L engine. They do have a 6.2L truck engine that just come out in the 2011 Super duty and I've heard that it's suppose to be in the 2011 F150 as well.

Z06 not offered in auto??? Was the ZR1 the auto. I thought I remember reading at least one of these in auto.

No auto tranny offered on the C5-C6 ZO6 and also not offered on the C4 & C6 ZR1. As far as I know only the Grand Sport can be ordered with Auto trans and has paddle shift I've heard is pretty quick with lanch control.

No auto tranny offered on the C5-C6 ZO6 and also not offered on the C4 & C6 ZR1. As far as I know only the Grand Sport can be ordered with Auto trans and has paddle shift I've heard is pretty quick with lanch control.

The paddle shift auto in the C6 (GS and regular) with the LS3 is a lot of fun. Matter of fact it outsells the manual version 2-1.

If you put an auto and slicks on one of these with a pulley, tune, torque converter, couple suspension mods and minor weight reduction (slicks/DRs on lighter wheels, front sway bar delete and alumunim driveshaft) you would have an easy 10 second car. If Ford had an auto trans that would handle the power I'd take it over the manual if dragstrip ETs were my goal.

The paddle shift auto in the C6 (GS and regular) with the LS3 is a lot of fun. Matter of fact it outsells the manual version 2-1.

If you put an auto and slicks on one of these with a pulley, tune, torque converter, couple suspension mods and minor weight reduction (slicks/DRs on lighter wheels, front sway bar delete and alumunim driveshaft) you would have an easy 10 second car. If Ford had an auto trans that would handle the power I'd take it over the manual if dragstrip ETs were my goal.

I bet the new 6A with some mods might would do. I know the Nissan automatics in the G37 and 370Z are handling 450whp TT and SC kits just fine. Not nearly the torque, but you get the idea.

Are U saying this 6.1L monster is a real thought. My thoughts exactly. Would be a pain in the A@# from light to light just as the reviews say for the ZR1. I might actually try to run a ZR1 with the 11' gt 500. The GM guy would be irritated to think I would even try this a melt the tires leaving me to roll away eaisly!

Except he has 335's out back and a world-class launch control system and would stomp you a new one unless you are running slicks or something. GM can build a suspension. Ford should take note. I wish we could get a GM drivetrain and styling with Ford's build-quality and body/small parts durability. Best of both worlds.

Except he has 335's out back and a world-class launch control system and would stomp you a new one unless you are running slicks or something. GM can build a suspension. Ford should take note. I wish we could get a GM drivetrain and styling with Ford's build-quality and body/small parts durability. Best of both worlds.

Ford had an IRS in the 03-04 Cobras and most of them got swapped out, they didnt hook that great stock. C5+ vettes hook because they have 50/50 weight distribution and weigh 1000lbs less that one of these. But when you start building a newer vette parts breakage becomes an issue at the dragstrip with the transaxle and its big money to fix it.

Honestly I'm not that thrilled with the build quality, its a nice car but its just a Mustang with a big engine really. I kind of regret my decision to buy this over a new grand sport, but this has one thing the GS doesnt - a back seat and I have two kids..

I bet the new 6A with some mods might would do. I know the Nissan automatics in the G37 and 370Z are handling 450whp TT and SC kits just fine. Not nearly the torque, but you get the idea.

I'm sure it can handle stock power levels, but some mods and some track beating who knows, I dont know a lot about those transmissions. You can swap a 4R70W in for about 4 grand, IMO if you were serious about drag racing one of these that would be the way to go.

I'm sure it can handle stock power levels, but some mods and some track beating who knows, I dont know a lot about those transmissions. You can swap a 4R70W in for about 4 grand, IMO if you were serious about drag racing one of these that would be the way to go.

Built TH400 or built C4 with a 5K stall, mini-tubbed rear-end, and some Mickey's out back and a full-cage.

Is for serious :)

Ford does not have a 6.1L engine. They do have a 6.2L truck engine that just come out in the 2011 Super duty and I've heard that it's suppose to be in the 2011 F150 as well.

The 6.2 engine actially showed up first in the F-150 Raptor and is also found in the Super Duty as well. I don't think it's aluminum, so I'm not as sure that we'll see it in any Mustangs as the big prise for the new GT500 is it's lighter weight engine. There was a test mule in Birmingham on the track running this 'Boss' engine. The engine even carried this name in the first Raptor mail out brochures, but the later version do not call it that.

As far as manual trannys, they'd better keep that option open on 'regular' Mustangs, and as said before an only option on the most potent of ponys. I think it's sad that only one type Ferrari can now be had with a manual, the new McLaren is auto only, as well as the Veyron, as well as a number of other 'supercars'. I want that third pedal, I want that involvement...and when I win that Powerball, whatever I buy it won't have a prancing horse on it or a paddle shifter in it.

[/quote

I have a buddy that has an 08' LS3 with the paddle shift in the steering wheel. He has a hard time messing with it. I assume if u are proficient with this it is hard to beat? I know when he shifted gear to gear there was an immediate neck snap (mine of course). :shift:

[/quote

I have a buddy that has an 08' LS3 with the paddle shift in the steering wheel. He has a hard time messing with it. I assume if u are proficient with this it is hard to beat? I know when he shifted gear to gear there was an immediate neck snap (mine of course). :shift:

Dont have to mess with anything if you are drag racing it, just leave it in drive and all WOT shifts are controlled by the computer and there is plenty of software to program it yourself. The paddles actually work pretty well on twisty roads as well, one you get used to what it will let you do.

If I was open tracking, autocrossing or just screwing around highway racing I'd rather have the manual, its more manly too :)

The 6.2 engine actially showed up first in the F-150 Raptor and is also found in the Super Duty as well. I don't think it's aluminum, so I'm not as sure that we'll see it in any Mustangs as the big prise for the new GT500 is it's lighter weight engine. There was a test mule in Birmingham on the track running this 'Boss' engine. The engine even carried this name in the first Raptor mail out brochures, but the later version do not call it that.

As far as manual trannys, they'd better keep that option open on 'regular' Mustangs, and as said before an only option on the most potent of ponys. I think it's sad that only one type Ferrari can now be had with a manual, the new McLaren is auto only, as well as the Veyron, as well as a number of other 'supercars'. I want that third pedal, I want that involvement...and when I win that Powerball, whatever I buy it won't have a prancing horse on it or a paddle shifter in it.

My inside guy was a painter for 34yrs! So givin that..... he may have a tendency to mistake the info giving to him. If indeed the engine is a 6.2L, what I heard was a trial of this in the stang? It would be like Dodge putting a 6...... what the hell was it? They had a V-6, 5.7L and a 6.1L in the challengers and decided to trial a 6.6 or 6.7L. If I am correct, it turned out to be just that...... a trial. Have never heard of anyone owning one of these. So will ford try something like this?????

ame='shelbynuts' date='14 July 2010 - 09:38 PM' timestamp='1279161490' post='1002690']

Dont have to mess with anything if you are drag racing it, just leave it in drive and all WOT shifts are controlled by the computer and there is plenty of software to program it yourself. The paddles actually work pretty well on twisty roads as well, one you get used to what it will let you do.

If I was open tracking, autocrossing or just screwing around highway racing I'd rather have the manual, its more manly too :)

Ya! We did nickname him GM. That's girly man for short! :hysterical3:

My inside guy was a painter for 34yrs! So givin that..... he may have a tendency to mistake the info giving to him. If indeed the engine is a 6.2L, what I heard was a trial of this in the stang? It would be like Dodge putting a 6...... what the hell was it? They had a V-6, 5.7L and a 6.1L in the challengers and decided to trial a 6.6 or 6.7L. If I am correct, it turned out to be just that...... a trial. Have never heard of anyone owning one of these. So will ford try something like this?????

They dont really have to come out with a 'new' engine, all they need is a different crankshaft or an overbore, depending on how much room is in the 5.4 block anyhow :)

I cant see them changing the 5.4 for 2012, great thing about forced induction is it takes is more boost to up the power. All they have to bolt the FRPP TVS on and I think most would be happy..

I'm not talking about a dedicated drag car, if thats the case a $50K+ 4000lb shelby certainly isnt the car to start with :)

I just mean serious about getting a good ET..

I'm jaded. The people around here are crazy about drag-racing to the point of blowing their cars up to win. 700whp S2000's (S2KFromHell), 6-800+whp 9-second civics, etc. Most street driven. Crazy stuff.

I'm jaded. The people around here are crazy about drag-racing to the point of blowing their cars up to win. 700whp S2000's (S2KFromHell), 6-800+whp 9-second civics, etc. Most street driven. Crazy stuff.

I'm kinda jaded too (look at the traction thread at my last two cars), my first 9 second street car was about 28 years ago. Things have changed quite a bit though and love the new technology, no reason you cant have a 9 second car with A/C and OD these days. I know of quite a few, my last two didnt have OD or A/C but with 3.50 gears and 28" tires it wasnt too bad on the highway,

The future Camaro z/28 will most likely have the Cadillac's CTS-V's Supercharged LSA which is quite popular with an auto because it's quicker in the 1/4 and at "the ring" I really can't see them offering a manual only and cutting off half of the buyers who prefer auto's in their Camaro's, Vette's, and CTS-V's. An auto LSA 556hp Camaro is going to be down right nasty on the streets between red light's and Ford might be forced to offer an auto option in the GT500 due to the quicker and easier to drive auto Z/28. Heck most of the video's I see of stock SS vs stock GT500 the SS is in the lead until 50ish mph then the GT500 takes the lead.

I probably would of ordered my GT500 with an auto if it was a modern day cutting edge auto that could click off consistant 0-60 in 3.2 seconds ala GTR vs 4.1 (the best reported 2011GT500 time). Sure I'd miss the 1-2 grind and loosing ground between shifts that the manual gives me but im a sucker for a quick car.

Yes AWD helps the 485hp GTR get to 60 so quick but the 490hp RWD F-430 does it in 3.1 so it is close possible.

The future Camaro z/28 will most likely have the Cadillac's CTS-V's Supercharged LSA which is quite popular with an auto because it's quicker in the 1/4 and at "the ring" I really can't see them offering a manual only and cutting off half of the buyers who prefer auto's in their Camaro's, Vette's, and CTS-V's. An auto LSA 556hp Camaro is going to be down right nasty on the streets between red light's and Ford might be forced to offer an auto option in the GT500 due to the quicker and easier to drive auto Z/28. Heck most of the video's I see of stock SS vs stock GT500 the SS is in the lead until 50ish mph then the GT500 takes the lead.

I probably would of ordered my GT500 with an auto if it was a modern day cutting edge auto that could click off consistant 0-60 in 3.2 seconds ala GTR vs 4.1 (the best reported 2011GT500 time). Sure I'd miss the 1-2 grind and loosing ground between shifts that the manual gives me but im a sucker for a quick car.

Yes AWD helps the 485hp GTR get to 60 so quick but the 490hp RWD F-430 does it in 3.1 so it is close possible.

I dunno if GM will even do the Z28 for that matter with the new CAFE crap. But if they do an auto LSA Z-28 it would be quick for sure but it will probably weigh as much as a CTS-V knowing GM, an auto in a ZR-1 would be more wicked :)

I think I'd buy a ticket on your train. I like the idea of a GT500 with a "modern" auto.

• 2 months later...

Archived