TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Traction Control

When traction control is fully enabled how much tire spin should you get? There have been two occasions now were traction control has been fully enabled and the back end has kicked out on me. Not a big deal since I am famliar with correcting in those situations but wanted to make sure that the traction control was actually working properly. Anyone else have this happen to them?

When traction control is fully enabled how much tire spin should you get? There have been two occasions now were traction control has been fully enabled and the back end has kicked out on me. Not a big deal since I am famliar with correcting in those situations but wanted to make sure that the traction control was actually working properly. Anyone else have this happen to them?

Well, I have no idea which year you have, but with the 11, TC is always off. It makes a huge difference! With TC on the car hops a bit, especially from launch.

With TC on you can be sideways in a matter of seconds. I learned this from the good folks here in the forum, TC is not your friend, at least not mine.

DISCLAIMER, my car is not a DD.

Well, I have no idea which year you have, but with the 11, TC is always off. It makes a huge difference! With TC on the car hops a bit, especially from launch.

With TC on you can be sideways in a matter of seconds. I learned this from the good folks here in the forum, TC is not your friend, at least not mine.

DISCLAIMER, my car is not a DD.

I have a 2011 with SVTPP. Are you saying with the 2011 TC is defaulted to off? I thought it was on in default mode and you had to manually turn it off.

I think THESEEKER was drinking when he wrote that. TC is always ON unless you turn it off, or if you have a tuner that was programmed to turn it off.

TC IS your friend.

TC ON (as in getting in the car and driving away w/o touching the button) will let your tires spin up to a point, and will let you get slightly sideways. The traction is controlled by the rear brakes and with nearly 500 lb/ft of torque going through the rear tires it's a significant chore to stop the spin with those pathetic rear brakes Ford puts on these cars.

I have a 2011 with SVTPP. Are you saying with the 2011 TC is defaulted to off? I thought it was on in default mode and you had to manually turn it off.

Tuch the button once you get into the car and it will indicate TC off. It is not defaulted to off and it will not, you have to disable it every time you get into the car.

I think he has it backwards.

The "default" mode (start the car, DO NOT TOUCH THE TC BUTTON) is with FULL traction control ON.

That is with Advancetrack which keeps it from spinning out in corners (i.e. stability control) AND with "anti spin" rear tire traction control armed.

To take TC off, you must either click the button (TC OFF, Advancetrack ON), double click the button (Sport Mode ON) or HOLD the button down for about 8 seconds (Traction Control OFF *AND* Advancetrack OFF). Otherwise, Traction Control is ON.

To answer the OP's question, I have a 2010 and I have had *one* occasion where I had TC "ON" (I started the car and drove off, banged 2nd) and when I banged 2nd the rear tires spun. MOST times when I bang 2nd, the TC backs the throttle plate off and there is a noticeable 'lag' in the throttle (like a dead spot JUST after you shift).

I'm almost wondering if my one occasion was because the car would not have been in closed-loop at the time mine happened. Closed-loop requires 3 parameters: EGO sensor up to operating temp and sending a valid signal, Engine Temp/ECT up to minimal operating temperature AND the internal (PCU) timer has timed out (from 15 seconds to 3 minutes, depending on ECT at start-up).

I likley didn't meet 2 of those parameters (Engine temp and PCU internal timer).

And I've never had the situation repeat itself.....

Phill

The traction is controlled by the rear brakes and with nearly 500 lb/ft of torque going through the rear tires it's a significant chore to stop the spin with those pathetic rear brakes Ford puts on these cars.

Actually, contrary to popular belief the Traction Control System uses both throttle control AND rear brakes ( NOT by backing off (retarding) timing and applying brakes like many here have reported).

The Traction Control System (TCS) is basically a Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) in reverse (quick/easy analogy).

The TCS uses the wheel speed sensors (4 channel on our cars) and notes any *difference* (i.e. "Delta") in speed between all 4 sensors.

If the rear wheel sensors show that the rear wheels are going faster than the front wheels (via their respective sensors), the PCU (or CAN if it's a CAN system) backs the throttle plate off (remember, we're "fly by wire") until the sensor speeds equalize, then reapplies throttle when they do (and repeat if necessary).

If the PCU notes a difference between Rt. Rr. and Lt. Rr. wheels, it applies the brake to the wheel that is going faster (spinning) until the speeds equalize (again, repeat if necessary).

If it were to just back off the throttle, you'd never get a car off of a patch of ice on one side. This way, when the wheel on the ice starts spinning, the brake is applied to that wheel and power is transfered to the other wheel (that has friction/traction). If *both* rear wheels are spinning, it backs the throttle off to match the speed of the front wheels (if it only applied brake, you'd never get going).

It's actually quite simple, once you learn it. Just like EFI, ABS, HEI, DIS, etc. etc. etc.

HTH,

Phill

I think THESEEKER was drinking when he wrote that. TC is always ON unless you turn it off, or if you have a tuner that was programmed to turn it off.

TC IS your friend.

TC ON (as in getting in the car and driving away w/o touching the button) will let your tires spin up to a point, and will let you get slightly sideways. The traction is controlled by the rear brakes and with nearly 500 lb/ft of torque going through the rear tires it's a significant chore to stop the spin with those pathetic rear brakes Ford puts on these cars.

TX STIG,

I have no idea who you are or what you are. As you stated, the TC is always on, I turn it off everytime I get in the car, as I stated.

Any time you wish to have a competition, whether it is with cars, motorcycles or fists just let me know. You must have an e-penis problem. In my opinion, people like you are the reason that people do not post questions in forums. Not to mention the fact that some people have a bad perception of Texans.

I may be a new poster and a new member to the forum, but you, in my estimation are a tiny brain wiper of other people’s bottoms. You may have check Monty Python for that answer.

Lastly, I never engage in a battle of witts with an unarmed person.

I have read many of your bonehead comments and I do not aprreciate your commentary or the way you represent the Great State of Texas.

The Moderators can ban me and that will be fine. In the event that I am banned, I will always know that you are a big te^d in a tiny pond.

Have a nice evening!

TX STIG,

I have no idea who you are or what you are. As you stated, the TC is always on, I turn it off everytime I get in the car, as I stated.

Any time you wish to have a competition, whether it is with cars, motorcycles or fists just let me know. You must have an e-penis problem. In my opinion, people like you are the reason that people do not post questions in forums. Not to mention the fact that some people have a bad perception of Texans.

I may be a new poster and a new member to the forum, but you, in my estimation are a tiny brain wiper of other people’s bottoms. You may have check Monty Python for that answer.

Lastly, I never engage in a battle of witts with an unarmed person.

I have read many of your bonehead comments and I do not aprreciate your commentary or the way you represent the Great State of Texas.

The Moderators can ban me and that will be fine. In the event that I am banned, I will always know that you are a big te^d in a tiny pond.

Have a nice evening!

:lurk:

No banning, no drunk posting, no small penises. These posts go south quickly when people respond to other people's post with a flair of negitivity that may not be based in malice to the poster, but reads that way because it's difficult to convey emotion when writing.

Regardless, this forum has gone south, and the best way to cool it off is to close it.

FORUM CLOSED.

Archived