TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Busted!

09KR0058

How ironic...The July 2010 issue of "Mustang Monthly" has their '67 Shelby GT500 on the cover and a story starting on page 22 which indicates that owner Jason Engel received Shelby licensing rights and met with Gary Patterson and Gary Davis earlier this year. This is starting to have a familiar ring again...

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/toc/thismonth/index.html

How ironic...The July 2010 issue of "Mustang Monthly" has their '67 Shelby GT500 on the cover and a story starting on page 22 which indicates that owner Jason Engel received Shelby licensing rights and met with Gary Patterson and Gary Davis earlier this year. This is starting to have a familiar ring again...

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/toc/thismonth/index.html

I have read all available information on what they were doing and they may have been legit. They owned the vin number cars. ( derilicts to be sure) but when rebuilding a classic mustang, what constitutes the car? For some model years, litterally every piece including the unibody are available as replacement parts for rebuilding. If I buy an old shelby, tear it down and rebuild it with mostly new parts and apply the vin to the new parts, at what point do I not have the original car? This will not be an easy court case and is a debate that has been going on for years. In many states when you title a classic car about all you really own IS a vin number. These older cars do not have VIN Plates in the modern sense, the vin is stamped in the fender. Replacement fenders have been stamped or not for many years.

Don't be so quick to condem the business. They may have truly believed they were doing legit work. And in many states may be. Don't know in OK.

I have read all available information on what they were doing and they may have been legit. They owned the vin number cars. ( derilicts to be sure) but when rebuilding a classic mustang, what constitutes the car? For some model years, litterally every piece including the unibody are available as replacement parts for rebuilding. If I buy an old shelby, tear it down and rebuild it with mostly new parts and apply the vin to the new parts, at what point do I not have the original car? This will not be an easy court case and is a debate that has been going on for years. In many states when you title a classic car about all you really own IS a vin number. These older cars do not have VIN Plates in the modern sense, the vin is stamped in the fender. Replacement fenders have been stamped or not for many years.

Don't be so quick to condem the business. They may have truly believed they were doing legit work. And in many states may be. Don't know in OK.

I know only enuf of this kind of stuff to be dangerous....know that beforehand here.

I just have to believe that the whole Carroll Shelby 'genre' if you will, has gotten out of hand. You have Carroll signing 'take-off' hoods, though be it for his great cause. He will sign just about anything! I will admit to being one of the first dashplaque recipients for my 500...only after Grabber (Lol). But, my point is, where does all this craziness stop? Somehow, Carroll should have had more legal guidance through all of this re-creation business. It seems from everything I have heard and read, that there is always some 'funny business' going on as it relates to the continuation cars. Everyone wants a piece of Mr. Shelby's renouned history, as do I, but there should have been more careful and calculated legal assistance along the way to prevent these kinds of "alleged" individuals from having crooked business practices. IMO, he (Carroll) should have just kept the business 'close to the breast' in Vegas @ the original S.A.I. Maybe that would have prevented him from having all of the legal wranglings that have gone on over the years??? I don't know for sure....it's just a thought.

Again, as always...sorry for the rant.

Hmmm, interesting. You bring up some very very good points. I guess we'll see as more info is released.

Great post. I just basically said the same thing on the other thread here on the same topic. I didn't see this one first.

My linkhttp://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/58574-here-we-go-againvin-swaping/

I know only enuf of this kind of stuff to be dangerous....know that beforehand here.

I just have to believe that the whole Carroll Shelby 'genre' if you will, has gotten out of hand. You have Carroll signing 'take-off' hoods, though be it for his great cause. He will sign just about anything! I will admit to being one of the first dashplaque recipients for my 500...only after Grabber (Lol). But, my point is, where does all this craziness stop? Somehow, Carroll should have had more legal guidance through all of this re-creation business. It seems from everything I have heard and read, that there is always some 'funny business' going on as it relates to the continuation cars. Everyone wants a piece of Mr. Shelby's renouned history, as do I, but there should have been more careful and calculated legal assistance along the way to prevent these kinds of "alleged" individuals from having crooked business practices. IMO, he (Carroll) should have just kept the business 'close to the breast' in Vegas @ the original S.A.I. Maybe that would have prevented him from having all of the legal wranglings that have gone on over the years??? I don't know for sure....it's just a thought.

Again, as always...sorry for the rant.

I just dont understand WHY they would have to SWAP VIN's. Why not start with a Car with a Clean Title that is NOT a rust bucket or basket case.

I know the owner of this business and they are legit. When the dust settles I think they will be ok........They will probably quit using the vin's off of the orig. cars and will start using Owner Applied Numbers (OAN's) here in Oklahoma. I still plan to have them paint my 68 fastback. Their work is outstanding. They have a state of the art shop in Yukon, Ok, just west of Oklahoma City.

Archived