TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SHELBY VALUE

michschi

I have 07SGT3892 with about 8,000 miles on it. This car was never bought to be my daily driver by any means, but I don't wanna be afraid to drive it. I am a car salesman, and I know more then most that these are depreciating assets. Hell everyday I sell the worst investment you can buy for the most part. I bought this car to share with my family and my son as he grows up like my dad did with his '70 Chevelle SS. We didn't get along very well but we both loved cars. Me being a FORD guy and him a Chevy guy, but we had middle ground, and that was our love for beautiful automobiles. Anyways back on topic. If this thing is kept in pristine condition but has 80,000 miles on it in 30 years gonna matter alot more then one with 30,000 or 100,000 for that matter. Or is the fact that the pervious owner of this car putting a Paxton Supercharger at a Paxton dealer instead of SAI going lead to the tanking of the value. I suppose I could always take this system off and have SHELBY do it over. How much is that gonna matter. I, like alot of you guys don't plan of leaving it completely stock either, I bought a BULLITT dash and some carbon fiber for the interior. Nothing major, but some appearence modifications. I have looked around and some of our SGTS are barely recognizable as SHELBY'S anymore, don't make anyless beautiful. It just makes it more you, and letting your personallity shine through I think is important. That being said, how much is our little personality mods going to affect the value later. I mean it's the guys out there that still have these things in the wrappers that are hurting those of us that want to drive them, and well the other guys whom drive like crazy people that crash them and total them, that help the values of those of us that still have them. I'm Sorry if I am not making sense anymore, it sounded good in my head. I want my fellow SGT drivers and owners (notice how I seperated the two) that share the same love for these cars as I do to weigh in on this!

I have absolutely no plans to sell this car ever, so should I even care!?

Thanks,

Mike

My opinion, the paxton wont help or hurt the value, having a SAI installed paxton though, would help it, but I'm not sold that the future dollars are worth the current dollars for that...

My opinion on miles, is TO HELL WITH IT! Cars are worth NOTHING to true enthusiasts just sitting, DRIVE that thing!!!! Sure, a LOW mile survivor is going to be worth more $$$ in 30 years, but so will the right mutual fund. The difference is that the SGT pays good "dividends" along the way just by enjoying it :)

My opinion, the paxton wont help or hurt the value, having a SAI installed paxton though, would help it, but I'm not sold that the future dollars are worth the current dollars for that...

My opinion on miles, is TO HELL WITH IT! Cars are worth NOTHING to true enthusiasts just sitting, DRIVE that thing!!!! Sure, a LOW mile survivor is going to be worth more $$$ in 30 years, but so will the right mutual fund. The difference is that the SGT pays good "dividends" along the way just by enjoying it :)

My thoughts exactly.

Chris

I believe the future value of a car depends more on the phantom buyer than on any deviations from "stock", You find a guy whose bell is rung by your combination of color, mods, and miles - like your bell was rung by the car when new - and you'll get the dollar you want for it. Someone who wants it for an investment is not going to be charmed by what you have done to it, and won't part with enough to suit you.

Viewing as investments performance cars produced in the numbers Shelby GT Mustangs constitute is not a worthwhile train of thought. The bubble-wrapped cars will come out of their cocoons and be jewels in someone's crown, but they are no longer performance cars: they are jewels. Might as well be platinum and diamonds in a velvet-lined case, looked at once a year and back into the vault. Meanwhile your car is just a good car you like.

You have to make a decision at some juncture: is what you love a bauble for admiring, or a performance car that is admired and used? If you can afford one or more of each, more power to you; if you have one, which is it? Maybe you can work out some kind of compromise that makes your bell keep ringing two notes. I'd like to know how...

The SGT cars, in a few years, will be worth the most with lower mileage and original parts. That's the way it always goes. Making mods are fine, but keep the original parts.

As examples, it isn't even necessary to go back to the 1960's or 1970's muscle cars to determine collector values. Look at the 2003 and 2004 Cobra terminators. The low mileage, original cars are selling for several thousand dollars more than the modified or higher mileage cars. Once the SGT's bottom out, the nice, unmodified cars will begin appreciating the quickest. Whether one agrees or not, that is just how the market goes when a car starts to gain in "collector" status.

My prediction for the future is that there will be many more low mileage GT 500's for sale than low mileage SGT's. I believe nice, unmodified SGT's will do well when their time arrives. And, since most collectors also like performance with their low mileage cars, the Shelby modified GT/SC's should do well also.

Enjoy what you have because it's just a matter of time before the "pony wars" are over again.

I didn't buy my car for a future investment. I bought it because I wanted a Shelby and wanted to enjoy it.

I have an 08SGT and so far I only have just over 6000 miles. That is by circumstance as I live and work

in Okinawa, Japan and my car is on Guam. I get to see and drive her at best 3 times a year. She would definitely

have a lot more miles on her if things were different.

I say get out there and enjoy your car with your son. Make memories he will cherish forever and in turn

Share with his children. The memories made with him will far exceed the future value of the car.

Just my 2 cents

Jessie

The SGT cars, in a few years, will be worth the most with lower mileage and original parts. That's the way it always goes. Making mods are fine, but keep the original parts.

+1

This gives you the best of both worlds: mod it now to your liking, then later restore

it back to original if the value still matters to you. Mileage will just indicate how much

you actually ENJOYED the car. That value no one can take away from you.

-Tom

If you aren't ever going to sell it, do what you want with it and enjoy it.

However....In the end result, the highest prices will be obtained on the cars w/ the lowest mileage and that are un-modified. It's always been that way, always will be.

I would suggest if it is modified, keep it 100% Shelby as much as possible, and keep the original parts. Make sure the mods add true value to the car, rather than possibly detracting from it.

Why pay for something to just let it sit and not enjoy it. Take that SGT out and enjoy it then your old timer stories will be so much interesting than " I had a Shelby, rarely drove it, boy wish I had..." time is precious and you can't get it back so live it up!!!!

I've seen a lot of speculating back and forth on the forum about current and future value of the SGT. I can tell you I bought my car for a few of reasons.

1st - it's a Shelby - born in Michigan and then upfitted in Vegas similar to the way Carroll did it 40 years ago. I like that heritage and bloodline. I always wanted a classic Shelby, but with the prices like they are this is the next best thing.

2nd - I love the 2005-09 body style. Its modern yet rertro . Best looking Mustang since 67/68 IMO.

3rd - This car is so much F___ing fun to drive! It puts a smile on my face every time I step on the gas pedal.

I bought my car brand new in 2007 - paid MSRP for it and then added $3,700 in mods at SAI right off the bat. Since then I've added a bunch of other upgrades including the interior upgrade package and new wheels, tires and brakes. I agree with others though, keep it as "Shelby" as possible. After Andrew's car was wrecked I started thinking about what I have in mine, so I got out the receipts and started totaling things up. To date, the car with all the mods I'm $54,000 in to her and that's still naturally aspirated. :yup: Do I care - well maybe a little but I don't plan on selling her any time soon. So drive her hard and let the mods keep coming. :shift: Dave

wow! 54k!

that's a big chunk of change!

It adds up quick! You have to remember that when new MSRP with the Shelby package and TTL was about $41K. Many who have puchased in the last couple of years have gotten some great deals below $30k. Heck if that would have been the case back in 2007 mine would have been factory supercharged at SAI.

I have 07SGT3892 with about 8,000 miles on it. This car was never bought to be my daily driver by any means, but I don't wanna be afraid to drive it. I am a car salesman, and I know more then most that these are depreciating assets. Hell everyday I sell the worst investment you can buy for the most part. I bought this car to share with my family and my son as he grows up like my dad did with his '70 Chevelle SS. We didn't get along very well but we both loved cars. Me being a FORD guy and him a Chevy guy, but we had middle ground, and that was our love for beautiful automobiles. Anyways back on topic. If this thing is kept in pristine condition but has 80,000 miles on it in 30 years gonna matter alot more then one with 30,000 or 100,000 for that matter. Or is the fact that the pervious owner of this car putting a Paxton Supercharger at a Paxton dealer instead of SAI going lead to the tanking of the value. I suppose I could always take this system off and have SHELBY do it over. How much is that gonna matter. I, like alot of you guys don't plan of leaving it completely stock either, I bought a BULLITT dash and some carbon fiber for the interior. Nothing major, but some appearence modifications. I have looked around and some of our SGTS are barely recognizable as SHELBY'S anymore, don't make anyless beautiful. It just makes it more you, and letting your personallity shine through I think is important. That being said, how much is our little personality mods going to affect the value later. I mean it's the guys out there that still have these things in the wrappers that are hurting those of us that want to drive them, and well the other guys whom drive like crazy people that crash them and total them, that help the values of those of us that still have them. I'm Sorry if I am not making sense anymore, it sounded good in my head. I want my fellow SGT drivers and owners (notice how I seperated the two) that share the same love for these cars as I do to weigh in on this!

I have absolutely no plans to sell this car ever, so should I even care!?

Thanks,

Mike

I would suggest you enjoy the car and drive it. With all the problems in the US today you never know what tomorrow may bring. Stock vs Modified is an age old question. I would try to buy only Shelby parts when available, save the original parts, and return the car to stock if you decide to sell. The Shelby parts, when discontinued will have real value. Just another opinion.

It adds up quick! You have to remember that when new MSRP with the Shelby package and TTL was about $41K. Many who have puchased in the last couple of years have gotten some great deals below $30k. Heck if that would have been the case back in 2007 mine would have been factory supercharged at SAI.

+1!!! This is a pretty good topic. My 07SGT was about the same. When I bought mine, I planned on driving it and enjoying it a lot more than I do. I work out of town during all the months that I am able to drive it. Since I live in western new york, my fun time in the seat of my car is limited. I haven't even put 3,000 miles on it yet. As soon as I get to a point in my life where I can enjoy it whenever I want, I will. It won't be a daily driver, but it sure the hell isn't going to sit all the time either.

Good topic, good to see all of the views. One thing we all have in common is wanting to enjoy the ride! No matter what you do to it, enjoy it! I like to keep mine as close to stock as I can. Would love to S/C mine, but I don't need the extra horses...

My '07 just turned 70k miles, last night... Still loving every single mile on it!!!

I'd say, just enjoy what you have and drive the hell out of it...

Gary

WOW! I would bet you have the most miles on an SGT of anybody on here!

When talking about prices on the current crop of premium, collectible musclecars, it's not just low miles and stock condition that get the big bucks. There's the rarity to consider.

The most expensive Shelby (Supersnake Cobra) went for something like $5 million, because it's the only one of its kind.

The 70 Chevelle SS that went for $230,000 at last month's Barrett-Jackson had a very rare engine option and had all matching numbers.

Since there was only one engine option on the SGT there are more than a few just like yours. I bet I wasn't the only one who shopped for a Mustang and tried to see if there was a way to order a bigger engine option!

So put your SGT into storage for 30 years and see. Or take it back to SAI and get all the upgrades, then put it into storage.

Personally I'd rather be driving (devaluing) mine!

Archived