TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hacked my antenna off at 17 inches today!

Mich

I did it on the Cobra and the Lightning but have not got around to the Shelby yet, but its on the list...... In the past, I just eyeballed it and got it as close to even with the roof line as i could.

Did you have to or grind down the antenna to get the ball back on, and I was curious about what appears to be wire wrapped around the antenna?

Laurence

Mich

I did it on the Cobra and the Lightning but have not got around to the Shelby yet, but its on the list...... In the past, I just eyeballed it and got it as close to even with the roof line as i could.

Did you have to or grind down the antenna to get the ball back on, and I was curious about what appears to be wire wrapped around the antenna?

Laurence

That is all I did too, was to try to have it even with the roofline. I used a hacksaw to cut it down and then I had to file it down a bit to get the ball back on. Whatever that is that looks like a wire that wraps around, gave me no trouble, It didn't look like a wire on the inside.

Haven't done this yet to my GT500, but I did this mod on my 07 GT. I believe that anything less than 14" adversely affects reception. I remember reading a thread on TMS a few years ago discussing band width, reception, etc. Yes the tip comes off and can be reused. A little gorilla glue did the trick...

That is all I did too, was to try to have it even with the roofline. I used a hacksaw to cut it down and then I had to file it down a bit to get the ball back on. Whatever that is that looks like a wire that wraps around, gave me no trouble, It didn't look like a wire on the inside.

Mazel Tov! Did you bring in a Moyle to help you clip the tip? :hysterical:

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Mazel Tov! Did you bring in a Moyle to help you clip the tip? :hysterical:

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Lucky you said it than me Hey do you remember the funny commercial with the rabbi in the car doing a snip and something with a diamond. It might have been from SNL the old team. It was funny as hell.

Caio

Anybody else cut there antennas done! I was gonna buy a shorty and then I decided if I could do this mod for free why not at least try!

cbd8dcdd.jpg

I bought an 8 inch shorty and have had no issues with radio reception. I hate the front fender antennas on these cars. Looks like 1978. Should have been a rear quarter or roof antenna.

OK, I'm curious as to how you get the little ball off of the tip and replace it after you make the cut...I've never attempted anything like this, so inquiring minds want to know...

+1, I will knock this out tomorrow if someone gives brief instructions. I am guessing it is very simple.

OK, I'm curious as to how you get the little ball off of the tip and replace it after you make the cut...I've never attempted anything like this, so inquiring minds want to know...

OK here goes. I put the ball in the end of a claw hammer. Then held the antenna in one hand the took a second hammer to hit the claw which pretty much just yanked the tip off. Careful, it will go flying. Then cut to desired length. Then you will need to file down the new end of your antenna so that it will fit back into the hole in the ball. Don't make it to small but just small enough to force it on the antenna. Then glue it on, I used superglue, and then I blasted mine quick with spraypaint. Put er back on!

Hope this helps!

Archived