TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Aluminum Flywheel

After have SA install the SGT/SC package on my car, I decided to do a few more upgrades. I had a SPEC stage 2+ clutch, with the aluminum pressure plate and aluminum flywheel (now offered at the shelby store

https://www.shelbystore.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Z27-SF463H

along with an aluminum drive shaft. After the install, we ended up with a lot of transmission noise. We pulled the tranny 2 more time and replaced the slave cylinder and the pilot bearing thinking they may be the problem. We still had noise. Today, I started doing some research and ran across this article.

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/flywheel/gear_rattle.htm

The article describes exactly what I believe my problem is. I was wondering if anyone else had this experience or had any suggestions - otherwise the aluminum flywheel is coming out.

edit - to make links work

The link doesn't work.

I had the SPEC stage 3+ clutch/aluminum flywheel and at 1100 miles I had it pulled - it was shot. I installed the Ram twin disc organic clutch with a new aluminum flywheel.

I was having both rattling issues and clutch issues with my setup. I finally took it in to a Ford dealer and had it checked.

In neutral, if you push in the clutch, does the noise go away? If it does, the noise is probably being caused by the lighter, aluminum flywheel.The noise you hear is from the tranny gears meshing which is magnified by the lighter, aluminum flywheel. The heavier, steel flywheels absorb more engine vibration than the aluminum flywheels and the noise is not as noticeable with the steel flywheels. This "off-and-on" rattle sound heard while in neutral seems to be inherent to aluminum flywheels from the research I did when I was having issues with my SPEC assembly. My clutch needing replacement is another story!

Good luck with SPEC if you call their customer service. That was an unbelievable experience for me.

After have SA install the SGT/SC package on my car, I decided to do a few more upgrades. I had a SPEC stage 2+ clutch, with the aluminum pressure plate and aluminum flywheel (now offered at the shelby store https://www.shelbystore.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Z27-SF463H) along with an aluminum drive shaft. After the install, we ended up with a lot of transmission noise. We pulled the tranny 2 more time and replaced the slave cylinder and the pilot bearing thinking they may be the problem. We still had noise. Today, I started doing some research and ran across this article. http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/flywheel/gear_rattle.htm. The article describes exactly what I believe my problem is. I was wondering if anyone else had this experience or had any suggestions - otherwise the aluminum flywheel is coming out.

Same since putting in my aluminum flywheel it rattle to hell if I step on the clutch pedal it stop all new part and dealer pulled it apart even the ttranny. Nothing still rattles in neutral only

I don't know if Mustang's have factory dual-mass flywheels, but yes the article is correct. My '06 350Z came from the factory with a 21Lbs. dual-mass flywheel. The dual mass has Marcel springs in it that allow the flywheel to absorb driveline vibration by vibrating at an opposite and equal frequency. This prevents the power pulses from reaching the tranny's internals and causing them to vibrate and rattle. When you install a lightweight single-mass flywheel, you gain WHP by decreasing the rotating mass, but you gain noise in the form of lost vibration damping. The Jim Wolf flywheel I had in my 350Z only weighed 13Lbs, but it made the tranny quite noisy at idle. This was a trade-off I was willing to accept because I drive a sportscar. You need to decide for yourself if the extra performance is worth living with the noise.

So no... there's nothing wrong with your car. This is just a side effect of the lightweight flywheel.

I've had Al flywheels in several different cars, including my SGT. None of them transmitted any additional noise after only installing a lightweight flywheel, whatever that's worth.

EDIT: I just now read that article linked to in the first post. The Mustang comes equipped with a single mass flywheel and a sprung hub clutch disc from the factory. A spec flywheel is also a single mass flywheel. A Spec Stage 2+ clutch also has a sprung hub disc - that's what the '+' denotes. I have a Stage 3+ clutch and went with a 3+ over a 3 because I didn't want my teeth jarring out of my head.

I don't know if Mustang's have factory dual-mass flywheels, but yes the article is correct. My '06 350Z came from the factory with a 21Lbs. dual-mass flywheel. The dual mass has Marcel springs in it that allow the flywheel to absorb driveline vibration by vibrating at an opposite and equal frequency. This prevents the power pulses from reaching the tranny's internals and causing them to vibrate and rattle. When you install a lightweight single-mass flywheel, you gain WHP by decreasing the rotating mass, but you gain noise in the form of lost vibration damping. The Jim Wolf flywheel I had in my 350Z only weighed 13Lbs, but it made the tranny quite noisy at idle. This was a trade-off I was willing to accept because I drive a sportscar. You need to decide for yourself if the extra performance is worth living with the noise.

So no... there's nothing wrong with your car. This is just a side effect of the lightweight flywheel.

That's for the info now, I can tell my dealership the info he said what noise that at your car that's the rocks in your head bouncing around from those damn cams!!! :headscratch::hysterical: oh I just got it !!

Archived