TEAM SHELBY FORUM

warped flywheel

I drove a new 2011 gt500 today and thought the clutch was great I want one in my 08. Most of my driving has been on freeways high speeds but little clutch abuse. 7000 miles. Would it be crazy to Drive my Shelby in some nice hot weather in stop and go traffic for awhile and see if I get the flywheel to warp so that I can get the tsb done. I have 1 year left on warranty and extended warranty for 4 more. I dont want beat the s**t out of it because I want to be able to show dealer that I did not abuse the car. My tires are still in great shape and by showing the the tread depth that is left would prove that the flywheel did not go bad by abuse. Thoughts. The new clutch is pretty sweet.

Isn't there a thread showing the specific build date ranges that the TSB would be most likely to affect?

If your build date is out of that range, I'd imagine you'd be abusing your car for no reason.

I must have a odd '08 clutch because I think the clutch action / weight is perfect. People talk of how great the 2011 clutch is, but I really can't see how my 08 feel can be improved. Only slight shudder if somebody tries to drive it that doesn't know how. I never shudder it....

I must have a odd '08 clutch because I think the clutch action / weight is perfect. People talk of how great the 2011 clutch is, but I really can't see how my 08 feel can be improved. Only slight shudder if somebody tries to drive it that doesn't know how. I never shudder it....

Mine was the same as yours until a couple weeks ago. I have had my car a little over a year and said the same thing. I have put a little over 21k on it in the past year and all of the sudden the clutch started slipping. It is in at the dealer right now getting the TSB done.

No real mods on car and don't abuse the car, but it is more or less a daily driver.

I drove a new 2011 gt500 today and thought the clutch was great I want one in my 08. Most of my driving has been on freeways high speeds but little clutch abuse. 7000 miles. Would it be crazy to Drive my Shelby in some nice hot weather in stop and go traffic for awhile and see if I get the flywheel to warp so that I can get the tsb done. I have 1 year left on warranty and extended warranty for 4 more. I dont want beat the s**t out of it because I want to be able to show dealer that I did not abuse the car. My tires are still in great shape and by showing the the tread depth that is left would prove that the flywheel did not go bad by abuse. Thoughts. The new clutch is pretty sweet.

I did not abuse my 08 either. Then one day in stop and go traffic with 3000 miles on the OD, and the clutch stuck and I grinded 2nd gear, with clutch pedal fully pressed to the floor. Hot weather has nothing to do with overheating the flywheel. Watch it carefully, because it can fail with very little abuse. But if you want it to fail, find a hill, load 4 people in the car and practice slipping the clutch with the parking brake to prevent rolling down hill. Count how many times you can engage the clutch before it fails. Make sure find a hill close to the dealer.

Mine was the same as yours until a couple weeks ago. I have had my car a little over a year and said the same thing. I have put a little over 21k on it in the past year and all of the sudden the clutch started slipping. It is in at the dealer right now getting the TSB done.

No real mods on car and don't abuse the car, but it is more or less a daily driver.

Slipping is a real different failue mode than warped flywheel. I am glad you are getting the TSB done. What concerns me, is a few other people have mentioned worn out clutches, too, at very low mileage and un or lightly modified cars.

So, not only did the cars have sticking clutches, warpling flywheels, but in addition, excessively wearing material. I am surprised Ford made this many mistakes with a single part. A clutch.

I did not abuse my 08 either. Then one day in stop and go traffic with 3000 miles on the OD, and the clutch stuck and I grinded 2nd gear, with clutch pedal fully pressed to the floor. Hot weather has nothing to do with overheating the flywheel. Watch it carefully, because it can fail with very little abuse. But if you want it to fail, find a hill, load 4 people in the car and practice slipping the clutch with the parking brake to prevent rolling down hill. Count how many times you can engage the clutch before it fails. Make sure find a hill close to the dealer.

Better yet you can do this on your own with level ground next to the Dealer of choice..........

Rev the tach to 3k rpm and dump the clutch in 3rd gear and apply the brakes.........

That should do it?????????? :hysterical:

But make sure there are no witnesses???????? :doh:

Rev the tach to 3k rpm and dump the clutch in 3rd gear and apply the brakes.........

Actually, that was one of the steps I've always used to determine a bad clutch.

Put it in 3rd gear, rev it and dump the clutch.

If the engine doesn't stall, the clutch is not sufficiant.

If it kills the engine, the clutch is good (as far as *clamping* force).

BUT, having said that, I've never tried that on a Supercharged car with 500+ HP and I don't know if that's enough HP to overpower a *good* clutch. I would think *not* though.

And if it shudders as you slip the clutch during normal driving (i.e. taking off from a stop) it's likey got hot spots on the flywheel and/or pressure plate (provided the motor mounts are good).

Phill

Better yet you can do this on your own with level ground next to the Dealer of choice..........

But make sure there are no witnesses???????? :doh:

This is exactly what I did when I warped my flywheel. Except I dumped the clutch at about 5K rpm. The first time I did it, I got an awesome smoky burnout. The second time, I ended up warping the flywheel.

Archived