TEAM SHELBY FORUM

First Drive: 2011 Shelby GT350 [Review]

Guest staff2

I hope there are a couple of those GT-350's at SAAC, I just cant wait to be the first one to whoop one of those GT350's in the 1/4 (shields up) LOL

Bring it on!

I hope there are a couple of those GT-350's at SAAC, I just cant wait to be the first one to whoop one of those GT350's in the 1/4 (shields up) LOL

GT350's vs. GT/SC vs GT500's... its gonna be a good time...I can hear the BS now in the hotel bar on Friday nite...

No clue jim. Cant get a definate answer from anyone. Hopefully before it snows here.

Just out of curiousity, there wasnt anything on the options list about chains and a snow plow was there...?? :headscratch:

Im sorry, I couldnt resist, and I know you guys are going through alot just waiting and hearing nothing.. :sos: I was just trying to break the mood here a little bit..

I will say this though.....7 MONTHS AGO, I was overwhelmed and awestruck at the car, and the way it looks.., and I still am dont get me wrong, it is one bad ass car, but these last few months have pretty much taken all the wind out of my sails as far as being " a right NOW, must have."

I feel like you buyers, and us enthusist are in a small way being treated like mushrooms :hide: ....

Maybe someday we will see, but for the time being I will just admire from a far, and let you first buyers get all the bugs shaken out.....lol :hysterical:

PS..hopefully I dont ruffle too many feathers with this post...........thanks again.....Greg

Just out of curiousity, there wasnt anything on the options list about chains and a snow plow was there...?? :headscratch:

Im sorry, I couldnt resist, and I know you guys are going through alot just waiting and hearing nothing.. :sos: I was just trying to break the mood here a little bit..

I will say this though.....7 MONTHS AGO, I was overwhelmed and awestruck at the car, and the way it looks.., and I still am dont get me wrong, it is one bad ass car, but these last few months have pretty much taken all the wind out of my sails as far as being " a right NOW, must have."

I feel like you buyers, and us enthusist are in a small way being treated like mushrooms :hide: ....

Maybe someday we will see, but for the time being I will just admire from a far, and let you first buyers get all the bugs shaken out.....lol :hysterical:

PS..hopefully I dont ruffle too many feathers with this post...........thanks again.....Greg

There is no trailer hitch for your bass boat either.

I think we should take up a collection and fly one of us to LV for the day to take some pictures and post them on the forum. It would have to be someone who could jump a Southwest flight and be there in less than an hour. Maybe someone who took a bunch of pictures at the Bash and posted those on the Forum. Someone with a totally flexible schedule. Someone who wouldn't mind sacrificing their day for the good of the team!....:idea:

Okay, okay I'll do it! :stirpot:

John

Send money, I will be in LV 7/19. Stay tuned......

It's nice to see that the new car is getting some much need tweaks. I still get a chuckle though when I look at it- I mean, how many times does the car need to say GT350?..... lol.

Anyway, overall the car looks great. I only have two huge problems with it: 1) the lemans stripes need to run the ENTIRE length of the car, including the splitter (unless it were plain plastic or black), and 2) get rid of the ducktail spoiler. If you're target was the original 65-66 cars, than that has to go. Here's what it looks like to me.

It was ugly on the old car and it still is on the newer GT350.

65-mustang-race-cars-1.jpg

65-mustang-race-cars-3.jpg

It's nice to see that the new car is getting some much need tweaks. I still get a chuckle though when I look at it- I mean, how many times does the car need to say GT350?..... lol.

Anyway, overall the car looks great. I only have two huge problems with it: 1) the lemans stripes need to run the ENTIRE length of the car, including the splitter (unless it were plain plastic or black), and 2) get rid of the ducktail spoiler. If you're target was the original 65-66 cars, than that has to go. Here's what it looks like to me.

It was ugly on the old car and it still is on the newer GT350.

65-mustang-race-cars-1.jpg

65-mustang-race-cars-3.jpg

:headscratch:

Whose GT350 do I get to smoke on the road course at SAAC anyway? You bring the money, I'll bring the video camera. :shift:

The spoiler looks good on this car IMO. And personally, I rarely like spoilers on anything, especially Mustangs.

The new GT350 has grown on me a lot the past couple months, but I'm still not mortgaging the kids' future for one...not yet anyway. Does anyone have a blower on these motors yet? What's the verdict on max power and/or safe boost levels?

I'm very glad to see the running horse up front - the original grill emblem was absolutely terrible. Same goes for the fender emblems. The PBF badges will look perfect. But coming from an SGT, why wouldn't they? :lol:

The rear end of this machine looks about as tough as it gets. I'm still not a huge fan of how the entire front end/hood of the car shaped up though, but maybe my opinion of that will change in person. But in the end, who cares about the little stuff? I'm just happy that Shelby is still selling cars in the worst economy of my lifetime and that there's a NEW GT350 for all of us to pick apart bolt by badge by stripe!

Whose GT350 do I get to smoke on the road course at SAAC anyway? You bring the money, I'll bring the video camera. :shift:

The spoiler looks good on this car IMO. And personally, I rarely like spoilers on anything, especially Mustangs.

The new GT350 has grown on me a lot the past couple months, but I'm still not mortgaging the kids' future for one...not yet anyway. Does anyone have a blower on these motors yet? What's the verdict on max power and/or safe boost levels?

I'm very glad to see the running horse up front - the original grill emblem was absolutely terrible. Same goes for the fender emblems. The PBF badges will look perfect. But coming from an SGT, why wouldn't they? :lol:

The rear end of this machine looks about as tough as it gets. I'm still not a huge fan of how the entire front end/hood of the car shaped up though, but maybe my opinion of that will change in person. But in the end, who cares about the little stuff? I'm just happy that Shelby is still selling cars in the worst economy of my lifetime and that there's a NEW GT350 for all of us to pick apart bolt by badge by stripe!

"Whose GT350 do I get to smoke on the road course at SAAC anyway? You bring the money, I'll bring the video camera. :shift:"

Obviously, you have not met Gary Patterson yet. I will pay money to see this match race!dance.gif

Shelby has been running the FRPP blower on the car since December 2009. FRPP has run a complete battery of Rel/Qual tests including four hours at WOT, at 12000 feet and 130 degree ambient temp. The FRPP kit will be released to the general public early August, pending regulatory agency bureaucracy. They are waiting for an EO exemption for the kit. This is standard operating procedure for aftermarket parts.

Oh, BTW, did you see the track videos from Mid America? It looked to me like the GT350 hauled the mail!

I will give you a ride a soon as I get mine.

MM

Kahmann,

First off by no means am I putting your car or any Shelby GT down, in fact it is one of my personal favorites, however I think the real test would be a stock Shelby GT vs. a stock GT 350. Not knowing anything about your car it does look like you've put in some serious time and money into engine and suspension so I'm sure you could at least keep up with the GT 350. Also it depends on the driver as well. Put a novice in your car and Gary Patterson in the GT 350 and I'm sure he would stomp your car.

Second the 350 is one serious looking car, especially in person, that is primed and ready to go to the track and do its ancestor proud and I hope upon hope that most of the owners will do exactly that.

I'm game for a road course battle. Bring whatever you like to the glen vir nj or summit point and I'll play. All in good fun my brother.

"Whose GT350 do I get to smoke on the road course at SAAC anyway? You bring the money, I'll bring the video camera. :shift:"

Obviously, you have not met Gary Patterson yet. I will pay money to see this match race!dance.gif

Shelby has been running the FRPP blower on the car since December 2009. FRPP has run a complete battery of Rel/Qual tests including four hours at WOT, at 12000 feet and 130 degree ambient temp. The FRPP kit will be released to the general public early August, pending regulatory agency bureaucracy. They are waiting for an EO exemption for the kit. This is standard operating procedure for aftermarket parts.

Oh, BTW, did you see the track videos from Mid America? It looked to me like the GT350 hauled the mail!

I will give you a ride a soon as I get mine.

MM

Gary who? ;)

I'll have to look up the MidAmerica clips. I haven't seen those yet. I'm happy to hear that FRPP is moving right along with their testing. The 5.0 is beastly enough NA, but with a suitable blower strapped to the valley, it ought to be a blur.

Can't wait to see your car Mike!

Kahmann,

First off by no means am I putting your car or any Shelby GT down, in fact it is one of my personal favorites, however I think the real test would be a stock Shelby GT vs. a stock GT 350. Not knowing anything about your car it does look like you've put in some serious time and money into engine and suspension so I'm sure you could at least keep up with the GT 350. Also it depends on the driver as well. Put a novice in your car and Gary Patterson in the GT 350 and I'm sure he would stomp your car.

Second the 350 is one serious looking car, especially in person, that is primed and ready to go to the track and do its ancestor proud and I hope upon hope that most of the owners will do exactly that.

Put a novice in a fully race prepped car and an expert in a Mini and the Cooper will walk all over the race car on a tight enough road course. I'm not sure what your analogy was supposed to prove. slapfight.gif

Regardless, as far as production cars go, the new 5.0 is a hell of a fine platform for Shelby to work with, quite easily the meanest of all time honestly. Stock for stock, nothing else with a running horse or Cobra attached to it will touch it, I'm sure.

What do you qualify as a 'stock GT350', SC or NA? On second thought, it doesn't matter, a stock SGT won't stand a chance either way. But my car is about as far from a stock SGT as you can get. It will push 700 rwhp once the tune is dialed in. That coupled with a Griggs coil-over suspension, DOT comp tires, and probably the baddest driver this side of the Mississippi ought to be plenty enough to 'at least keep up with the GT350', I'm sure. Hopefully you can tell I like to rile up the guys around here that have more money than me. ;)

I'm game for a road course battle. Bring whatever you like to the glen vir nj or summit point and I'll play. All in good fun my brother.

Sorry, I don't race in the snow. Bring it out west and we'll put them to the test any day of the year. But the gas for my victory lap is on you!:shift:

Or if you still intend to come to Texas later this year, I think you can get a real feel for what you want to see out of the matchup...just sayin. :happy feet:

Man I really hope I can make it - it's one of the few western states I have yet to see and I've been dreaming of Terlingua since the first event!

Mr Ahmann

Tossing the gauntlet around here does seem to inspire response.

I am really looking forward to continuing this banter at SAAC 35. Can't wait to see your ride running again.

One last note on supercharging. With all the negativity on a blown Coyote, both here and other forums, I find it curious that Jim Bell and others have been supercharging high compression late model GM engines for years without catastrophic failures. Look at the abundance of current gen Camaro tuners, Callaway, Hennesy, et al, boosting an inferior power plant without issue.

As FRPP says - the tune is the thing.

Sorry, I don't race in the snow. Bring it out west and we'll put them to the test any day of the year. But the gas for my victory lap is on you!:shift:

Man I really hope I can make it - it's one of the few western states I have yet to see and I've been dreaming of Terlingua since the first event!

don't know what your missing not racing in snow/sleet. :drool: it's good fun and really teaches car control and yielding the most from your contact patch and the friction circle.

i'd love to run infineon or laguna seca so how about i cover the consumables and entry fees for a day and you could show me the line AND we could share your car. :dance: Or, I guess I could rent a kia or something at the airport and see how I make out.

don't know what your missing not racing in snow/sleet. :drool: it's good fun and really teaches car control and yielding the most from your contact patch and the friction circle.

i'd love to run infineon or laguna seca so how about i cover the consumables and entry fees for a day and you could show me the line AND we could share your car. :dance: Or, I guess I could rent a kia or something at the airport and see how I make out.

Tony / Ken:

I got it - both of you bring your cars to the 2011 Bash in January and we can settle this cool.gif

Michael

Tony / Ken:

I got it - both of you bring your cars to the 2011 Bash in January and we can settle this cool.gif

Michael

I think the sports book at the Aliante is covering this already....

Mr Ahmann

Tossing the gauntlet around here does seem to inspire response.

I am really looking forward to continuing this banter at SAAC 35. Can't wait to see your ride running again.

One last note on supercharging. With all the negativity on a blown Coyote, both here and other forums, I find it curious that Jim Bell and others have been supercharging high compression late model GM engines for years without catastrophic failures. Look at the abundance of current gen Camaro tuners, Callaway, Hennesy, et al, boosting an inferior power plant without issue.

As FRPP says - the tune is the thing.

This is a damn good point actually and I'm surprised no one has mentioned it till now (well not that I've seen anyway).

I've got no doubt that the Coyote can be boosted safely. I'm just really curious to see how many pounds it'll tolerate. All in due time I guess.

Hey man that's an offer I could never refuse, honestly. Anytime you can head west, drop me a line and we'll hit the track.

We can make the full tour of the Nor-Cal trio, Laguna Seca/Infineon/Thunderhill, if you're up for it! :shift:

Well now I can give my $.02.

Yesterday I watched and helped Sam unload the car from the trailer. Upon starting the car the burbling exhaust note was an instant draw. As Sam lowered it down, while watching the expression of peoples faces, was priceless. I thought it was pretty damn cool myself. The biggest problem I had with the car was, how dirty it was. So Robert and myself attacked it with some detail sauce and cleaned it up. Sherri was in charge of keeping a list of people that wanted to go for a ride on the track, so of course I was at the top, because I cleaned it. Steve, president of MCA/driver said, grab a helmet and lets go. Who was I to say no. My back had been bothering me for 2 days previous, Steve fixed that upon entering the track. Snapped my neck back and off we went. First corner I thought we were going off the track, or the wheels were going to break off the car. But they didn't and through the corner we went. The car and tires were impressive to say the least, as well as Steve's driving ability to find the line.

The car is a handling machine and this was without the watts link. It was quite stable, you can break late and accelerate early. The biggest problem I had with the car was trying to watch the speedo and the tach while trying to pin myself in the seat. LOL Harnesses are a must!! Overall, I was quite impressed, I'll never forget the ride.

Thank you Steve, I'll be talking about this experience for quite a while.

Oh, on a side note we have a club member who owns a PJ 302, who's interested in buying a 350 soooooooo, how else could I help Roger sell another car.......I said Hey Steve take this guy out for a ride, he's a potential buyer. He needs the mac daddy ride. Upon exiting the car he said, I'm buying one of these. He must of went back to look at the car 5 or 6 times. Sale is pending on the sale of his '65, which will be the down payment on the 350.

In closing I think you guys that have committed to the 350 are in the process of purchasing a track monster, which can also double as a docile street car. Racing slicks, roll bar ,harnesses and you're good to go. Oh ya, some driving skills probably wouldn't hurt either. You guys are going to love these cars. I know I do.

Well now I can give my $.02.

Yesterday I watched and helped Sam unload the car from the trailer. Upon starting the car the burbling exhaust note was an instant draw. As Sam lowered it down, while watching the expression of peoples faces, was priceless. I thought it was pretty damn cool myself. The biggest problem I had with the car was, how dirty it was. So Robert and myself attacked it with some detail sauce and cleaned it up. Sherri was in charge of keeping a list of people that wanted to go for a ride on the track, so of course I was at the top, because I cleaned it. Steve, president of MCA/driver said, grab a helmet and lets go. Who was I to say no. My back had been bothering me for 2 days previous, Steve fixed that upon entering the track. Snapped my neck back and off we went. First corner I thought we were going off the track, or the wheels were going to break off the car. But they didn't and through the corner we went. The car and tires were impressive to say the least, as well as Steve's driving ability to find the line.

The car is a handling machine and this was without the watts link. It was quite stable, you can break late and accelerate early. The biggest problem I had with the car was trying to watch the speedo and the tach while trying to pin myself in the seat. LOL Harnesses are a must!! Overall, I was quite impressed, I'll never forget the ride.

Thank you Steve, I'll be talking about this experience for quite a while.

Oh, on a side note we have a club member who owns a PJ 302, who's interested in buying a 350 soooooooo, how else could I help Roger sell another car.......I said Hey Steve take this guy out for a ride, he's a potential buyer. He needs the mac daddy ride. Upon exiting the car he said, I'm buying one of these. He must of went back to look at the car 5 or 6 times. Sale is pending on the sale of his '65, which will be the down payment on the 350.

In closing I think you guys that have committed to the 350 are in the process of purchasing a track monster, which can also double as a docile street car. Racing slicks, roll bar ,harnesses and you're good to go. Oh ya, some driving skills probably wouldn't hurt either. You guys are going to love these cars. I know I do.

I will add my impressions of the 350 also from last thursday's track day; I ran my SS in the advanced sessions when Steve was driving the GT350 . My SS is set up with BFG G-Force comp tires and a watts link. I can tell you the GT350 is no slouch. I could not really pull away down the main striaght and Steve was all over my a$$ through most all the corners. He could have passed easily if it was allowed. When Steve was driving the 2010 SS that Shelby brought, we were comparable or I may have been sleightly faster since it was on Pirelli's .The GT350 is very fast and looks to be very good handling as well. I just wish John Luft would had come to the track so I could have begged him to let me drive it.

Archived