TEAM SHELBY FORUM

First Drive: 2011 Shelby GT350 [Review]

Guest staff2

Guest staff2

First Drive: 2011 Shelby GT350 [Review]

What’s old is new again – or so the saying goes.

Such is the case with Shelby American’s “reborn” GT350.

Times have changed quite a bit since the original GT350 was launched all the way back in 1965 as a response to Carroll Shelby’s assertion that the stock Mustang was a “secretary’s car” not suitable for high performance driving. Now, the secretarial-specification Mustang V6 offers 305 horsepower and can sprint to 60 mph faster than all but the most fire-breathing muscle cars of the ’60s.

A new era, indeed.

Reborn – but not in the same vein

The original GT350, as those who have had the pleasure (some might say the displeasureLeftlane sampled will lose their unsightly seam lines for production models, but the inset grille and classy flat black tail lamp surrounds will stay. Don’t let the early press photos fool you; the GT350 is actually a substantial improvement over the standard Mustang in many ways, especially in the simple yet aggressive tail that sports a pair of center-mounted Borla exhaust pipes. Production GT350s will be delivered with the plastic triangle-shaped rear window covers in their trunks to allow buyers to make their own decision whether to use them. We like the idea, but the execution looks a little too aftermarket for the otherwise pleasingly high quality, factory-feeling GT350.

We’re anxious to see final production models, which promise to have a better integrated body kit and revised badging, as well as Shelby-branded Cragar wheels.

READ MORE HERE

At the risk of starting a range war, if these things do not come with blue stripes all the way down the rear, they will look unfinished to put it mildly. Mr. Farmdog will have a project right there if they leave the stripes off.

Fire away!

Jim

Stripes can go all the way down the rear if you choose to have the stripes painted. You can also choose to have the gt350 on the hood skipped and just go solid if you have the stripes painted.

I agree with you guys on both accounts and I will have my car made with full stripes and the gt350 delete on the hood.

Stripes can go all the way down the rear if you choose to have the stripes painted. You can also choose to have the gt350 on the hood skipped and just go solid if you have the stripes painted.

I agree with you guys on both accounts and I will have my car made with full stripes and the gt350 delete on the hood.

Sure will enjoy seeing your car when it is completed. Any ETA on it?

Jim

Great minds think alike! We're doing the exact same thing. The thought of not having the stripes all the way down was just not going to happen. And the 350 on the hood was just too much.

John

At the risk of starting a range war, if these things do not come with blue stripes all the way down the rear, they will look unfinished to put it mildly. Mr. Farmdog will have a project right there if they leave the stripes off.

Fire away!

Jim

Jimbo,

I have my 50 Cal Hawkins aimed in the San Diego direction right now....... to each his own taste as the lady said when she kissed the cow.

I am keeping mine true to the Larry Woods design ( as I have owned thousands of his cars ), GT350 on the hood, stripes end at the trunk.

You will get to love it as you follow me around the track dance.gif

Michael

I went with the straight hood stripes, no hood badging, and stripes all the way down.

Springer,

Yes, the production cars wil have the running pony emblem the original 350s had in the grill, and the side badging emblem is a straight plaque that says Shelby only if that is the final design.

MUCH better, and exactly what I had hoped and requested on all counts. I would like more updates on general progress for the program, but I gotta say, I am VERY happy with how the final design is panning out for our production cars... :happy feet:

Jimbo,

I have my 50 Cal Hawkins aimed in the San Diego direction right now....... to each his own taste as the lady said when she kissed the cow.

I am keeping mine true to the Larry Woods design ( as I have owned thousands of his cars ), GT350 on the hood, stripes end at the trunk.

You will get to love it as you follow me around the track dance.gif

Michael

Michael,

Hope your summer is progressing well. I can always count on you to bust my chops but you will have to aim that 50 Cal. at more than just me (see the posts above). I am only the messenger. :hysterical: In the end, it will just be nice to see some of these production cars when they hit the streets. Maybe we can put a fully striped (you would say over striped) one next to an under striped (you would say appropriately striped) one.

Jim

The first picture shows the hood does not fit correctly on the passenger side , but ok on the drivers side. This reminds me of my old 70 Mach 1 which had the worst panel fit in the world. I understand this car looks much better in person cause the pictures make it look HEAVY. The rear bumper looks hugh in white.

BREAKING NEWS - The front fender badges are going to be Powered by Ford ala Shelby GT!!

I think this is historically appropriate, works well with the running pony grille badge

BREAKING NEWS - The front fender badges are going to be Powered by Ford ala Shelby GT!!

I think this is historically appropriate, works well with the running pony grille badge

That would be a good thing...Now all they need to get rid of is the S H E L B Y lettering on the rear end and place a simple GT350 badge to the right of the faux gas cap and the car will be complete!

Also, as I understand it and under consideration, the splitter is going to be black and easily replaceable, and inexpensive, so in case of a ding it can be popped off and a new one put on. This would be the very bottom portion.

John

Thank you Roger!!

It has been on my mind since mid June, but I can now discuss this openly, when I was out at Mid-America, both the GT350s had a little bit of chipping and damage on the front splitters...

All I could think about after seeing that is how am I gonna keep from damaging my car? This is a HUGE relief. (I heard the Ford guys did not take great care of the GT350SC when they had it last) Typical!

So, just to recap:

You went with the emblems we wanted on the grill and sides,

You are offering it in both SC and NA

You are allowing the hood branding to be straight striping and deleting the GT350 there if wanted

You are painting the rear fascia striping all the way down for us if wanted

and now we will not have to worry about replacing the whole front fascia for some driveway rub or curb breakage...(or loading on trailer damage)

I cant think of a single complaint anyone had when SA did the reveal at BJ in January that hasnt been addressed and changed to our overall desire? :headscratch:

Nope, you addressed it all. Thanks for taking care of us!! :happy feet:

I can't believe the car still has exposed screws for the reverse lights. I thought the body kit was going to be cleaned up and brought to the same level as Roush and Saleen? Shouldn't these guys have a final build in hand by now? Put a 2011 Saleen S302 next to a GT350 and the body kits are a night and day difference. I would expect much better from a premium Mustang.

Thank you Roger!!

It has been on my mind since mid June, but I can now discuss this openly, when I was out at Mid-America, both the GT350s had a little bit of chipping and damage on the front splitters...

All I could think about after seeing that is how am I gonna keep from damaging my car? This is a HUGE relief. (I heard the Ford guys did not take great care of the GT350SC when they had it last) Typical!

So, just to recap:

You went with the emblems we wanted on the grill and sides,

You are offering it in both SC and NA

You are allowing the hood branding to be straight striping and deleting the GT350 there if wanted

You are painting the rear fascia striping all the way down for us if wanted

and now we will not have to worry about replacing the whole front fascia for some driveway rub or curb breakage...(or loading on trailer damage)

I cant think of a single complaint anyone had when SA did the reveal at BJ in January that hasnt been addressed and changed to our overall desire? :headscratch:

Nope, you addressed it all. Thanks for taking care of us!! :happy feet:

I have one. Final answer on the engine tag location.

oh yeah....

Question-

Im not trying to belittle the importance, but I guess its kind of an afterthought to me....does it really matter where it goes? :headscratch:

Yes!

Every Shelby I've ever seen has the tag riveted to metal somewhere in the engine compartment. The current GT350 had the tag attached to the plastic radiator cover. The tag would be removed from the car anytime the radiator cover was taken off.

Awesome, thanks Roger!

Any general news on the builds that you can share?

I think we should take up a collection and fly one of us to LV for the day to take some pictures and post them on the forum. It would have to be someone who could jump a Southwest flight and be there in less than an hour. Maybe someone who took a bunch of pictures at the Bash and posted those on the Forum. Someone with a totally flexible schedule. Someone who wouldn't mind sacrificing their day for the good of the team!....:idea:

Okay, okay I'll do it! :stirpot:

John

Archived