TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Saying Goodbye...

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was thinking he's have big time regrets in a month. It's not too late to trade that Z on an 2011 GT500.

LOL...I think OTP has more 'issues' than he's letting on. Didn't he say he's had 45 vehicles? IMHO, he just get's 'itchy' after a while and just has to drive something different. My brother is a lot like that. No matter how well he likes a car, he always seems to trade it off on something else. In other words, he's never satisfied with what he has. I just don't buy all the 'excuses' he gave for trading a GT500 on a Z. It's just unsound reasoning.

LOL...I think OTP has more 'issues' than he's letting on. Didn't he say he's had 45 vehicles? IMHO, he just get's 'itchy' after a while and just has to drive something different. My brother is a lot like that. No matter how well he likes a car, he always seems to trade it off on something else. In other words, he's never satisfied with what he has. I just don't buy all the 'excuses' he gave for trading a GT500 on a Z. It's just unsound reasoning.

I've probably had more than 45 new cars, (been driving since 1978) many more used. Dont think its an issue, I just like to try everything, especially the newest automotive technology. Sure its costs money but so does everything else, if the OP couldnt afford it he certainly wouldnt be doing it.

I dunno, looks like a loaded up 370 is around 40K, if he had the GT500 for a while it was a pretty easy way to unload it and try something else, I wouldnt agree with the choice cars since I am no fan of Nissans but if everyone agreed on cars it would be a pretty boring highway..

Andy, with 45 cars in your life (so far), as well as these recient changes with your truck and the Shelby, do you think that you might have ADHD? :headscratch:

I'm a little late getting to this side topic but basically I had an epiphany the other day. I was doing the same thing, afraid to leave my car in parkades...constantly worrying about it when it's parked in my secured underground parking at work. It was to the point of where I stopped driving it to work because I was too worried something was going to happen to it. Mind you I've only had the car a month so some of it is just the over protectiveness of owning the car. You are right it's no way to live. So I opened my eyes and looked around my parkade, it's full of mercedes, bimmers and porsches that are parked there daily including a mercedes SLS. What are those worth 250k? I'm not even sure. Then I stop by the grocery store after work and guess what's parked there every day, all day with the top down Ferrari F430, I even snapped a picture of it that I'll attach below. Drive the car man. We have insurance for a reason. I know I turned over a new leaf...not going to worry about rock chips and parking it, just going to drive it and have fun. I had a 07 GT for 3 years, went everywhere with it...it was immaculate after 3 years. Not going to worry about it anymore.

Great post...funny how a few of us are having the same thoughts.

I've gotten worse with it for me as time has gone by. As I mentioned elsewhere...I've gone to the point where I've installed cameras running to a video recorder to watch my car at night.

Very true about the parking lots and such..I see those high priced cars there too...and the way I thought about that was that those people are so filthy rich...that if something happens to it..they'll just buy another one...really no big deal to them.

But trust me, I'm trying to change my thinking and just let it go and have fun...but it definitely takes some work to get to that point.

Thanks again for the post.

I think OTP has more 'issues' than he's letting on. Didn't he say he's had 45 vehicles? IMHO, he just get's 'itchy' after a while and just has to drive something different.

That's what I was thinking too....Most people on here have a real attachment to the car and keep them for long periods of time. To each their own though.

I've gotten worse with it for me as time has gone by. As I mentioned elsewhere...I've gone to the point where I've installed cameras running to a video recorder to watch my car at night.

Very true about the parking lots and such..I see those high priced cars there too...and the way I thought about that was that those people are so filthy rich...that if something happens to it..they'll just buy another one...really no big deal to them.

And guys that buy and sell a lot of cars have 'issues' lol.

Its not that people are filthy rich and they can buy another car if one gets damaged, its just most people buy a car to drive. And unfortunately if you drive it you will have to go to work, malls, gas stations, nail salon etc, Myself I'm more afraid of a ford dealer tech getting a hold of my car than an old lady with a 78 t-bird parking 2" away from me in a piggly wiggly parking lot - but thats just me :)

I think you could be on to something.

man, if evrytime you trade a new car you take a an 8-10K hit, we're talking almost 400K in depreciation--thats alot of cars

Used to be a time when you could trade a couple cars every year and not loose your ass, maybe 1000.00, and if you got a great deal a lot of times you could break close to even if you bought something desirable. Nowadays with cars getting major upgrades every year, big discounts off of sticker and unbelievable depreciation its not hard to lose 8-10K if you trade the same year on a 50K car. But it all depends, a few years ago I bought a 2500HD duramax truck when GM had employee pricing minus a 4500 rebate, used it for 18 months, put 26,000 miles on it towing my race car across the country and got more on a trade than I paid for it. But OTOH I lost 15K in 8 months on a POS Audi A6 I bought new that spent more time in the dealer than in my garage and I didnt even care I was so happy to get rid of it. But these days its tough not to loose a LOT on a 40K+ car if you change your mind thats for sure..

Either way I can say I paid a lot more in taxes than I have lost on new cars over the last 30 years, at least I had a choice in where that money went ;)

Andy, with 45 cars in your life (so far), as well as these recient changes with your truck and the Shelby, do you think that you might have ADHD? :headscratch:

No ADHD, The 45 cars was my wife's calculation. I recounted my past and it was 29 cars, 11 motorcycles, 1 fifth wheel trailer and 1 boat. I owned my Toyota Avalone for 13 years and still own the boat. The 09 Platinum was a problem headache truck :banghead: , I really like the style of truck and wanted one that wasn't going to be a problem, so I got the 2010 and all is well.

No one here will really care or understand how hard it was for me to do what I did with the Shelby :cry: , I just felt that I had to sell it before somethng happen.

Also, if someone could have been kind enough to explain how to reduce the size of my pics I would have gladly responed. It bugged me too and I tried but couldn't figure it out. SORRY!

Not totally sure why I did this but I sold my GT500 yesterday. I purchased a new 2010 370Z car, Platinum Graphite with the Sport/Touring package, Nav, front and rear mats. I did a straight trade, title for title so I own this car out right.Out of the 45 cars that I have purchased I got a little choked up when I dropped her off at the dealership :cry: . There was a lot of history behind this car for me. It was one of the five cars allocated to Shelby Autos, long story.

I had a hard time drivng it within the speed limit and always worried about the car, I needed to slow down before I lost my license and my job, have CDL. My Shelby gave me zero problems and was a great car, I'll miss her, but the new one has been around for 40 years and has a long history itself. I actually was looking at vids on this forum and saw the guy from Garage 419 driving Z Roadster to some race track. His partner and him really liked the car and said that they couldn't thing of one thing they didn't like about the car, so I ws curious and stopped by the dealership the next day to take a look and was sold.

Drive safe my friends, I'll always have a passion for Shelbys.

I just did a similar thing but in reverse...

I traded my red 350Z coupe in on a new, Grabber Blue 2010 GT-500...

I loved the Nissan and it was a great car but it always seemed a little cramped for me.

I thought about a new 370Z but they were 6-month away and it wouldn't solve the envelope size so I decided on this route.

You will miss certain features in the GT-500 for sure but the Nissan is also a good alternative.

This is getting pretty deep. Let me get this straight. Your dealer laid a guilt trip on you for buying a truck from another dealer, so you decided that you were going to trade the new 2010 GT500 to him for a Taurus, but then you watched a vid on the forum about the nissan and fell in lust with it, so you said SCREW THAT OTHER DEALER and bought the import.:hysterical:

Now what's the first dealer gonna think of you ?

:lurk:

Why should I care, he dropped the ball and then got all upset about it. I decided against the SHO Tauras because we stilll have the Avalone.I still wanted some type of different sports car, just a little less flashy and not so powerful. Rob, when I owned my 2 Harleys, and this is nothing against you, but the guys I rode with used to have this cocky attitude and say if it wasn't a Harley it wasn't crap (nice word).

You know me and Julie and we are good people, To the jerk that's throwing me under the bus, I'm not a traitor :rant2: , get a life. People have the right to make a choice whether you agree with it or not. I'm opened minded and appreciate all different makes and models of cars, bikes etc. I didn't trade the car to offend anyone.

ALSO, ARE YOU THE SAME WAY ABOUT THE COLOR OF PEOPLE'S SKIN? I KEEP THE SAME OPEN MIND ABOUT PEOPLE AND RESPECT THEIR CHOICES! INSULTING PEOPLE ONLY SHOWS A LACK OF CHARACTER :redcard: .

I just did a similar thing but in reverse...

I traded my red 350Z coupe in on a new, Grabber Blue 2010 GT-500...

I loved the Nissan and it was a great car but it always seemed a little cramped for me.

I thought about a new 370Z but they were 6-month away and it wouldn't solve the envelope size so I decided on this route.

You will miss certain features in the GT-500 for sure but the Nissan is also a good alternative.

I'll bet the guys on the "Z forum " didn't throw you under the bus and make disrespectful comments about either. The new Z pulls 0.99 Lateral g's, top speed of 155mph and turns a respectful 13.5 quarter. It a whole different car from the old 350Z.

Hey OneTrick....don't let these guys bother you. You don't even have to explain why you did it. Just enjoy your new ride!!! For a minute I thought this was SVT Performance site, I had to make sure I was on TS. I give my buddy a hard time for getting his (now get this) Hyundai Genesis Coupe, he had a '97 Cobra. But in the end I'm just busting his chops for fun and he knows it. It's actually a nice ride, I just wouldn't ever buy one. You don't owe anyone here an explanation, and the OP owes you an apology for starting the stupid Traitor thread.

Go have fun in your new ride and don't even bother responding to this anymore!!!

You pay the difference, I couldn't afford one. I paid cash for this car also.

Trading for a GTR (or even calling it trading up which would be honest) is something I don't think anyone here would raise an eyebrow at. That is the only Japanese vehicle that I could stomach and it has the performance to tell anyone who thinks otherwise how wrong they. The problem is it is almost as if you just traded it for a new SS Camaro! (except the Z is foreign). Just not in the same league!

Why should I care, he dropped the ball and then got all upset about it. I decided against the SHO Tauras because we stilll have the Avalone.I still wanted some type of different sports car, just a little less flashy and not so powerful. Rob, when I owned my 2 Harleys, and this is nothing against you, but the guys I rode with used to have this cocky attitude and say if it wasn't a Harley it wasn't crap (nice word).

You know me and Julie and we are good people, To the jerk that's throwing me under the bus, I'm not a traitor :rant2: , get a life. People have the right to make a choice whether you agree with it or not. I'm opened minded and appreciate all different makes and models of cars, bikes etc. I didn't trade the car to offend anyone.

ALSO, ARE YOU THE SAME WAY ABOUT THE COLOR OF PEOPLE'S SKIN? I KEEP THE SAME OPEN MIND ABOUT PEOPLE AND RESPECT THEIR CHOICES! INSULTING PEOPLE ONLY SHOWS A LACK OF CHARACTER :redcard: .

Andy - That comment is below the belt. Sheesh.gif

Yes, I know you and Julie are good people. No question about that.

I don't care if you trade your 500 for a Nissan. That's your decision. I was just commenting on your reasoning. This is a GT500 forum and you don't have to own a car to be a member here.

When a Die hard GT500 owner that expresses extreme passion for his car for over a year ups and trades it for a Nissan out of the clear blue and says he does not know why he did it, he should expect to take a little ribbing. That's all bud. The laughing and smile and winking emotioncon was supposed to get that point across. I guess it didn't.

biggirlpanties.gif

I'm a little late getting to this side topic but basically I had an epiphany the other day. I was doing the same thing, afraid to leave my car in parkades...constantly worrying about it when it's parked in my secured underground parking at work. It was to the point of where I stopped driving it to work because I was too worried something was going to happen to it. Mind you I've only had the car a month so some of it is just the over protectiveness of owning the car. You are right it's no way to live. So I opened my eyes and looked around my parkade, it's full of mercedes, bimmers and porsches that are parked there daily including a mercedes SLS. What are those worth 250k? I'm not even sure. Then I stop by the grocery store after work and guess what's parked there every day, all day with the top down Ferrari F430, I even snapped a picture of it that I'll attach below. Drive the car man. We have insurance for a reason. I know I turned over a new leaf...not going to worry about rock chips and parking it, just going to drive it and have fun. I had a 07 GT for 3 years, went everywhere with it...it was immaculate after 3 years. Not going to worry about it anymore.

On to the main topic...I just can't figure out why you would sell it. All the reasons you've listed aren't making a whole lot of sense since you'll have the same issues with the Z. If you're worried about the Shelby why would you be less worried about the Z, it's not like people will ding it less if they're going to anyway. It's not like it's not a quick and flashy car. I'm confused.

You hit it right on the head brother. I was worrying so much about keeping the car in showroom condition that it took the fun out of driving it. Cloudy...leave the car in the garage. Windy...leave it home. .00001 chance of rain...LEAVE IT HOME!!. DO THEY MAKE AN INFLATABLE PLASTIC BUBBLE??

Well, you get the picture. From now on, I drive the friggin thing, try to be careful by parking away from the crowd and just enjoy it.

My daily driver is a 2010 Honda Accord V/6 coupe and it cost $ 24K (MSRP was 30K )and it is fun to drive. I don't worry about the weather or leaving it out side when camping.I would have looked @ the Z but no back seat or storage. The Z has allways been a great bang for the buck car and the 370 Z for a 6 gets it on. I will say this about the 2011 Mustang V/6 i drove, it was terrible. It felt like a slug in city driving plus the 6speed auto has some warrenty issues.So enjoy your Z as a daily driver .Sorry for getting off topic.

Archived