TEAM SHELBY FORUM

All Shelby's on Quality Hold

Grabber

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If there is such a paint problem wouldn't it affect all cars coming from the plant and not just a select few???

If, and this is a big IF being stretched a lot ---

If robots are programmed to paint the cars, and a Shelby enters the paint booth and gets a pre-programmed coupe painting instead of a Shelby one, then perhaps the panels of the cars that are different could conceivably get less than optimal coverage. I have never been there, so I am just throwing out a complete swag.

Personally, I think everything is okay with the Shelby paint jobs that I have seen, and can't wait until I can inspect my very own !!!

If, and this is a big IF being stretched a lot ---

If robots are programmed to paint the cars, and a Shelby enters the paint booth and gets a pre-programmed coupe painting instead of a Shelby one, then perhaps the panels of the cars that are different could conceivably get less than optimal coverage. I have never been there, so I am just throwing out a complete swag.

Personally, I think everything is okay with the Shelby paint jobs that I have seen, and can't wait until I can inspect my very own !!!

Although the Shelby 1/4 panels, hood and front fenders differ from the std fare must or must gt the painting process is still the same.

Its not the paint itself thats the problem but like any good paint job its all in the preparation. If you leave sanding marks or other stuff in finish its going to show in final product. PPG does the paint for these cars from what I have been told. Excellent paint but the process of getting cars painted needs a little more work.

Grabber especially if you think there has not been paint issues and to start a post trying to make yourself feel better to have people say there car is nice to prove something else wrong..... well what can I say other than Ford would not be sending an engineer out to look at my car if they thought there was not a paint issue now would they?

I cannot say this is current reason why cars are being held up but FoMoCo does have a serious problem in the way cars are being prepped for paint.

If anyone looks at the hood bolts and sees paint chipped off this most likely means the hood was replaced. pure and simple. Not only is ford having paint issues but also others have said body panels are mis-aligned. This is only how many of the approx 10,800 shelbys being built for '07"

... Ford would not be sending an engineer out to look at my car if they thought there was not a paint issue now would they?

The idea of an engineer going to look at your paint job does not mean they believe there is a problem with your paint job. Engineering reps are always travelling around asking dealers if they need them to check anything. When a dealer says they have a customer complaining about something, the rep will look into the issue when they are in the area.

I don't really believe in closing any thread, but this one is getting on my nerves.

Someone is trying to take out his bad experience on the rest of us.

It is getting people who haven't recieved their cars yet to worry about unsubstantiated problems.

QUESTION-----Are they still on hold??????

judy

Not to continue the downer mood, however my car arrived at dealer this past Saturday. Since there has been SO MUCH snow here, I have not bee out to pick up yet. I am just wondering if someone can put together a checklist of all things to review on the car before signing for it.

Paint job - roof above sticker and other side. Look for sanding. use light to ensure smooth paint job.

Transmission - Thoughts here? Crack check.

Shifter - This can be fixed later if an issue.

What else?

Kimbray

Kimbray,

Your transmission should be fine when your car arrives. That is one of the quality Hold checks going on. It sounds like you know what to look for on the paint. Your going to be one happy person when it arrives. :happy feet:

Not to continue the downer mood, however my car arrived at dealer this past Saturday. Since there has been SO MUCH snow here, I have not bee out to pick up yet. I am just wondering if someone can put together a checklist of all things to review on the car before signing for it.

Paint job - roof above sticker and other side. Look for sanding. use light to ensure smooth paint job.

What else?

Kimbray

Look...if you're too worried, I can drive it off the lot for ya! :hysterical: I wouldn't worry tooooooo much. These occurances, from what I understand, are very far & few between. Don't let the goonies get ya', and that's an order!

They almost got me once, and I have to

:hysterical2:Just kidding, they didn't get me!

Anyway, some folks on the web can get a little carried away with their rants (me included!). I suggest everyone take a chill pill and relax. This over-the-top junk is killing me as I can't even read (reed? reid? 'roid? :hysterical: ) verrrrree welll. :banghead:

Let's all stay constructive- with our criticisms- on the thread. Thanks!!!!!

What else?

Kimbray

Paint job? what are you doing all that checking on the paint job for? Someone scare the fear into you?

Transmission crack?

Shifter?

Where have you gotten this info?

I think you can just relax and check the things you normally would on any car. Good luck.

Dave

The idea of an engineer going to look at your paint job does not mean they believe there is a problem with your paint job. Engineering reps are always travelling around asking dealers if they need them to check anything. When a dealer says they have a customer complaining about something, the rep will look into the issue when they are in the area.

Do you have any idea what you are talking about here? If an engineer is going to get on plane in Detroit and come to see my car, is he gong to come here for the fun of it? This is not a rep but an engineer who is coming out to look at it and for your information there is no "dealer" involved. Appears you are assuming too much.

What else?

Kimbray

Kimbray, There is not a consistent problem in exact same areas with the Mustang/Shelby with its paint upon arrival at the dealer. Most problems are getting caught prior to leaving plant. Do your normal walk around on your car to look for dmg etc. There are no specific areas of dmg to look for.

As far as the transmissions thats something grabber came up with and there appears to be no fact to the rumor. Your shifter is bolted to the floor and not at all to your cars tailshaft so the story is bogus. Not saying at all its grabbers deal but thats just what he was told as a cover up at least in the way it was relayed. There are quite a few cars getting out with fitment issues but acceptable to most people. not quite what you want to see but acceptable.

If you walk around the car and are happy with the way it looks do not worry what someone else says about it. Its that simple. Drive it and enjoy the car for what it is.

As far as a check list your dealer is supposed to go over a delivery check list with you. This is something mandatory for dealer to do upon delivery. If this has already been done and you have already looked car over, let it go

My personal belief on the holds is that Ford is trying VERY hard at making these cars EXCEPTIONALLY nice.

So they have a lot of checks.

This car is very special to Ford at a time that they need good publicity.

Every Shelby I have seen (about 8) has been awesome. The fit and the finish.

Just hang in there your car will arrive soon and in great condition. :happy feet:

SCGT500, It turns out there was a problem with too much featherlax in the paint. The problem is now solved! FoMoCo has come to the conclusion to try a different additive, end of story. FoMoCo also issued a memo to all employees (will have to see if I can dig it up) Regarding the drips/sags/runs and how to cure the problem.

I will look for memo and post it later.

I don't really believe in closing any thread, but this one is getting on my nerves.

Someone is trying to take out his bad experience on the rest of us.

It is getting people who haven't recieved their cars yet to worry about unsubstantiated problems.

gettin' on your nerves? go to your local PPG paint store and ask for some featherlax will ya'

Source? Everything that happens on this site is backed by source of information so that rumors are quickly disapated(sp?) . So what is the source?

Yeah when you back of the featherlax the runs stop for sure. Featherlax= same as X-LAX except it "tickles" the shix out of you :hysterical2::hysterical::hysterical2::hysterical::hysterical2:

You would have to know what featherlax was first. Since you have not a clue what featherlax is no need for me to explain now is there? jeesh, and you are a car guy?

I'm a car guy, and I've never heard of featherlax. :shrug: There are different types of car guys. I did all my work on suspensions, brakes, etc. I've never done anything with paint, so I'm clueless there. Perhaps you can educate me on featherlax...in the same way that I've tried to educate others on this site about things I'm knowledgeable of.

Dave

From the World Corporation word search...

Featherlax

Your search - featherlax - did not match any documents.

I found this here, but what it has to do with paint is a mystery to me <lol> (about 1/2-way down page just above pic):

This doesn’t count open and shut cases like the vet who tried to produce disease free pigs by birthing them by Caesarian (didn’t work) or the company that set up shop in the old creamery to make Christmas trees out of feathers. Somebody dubbed it “Feather-lax,” same thing as Ex-lax only it tickles the s--- out of you.” Honest.

Maybe the Bullitt's hyland green paint will be made from recycled Xmas trees :hysterical2:

Prize? Sure there is a prize a train load of featherlax & 2 Hero Cards.. :hysterical2::hysterical::hysterical2:

I gave the answer long ago when asked. its here above in post and also in a couple other posts.

That old saying/joke is so old it stinks :hysterical2::hysterical:

Why do I think the prize is bucket of prop-wash to go with the feather-lax :hysterical2:

---

I think TTB should host a "Ford Toys Day" so we can all meet at his place and drool over his vintage Ford musclecars :spiteful: :devil: :wub::)

Archived