TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Waxing the factory stripes?

We just had to put a new set of hood stripes on our 08 red with black stripes GT 500 and the other stripes look a little glossier, almost like they had wax or polish on them. I could have sworn that I saw a thread somewhere discussing whether it's safe or a good idea to wax the factory stripes. I keep thinking that someone said the original factory stripes have clear coat on them, therefore, it's safe to wax them just like you would clear coat paint. Has anybody waxed their factory stripes? Did it do any harm?

I have yet to wax my stripes. I just avoid them when waxing the SGT. The company that warranted my factory stripes suggested I use a polish made for vinyl and plastic. Here is what he gave me and what I've used with good results in the Arizona heat.

MP81114216_bg.jpg

Interested to hear if others have waxed their stripes too.

I don’t wax the hood stripes, I use detailer on them. When I do the hood, top and back stripes I use Ice detailer. After I spray the stripes I wipe them in the direction of the stripe, not in a circular motion. Then I take a dry micro fiber and wipe off the excess detailer in the same way. They have a nice shine and no scratches. I haven’t had any problems.

I read in other posts about this topic to treat the stripes as you would the finish on the car, so I guess that means that people do wax them.

BTW, my hood stripes are new, put on last October due to scratches that were on them when I bought the car.

Yes you can wax/polish your stripes just like the rest of the car, unless you have matte stripes.

I wax my stripes all the time. only thing to be careful about, especialy if you are using a paste type of wax, is to stay away from the stripe edges....

On the two questions:

- Do the factory stripes come with clearcoat on them from the factory?

Nope. Let's just say pretty obvious they were not as my ride came with white stripes and I changed to red after-market.

- Any problems waxing the stripes?

Nope. Lots of folks here wax them with all sorts of different products. For me, it's Zaino hands down.

Check out that Zaino shine. :superhero:

Wax with pride!

post-19729-127768179086_thumb.jpg

post-19729-127768179086_thumb.jpg

Wax my SS matte black stripes regularly without any issues at all. Just use a good wax with a good UV index.

I don’t wax the hood stripes, I use detailer on them. When I do the hood, top and back stripes I use Ice detailer. After I spray the stripes I wipe them in the direction of the stripe, not in a circular motion. Then I take a dry micro fiber and wipe off the excess detailer in the same way. They have a nice shine and no scratches. I haven’t had any problems.

I read in other posts about this topic to treat the stripes as you would the finish on the car, so I guess that means that people do wax them.

BTW, my hood stripes are new, put on last October due to scratches that were on them when I bought the car.

I have Vista Blue stripes, and have not waxed them yet. However, SKEET is right, when I am drying the car with the chamois, I ALWAYS drag the lenghth of the stripe...NEVER in a circular motion, and my stripes look great! I have heard from many people over the years, and body shop guys, that this product called "ICE" is the best for vinyl. Also works for the lower rockers on the 500, and all the rest of the matte black grainy trim!

Frankly, I'm waiting as long as I posibbly can without waxing mine. I'm a little chicken?!

I've never seen anything in the owners manual about the 500 stripes. But I'm pretty sure that it states not to wax the SGT stripes in the manual from Shelby. Maybe because Ford and Shelby used different vendors? :shrug:

I've never waxed them on either one.

I've never seen anything in the owners manual about the 500 stripes. But I'm pretty sure that it states not to wax the SGT stripes in the manual from Shelby. Maybe because Ford and Shelby used different vendors? :shrug:

I've never waxed them on either one.

They did....hence the SGT stripe failures!

This question comes up often on the forum and my answer is always....

303 Protectant

I have never waxed mine, and after 3 years my stripes look as good or better than the day I bought the car.

I would advise not to use any wax that has any cleaner component to it on your stripes as it may slowly break down the vinyl finish, if you are using pure carnuba I'm sure your just fine. If you are waxing them and the there is any kind of color coming off on the applicator it's not a good sign. After about 2 years my stripes started to show sun spots and some discoloration from sitting in 100 degree heat and I noticed when i was waxing them some color was coming off on the pad :doh: . I had them replaced this spring and they are gorgeous again, not sure if it was defective vinyl or the wax but from now on I only use 100% pure carnuba and blue tape off the stripes out of paranoia.

I was told to use the Plexus spray as well for plastics and vinyl, which I had two cans from the clear bra installers, works great for shine.

Archived