TEAM SHELBY FORUM

opinions on vert wear.....

Hey everyone....I have an 09 vert. Anyways, since just about day one I have had some discolored areas due to the top being down....i.e. wear the fabric rubs. I'm okay with that being I expect that to be normal wear and tear. However, I just noticed today that an area on the piping on my driver's side has a tiny bit of fraying. I'm tempted to trim those frayed threads with a pair of scissors.

BUT, I digress. Do you guys think I should make a stink about it at the dealer or just live with it as being normal wear and tear? I bought the car new last year and it has 12000 miles. Any insight? Any opinions on what to do?

BTW....maybe i should add that I never install the convertible boot when driving with the top down. Now, I'm thinking maybe I caused this myself?....i.e. using the boot keeps the top from rubbing?

Thanks in advance

Melissa

Hey everyone....I have an 09 vert. Anyways, since just about day one I have had some discolored areas due to the top being down....i.e. wear the fabric rubs. I'm okay with that being I expect that to be normal wear and tear. However, I just noticed today that an area on the piping on my driver's side has a tiny bit of fraying. I'm tempted to trim those frayed threads with a pair of scissors.

BUT, I digress. Do you guys think I should make a stink about it at the dealer or just live with it as being normal wear and tear? I bought the car new last year and it has 12000 miles. Any insight? Any opinions on what to do?

BTW....maybe i should add that I never install the convertible boot when driving with the top down. Now, I'm thinking maybe I caused this myself?....i.e. using the boot keeps the top from rubbing?

Thanks in advance

Melissa

Mine has wear / buffing, too. It might not be normal, but it is typical. The dealers will replace it, but to me it isn't worth the risk. Too many places for installer error for me to stomach.

Mine has wear / buffing, too. It might not be normal, but it is typical. The dealers will replace it, but to me it isn't worth the risk. Too many places for installer error for me to stomach.

That's what I'm afraid of. But after some research on here, some of the guys had their tops replaced...an actual full top asembly...and they are happy, though one person has some slight buffing after 900 miles. I look at BMW verts in my area and their tops lok brand new! Anyways, from what I gathered, the top replacement is just removing the WHOLE original one and installing the new one, though the dealers seem to outsource this fix.

This top wear issue is really bothering me.

Melissa, I recommend that you don't trim or cut off any off the frayed piping. You don't use a brush to scrub the top do you? I ask because that could be the main culprit for the threads getting frayed. I use a soft brush to scrub the top when needed, but never run the brush over the stiching.

And in respect to using the top boot cover, you should use it because it's designed to keep the folded top compressed down and that arrests the top from bouncing within the stow-well which is why the rub marks happen.

Considering that you have frayed piping, I would take the car in and get the top replaced. After that, I would use the top boot cover to protect the new top from getting buff marks again.

Yeah....I don't use a brush on my top. I vacuum the top and wash it with a microfiber mitt. I plan on addressing this problem next oil change....and then I will schedule the fix after the summer. Thanks for the input, everyone.

Melissa

Archived