TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Clutches

What is the consensus of gt500 drivers in terms of the life span of the car's stock clutch? Just want to start saving up for the day when I will have to replace it out of pocket... Mind you its a daily driver, but won't be beaten on a daily basis...

I can tell you labor at Ford is $600, plus or minus a little either way. Clutches come in a wide range of prices. You get what you pay for though. My twin disc Ram retails for $1250 plus shipping, which includes the aluminum flywheel and complete clutch/pressure plate package. Mine was for a 4.6L but the prices for the 5.4L are comparable.

Just did the whole set-up on mine. I'd put around $2,000 away for the rainy-day-fund.

What about lifespan though on average?

I doubt you can find a specific answer with such a loaded question & all the variables. Ford's warranty is 1 year 12k miles, classified as a normal wear item. I'm no expert but depending on how & where you drive & how much hp you put down: Average 10k-30k miles (I've seen extremes where they last from 1k - 85k miles), from my experience with 450+rwhp cars. From all different makers not just Ford.

The previous SPEC clutch in my car was toast at 1100 miles. Poor installation or defective, I don't know, but everyone points fingers when this happens. I've made my feelings heard here regarding SPEC clutches; basically, as many like them as those that don't. I would never have one installed in any of my cars again. Their customer service is the worst I've ever dealt with in my life - well, next to Time Warner Cable.

I don't know if this counts or matters in your opinion or hunt for answers, but both of my 03 Cobras had stock clutches. One was a 520 RWHP vert with 20k miles and the other was a 600 RWHP coupe with 11k miles. The Coupe went 10.80's on slicks without a single slip from the stock clutch, ever. I have faith in what Ford supplies us in terms of clutches, I don't however, have faith in the driving ability or style of everyone that drives a Ford. The way you drive a manual transmission car plays a HUGE role in the lifespan of the clutch.

I don't know if this counts or matters in your opinion or hunt for answers, but both of my 03 Cobras had stock clutches. One was a 520 RWHP vert with 20k miles and the other was a 600 RWHP coupe with 11k miles. The Coupe went 10.80's on slicks without a single slip from the stock clutch, ever. I have faith in what Ford supplies us in terms of clutches, I don't however, have faith in the driving ability or style of everyone that drives a Ford. The way you drive a manual transmission car plays a HUGE role in the lifespan of the clutch.

april fools or something a little late?

are you serious

ford had to do wat 4 tsbs on the gt500 clutches lol

ya, real high quality!

Archived