TEAM SHELBY FORUM

WARNING!!

SPEEDY168

I live in Iowa so it gets rather hot and humid this time of year. Yesterday I went out in the garage to find moisture all over the floor. You could actually see my footprints. So, me being the so called "intelligent person" I am, turned the ceiling fan on to dry it out. I went down several hours later to find glass all over the garage and my car !! The globe that covers the ceiling fan light had shattered and rained glass down on the hood. I now have a small 3/8 in slash in my stripe and a small dibit in my hood. I didn't know whether to cry or shoot something or both. I now have to take it and try to get it fixed without going the insurance route, but I`ll do what I have to do. So beware, if you have a ceiling fan or any type of light for that matter above your car make sure everything is secure or it could ruin your day. angry.gif

I live in Iowa so it gets rather hot and humid this time of year. Yesterday I went out in the garage to find moisture all over the floor. You could actually see my footprints. So, me being the so called "intelligent person" I am, turned the ceiling fan on to dry it out. I went down several hours later to find glass all over the garage and my car !! The globe that covers the ceiling fan light had shattered and rained glass down on the hood. I now have a small 3/8 in slash in my stripe and a small dibit in my hood. I didn't know whether to cry or shoot something or both. I now have to take it and try to get it fixed without going the insurance route, but I`ll do what I have to do. So beware, if you have a ceiling fan or any type of light for that matter above your car make sure everything is secure or it could ruin your day. angry.gif

Man, That's a heart breaker. I've had one fan drop the glass globe for no apparent reason, one of the thumb screws must have vibrated loose. The other was an act of God, Hurricane Wilma tore it from the patio awning frame (it spun really fast though) and threw it on the tile below.

For moisture protection, how about laying a couple of sheets of plywood on the floor with visqueen plastic under the wood and parking the car there. Wood naturally absorbs moisture, and is less suceptible to change in temperature than concrete. The moisture barrier under the concrete pad is great for new construction but I believe most of the "barrier effect" is from the R value of visqueen plastic blocking the colder ground temperature.

Man, That's a heart breaker. I've had one fan drop the glass globe for no apparent reason, one of the thumb screws must have vibrated loose. The other was an act of God, Hurricane Wilma tore it from the patio awning frame (it spun really fast though) and threw it on the tile below.

For moisture protection, how about laying a couple of sheets of plywood on the floor with visqueen plastic under the wood and parking the car there. Wood naturally absorbs moisture, and is less suceptible to change in temperature than concrete. The moisture barrier under the concrete pad is great for new construction but I believe most of the "barrier effect" is from the R value of visqueen plastic blocking the colder ground temperature.

Thanks for the recommendations. I live in a condo so I am sure it was probably built as cheap as possible. You try to take care of your car as much as possible, only buy the best stuff for it, dust it all the time, just sit in the garage and look at it ... and something stupid like this happens. Oh well I guess it could have been the whole fan.

Thanks for the recommendations. I live in a condo so I am sure it was probably built as cheap as possible. You try to take care of your car as much as possible, only buy the best stuff for it, dust it all the time, just sit in the garage and look at it ... and something stupid like this happens. Oh well I guess it could have been the whole fan.

Where in Iowa are you?

Home Depot or Lowes used to sell a product that I think was called "Dam Tight"(?). It was a paint like material that was supposed to seal concrete and cement blocks. I don't know how well it would work if your problem is condensation but it might be worth a try. :headscratch:

Good Luck!

Sorry to hear that. Just invest in a decent dehumidifier. I keep my boat and the KR in the garage. After a day on the lake & a wash of the boat, I let the dehumidifier run for a day or two to get all the moisture out. Don't have to worry about mildew in the boat. These things are well worth the money!

Archived