TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2013 Shelby GT500

robertlane

Don't take this personal Robert because it is not intended as such. Consider it a topic at the next staff meeting.

My hope would be that TS members could get some of this inside scoop before the general public. I read this MM article 2 days ago from a link on another website. Insomuch as this is the June issue of MM that means the meeting between CS and Ford must have happened 2-3 months ago?

I would hope that TS could be the leading website for news and information when it comes to all things Shelby.

Don't take this personal Robert because it is not intended as such. Consider it a topic at the next staff meeting.

My hope would be that TS members could get some of this inside scoop before the general public. I read this MM article 2 days ago from a link on another website. Insomuch as this is the June issue of MM that means the meeting between CS and Ford must have happened 2-3 months ago?

I would hope that TS could be the leading website for news and information when it comes to all things Shelby.

Totally agree.

the 2012's should all be a 45th Anniversary models and the 2013's make a 45th Anniversary KR vert :redcard:

Imagine how much $$$$$ they will want for the "GOLDEN 50th Anniversary GT500?????

:hysterical:

oh...........at least $30,000 markup....it will be 'limited production' :hysterical::superhero::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

I am glad to see some discussion on the "LIMITED BUILD" of our beloved 500's!! I am sorry...I love my car, don't get me wrong. However just last month I FINALLY decided to drive it with a whopping 3 year stored 3200 miles on it, due to the fact that looking at it sit in the garage all these years knowing full well they, (Fomoco) built way too many is just ridiculous!

I ordered white / blue stripes for not only heritage reasons for my personal eye candy, but also thought full well if the car was to be "LIMITED", as Ford called it, that would be the color to have 20 years down the road as a garage queen? I was not trying to get rich...that's ridiculous too. I just thought that Ford and CS finally built a retro looking car that I could afford and enjoy for many years to come and get all of my $$$ back someday.

Frankly, after talking to Marcello at SilverHorse Racing a few months back about Mustangs and the GT500 specifically, he pushed me off the fence, with "just modify the car to your liking, and drive it"! Then my neighbor and I , (who drives a Z06), were talking and he said that I was just preserving the car for another fool years down the road that would probably go out and undo all of the fussy preservation. I know of three individuals personally, that are saving '07 GT500's 'in the wrapper'. One of which is a white/blue stripe coupe like mine for the same reason I originally ordered mine, and one who has a Grabber Orange car he thought would be a low production qty.

I digress...sorry! But, as it relates to '12 and '13 models, this is just getting ridiculous now. Not to mention pricing on these cars. The average guy , who frankly is the American muscle enthusiast to begin with, cannot afford these cars today. I know, there is still the regular Mustang GT, that's not too shabby in '11 with 412 hp. for average Joe, but the true enthusiast on a blue collar salary , with a couple of kids, is forced into just driving a GT.

I would have frankly liked to see Ford keep the 07-09 body style (specifically an unchanged rear-end!) and do a mass production Mach I again, or a BOSS car for the masses. All the while preserving the truly heritage 'low production #'s' of the GT500. Is anyone else on board with my line of thinking???

Sorry for the rant!

Bikeboy

yada, yada, yada............Ford plans for whatever makes them $$$............same with the SuperSnake suckers............the mods shops keep opening and building, otherwisethey will go bankrupt............it's all just a business........bottom line, any car is just a lousy investment.............and I do mean any car.

I am glad to see some discussion on the "LIMITED BUILD" of our beloved 500's!! I am sorry...I love my car, don't get me wrong. However just last month I FINALLY decided to drive it with a whopping 3 year stored 3200 miles on it, due to the fact that looking at it sit in the garage all these years knowing full well they, (Fomoco) built way too many is just ridiculous!

I ordered white / blue stripes for not only heritage reasons for my personal eye candy, but also thought full well if the car was to be "LIMITED", as Ford called it, that would be the color to have 20 years down the road as a garage queen? I was not trying to get rich...that's ridiculous too. I just thought that Ford and CS finally built a retro looking car that I could afford and enjoy for many years to come and get all of my $$ back someday.

Frankly, after talking to Marcello at SilverHorse Racing a few months back about Mustangs and the GT500 specifically, he pushed me off the fence, with "just modify the car to your liking, and drive it"! Then my neighbor and I , (who drives a Z06), were talking and he said that I was just preserving the car for another fool years down the road that would probably go out and undo all of the fussy preservation. I know of three individuals personally, that are saving '07 GT500's 'in the wrapper'. One of which is a white/blue stripe coupe like mine for the same reason I originally ordered mine, and one who has a Grabber Orange car he thought would be a low production qty.

I digress...sorry! But, as it relates to '12 and '13 models, this is just getting ridiculous now. Not to mention pricing on these cars. The average guy , who frankly is the American muscle enthusiast to begin with, cannot afford these cars today. I know, there is still the regular Mustang GT, that's not too shabby in '11 with 412 hp. for average Joe, but the true enthusiast on a blue collar salary , with a couple of kids, is forced into just driving a GT.

I would have frankly liked to see Ford keep the 07-09 body style (specifically an unchanged rear-end!) and do a mass production Mach I again, or a BOSS car for the masses. All the while preserving the truly heritage 'low production #'s' of the GT500. Is anyone else on board with my line of thinking???

Sorry for the rant!

Bikeboy

I told you not to tell anyone. :banghead:

Do you guys believe what every marketer tells you? Enough to spend your kids' college fund on one angle of their pitch? :headscratch:

Why would a GT500 be limited production? How many Cobras did SVT build from 93-04? How many times did Ford initially claim 'limited numbers' on those Cobras? The only difference is that next to your Cobra emblem stands the word Shelby.

Same car built by the same group of engineers in the same dingy building in the same crappy town. Get over it and go drive your overpriced, overpowered Mustangs.

baby.gif

Robert, thanks for the lead. I'm shocked that SVT is already redesigning their marquee car, but really excited to see what the old man has up his sleeve this time around!

happy%20feet.gif

I don't care how many or little they make of these cars, they are so much fun!! I have never understood the people that store them and never drive and enjoy. Whether it be SGT, GT500, KR, or the new GT350, if you don't drive it and enjoy it, what is the point of having it?? Yes, we can all find fault and good in each model, but seriously, for the money, what else is out there that gives so many smiles per mile?? Nothing IMO. I have always managed to enjoy most of my cars and still sell for a decent price. In fact, when a car is driven and maintained with tasteful modifications, you can get more for the car to the right person.

A couple years ago, I had a trio of Cobra R's...93, 95, and 00..all had less than 10 miles and had all the plastic, stickers, etc still in place. They were a pain in the A$$ to keep stored properly, oil changes done once a year, fresh gas, batteries kept up, keeping them clean, etc. I was actually happy to sell them as a package deal as I was tired of keeping them up. I know, they were probably the only trio of their kind in the world, but I did not enjoy them. The collector that bought them still has them and says the same thing I do.

A couple months ago, I had a local customer that paid $20K over sticker for his early 07 GT500...he brought the car to my shop as it would not start. Car had 9 miles on it. He never bothered to start the car frequently, change the oil, or drive around the block. I had to replace both fuel pumps and wiring due to bad gas, the car smokes upon start up now as the valve seals are dried out, and all 4 tires are flat spotted...all for what?? He would have been better off to enjoy the car as now it is worth less IMO than one that has been driven and properly maintained.....

I have probably owned over 2500 cars in the past 20 years and have been buying, selling, restoring, modifying, and trading them even before I had my license, mostly Mustangs, Shelbys, Cobras, and various other musclecars, If I couldn't enjoy them, I just sold them....

Alex

I don't care how many or little they make of these cars, they are so much fun!! I have never understood the people that store them and never drive and enjoy. Whether it be SGT, GT500, KR, or the new GT350, if you don't drive it and enjoy it, what is the point of having it?? Yes, we can all find fault and good in each model, but seriously, for the money, what else is out there that gives so many smiles per mile?? Nothing IMO. I have always managed to enjoy most of my cars and still sell for a decent price. In fact, when a car is driven and maintained with tasteful modifications, you can get more for the car to the right person.

A couple years ago, I had a trio of Cobra R's...93, 95, and 00..all had less than 10 miles and had all the plastic, stickers, etc still in place. They were a pain in the A$$ to keep stored properly, oil changes done once a year, fresh gas, batteries kept up, keeping them clean, etc. I was actually happy to sell them as a package deal as I was tired of keeping them up. I know, they were probably the only trio of their kind in the world, but I did not enjoy them. The collector that bought them still has them and says the same thing I do.

A couple months ago, I had a local customer that paid $20K over sticker for his early 07 GT500...he brought the car to my shop as it would not start. Car had 9 miles on it. He never bothered to start the car frequently, change the oil, or drive around the block. I had to replace both fuel pumps and wiring due to bad gas, the car smokes upon start up now as the valve seals are dried out, and all 4 tires are flat spotted...all for what?? He would have been better off to enjoy the car as now it is worth less IMO than one that has been driven and properly maintained.....

I have probably owned over 2500 cars in the past 20 years and have been buying, selling, restoring, modifying, and trading them even before I had my license, mostly Mustangs, Shelbys, Cobras, and various other musclecars, If I couldn't enjoy them, I just sold them....

Alex

I agree. I am just happy to own a car. I chose the old school. I have a 65 Mustang Shelby"Tribute" I will tell you that, if my car were an original, I would still drive the wheels off of it. Face it, if a car was made to sit around and not be driven, the invention of the wheel would have been square. God help me if I ever won the CA lottery. After my wife gets her dreams bought, mine will consist of a couple more Ford and Shelby cars and then drive the S#@* out of them.Just my opinion and dreams! I am glad I joined Team Shelby in March this year. Even though my car is older, I love seeing, hearing, and salivating over the new Shelbys just as much. Keep the Mustang and Shelby fanbase growing. As long as people demand these cars from Ford and Shelby, generations will enjoy them. If their is a demand in the market, they will build more!

Alex

I completely agree with you! I'm hoping to sell my Cobra and buy a GT500 in the next couple years. The only way I will be able to afford it is because they made more than a thousand of them each year. So, thank you Ford and I can't wait to see and hear about the upcoming GT500.

Alex

I couldn't have said any better myself....

Funny you bring this up Robert, I had this exact conversation with Mr. Luft in Tulsa the other morning. There were also some other things he brought up that lets just say I have already asked to get one of since the build will be quite limited! :happy feet:

Bottom line is if you want something no one else is getting, look at buying a Prudhomme, or heck, even Terlinguas are rare and extremely reasonable for pricing. I would expect to see the new V6 powering new bunnies very soon! :shift:

a 50th 2017 to go with my 40th 2007 I like it happy%20feet.gif

oh dam have to build a bigger garage or a second one

I was going to retire in 2017.

Still need to buy too many toys, maybe 2027 is a good year to retire

yada, yada, yada............Ford plans for whatever makes them $$$............same with the SuperSnake suckers............the mods shops keep opening and building, otherwisethey will go bankrupt............it's all just a business........bottom line, any car is just a lousy investment.............and I do mean any car.

Right ON BROTHER !!! Just drive it and enjoy you don't know what tomorrow will bring !!! Look at all that oil it could be last of it and then you'll have to get a real horse to pull you around.

Archived