TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2011 V-6 Mustang

regalt87

FYI I drove a 2011 Mustang V-6 automatic. This was NOT a Car equiped with the optional performance package that will be offered later this year.

The rear end was a 273 so the power was impressive for a V-6 but not great. But I am also used to a modified GT 500!! With 551 RWHP. The optional performance package has a 331 gear and upgrades such as some suspension components from the GT and one from the Shelby GT 500. It may have a cold air and tune as well. ( I don't have this info handy at the moment )

Any way- the reason I posted this was that This car handled and felt just as good as my GT 500. maybe better in some ways ( My car- Watts link. springs, upper control and lower control arms are what I did to make mine better) The V-6 car was truely one of the best handling cars I have ever driven.

If you put a supercharger, 410 gears on one of these with the performance suspension it would really be a hoot to drive. Plus 6 cyl insurance and gas milage.

I too test drove the V-6 today, and came away very impressed. Car I drove unfortunately was also the auto-box, but still felt responsive, with a tight suspension that felt firm yet soaked up the bumps. The seats were very impressive, as was the cabin ergonomics. If they have a performance package later as you mention, that should be an interesting...

• 5 months later...

I want one for a daily driver. Very pleased with the 3.7L V6 that has 305hp. I just wonder if I should wait a year. I hope the engine light doesn't come on like the previous version V6 rentals I drove. Glad to see they finally replaced the 4.0L V6. Al, that Kona Blue is great looking. Very deep blue. That is a great color.

• 2 weeks later...

65795_1359815414654_1809624113_719702_2954202_n.jpg

Picked a black coupe: 2.73 rear end - running 93 octane it's no sloucher. It's definitely got it when you need it unlike the 210hp v6. I rented a couple of those and the engine light came on both times. The first time I could understand because I ran it down the dragstrip 16 times at LVMS during the Shelby 427 event. But the second time I rented a V6 for the 2010 Bash, the light came on the day I returned it and I never was hard on it the whole weekend. Glad to see they put a nice engine in the base model. The 5.0 is significant but I think the 3.7 is just as, if not more, significant for the Mustang.

• 1 month later...

This is my wife's 2011 Grabber Blue MCA that we took delivery of a week ago. The only mods so far was me installing the pedestal spoiler and GT/CS rear fascia. The new GT/CS rear fascia is not yet pictured. I still have a Magnaflow Street Series Axleback to install next weekend. Afterwards, I take more photos.

It's an Automatic built on 1/7 with 3.31 axle, HIDs, Comfort Package and Security Package.

IMG_4949.jpg

IMG_4948.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just noticed this thread about the 11 V6

I picked up one for my DD about a month ago. This thing is sweet !!

We have a little of everything at home but this one is just fun to drive. I would call it nimble and responsive. It's comfortable, quick, and looks great. It is an automatic with 3.31 gearing. I really thought hard about getting the manual but since it is my commuter car lazy overtook fun. The auto is no slouch though and is very responsive. It won't run with the 5.0 but I bet it would give some late model hot rods a run for their money.

I have already started changing it up a little. I have added the perfromance package engine cover and strut brace and have a set of Borla Type S mufflers on the way. The dealer scratched my rear lower facia so they are replacing that with the GT500 version. I will probably go with a GT500 spoiler just so I don't end up looking identical to the wife's GT/CS.

IMAG0050.jpg

IMAG0046.jpg

• 3 months later...

I have already started changing it up a little. I have added the perfromance package engine cover and strut brace and have a set of Borla Type S mufflers on the way. The dealer scratched my rear lower facia so they are replacing that with the GT500 version. I will probably go with a GT500 spoiler just so I don't end up looking identical to the wife's GT/CS.

Below is a more recent photo of my wife's pony. She asked that I make its rear end look just like a GT/CS, so I installed the pedestal spolier, GT500 - GT/CS rear valance and magnaflow axlebacks myself.

IMG_4978.jpg

I have been told by many people that Autocross that the 2005 and UP V6 Mustang is a lot better to Autocross in then the GT.

I'd guess that with equal investment of money and development, the 2005+ V6 would be pretty close to or better than the GT. I have done some SCCA Solo 1 (autocross) with both a convertible V6 and a coupe GT/CS with similar suspension modifications and CAI/tunes. The critical difference between them was the tires: Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 275-35x19 on the V6, Goodyear Eagle Supercar 285-40x18 on the GT/CS.

I believe the V6 was easier to drive to its limit, but the GT had a higher limit. If my career depended on absolute performance in autocross, I'd have to choose the GT as having higher built-in potential: a bit harder to manage, maybe a little less balanced platform, but tunable to the same kind of performance handling-wise, and—naturally—more ultimate power.

Power is not as important in autocross as in track and strip racing, but given equal suspension, tires, and driver skill, it can be the decider.

The fun-factor was pretty much in favor of the V6.

I have been told by many people that Autocross that the 2005 and UP V6 Mustang is a lot better to Autocross in then the GT.

I'd guess that with equal investment of money and development, the 2005+ V6 would be pretty close to or better than the GT. I have done some SCCA Solo 1 (autocross) with both a convertible V6 and a coupe GT/CS with similar suspension modifications and CAI/tunes. The critical difference between them was the tires: Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 275-35x19 on the V6, Goodyear Eagle Supercar 285-40x18 on the GT/CS.

I believe the V6 was easier to drive to its limit, but the GT had a higher limit. If my career depended on absolute performance in autocross, I'd have to choose the GT as having higher built-in potential: a bit harder to manage, maybe a little less balanced platform, but tunable to the same kind of performance handling-wise, and—naturally—more ultimate power.

Power is not as important in autocross as in track and strip racing, but given equal suspension, tires, and driver skill, it can be the decider.

The fun-factor was pretty much in favor of the V6.

Archived