TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Mileage on Ebay 2011 GT500's

TX08SS

I'm in the market for a 2011 GT500 and was browsing through Ebay. I'm surprised with the mileage "some" dealers put on these cars. These dealers must put joyriding above sales, because anything above 15 miles on a new car, especially a $60,000 car, is a dealbreaker for me. If there are any dealers that would like to respond please do, I'm curious to know why this happens.

I believe some of the ones on eBay have been driven too much since dealer arrival. However it may have came with quite a few miles on it. You have to remember a lot of cars were in Flat Rock for a while. They may have been moved a bit if the "recalls" or "holds" were true. My car was built and delivered within two weeks and arrived this past week. It had 18 miles on it when it rolled off the truck. So you may need to adjust your 15mi rule to 25 or 30.

I believe some of the ones on eBay have been driven too much since dealer arrival. However it may have came with quite a few miles on it. You have to remember a lot of cars were in Flat Rock for a while. They may have been moved a bit if the "recalls" or "holds" were true. My car was built and delivered within two weeks and arrived this past week. It had 18 miles on it when it rolled off the truck. So you may need to adjust your 15mi rule to 25 or 30.

how about some pics??

how about some pics??

No worries. I'll post them up once I get the car. Car came in Friday and cut a radiator hose while coming off the truck. Hose was misrouted and fan belt cut wore through it. New part eta is Tuesday and I'm flying in Wednesday to get it. Glad it didn't happen on the drive back to Florida!

No worries. I'll post them up once I get the car. Car came in Friday and cut a radiator hose while coming off the truck. Hose was misrouted and fan belt cut wore through it. New part eta is Tuesday and I'm flying in Wednesday to get it. Glad it didn't happen on the drive back to Florida!

if your stopping in Atl,give me a yell and ill buy you a cup of coffee,or a beer.Send me a PM if your interested and ill give you my cell---good luck--bob

Some of these cars do come in with more than 10 miles. Then we turn the Supercharger on which takes five miles. On the five mile drive is when you also do the check to make sure everything is OK. We have an 11 with 34 miles on it. I think it came in with 15 or so on it. I drove it to turn on the SC. I think I have went up town a time or two also! 50 miles aint going to hurt the car. I would rather someone put a few miles on it and find anything thats wrong than me jump in my new car and have a tire out of balance!

MM

you should look for a small sticker on the drivers window, a lot of times vehicles come in with up to 60 miles on them or more,, some times they pull vehicles off the line to qc and test drive,, and the dealers have no control on what happens before it gets to us

Some of these cars do come in with more than 10 miles. Then we turn the Supercharger on which takes five miles. On the five mile drive is when you also do the check to make sure everything is OK. We have an 11 with 34 miles on it. I think it came in with 15 or so on it. I drove it to turn on the SC. I think I have went up town a time or two also! 50 miles aint going to hurt the car. I would rather someone put a few miles on it and find anything thats wrong than me jump in my new car and have a tire out of balance!

MM

I'm not sure if this is National or not, but in California there's a figure that can't be exceeded for it to be considered a "NEW CAR". I thought it was 40 miles but it might be 60. My best friend is the F&I manager at a multi-line GM dealer and when I got my Pontiac GTP from him it had 13 miles on it. I asked about it, that's when he told me the number (that was in 1992 so things may have changed).

Also when I bought my wife a new Honda Prelude they originally sold it to me as "NEW". That was back in the "allocation days" and they called my car a "Demo" to get the extra allocation. DMV kicked it back since I paid NEW CAR title/reg and said it was a "USED" car (even though there were no miles on it) because of it's Demo status. I got a BUNCH of money back from them because of the difference. And personally, I could care less if it was legally a new or used car (be definition) since it had less than 5 miles on it and I knew it was new.

Cali has a few different laws than other states. For instance, when I bought my GT500 in Colo., I didn't pay the DMV title or reg with the car. I had to do that after the fact at DMV where as CA includes it in the final price of the car.

Also, CO has a "cool down period" of 3 days. If you don't like the car for ANY reason, you can return it within 3 days and get a full refund. Not in Cali. Once you take delivery of the car, it's yours and there's no such thing as buyers remorse. And yes, people DO take advantage of the 3-day cool down law. My son's neighbor bought a really nice truck, took it up into the hills and went wheelin', put boo-coo miles on and and returned it on the third day. Full refund and they can't ask questions (it doesn't matter what the reason is).

I'm sure there's other states with other laws/rules/regs too. I just thought the 3-day cool down period in CO was strange...

Phill

MM

I'm pretty sure I can drive the 5 miles it takes to start the supercharger, it's part of the breaking in process as far as I'm concerned. And as far as dealers driving it to see if anything is wrong with the car, I can do that myself. Lets be real Michael, you guys drive these cars around just for the fun. Don't get me wrong Michael, and other dealers out there, I would probably do the same thing......Not saying it's right though.

That happen to my 2010 gt500:( It sucks but worth the wait!!!

I was at my dealership when my 2010 came rolling in on the truck.

It had been back and forth from the rail yard to the holding pen many times as it was an early delivery car.

It had 37 miles on it when the truck driver backed it off the trailer, AND the Supercharger was still not "activated", so I'm confident the car was not abused before I drove it home. On my 8-mile drive home the supercharger came alive...

MANY cars, especially these limited production pieces, have test miles on them when they arrive.

TX08SS- Don't assume someone went out joyriding with your baby, and don't assume you know everything about these cars and that you don't need the dealer to check it out before you bring it home. EVERY car needs the PDI sheet signed off.

And NO, I'm not a dealer nor do i work for a dealer...

I was at my dealership when my 2010 came rolling in on the truck.

It had been back and forth from the rail yard to the holding pen many times as it was an early delivery car.

It had 37 miles on it when the truck driver backed it off the trailer, AND the Supercharger was still not "activated", so I'm confident the car was not abused before I drove it home. On my 8-mile drive home the supercharger came alive...

MANY cars, especially these limited production pieces, have test miles on them when they arrive.

TX08SS- Don't assume someone went out joyriding with your baby, and don't assume you know everything about these cars and that you don't need the dealer to check it out before you bring it home. EVERY car needs the PDI sheet signed off.

And NO, I'm not a dealer nor do i work for a dealer...

Ok, I feel much better about the higher mileage. Thanks for the responses.

I'm pretty sure I can drive the 5 miles it takes to start the supercharger, it's part of the breaking in process as far as I'm concerned. And as far as dealers driving it to see if anything is wrong with the car, I can do that myself. Lets be real Michael, you guys drive these cars around just for the fun. Don't get me wrong Michael, and other dealers out there, I would probably do the same thing......Not saying it's right though.

Of course dealer drive them for FUN!!

But I do disagree with you on the PDI drive. On the GT500s Im the ONLY one that drives the cars! The tech does his PDI and then I drive the car and turn on the SC and check to make sure its NOT running hot and the the tires are balanced correctly. I would VERY upset if I bought a 60K Mustang (or any car) and something was wrong with it on the drive home because the dealer didnt check it because I didnt want them to put 10 miles on it. Are cars ABUSED sometimes by techs? Dang skippy! It happens alot, but because I know how Shelby folks are I keep the keys to ALL Shelbys in my desk!

MM

Congrats dude, can't wait to see it :)

The best part of my GT500 buying experience was when I was on the freeway and the supercharger turned on. I will never forget it and it made it feel like it was now my car. I would have been very disappointed if my dealer had taken the liberty of turning my supercharger on. I'm pretty surprised to learn that some dealers are doing this. I thought one of the main points of the supercharger system was to have it disengaged so that dealers don't joy-ride them?

"Turn Supercharger On" is not part of the PDI sheet for a GT500.

Never said it was

When we started selling GT500s in 07 ALOT of folks asked about the superchargers. The dealers NEVER told them they had to drive them to turn them on! I have SOLD ALOT of GT500s and I dont think ONE person complained about the supercharger being turned on. I bought a NEW 08 and had it dropped shipped to a dealer in Vegas. They delivered the car to Shelby for me and I never asked if they would or wouldnt turn it on.

I understand about it being YOUR car and wanting to do it yourself. But I guess I just dont understand why some folks would get upset about it being turned on. Maybe if the car was ordered for YOU!

MM

Michael, I know you're a great dealer and I am not trying to take anything away from you. You likely have the best reputation among TS Members which says a lot. I would buy a car from you in a heartbeat. I'm just stating that I find it odd that some dealers, and not necessarily you in particular, are activating the superchargers on their own accord, without buyer consent. Like I said, it was the best part of buying the vehicle for me, and is something I will never forget. Having been on this Forum for a few years now, I can't tell you how many posts I've read from other owners stating the same thing. "It's so awesome when the supercharger kicks in", etc. That said, everyone has their own preference. I just know that in the future if and when I buy a car from you, and I probably will some day, I will ask that you NOT activate the supercharger. :)

Michael, I know you're a great dealer and I am not trying to take anything away from you. You likely have the best reputation among TS Members which says a lot. I would buy a car from you in a heartbeat. I'm just stating that I find it odd that some dealers, and not necessarily you in particular, are activating the superchargers on their own accord, without buyer consent. Like I said, it was the best part of buying the vehicle for me, and is something I will never forget. Having been on this Forum for a few years now, I can't tell you how many posts I've read from other owners stating the same thing. "It's so awesome when the supercharger kicks in", etc. That said, everyone has their own preference. I just know that in the future if and when I buy a car from you, and I probably will some day, I will ask that you NOT activate the supercharger. :)

I agree with Dub. So Michael, from here on out you are ordered to STOP turning on the superchargers on your dealerships new GT500's! haha.

Wow, mine had 92 miles on, maybe it was time to trade it in lol. It was delivered to the first dealer wirth 30 miles on it, the GM drove it home once, between that and transport it had 80 miles on it and the dealer I bought it from put another 12 miles on it after four months.

I would have liked to have 5 miles on it when I picked it up but honestly this car had zero rust under it and was in better shape than a couple cars I picked up the day they came off the hauler. But it really didnt matter much anyhow since I ended up driving it home 200 miles in the rain and whether it had 205 miles or 292 it was just a dirty white Mustang :)

What's the big deal? It's no more special than someone driving the car for the first time with 5,000 miles on it and feeling the supercharger kick in for the first time. I don't get what this excitement is that you're referring to about it being the "first time". Everyone experiences it for a "first time".

If you want to feel something special give it a set of gears so it doesn't feel so chicken sh!t all the time when it's out of boost.

I'm in the market for a 2011 GT500 and was browsing through Ebay. I'm surprised with the mileage "some" dealers put on these cars. These dealers must put joyriding above sales, because anything above 15 miles on a new car, especially a $60,000 car, is a dealbreaker for me. If there are any dealers that would like to respond please do, I'm curious to know why this happens.

I went to pick mine up from the dealer and it had 23.9 miles and I was like whats up with the extra miles. I told him it should be around 13-15 like the rest. Then I got to looking through the car after hearing about the Holds and recalls and in the glove box there was a SVT tag that stated there were an additional 10.9 miles put on the car for a road test at the SVT track I can't remember the name of it right now and the tag is in my owners manual out in the garage. I was at the dealership about 8 hours after the car came off the truck and was a little heated about the extra miles but after finding the tag it put my mind at ease, a little. I mean I'm not going to turn a GT500 away but I would have made him go lower with out the SVT tag. Mine came with the PPack so I don't know if these are all getting a road test from SVT after the fact but without the SVT tag in the glove box I would buy from someone else because someone who will be out joy ridding in a GT500 before someone else buys it wont know how to drive itlike a racecar when it cant be yet. They also have a break in period too. For the S/C of 50 starts or 500 wichever is first before it will engage and be at full power. The engine is supposed to be about 1000 miles before it sealed up all the way and will have a distinct smell because of the coating that will get considerably weaker the closer you get to 1000.

Hope this helps.

No worries!!

On the retail units I think I always asked! Lawdude, a TS member picked his car up after we put the cooling system on it. It had NEVER been out of the drive way. So he drove it up the road and turned the SC on himself! It dont matter to me who turns it on!

Look forward to helping you with a car!!

MM

I guess I'll add my 2 cents. If I ordered a Shelby, I would be there when it was backed off truck and into the tech stall. I drive it with tech in pass seat (if dealer throws hissy fit) for PDI. I drive it home to turn on the S/C. This is MY car and the dealer is only a necessary evil in the transaction. If I would find anyone but me in the driver's seat :deal is off.

NOTHING pisses me off more than a dealer who acts like these Shelbys(or any vehicle for that matter) are to joy ride in or cruise around in for the weekend. :censored::censored::censored: There is absolutely NO reason whatsoever to "turn the s/c on" prior to delivery. It is 100% for the dealer to get off driving a new Shelby. If I'm buying it then I want that person to be me. It is not a "perk" to being a dealer , it should be up to the consumer if they want a dealer to joy ride in the purchaser's new Shelby. Or maybe if it was a retail car then the dealer could have a sign that read : " Thanks for letting me joy ride in your new vehicle!"

The dealer I buy from knows how much of a PITA I am and respects my wishes to a T. I've bought many new vehicles over the years from him and this is the main reason why. My KR had 8.9 miles on it at delivery even with the conversion at Las Vegas ( it had 8.7 on it when it arrived from LV). There is NO reason for a dealer to put more than 1 mile on ANY new car for ANY reason! Ok , I'm done crying now and I feel much better. :baby:

Sorry just a big pet peeve of mine... I think I need to go for a joy ride :shift:

I guess I'll add my 2 cents. If I ordered a Shelby, I would be there when it was backed off truck and into the tech stall. I drive it with tech in pass seat (if dealer throws hissy fit) for PDI. I drive it home to turn on the S/C. This is MY car and the dealer is only a necessary evil in the transaction. If I would find anyone but me in the driver's seat :deal is off.

NOTHING pisses me off more than a dealer who acts like these Shelbys(or any vehicle for that matter) are to joy ride in or cruise around in for the weekend. :censored::censored::censored: There is absolutely NO reason whatsoever to "turn the s/c on" prior to delivery. It is 100% for the dealer to get off driving a new Shelby. If I'm buying it then I want that person to be me. It is not a "perk" to being a dealer , it should be up to the consumer if they want a dealer to joy ride in the purchaser's new Shelby. Or maybe if it was a retail car then the dealer could have a sign that read : " Thanks for letting me joy ride in your new vehicle!"

The dealer I buy from knows how much of a PITA I am and respects my wishes to a T. I've bought many new vehicles over the years from him and this is the main reason why. My KR had 8.9 miles on it at delivery even with the conversion at Las Vegas ( it had 8.7 on it when it arrived from LV). There is NO reason for a dealer to put more than 1 mile on ANY new car for ANY reason! Ok , I'm done crying now and I feel much better. :baby:

Sorry just a big pet peeve of mine... I think I need to go for a joy ride :shift:

kinda have to agree...when I buy a "new" car, I expect it to be as close to "zero" as possible...When I picked up my '09 Challenger SRT8, it had about 3 miles on the clock....I know its not the "specialty" vehicle that the GT500 is, but it did get moved around from one location to the next a few times prior to delivery, and STILL had less than 4 miles at delivery....

I'm glad these cars aren't as fragile as all you girls are making them out to be.

And what's up with turning the SC on and off? The computer doesn't control boost like a turbo car, that's why the boost is handled via pulley changes. I assumed the reduction in power was via retarded timing or reduced fuel delivery???

I'm glad these cars aren't as fragile as all you girls are making them out to be.

And what's up with turning the SC on and off? The computer doesn't control boost like a turbo car, that's why the boost is handled via pulley changes. I assumed the reduction in power was via retarded timing or reduced fuel delivery???

Rev limiter and throttle blade limiter.

mine also had 13 miles on it, i didn't even let the dealer prep the car i drove home with the white tape on parts of the car the dealer also said they had to test drive for gas, and inspection of some sort , (bullshit) i got the car with no gas, did not complain about that because i told them not to drive it or did i want there prep guy testing my car , so where did the 13 miles come from, i have seen cars milage range from 2 miles 40 miles to some on ebay selling as new with 400 miles on them i would not except a car with that kind of milage and be considered new how do somecars get this milage , when i got my termi in 04 it came with a paper stating it was one of the cars that was tested by ford thats ok but not someone in a dealership who wants to take a joy ride on your money

Archived